Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How hard is it to get the rolex you want

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I think with all the madness that brands like Tudor, Zenith, and to a lesser extent Omega can take advantage.

I for one would love a ceramic daytona SS, but the cost is outrageous. The tudor black bay chrono or the heritage chrono is much better value and now has a high quality movement that is sort of in house. I suppose these brands fill in that gap where your willing to spend a bit of cash on a non "Sh1tter" but you dont want the worry of a piece the cost of a car. Tudors brand is making headway.

If your in the PP zone this makes no difference, but the usual SS Rolex guy like me is being priced out of the market. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

So thanks to all who replied, I've been to a jewllers in Ireland that had a batman in the safe and one in Zurich that had a Pepsi on display. Each to their own but the Pepsi won out for me so I've put my name on the wait list for one (3 and 2 years respectively 😱) not in a rush so happy to wait.... Not paying over RRP so let's see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭893bet

Bren_C wrote: »
    So thanks to all who replied, I've been to a jewllers in Ireland that had a batman in the safe and one in Zurich that had a Pepsi on display. Each to their own but the Pepsi won out for me so I've put my name on the wait list for one (3 and 2 years respectively ��) not in a rush so happy to wait.... Not paying over RRP so let's see how it goes

Unless supply or market conditions change you may never get to the top of the list. Unfortunately that seems to be the way it is working at this point for certain models.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

Yeah I know that's a risk but will look at it again in 24months and pick a new watch if needed, air king and speedmaster aren't bad backups!

Bren_C wrote: »
    Yeah I know that's a risk but will look at it again in 24months and pick a new watch if needed, air king and speedmaster aren't bad backups!

Keep an eye out on adverts and the sale thread here. Hard to argue with 2nd hand. Easily sell on for a small loss or even a small profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

I asked this in this thread already but it wasn't picked up, is there decent resale value on the "lesser" rolex models than the Pepsi type?? Eg say (as the person who started the discussion has now said) an air king? (or say an explorer or sub). I can obviously look at second hand asking prices, but I've no idea if those asking prices are realistic.

Would be very interested to hear opinions on what might be the safest option (from a possible future resale perspective) between dropping approx 5k on an air King, or 6500 on a sub, or 7500 on a gmt....

Thanks and will drop it after this if nobody responds!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Buying any Rolex is the equivalent of buying Bitcoin 10 years ago... It'll make you rich. Just don't wear it or enjoy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Buying any Rolex is the equivalent of buying Bitcoin 10 years ago... It'll make you rich. Just don't wear it or enjoy it...

Not really. It’s only particular steel sports models that perform well and even then the Explorer 1(does okay) & 2, Milgauss and Airking won’t see you making any positive returns. Precious metal models nearly all sell below RRP and the Cellini line is a complete money burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I asked this in this thread already but it wasn't picked up, is there decent resale value on the "lesser" rolex models than the Pepsi type?? Eg say (as the person who started the discussion has now said) an air king? (or say an explorer or sub). I can obviously look at second hand asking prices, but I've no idea if those asking prices are realistic.

Would be very interested to hear opinions on what might be the safest option (from a possible future resale perspective) between dropping approx 5k on an air King, or 6500 on a sub, or 7500 on a gmt....

Thanks and will drop it after this if nobody responds!

if you want to protect your initial investment, a sub or black bezelled gmt at rrp or a little less is your best bet (being models that you can get at RRP or close to it if patient)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

The Cellini line is a complete money burner.

Just checked there and you can get a 2011 18k Gold Cellini on Chrono for €3,000. I hope this holds true. I love this model of Cellini which currently retails at around €20k.

456720.jpg

All I have to do is wait another 6 years and pick this baby up for the bargain of €3k :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

oxocube wrote: »
    Just checked there and you can get a 2011 18k Gold Cellini on Chrono for €3,000. I hope this holds true. I love this model of Cellini which currently retails at around €10k.

All I have to do is wait another 6 years and pick this baby up for the bargain of €3k :rolleyes:

That's really nice, does seem excessively cheap though.

Edit: Just checked they're a bit funky aren't they. Wonder would the likes of Obama have slowed depreciation down a bit for those current models.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

I'm on the fence. I would consiser an explorer or maybe even consider the new OP 39mm but the fact that I haven't had either on my wrist doses not help. There was some in Dubai airport when I was passing through but I hadn't the time to stop for a right look. Sickened I didn't.

2shea wrote: »
    I'm on the fence. I would consiser an explorer or maybe even consider the new OP 39mm but the fact that I haven't had either on my wrist doses not help. There was some in Dubai airport when I was passing through but I hadn't the time to stop for a right look. Sickened I didn't.

They're not hard watches to come by. Liked the new dial OPs when they were unveiled, but thought they were extremely plain in the metal.

They're not hard watches to come by. Liked the new dial OPs when they were unveiled, but thought they were extremely plain in the metal.

I remember seeing explorers in all the shops carried rolex. But of course when I get interested in that model they are not stock. I haven't been in London for a while. Might pop over one of my days off for a look around. Where have you seen the OP and explorers?

2shea wrote: »
    I remember seeing explorers in all the shops carried rolex. But of course when I get interested in that model they are not stock. I haven't been in London for a while. Might pop over one of my days off for a look around. Where have you seen the OP and explorers?

London is probably the worst place in the world to be looking for Rolex watches. Keanes in Cork had all the less desirable SS model last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I was in Stuttgart airport in May and the watch shop had any amount of Rolex that i would often see there is little or no supply of here. Similar story in Amsterdam airport in November when we were passing through

OmegaGene wrote: »
    No it’s not lol
    I was there last week and went to selfridges watch room, tried on a rose gold Daytona, they have plenty of stock but if you want a discount forget it

any subs or gmts?

rose gold daytona isnt hard to get to be fair.

No it’s not lol
    I was there last week and went to selfridges watch room, tried on a rose gold Daytona, they have plenty of stock but if you want a discount forget it

But reality, OmegaGene. Countless threads on the rolexForums and TZ-UK decrying the stock levels in London. The place is notoriously difficult to get desired models at the moment, what with the supply, value of the pound and the level of income that goes through there. I didn’t see a single sought after model in my time there last month. A moped gang hit WOS on reagent st the day after I was there and they didn’t score a single one. And even you do see one (outside Heathrow) they’re going to ask you do pick a day date etc as well before they’ll let you out the door.

On a side note there are two Batman (116710BLNR) and one hulk (116610LV) on adverts at the moment, all 2-6 years old and all going at or below retail.

On a side note there are two Batman (116710BLNR) and one hulk (116610LV) on adverts at the moment, all 2-6 years old and all going at or below retail.

The 3 are all above retail?

• Advertisement

We may be confusing Irish retail v UK

They are about 10 percent pricier here

Point is non are going for the 3-5k premium the investors would have you believe. Yeah its cool you can wear a watch for a couple of years and still get out what you have in or near enough, but the fact that they are readily available out there at reasonable prices doesn't gel with the massive waiting lists and limited numbers the AD's tell you about, nor the massive investment potential purported. Something is fishy IMHO.

Point is non are going for the 3-5k premium the investors would have you believe. Yeah its cool you can wear a watch for a couple of years and still get out what you have in or near enough, but the fact that they are readily available out there at reasonable prices doesn't gel with the massive waiting lists and limited numbers the AD's tell you about, nor the massive investment potential purported. Something is fishy IMHO.

The notion of "investing" needs to be eradicated from watch forums. Imagine a fund where a minority of investors were delighted with a percentage return of their initial sum after a few years.

The BLNR is an interesting one. It was amongst the most popular models (still is) until a few months ago, with matching resale values. And then, around six months ago, the price started softening.

Now at the same time stories of BLNR availability started becoming more frequent. There seemed to be a number of posters on TRF just magically finding them in ADs. This is all anecdotal, but it does look that Rolex just started increasing the flow. And you have to imagine that these watches were all manufactured within a certain window and that Rolex are clearing inventory for storage and to manipulate the market for the BLRO. It really is just mania.

There's another thread on TRF in the last few days relating to the Milgauss GV. That they were going for over twice the RRP when released. There was the expectation that it'd be a limited edition and "investors" piled in. Now they keep lonely Airkings company in AD windows.

You'd get at least 70% of your money back on a explorer 1 if you ever wanted to sell it I'd imagine? Better to enjoy a nice watch then having the money sitting on a bank?

But I wouldn't be buying with the intention of making money or "investing" I'd want to wear it and enjoy it not have it sitting in a safe.

5 year old blnr on watchfinder is 10.5k euro.

New 1-2 years old 11.1k-11.4k euro

Keep on jumping. Still tempted by the blnr on adverts just to sit on it for 12 months and see where it goes but not worth the hassle.

Edit 5167....24k Euro on wf now.

Can’t read prices. Is that hulk 9.4k?

893bet wrote: »
    Can’t read prices. Is that hulk 9.4k?

yep £9.450 sterling and im betting its used :P

Yeah two tones are not hard to get.nice watch mind you.

Vostok or as he’s also known the guvnor is back

https://www.adverts.ie/16117795

As for the wait list he’s talking ****e because I was in Westfield shopping centre London last week and they have one in the window and when I enquirer the woman said they had five in stock

Reason for selling: profit

Did I just read that?

• Advertisement

If you search the McManus watch threads you will find out that there is more than a little something wrong with that guy, I wouldnt touch the watch with my bare hands yet alone buy it.

Advertisement