corcaigh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsuntaro View Post
Triumph GT6 1976
Daily driver
Licence for 20 years.
10 years of no claims.
No points.

I'm from the UK and in the process of moving over to Ireland. I had the Triumph as my only car in the UK (named driver on wife's). I am now a named driver on my wife's car insurance here in Ireland.

I imported the car, thinking it's the right thing to do. Paid the VRT man, got Irish reg number and now can't find anyone to insure me. They all want me to be the primary driver on another car in Ireland (for classic car insurance), which is crazy, we don't need three cars, I just use my wife's car for any long distances. All I want is normal insurance on an old car, but they all seem to have a 20 year old car age limit, which is nonsense. I'll even take third-party at this point. I've tried Axa, First Ireland, Carole Nash, FBD, AIG, and countless others.

I thought sod it, I'll just export it back to the UK, keep my insurance on it there, a long as Brexit doesn't screw everything up, EU law states that I'll have unlimited third party in Ireland, which is good enough for me. The problem here is I don't get my Irish log book until I tax the car, and I can't tax the car without insurance, and I can't get insurance!!! But I really don't want to have to export it back, I'd much rather find insurance here in Ireland.

Any suggestions welcome.

Welcome to Ireland and the nonsensical insurance rules in place.

You don't need to insure your vehicle to tax it.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-12-2020, 18:21   #812
danielsuntaro

On motortax.ie it asks for your insurance company, policy number and expiry date before letting you go to the payment page. As joefuss1986 suggested, I just put some random details in and it worked! Obviously some bright spark thought adding an extra step to make it harder to pay your taxes was a good idea.

Just need to find someone to insure me now. At least my log book should arrive in the post now.
22-12-2020, 19:21   #813
frozenfrozen

Quote:
On motortax.ie it asks for your insurance company, policy number and expiry date before letting you go to the payment page. As joefuss1986 suggested, I just put some random details in and it worked! Obviously some bright spark thought adding an extra step to make it harder to pay your taxes was a good idea.

Just need to find someone to insure me now. At least my log book should arrive in the post now.
have you had the car parked up this whole time because the log book didn't arrive?
Thanks from:
22-12-2020, 21:33   #814
danielsuntaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenfrozen View Post
have you had the car parked up this whole time because the log book didn't arrive?
Yep. Also no insurance so can’t drive it until that’s sorted.
(3) thanks from:
15-01-2021, 13:25   #815
galwaytt

Send a message via Skype™ to galwaytt
Fwiw, the annual ring-around:

53, full licence,
Full Aviva NCB, spouse with Aviva on her car, and full NCB with them too.
AIM Advanced Driving
RoSPA Advanced - Gold
No points on licence - ever
2400 miles a year

Won't quote.

Reason ? Car age: it's an 06 Clio 1.2

www.123.ie wont' quote either, same reason.

FBD won't quote either

Any suggestions

Last edited by galwaytt; 15-01-2021 at 13:33.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-01-2021, 16:26   #816
SCOOP 64

Surprised no quote on a 06 ?
15-01-2021, 16:32   #817
beertons

HMod: TCH
Was going to come on and say FBD, as that's who I am with. No hassle with my 03 so far.
15-01-2021, 17:11   #818
BronsonTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post

53, full licence,
AIM Advanced Driving
RoSPA Advanced - Gold
2400 miles a year

Won't quote.

FBD won't quote either

Any suggestions

Must be an underwriter rule with it 15 years??
Don't feel an 06 should be hard to insure on age but time is passing I suppose...

Try brokers rather than the companies direct, sometimes they have more luck than going direct as they give a volume of business rather than an individual. (More revenue)

Scanlon Insurances Limited
itsforwomen (Men too)
Campion Insurances Ltd

Last edited by BronsonTB; 15-01-2021 at 17:13. Reason: added suggestions
(2) thanks from:
15-01-2021, 19:08   #819
corcaigh1

Quote:
Originally Posted by galwaytt View Post

53, full licence,
AIM Advanced Driving
RoSPA Advanced - Gold
2400 miles a year

Won't quote.

FBD won't quote either

Any suggestions

AXA about the only insurance company now that will quote for "older" vehicles, expect a higher quotation.

Absolute f*cking scandal

Last edited by corcaigh1; 15-01-2021 at 19:38.
Advertisement
15-01-2021, 19:17   #820
phester28

Also Chill insurance.

They were fine on my 98 BMW until this year when it went beyond what I was willing to pay so bought a new daily and put the old car onto classic with carol nash
Thanks from:
16-01-2021, 18:54   #821
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

+1 on trying Chill. They seem to have a dept/broker on board for older cars and they've been fine on my 98 Jap import, though raised the premium this year. Not by much, pretty much exactly by the same amount as the insurance "refund" earlier last year. I had the feeling that would only be resting in my account... From what I gathered older driver, no points or claims and owning the car for a while seem to be factors.
(2) thanks from:
17-01-2021, 14:48   #822
SCOOP 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
+1 on trying Chill. They seem to have a dept/broker on board for older cars and they've been fine on my 98 Jap import, though raised the premium this year. Not by much, pretty much exactly by the same amount as the insurance "refund" earlier last year. I had the feeling that would only be resting in my account... From what I gathered older driver, no points or claims and owning the car for a while seem to be factors.

im with BOI for my 98 Astra, coincidence same us you gone up the same amount as the the insurance refund earlier in year , must want it back with older cars
(2) thanks from:
17-01-2021, 18:57   #823
galwaytt

Quote:
Triumph GT6 1976
Daily driver
Licence for 20 years.
10 years of no claims.
No points.

I thought sod it, I'll just export it back to the UK, keep my insurance on it there, a long as Brexit doesn't screw everything up, EU law states that I'll have unlimited third party in Ireland, which is good enough for me. The problem here is I don't get my Irish log book until I tax the car, and I can't tax the car without insurance, and I can't get insurance!!! But I really don't want to have to export it back, I'd much rather find insurance here in Ireland.

Any suggestions welcome.
Sirry for your trouble, but just a couple of things:

Brexit does screw things up.
But even before it did, your UK insurance is based on UK domicile- which you don't have.
And unless it specifically says otherwise, the cover is usually restricted to 30-day periods outside the UK, per trip. I have a relation from Caerphilly who fell foul of that a number of years ago, here in Galway.....a very expensive lesson ensued.
Finally, your licence. If you live here, you have to surrender your UK one. At which point you as an Irish driver are precluded from driving a non-Irish registered car anyway....

Yes, the whole system is complete sh1t.
(3) thanks from:
17-01-2021, 19:01   #824
galwaytt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
Just did: quoted me €593.....

Last edited by galwaytt; 17-01-2021 at 19:12.
(2) thanks from:
28-01-2021, 15:42   #825

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I have a 2003 VW Passat. I am not driving it at the moment so I suspended the insurance.
I have a crap camper that I am driving around with.

I am wondering am I storing up trouble for myself by suspending my car insurance as 1) Camper insurance states I must have car insurance.
2) If I do not renew my car insurance and just drive on using my old camper, will I have a no claims bonus issue.

Thanks,

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion