Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your daily forecasts from Boards.ie weather forum (NO CHAT)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Steve wrote: »
    The thanks feature isn't enabled until you've made 10 posts - 2 more to go. :)
    Ah ffs.

I give up. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

UPDATE _ Tuesday, 1700h

The main thing to focus on at this point is the rapid onset of the cold spell and the sudden nature (not the sodden nature) of the frontal passage on Thursday. This is likely to set off some very squally mixed showers turning rapidly from rain to hail then sleet and snow as it moves south at a very fast pace. I will make an effort to time that for readers on Wednesday afternoon or evening, but at present, it looks like this front will hit Ulster between 0600 north to 0900 south, then should move through Connacht and north Leinster between 0900 and noon, and be clearing the south coast around 1500h.

If you have travel plans that place you and this front in the same place at the same time, expect some slow going or perhaps the need for a well-timed meal break while it blows through. The further north you are, the more likely it will be that instead of just blowing through and clearing afterwards, the front will be followed fairly quickly by further snow (except along the immediate west coast, everything behind this front should be snow or hail).

There are some good snowfall estimate maps on the discussion thread now, showing potential for 10-20 cms in some parts of the northwest into Ulster, from Thursday to Friday. This would be in advance of any more widespread snow that could develop with low pressure systems circling around on the weekend into Monday. I don't want to be too specific yet on that period as the details will be all-important, but could say that the current maps show potential for several inches of snow in many areas over that later time period.

I've noticed an expected tendency for the longer-term maps now available to begin a delaying process for any potential warming trends mid-week. I guess it's almost inevitable that one or two days between the weekend and New Years will be milder than most, although there is some chance of a complete "locking in" of a cold northeast flow pattern too.

The thing everyone should keep in mind here, I would conclude, is that even today's relatively reliable weather models are being challenged here by the very large-scale changes underway, bringing the polar vortex which usually stays up around Svalbard or Greenland, right down across Britain and Ireland by Friday night. Analogues for this are scarce, so the models are working off a very limited data base in terms of modelling how the atmosphere will respond with this frigid air spilling out over the 10-12 deg North Atlantic where storms will then develop along a boundary. Just slight changes in the track or intensity of those features still 4-6 days away, would mean large differences in snowfall forecasts for any part of Ireland or the U.K. ... but in the more general sense, I think we can say that snow is likely on a fairly widespread basis given this pattern development. The fact that my research energy peak for 20-21 December is right in that time frame has me concerned that a major snowfall event is very possible, and of course it could begin as soon as the event starts to take shape rather than waiting until those dates.

Wednesday, 15 December, 2010

Advance ALERT ... Rapid freeze likely on Thursday morning in north, by afternoon in south; rain showers will turn to sleet, hail and then snow in many places with a sharp drop in temperatures. Roads and pavements will become icy and in some northern counties, also snow-covered, in a matter of an hour or less, leading to dangerous travel conditions. See forecasts for more details on that. Also, 5-15 cms of snow possible in west and north on Thursday and Friday. Further significant snowfalls more widely over the weekend. Details in forecasts.

TODAY ... The calm before the storm, with partly to mostly cloudy skies, slowly strengthening WNW winds at 15-25 mph, and eventually, a few light showers mainly northwest of the Midlands. Rather mild again, with highs in the range of 7-10 C (mildest in coastal Connacht and west Munster).

TONIGHT ... For all but the far north, a mild and cloudy night with periods of rain, not likely to be very heavy (2-4 mms), moderate westerly winds at 20-30 mph, and lows of about 3-5 C. In the far north, these conditions will suddenly change to cold, windy and squally as rain changes to hail and snow. This change will be felt throughout Ulster by about sunrise.

THURSDAY ... The main feature of the day's weather will be a sudden change to much colder, wintry weather. The timing of that change will vary from morning in the mid-north, to late afternoon in the south coastal counties. Before the change, it will continue mild, breezy and showery with temperatures steady 5-8 C. The changeover will involve squally showers, some thunder, turning quickly to hail, sleet and then snow, with roads becoming very icy. Temperatures will fall to -3 C in the north and -1 C in the south. Winds will increase to NW 30-50 mph (gusts to 60 near west, north coasts). Snow may break out over large parts of Connacht and Ulster, spreading at times to West Munster, inland Leinster, with flurries further south and east. The heavier snow could accumulate to 5-10 cms by Thursday night.

THURSDAY NIGHT ... Very cold and windy with temperatures falling to a range of -6 to -3 C inland and east, and near zero C west coast, -2 C south coast. Widespread snow and icy roads, 3-7 cms of snow in all but a few coastal districts where sleety hail or rain showers may mix in. Winds continuing strong, NW 30-50 mph with some higher gusts. Some thunder-snow especially around Mayo, Donegal, Galway, Clare nearby parts of other counties.

FRIDAY ... Windy and very cold, with passing flurries or heavier snow squalls, mixing near west coast at times with hail and sleet. Winds WNW 30-50 mph except NNW 30-50 mph in eastern Ulster. Highs only -2 to +2 C (except possibly 4-5 C in coastal Kerry). Some further snow accumulations mainly north and west to 10 cms, but some snow possible further east and south. Risk of thunder-snow, icy roads widespread, also intervals of blinding sun between showers combining with bright surfaces at this low-sun time of year can be a real hazard.

SATURDAY ... The early morning may be bitterly cold due to some clearing and much lighter winds, but coastal Ulster may see heavy snow, and west coast may see mixed wintry showers. Lows inland, east and south in the range of -4 to -10 C. Around the coasts especially west and north, lows about -2 C. ... During the day, outbreaks of heavy snow, mixing near sea level with sleet, inland accumulations of 5-10 cms likely, winds generally from a westerly direction across the south and from the north or east elsewhere. Highs -3 to +1 C for most.

SUNDAY ... Risk of some moderate or heavy snow with greater accumulations inland from south coast, on higher ground especially, and through the inland southeast, on the east coast and in parts of Ulster (10-15 cms potential in these zones) ... more showery in Connacht, snow amounts 2-5 cms. Very cold with lows near -5 C or lower in some areas, although -2 C south coast, and highs in range -2 to +1 C.

MONDAY ... Further snow likely, 5-15 cms in some areas, may mix with sleet near coasts. Winds becoming rather strong northeast, heavy streamers for Dublin and Wicklow may develop. Very cold with lows near -5 C and highs near -1 C.

TUESDAY ... Snow may end gradually with some wintry sunshine especially in north. Lows -6 C on average, could reach -12 C in parts of Ulster ... highs around -3 C inland to +2 C coasts.

WEDNESDAY ... Wintry sunshine at times, very cold. The morning lows here may be the coldest of this spell (-15 to -10 C potential inland). Highs may not reach freezing in many areas.

OUTLOOK ... Some chance of another wintry storm by Thursday 23rd into Friday 24th (Christmas Eve). A lower chance that this may turn to a milder rain event. Continuing to assess this, models seem challenged at this range. Would count on further cold and snow in the weeks to follow.

Meanwhile, over here, the day on Tuesday was showery and a bit cooler, with sleet mixing in at times, temps 5-6 C. There was a massive lake effect snowstorm west of London, Ontario from Lake Huron that dumped incredible amounts (100-150 cms) in narrow bands. This is slowly dying out now. But those snowfalls are quite limited and many areas have had cold, dry weather in the east today.

Updates will be posted here rather than in discussion threads first. So if you're looking for updates, they will appear here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Silly uestion here MT but Shen you mention daily accumulations are the adding up or are they accumulations for those particular day which you think may fall and rest on top of an earlier accumulation???
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭squonk

Don't want to drag the thread OT but in fairness, I'm sure if each of us wrote down our fantasy winter spell it'd probably not be far off MT's forecast this morning! I'm starting to get really excited about this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hi All

Can we direct any questions / comments to the regional / national forecasting thread.

MT is doing a great job here but this thread is for his forecasts only.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

There isnt a regional thread for all of us, I'm in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

cabot wrote: »
    There isnt a regional thread for all of us, I'm in the UK.

But it's a weather forecast for ireland :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

Some of the forecasts have mentioned the UK too, plus we ARE going to get snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Hi All

Can we direct any questions / comments to the regional / national forecasting thread.

MT is doing a great job here but this thread is for his forecasts only.

Cheers

All

Not wanting to sound moany here but can we please just stop any discussion in this thread from this point on.

Lets leave this for MT to post his forecasts and updates and discuss any other issues in the other threads that WC opened.

If you want to discuss any of MTs posts I suggest you quote them in the relevant thread and go from there.

It is going to get very busy here from tonight on so lets keep everything in its right place !

Cheers

• Advertisement

May update around 9 to 10 p.m. but forecasts seem to be generally on track.

Re the UK forecasts, if by that you happen to mean any part of Northern Ireland, my approach is to include the six counties within the forecasts as a general rule. Otherwise, would refer interested parties to such sources as

http://metoffice.gov.uk

http://net-weather.co.uk

and a smaller UK forum where I issue some of the daily forecasts and alerts,
    Weatherchat Plus

http://s2.excoboard.com/Weatherchatplus

As I think is widely known in the Irish weather community, while M.T. Cranium is a very apt name for one with this much space between the ears, I have such meat world names as Peter O'Donnell (my birth name) and Roger (J) Smith (my assumed name) and in Canada I am sometimes known as Amazing Negative Stereotype Man, the first citizen to acquire every possible negative stereotype and therefore win an award as First to Walk to the North Pole.

If you happen to go for a look-see at Weatherchat Plus, that's a fairly small membership forum but we do have about four members from Ireland there, and the bulk of the membership is Midlands-based as the forum was started by folks from that part of England (where coincidentally I was born before being tossed on a boat to Canada as a mere infant).

As boards members have been extraordinarily kind to this citizen of no particular country, I tend to identify more and more as a cyber-resident of Ireland even if physically far removed, and indeed when I read accounts of being a "Canadian" I think that notion has been disproved on almost a daily basis over half a century, a fact now pretty much confined to my passport. Quite true the saying that no prophet is without honour except in his own country. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I tend to identify more and more as a cyber-resident of Ireland even if physically far removed, and indeed when I read accounts of being a "Canadian" I think that notion has been disproved on almost a daily basis over half a century, a fact now pretty much confined to my passport. Quite true the saying that no prophet is without honour except in his own country. :cool:

Well if you didn't have an Irish passport, I reckon you'd get an honorary citizenship for services to meteorology!

As it stands, you have one, you're stuck being Irish whether you like it or not! :D

Forecast update ... Wed 15 Dec 2010 ... 8 p.m.

In general, the morning forecast remains valid, but I am updating more to emphasize that some of the potential events now appear more likely to verify near top of ranges suggested.

TONIGHT ... Cloudy and relatively mild with scattered outbreaks of light rain mostly after midnight, winds picking up gradually from a westerly direction to reach 20-30 mph, temperatures steady 2-4 C for most. Late tonight, turning very windy and much colder in north coast Ulster, with hail and snow showers spreading rapidly south to cover most of Ulster by sunrise, and some parts of north Connacht and north Leinster by 0800h. Snowfalls in this zone only 3-7 cms. Temperatures falling to -3 C inland, +1 C near coasts, in the north only.

THURSDAY ... Very windy and turning much colder from north to south. The milder air will remain in place for the morning in central counties and to mid-afternoon in the south. In all areas, a rapid change to much colder weather as winds shift from W 25-40 mph to NW 30-50 mph with higher gusts in Connacht. Earlier rain showers will change to hail, sleet and snow in a squally fashion with some thunder and lightning. Earlier snow in the north may intensify to heavy snow at times giving 10-15 cms locally there, while further south amounts will average 1-3 cms and a few spots may escape snow but nowhere is likely to escape icy roads by evening.

THURSDAY NIGHT, FRIDAY ... Continuing windy and very cold with frequent squally showers of hail and snow, considerable accumulations possible but mostly in Ulster and Connacht, west Munster, parts of north, west Leinster where amounts will average 5-10 cms and reach 15 cms locally. Highs for the day only -3 to -1 C in north (inland) and 2-4 C in southwest, 0-2 C in southeast and east. Some intervals of bright sun will also be hazardous because of glare off snow and ice at low sun angles. Roads becoming very treacherous in many counties but with highly variable conditions too, travel with care if you can't avoid travel.

WEEKEND ... Bitterly cold to start with some clearing late Friday night and lows generally -7 to -4 C but as low as -10 C in any northern valley locations under clear spots in the general overcast. Ice fog likely over central counties. Then snow likely to spread in or break out locally, heavier in the northeast at first, then becoming rather heavy in many areas, local accumulations of 5-15 cms both days, potential for near-blizzard or blizzard conditions with Dublin possibly near the higher snowfall zone that is likely to extend from about Meath to Laois and Tipps, but should emphasize that heavy snow could develop quite widely outside that zone too. Maximum snow accumulations could reach 20-30 cms. Some thunder-snow likely. Winds will increase at times to NE 20-40 mph blowing this snow around, in temperatures in the range of -2 to +1 C (could stay colder than that in parts of Ulster and inland Connacht).

MONDAY ... The above snowstorm to blizzard conditions may continue or may ease slowly, but in any case, there will be a lot of snow on the ground and temperatures near -1 C with potentially strong E to NE winds at times.

TUESDAY to THURSDAY ... Some snow could continue in the south, and flurries or freezing drizzle will keep roads icy in many areas, but this could be a somewhat drier period with breaks in the overcast and very cold temperatures at night as a result, lows may fall to -8 C or lower, highs will remain in the range of -2 to +2 C.

OUTLOOK ... I tend to discount any suggested warmings but there is a chance of milder weather around Christmas, however, I think there is an equal chance of a further period of snow with the mild air held back to the southwest.

For those with an interest in weather in the U.K. or northern France for their travel plans, it seems quite possible that the snow in Ireland will break out over large parts of the U.K. as well, and may extend at times into northern France. Parts of central England are likely to see the worst of the snow there, 20-40 cms potential. Eastern Scotland may see some snow, but central Scotland and northern England could see bitterly cold overnight lows during the period, as low as -20 C in some places, but generally -10 C or lower.

Further updates as required ...

UPDATE to yesterday's posted regional snowfall predictions:

issued 2145h Dec 15th, 2010 -- amounts in cms -- expected regional averages -- more may fall on higher ground in each region, less near shores and urban centres.

REGION .............. THURS .... FRI ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON

Ulster ..................... 08 ...... 07 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 03

Connacht ................ 05 ...... 10 ...... 05 ..... 05 ...... 02

West Munster, Clare .. 03 ..... 03 ...... 07 ..... 12 ...... 10

East Munster ............ 01 ..... 02 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 08

inland southeast ....... 02 ..... 03 ...... 12 ..... 18 ...... 10

Dublin/Wicklow/Meath. 01 ..... 02 ...... 15 ..... 15 ...... 10

rest of Leinster ........ 03 ..... 04 ...... 12 ..... 12 ...... 07

Notes
    _______

Snow Thursday-Friday mostly in passing squally snow showers that may merge into longer periods of snow in counties such as Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Donegal, Derry, Tyrone, Fermanagh, parts of Galway and Clare, and that may apply to adjacent parts of other counties at times

Snow Saturday-Monday mostly from organized areas of snow that may sweep in from east or northeast, heavy bands likely from about Meath southwest to Laois and Tipps, also in Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford, Waterford, Carlow, Kilkenny, Kildare, but this could spread further north and west in other bands crossing Ulster and moving southwest.

If you got heavy snow in the last round, you'll probably get heavy snow in this round, but, if you escaped snow in the last round, you may get at least some snow in this round, and parts of Mayo to Fermanagh could start off this round with heavy snow.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Those totals are in inches I hope ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

UPDATE to yesterday's posted regional snowfall predictions:

issued 2145h Dec 15th, 2010 -- amounts in cms -- expected regional averages -- more may fall on higher ground in each region, less near shores and urban centres.

Hope that makes it clear :D

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Thursday, 16 December, 2010

ALERT for snow and blowing snow in northern, northwestern and some western counties today, with some local accumulations of 10-15 cms. ALERT for icy roads developing from north to south after a frontal passage (see forecasts for timing). ADVANCE ALERT for further snow, icy roads, bitterly cold temperatures Friday to Monday and possibly beyond.

Brief situational update -- all guidance continues much as yesterday, with some range between models, requiring a blend and some intuition to come up with your forecast, but of more immediate interest, a small "polar low" may be forming upstream south of Iceland heading for Connacht and Donegal later, and this may necessitate a slight upgrade of snow potential -- will be tracking this closely. Meanwhile, the arctic front is about to sweep through Ulster, and I'm expecting it to reach Dublin to Galway by 1230 to 1300h, then about Shannon to Waterford about 1500h, finally Cork about 1630h. Winds will veer to NW before this front arrives, as there is a pre-frontal trough. But temperatures only drop after the main front goes past, and based on reports from northern Scotland, they drop very quickly to below freezing. Thus the urgency of the alert for icy roads and sudden reductions in visibility due to heavy snow.

TODAY ... Very windy and turning much colder from north to south. The milder air will remain in place for the morning in central counties and to mid-afternoon in the south. In all areas, a rapid change to much colder weather as winds shift from W 25-45 mph to NW 35-55 mph with higher gusts possible especially in Connacht. Morning rain showers will change to hail, sleet and snow in a squally fashion with some thunder and lightning. In the north morning sleet or hail may intensify to heavy snow at times giving 10-15 cms locally there, while further south amounts will average 1-3 cms and a few spots may escape snow but nowhere is likely to escape icy roads by evening. A few sunny breaks may develop behind the front in the south and east but passing flurries may suddenly reduce visibility even there. Finally, an interval of heavier snow may develop in the northwest towards evening.

Morning to mid-day highs of 8-10 C will contrast sharply with later temperatures falling below zero to about -3 C. At this stage, wind chills may reach -10 C.

TONIGHT ... Windy and very cold with snow at times, heavier in north and west, further accumulations of 10-15 cms possible there, 2-5 cms south and east. Winds NW 30-50 mph, lows reaching -4 to -6 C except -2 to zero in west coastal locations. Wind chills -10 to -15 C. Very icy roads.

FRIDAY ... Continuing windy and very cold with frequent squally showers of hail and snow, considerable accumulations possible but mostly in Ulster and Connacht, west Munster, parts of north, west Leinster where amounts will average 5-10 cms and reach 15 cms locally. Showers may mix with sleet near the outer Kerry coast. Highs for the day only -3 to -1 C in north (inland) and 2-4 C in southwest, 0-2 C in southeast and east. Some intervals of bright sun will also be hazardous because of glare off snow and ice at low sun angles. Winds WNW 20-40 mph with some higher gusts. Roads becoming very treacherous in many counties but with highly variable conditions too, travel with care if you can't avoid travel.

WEEKEND ... Bitterly cold to start with some clearing in the north late Friday night and lows generally -7 to -4 C but as low as -10 C in any northern valley locations under clear spots in the general overcast. Ice fog likely over central counties. Periods of snow may continue Friday night in some southern and eastern counties. Then on Saturday, snow likely to spread in or break out locally, heavier in the northeast at first, then becoming rather heavy in many areas, local accumulations of 5-15 cms both days, potential for near-blizzard or blizzard conditions with Dublin possibly near the higher snowfall zone that is likely to extend from about Meath to Laois and Tipps, but should emphasize that heavy snow could develop quite widely outside that zone too. Saturday night could clear in some northern and central counties with frigid temperatures possible (lows -12 C or lower in cold spots).

Sunday may also produce periods of snow in a northeast wind flow, and eventually, maximum snow accumulations could reach 20-30 cms. Some thunder-snow likely. Winds will increase at times to NE 15-25 mph blowing this snow around, in temperatures in the range of -2 to +1 C (could stay colder than that in parts of Ulster and inland Connacht).

MONDAY ... The above snowstorm to blizzard conditions may continue or may ease slowly, but in any case, there will be a lot of snow on the ground and temperatures near -1 C with potentially strong E to NE winds at times.

TUESDAY to THURSDAY ... Some snow could continue in the south, and flurries or freezing drizzle will keep roads icy in many areas, but this could be a somewhat drier period with breaks in the overcast and very cold temperatures at night as a result, lows may fall to -8 C or lower, highs will remain in the range of -2 to +2 C. It could become just slightly milder by Thursday, 2-4 C.

OUTLOOK ... I tend to discount any major suggested warmings but there is a chance of milder weather around Christmas, however, I think there is an equal chance of a further period of snow with the mild air held back to the southwest.

For those with an interest in weather in the U.K. or northern France for their travel plans, it seems quite possible that the snow in Ireland will break out over large parts of the U.K. as well, and may extend at times into northern France. Parts of central England are likely to see the worst of the snow there, 20-40 cms potential. Eastern Scotland may see some snow, but central Scotland and northern England could see bitterly cold overnight lows during the period, as low as -20 C in some places, but generally -10 C or lower.

Weather here today was cloudy with light rain and a high near 6 C (Wed 15th).

I may update the snowfall table later, but will maintain it for now.

UPDATE _ Thursday, 16 December, 2010 _ 1845h

The models are (as anticipated) showing greater potential for snowfall through the weekend now. This forecast update is followed by a revised table of snowfall predictions but generally this forecast is a continuation of the earlier one.

TONIGHT ... Rather windy and very cold with frequent snow showers in Connacht, Ulster and some parts of West Munster, accumulations of 5-15 cms possible, with Mayo to Fermanagh favoured for the heavier amounts. A few flurries could show up further south and east. Any remnant showers in the southwest should turn to hail or snow soon. Winds generally NW 20-40 mph with some higher gusts in exposed areas, falling off inland to 10-20 mph. Overnight lows near -3 C in the heavier snowfall areas, -6 C further inland where partly cloudy, but -3 C south coast and central Dublin. Feeling closer to -10 C in the wind. Very icy on some roads, and reduced visibility due to snow or ice fog in some places.

FRIDAY ... Continued windy and very cold with heavy snow showers in parts of Connacht, Ulster, West Munster, inland north Leinster, and flurries elsewhere, amounts 5-10 cms heavier once again from about Mayo to Antrim.

Further east and south, some sunny intervals with passing flurries or hail showers. Winds in general WNW 20-35 mph, backing to SW late afternoon, mixed showers likely in Kerry and Cork at this point, with outbreaks of heavy snow further north spreading across the country during the evening. Widespread icy road conditions.

Highest temperatures -3 to +1 C, except 2-4 in Kerry and Cork.

FRIDAY NIGHT ... Snow becoming rather heavy at times and spreading into the eastern counties while becoming more intermittent in the west, amounts of about 5-10 cms likely with heavier amounts this time in eastern counties and also across much of Ulster. Winds turning more northerly after midnight, with lows of about -3 C east to -7 C central and -4 C west. Widespread icy road conditions.

SATURDAY ... Periods of snow may become intermittent, with 5-8 cms further, very cold with light to moderate northeast to northwest winds, some sunny intervals could develop in the north and west, but highs only -3 to near zero C.

SATURDAY NIGHT & SUNDAY ... Renewed periods of snow becoming heavy across most of the country, with winds NE 15-25 mph in northern counties, somewhat variable and lighter across the south. Snow could mix with sleet near east or south coasts. Amounts likely to be 10-20 cms but could reach 30 cms in some inland southeast counties. Morning lows of about -4 to -7 C with daytime highs -3 to -1 C for most.

MONDAY ... There could be an extension of the snowfall period although becoming lighter, well into Monday with a gradual tapering off to drizzly light snow grains or freezing drizzle. Then it seems likely to clear late Monday with bitterly cold temperatures over the fresh snow. Temperatures on Monday similar to Sunday, -5 to -1 C.

TUESDAY ... With any clearing, Tuesday morning lows could be downright frigid inland, -12 C or even lower in parts of the inland southeast and Midlands, Ulster. Elsewhere, closer to -7 C ... afternoon highs in the range of about -5 to zero C, with some sunshine and some lingering ice fog or low cloud.

OUTLOOK ... Possible sleet or freezing rain is entering the mix for the period Wednesday 22nd to Friday Christmas Eve, as well as some chance of further snow, and there could be a thaw with some rain in the far south. This will all depend on the track of an Atlantic storm that seems likely to try to push the cold air back north to some extent. With that could come strong SE winds. Watch for updates on this period.

Now, here's the updated snowfall chart, snowfall in cms.
    Tonight refers to the period now to 0800h Friday, which may be one reason why Friday (0800-2400h) amounts appear reduced.

REGION ............ TONIGHT .... FRI ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON

Ulster ..................... 05 ...... 05 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 03

Connacht ................ 05 ...... 08 ...... 07 ..... 08 ...... 02

West Munster, Clare .. 03 ..... 03 ...... 05 ..... 12 ...... 07

East Munster ............ 01 ..... 04 ...... 10 ..... 12 ...... 08

inland southeast ....... 01 ..... 04 ...... 12 ..... 18 ...... 10

Dublin/Wicklow/Meath. 01 ..... 03 ...... 12 ..... 20 ...... 10

rest of Leinster ........ 03 ..... 04 ...... 12 ..... 15 ...... 07

The weekend snowfalls may appear blizzard-like in some cases, whether they are technically a blizzard or not may depend on wind speeds which may not be excessive. Snowfalls on some higher terrain may be even higher than estimated here. But coastal parts of the east and south could see some mixing so that while it may snow the same amount, not all of the snow will cover the ground to same depths.

next possible update time would be 2200h depending on changes in guidance by then. -- MTC

Have looked at the available new guidance, mainly the 18z GFS, and while there are suggestions of a stronger storm system for late Saturday into Sunday, that could also bring in mixed types of precipitation for the southeast coast, I am not currently going to amend the forecast because I believe there is too much uncertainty about the details presented, and continue to think the actual evolution of this storm will be a bit further south and therefore with less tendency to mix precipitation over Ireland (this will be an issue across southern England perhaps).

As a result, no amendment to the current forecast is the call, and I await the verdict of the 00z models where I can compare any changes that four or five reliable players are picking up ... the situation is no doubt fluid and readers are cautioned that these are forecasts, not timetables (of course, timetables are forecasts too, perhaps I should say tide tables which tend to be virtually 100% reliable unless very strong winds interact with the ocean tides).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

The BBC weather hinted at the Saturday storm bringing 25cm of snow to the UK I think, (sorry I was hypnotised by snow outside at the time:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

Friday, 17 December, 2010 _ 0650h

ALERT continued for widespread heavy snowfalls spreading gradually from west and north to cover also east and south later today, then further outbreaks more concentrated on east and south over the weekend. Some risk of disruption and blizzard conditions at times. Very icy roads and anticipated travel delays or cancellations. Severe cold also, especially central counties overnight hours.

Situation update -- The very cold northerly flow is backing to NW'ly through the day, but will be reinforced by a fast-moving trough late today and winds will return to a more northerly direction. This trough will become the focus for snowfall to spread east beyond the current mainly sea-effect driven bands in the west and north. Particularly heavy snow bands are likely this morning around Mayo and eastern Ulster towards Isle of Man. Tonight the trough will promote bursts of heavy snow in the southeast. Saturday, another low likely to form off the west or southwest coast and move around the south coast towards Cornwall. This would set off periods of snow across the south. Following that, a stronger low likely Saturday night, moving past the south overnight and towards south Wales or southwest England Sunday, crossing southern England. This could set off very heavy snow in Ireland with strong northeast winds. Some further snow Monday, then gradual clearing, staying cold.

FORECASTS ...

TODAY ... Continued windy and very cold with heavy snow showers in parts of Connacht, Ulster, West Munster, inland north Leinster, and flurries elsewhere during the morning to early afternoon, amounts 8-15 cms heavier once again from about Mayo to Antrim. Accumulating snow in east and southeast only likely afternoon and evening, 2-4 cms by then.

Further east and south, morning will bring some sunny intervals with passing flurries or hail showers. Winds in general NW 25-50 mph becoming WNW 25-45 mph, backing in south only to WSW 20-30 mph late afternoon, mixed showers likely in Kerry and Cork at this point, with outbreaks of heavy snow further north across Clare and Galway spreading across the country during the afternoon and evening. Widespread icy road conditions.

Highest temperatures -3 to +1 C, except 2-4 in Kerry and Cork.

FRIDAY NIGHT ... Snow becoming rather heavy at times and spreading into the eastern counties while becoming more intermittent in the west, amounts of about 5-10 cms likely with heavier amounts this time in eastern counties and also across much of Ulster. Winds turning more northerly after midnight, with lows of about -3 C east to -7 C central and -4 C west. Widespread icy road conditions.

SATURDAY ... Periods of snow may become intermittent, with 5-8 cms further, very cold with light to moderate northeast to northwest winds, some sunny intervals could develop in the north and west, but highs only -3 to near zero C.

SATURDAY NIGHT & SUNDAY ... Renewed periods of snow becoming heavy across most of the country, with winds NE 25-45 mph in northern and central counties, somewhat variable and lighter across the south (although strong winds could strike there at times). Snow could mix with sleet near east or south coasts, but this may be quite limited. Snow amounts likely to be 10-20 cms but could reach 30 cms in some inland southeast counties and blizzard conditions are possible. Morning lows of about -4 to -7 C with daytime highs -3 to -1 C for most.

MONDAY ... There could be an extension of the snowfall period although becoming lighter, well into Monday with a gradual tapering off to drizzly light snow grains or freezing drizzle. Then it seems likely to clear late Monday with bitterly cold temperatures over the fresh snow. Temperatures on Monday similar to Sunday, -5 to -1 C.

TUESDAY ... With any clearing, Tuesday morning lows could be downright frigid inland, -12 C or even lower in parts of the inland southeast and Midlands, Ulster. Elsewhere, closer to -7 C ... afternoon highs in the range of about -5 to zero C, with some sunshine and some lingering ice fog or low cloud.

OUTLOOK ... Possible sleet or freezing rain that was entering the mix for the period Wednesday 22nd to Friday Christmas Eve, is now once again looking more like the chance of further snow, and there is now only a very slight chance for any significant thaw with some rain in the far south. This will all depend on the track of an Atlantic storm that seems likely to try to push the cold air back north to some extent, but is now being challenged by a wave swirling southeast from Iceland trying to phase in with that low. The most likely solution would involve light snow and freezing drizzle around Thursday night and continued cold into Christmas. Another storm looms for late Christmas into the 26th. At this point, we have to guess this one too may start to acquire a colder profile as we get closer to the time. But as of today, some models show this as a thaw with rain. We'll see how that works out.

Now, here's the updated snowfall chart, snowfall in cms.
    Tonight refers to the period now to 0800h Friday, which may be one reason why Friday (0800-2400h) amounts appear reduced.

REGION ............ FRI ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON ..... TUES

Ulster .................08 ...... 10 ..... 10 ...... 03 ..... 01

Connacht ........... 08 ...... 07 ..... 08 ...... 02 ..... 01

West Munster, Clare. 05 ..... 05 ..... 12 ...... 07 ..... 01

East Munster ......... 05 ...... 10 ..... 12 ...... 08 ..... 01

inland southeast ..... 06 ...... 10 ..... 25 ...... 10 ..... 02

Dublin/Wicklow/Meath. 04 ...... 10 ..... 20 ...... 10 ..... 02

rest of Leinster ......... 04 ...... 12 ..... 18 ...... 07 ..... 01

The weekend snowfalls may become blizzard-like in some cases, whether they are technically a blizzard or not may depend on wind speeds. But coastal parts of the east and south could see some mixing so that while it may snow the same amount, not all of the snow will cover the ground to same depths near the coast especially southeast Wexford and outer parts of Cork coast.

The situation is quite fluid and range of possible outcomes is something like half the above to 50% more than above. Local snowfalls Sunday could reach 40-50 cms on higher parts of Wicklow and Dublin mountains.

Updates as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I am sorry MT but i hope you are right.

No model is showing this however, infact no model is showing anything near this.

No model is showing this however, infact no model is showing anything near this.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69605014&postcount=196

Update -- Friday 17 December 2010 -- 1920h

Forecast has been revised somewhat to reflect a longer and possibly less intense period of unsettled, at times snowy, conditions across the south from later tonight on to about Tuesday night or Wednesday morning now. There is still potential for any of these snowy intervals to turn heavy as the guidance is having much difficulty resolving waves that are likely to develop to the southwest and move past the south on almost a routine daily schedule for several days starting with Sunday. From tonight through tomorrow, the main snowfall potential comes from the remnants of what has been a powerful snow-maker over Ulster, but they have sea-effect added to the overall potential of this weak low that is a surface reflection of the polar vortex now moving southwest towards Ireland from Scotland. Although weak in terms of wind and pressure field, we have to be mindful that any disturbance interacting with relatively warm seas in this super-cold air mass has considerable snowfall potential, as the northwest illustrates today. Without further verbiage, then, here's an updated forecast and snowfall table (I think Pangea has one in his garden).

TONIGHT and SATURDAY ... Cloudy with outbreaks of snow, heavy at times in north and west, becoming moderate and possibly heavy for a brief time also in the east and south. The snow may mix with rain briefly near the south coast this evening. Further amounts of 10-20 cms in the north and northwest, 5-10 cms west and southwest, 3-7 cms east and southeast. Overnight lows about -2 to -5 C on average, some ice fog forming around central to inland northern counties anywhere that clears. Winds generally rather light except NW 20-40 mph west coast.

During the day Saturday, most of this snow will break up gradually but there could be continued heavy sea effect streamers in parts of Ulster and inland Connacht that may make some inroads further south. There will be a slight risk of localized streamers in the Irish Sea as winds become light northeast possibly later southeast at 10-15 mph. Sunshine may develop well inland and it will be quite cold at about -2 C to +1 C south coast.

By SATURDAY NIGHT, outbreaks of light snow possible across the south in a light to moderate ESE wind flow. This may combine with some streamer activity in the Irish Sea but large parts of central and northern Ireland will be partly cloudy to clear except for some lingering remnant coastal snow showers. Very cold in this clear zone with lows falling to about -10 C in some areas. Lows of about -2 C in the south with the cloud and snow.

SUNDAY, the snow will extend into the inland southeast and may at times reach Dublin and Wicklow, with winds continuing mainly easterly and highs of about -2 C. Snowfall potential with this disturbance about 5-12 cms with the larger amounts likely to be around Carlow and Kilkenny. The north may be dry with some sunshine breaking through higher cloud, but there would be a slight risk of snow showers there too.

MONDAY-TUESDAY, further outbreaks of snow in the south, always with the risk of some sleet or freezing rain nearer to the coast. Amounts of 5-10 cms each day in some areas. Highs of only -2 to 0 C and further north, where skies less cloudy, overnight lows for these days near -10 C inland and possibly as low as -15 C in a few places. Ice fog likely with rather slack east winds or calm.

WEDNESDAY-THURSDAY should be a somewhat less unsettled period with very cold nights, chilly days, and a few flurries in the mix, but there is some chance that even Wednesday could see some snow in the southeast from the last slowly departing wave.

OUTLOOK FOR CHRISTMAS EVE, CHRISTMAS DAY and ST STEPHEN'S DAY is highly uncertain given the spread on the models, but I would place my bet on a continued cold pattern with the risk of snow at times, however there is some chance of milder conditions developing with rain (this would be more like a one in three chance the way things are unfolding).

Here's the updated snowfall table ... I've reduced some of the heavier amounts but should point out that they could come back into play if we get stronger indications of a deeper low pressure system on Sunday, something that now seems a bit less likely but is not off the table altogether.

Predicted regional average snowfalls, cms

REGION ............ TNT ..... SAT ..... SUN ..... MON ..... TUES/WED

Ulster .....................10 ...... 03 ..... 03 ....... 01 ...... 01

Connacht .............. 08 ...... 03 ...... 04 ....... 01 ...... 01

West Munster, Clare... 03 ..... 04 ..... 10 ....... 07 ...... 04

East Munster ........... 03 ...... 04 ..... 10 ....... 05 ...... 03

inland southeast ...... 03 ...... 02 ..... 15 ....... 10 ...... 07

Dublin/Wicklow/Meath. 05 ...... 02 ..... 10 ...... 05 ..... 02

rest of Leinster .......... 05 ...... 01 ..... 08 ...... 04 ..... 02

Remember, accumulated snow will be less than the totals, because this is low-density snow that compacts easily and further snowfalls settle on and then push down the original base even if there's no melting. Some melting would occur near south coast that might make some of this snow come and go during the day so there would be less on the ground at any point than the rate of snowfall suggests. On the other hand, some areas in the north and northwest have already gotten more than our predicted amounts for yesterday and today, so these estimates can work both ways. Hope they work out for you. Travel with extreme caution if you're heading into snowfall zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Pangea wrote: »
    Yeah Donegal defintely didnt bear the brunt of it as forecasted, must of shifted east or something , I dont understand it.
    Update -- Friday 17 December 2010 -- 1920h

Just to clarify
    In the above quote I wasnt talking about MT ,I was talking about Met eireann , because Evelyn Cusack said on wednesday night that there would be heavy snow in Donegal for thurday/friday with drifting , and then yesturday MT said that Mayo to Antrim would get the heaviest falls for last night and up to today and that turned out to be dead accurate.
    Also at the time of my post there wasnt much snow in Donegal, but by this evening its heavy in many parts. But overall I think Mayo and Northern Ireland has more snow so MT was right. Keep up the excellent work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

In fairness to you WC, you were right on with your forecast from this morning.

All due respect to MT, however Dublin & Leinster had a very disappointing night with just a "sugar coating" of snow. I also see the near 50cms of snow forecast for Dublin has been severely downgraded.

A truly disappointing night in Dublin for any snow lovers. Something that promised so much did not deliver. Simple as. :mad:

Saturday, 18 December, 2010

ALERT for heavy snow in eastern Ulster spreading southwest to north Leinster this morning. Local amounts of 5-15 cms possible. This may either miss Dublin to the north or skim past giving trace to 3 cms in Dublin. Another area of possible heavy snow would be west Munster, and isolated falls in Connacht. These are more showery hit or miss situations with 3-5 cms possible. Also, ALERT for widespread icy roads and some very difficult travel in Connacht and Ulster, consult the forum road threads and other resources for updates on travel.

Situation update: The heavy snowfalls in the north, northwest and parts of the southwest are becoming more localized as the strong sea-effect is being replaced by meso-scale troughs. The south central, southeast and eastern counties that escaped most of the snow may remain dry today in most cases, but could see outbreaks starting late tonight or Sunday, as low pressure currently moving past the west coast circles around to the south. Models are giving widely different tracks and intensity, so my forecasts will have to be on a consensus, but I think that there is potential for some heavy outbreaks later today around Cork and Kerry, and then spreading slowly further east across the south into the southeast on Sunday, with reinforcements on Monday and possibly yet again on Tuesday. The snow mentioned in the alert for eastern Ulster is likely to break up later today rather than moving across north-central Ireland but it is heading for counties such as Longford and Westmeath before totally disappearing.

In the longer term, most of the guidance points to a dry trend for the central and northern counties spreading more to the south after this series of waves moves past, then for another frontal system to try to move milder air into Ireland on Christmas Day. Chances appear about one in three for success on that venture, and more than one in three for a snowy episode as a result, while another outcome (less than one in three) would be for the cold to remain dry and hold the front back entirely. We're entering a pattern now where any half-formed low near south coast of Ireland could gain energy and turn into a sizeable snowfall event or even a snowstorm. And this applies to a considerable time well into the future as North America's storm track looks to be ejecting lows every 3-4 days into the latitudes south of Ireland, all of these heading generally towards France. Either one would eventually swerve a bit north bringing milder air and rain, or one could explode into a powerful storm that would be a blizzard-like snowstorm. In this pattern, it is really difficult to say which of several storms might do one of those two things, but it seems likely that in general, it will stay cold with this frontal boundary often just to the south. Sorry about the uncertainty, but such is the nature of this atmospheric "science." Even on the 48-hour time scale, systems are appearing and disappearing from models, such as the projected major storm for southern England on Sunday -- now more or less downgraded to a weak event. I'm keeping my eye on Monday when there's an energy peak that could work with the low then located south of Cork.

FORECASTS:

TODAY ... For most regions, partly sunny and very cold, some drifting ice fog in valleys, icy roads, and light east winds (light southerly in west Munster). Highs for these regions about -2 C. However, some areas of snow are likely too. One will extend from parts of Down and Louth towards Meath, Westmeath, Cavan, Monaghan and Longford, but could also brush Dublin and Kildare. Heavier amounts are likely in Ulster this morning (5-10 cms) with lighter amounts as this cluster breaks up moving southwest at mid-day. There may be a chance of streamers for Dublin and Wicklow later today too, with local 3-7 cms amounts possible. Another area of localized snow could develop from Cork (city) west to Kerry, with 3-7 cms locally in this as well as some sleety showers close to the coast. There will also be scattered remnant sea-effect snow showers drifting around in parts of Connacht and West Ulster. Amounts there would be confined to small areas, 2-4 cms.

TONIGHT ... Clear and very cold in some central and northern counties, with just isolated flurries mostly near the coasts. Lows -7 to -12 C. Some ice fog developing. Cloudy in the south and southwest, parts of the west near the coast, with outbreaks of snow likely, 3-7 cms for some areas, affecting west Munster and possibly spreading to East Munster. Also a slight risk of snow showers near the east coast localized but heavy in a few spots. Lows in these regions about -4 C.

SUNDAY ... Outbreaks of snow likely across the south, possibly heavy in parts of Munster, later spreading to inland southeast, 5-10 cms with higher potentials. This may be somewhat patchy and intermittent with fog and coastal drizzle added, as winds come in from the SE at 15-25 mph. Further north, cloudy with some sunny breaks more frequent in the north, cold, highs generally -1 to +2 C south, to -3/-1 C further north. Light winds in many areas of the north, but some risk of coastal flurries.

MONDAY ... Once again, snow possible across the south and southeast, heavier in the inland southeast, 5-10 cms possible, winds E 15-25 mph. The temperature regime on Monday will probably repeat Sunday's for most regions, and it should remain dry in the northern two thirds except for some widely separated flurries in the northwest. Highs generally -3 to +1 C.

TUESDAY ... A few further flurries in the southeast, chance of sleety showers near the west coast, staying rather cold in the daytime, but bitterly cold for some during the early morning. Highs generally -2 to +1 C.

WED-THURS ... Dry and cold, some sunshine each day, lows could reach -15 C over snow and -7 C in most areas, highs near -1 C. Some snow possible by late Thursday.

FRIDAY (Christmas Eve) into SATURDAY (Christmas Day) currently looking unsettled and possibly a bit milder, but there is a risk of snow or freezing drizzle. For now, would say chances about 2/3 that it would stay cold and be a white Christmas from the earlier snow if not from falling snow.

OUTLOOK ... see situation report above.

The weather here today (Friday 17th) was sunny and the high was about 7 deg C. Expecting rain tomorrow.

As snowfall amounts are posted in the forecasts above, I will leave out the table for now, partly because it would require even more divisions to handle all the expected variations, but in general, it looks like the area around Athlone may stay closest to dry through the period, and areas from Cork to Waterford to Carlow might see the most snow during the period, once today's Ulster snowfall dies out.

Updates may follow ... but I can safely say that I may be asleep from 0800 to 1500 so in that time frame, would consult the forum discussion for updated forecast thoughts.

Not really an update ... just comments on situation.

I got one forecast spot on, slept from 0800 to 1500. :D

Have been looking at all available guidance since about then and really every model seems content with its earlier development, whether right or wrong, and there is a growing tendency to develop low pressure over France around Tuesday and move that northeast to the North Sea by about late Wednesday. This would have the effect of slowly backing winds over Ireland from Sunday's generally ESE direction to mid-week NE or even NNE, although not a very strong gradient in most cases, and with the effects of a weak ridge of higher pressure running through northwest Ireland from its ultimate source in the far north.

From tonight through Sunday, the main player in the weather forecast for Ireland will be the slowly-advancing low off the west coast which is dropping almost due south before turning east. This is spreading 3-5 cms type snowfalls into some west coast regions and could continue to affect parts of west Galway, coastal Clare, then later Kerry and west Cork.

I continue to think there's potential for some fairly significant snow to break out overnight and into Sunday across the southwest and inland south to southeast. But there's no cause for an updated forecast at this point. As to streamers for the east coast, this remains a slight chance at all times now to late Sunday and perhaps a better chance on Monday with the more northeasterly fetch.

My status now is -- out for the day -- so would doubt there would be an update from me before normal forecast time but check around 0100 as I will be able to have a quick look just before then. Weather here is gloomy with rain or perhaps sleet moving in, it's cold enough to snow just above my elevation and I expect it will snow on the local foothills and definitely in the nearby mountains, although down around Seattle WA it could be as mild as 10 or 12 C, so there's quite a gradient here, we are currently at 3.5 C.

Sunday, 19 December, 2010

We can be fairly certain that it will remain cold until Christmas Day, but the prospects for further snowfalls remain quite uncertain. Most model guidance continues to indicate weak systems that do not spread much if any moisture inland, away from the southwest. However, two things could go wrong with that dry scenario, first there could be stronger development as hinted at on one or two of the models; and second, there could be outbreaks of snow where dry weather is indicated as the air inland is intensely cold while the air along the south coast is holding a temperature near 2 or 3 C. Also there is the issue of streamers moving inland from the Irish Sea at various times, which seems likely to happen somewhere on a daily basis. Not an easy forecast scenario for snowfall, and then there is the looming question of a possible breakdown to milder weather, which several models insist will happen on the 25th, while others hold firm to the colder regime. I'll keep my opinion a surprise to the end of the forecast.

TODAY ... Widespread ice fog inland, low cloud or mist gradually breaking up to give some periods of wintry sunshine, icy roads very likely ... some snow breaking out across parts of Galway, Clare, Kerry (inland) and Cork (inland), with rain or sleet along the outer southwest coast. By afternoon and evening, some of this snow could spread to other parts of the south and southeast. Watch for updates, this is not yet a "sure thing." But snowfall amounts where the snow does break out, could exceed 5 cms in places. Also there will be further chances for streamers on the east coast, affecting parts of Leinster and Ulster. Highs today should average -2 C with colder readings in north central counties, milder along the south coast (to 5 C on outer coast). For Cork city, a tricky forecast, mixed precip may move in and be divided by elevation as temperatures hover in the 1-2 C range. But there is potential for heavy snow in places around county Cork later on, as there will be during the whole day in Kerry (inland). Winds today generally rather light easterly but SE backing to E 15-25 mph south coast.

TONIGHT ... Some clearing, bitterly cold except for the southern counties where rather cold, lows generally -8 to -15 C (not quite this severe in some coastal areas around the east, north and west) while -2 to -4 C south, where a continued risk of snow will exist (updates may change this to amounts forecast). Streamers from the Irish Sea could give local 2-5 cm accumulations.

MONDAY ... Following another bitterly cold night with local ice fog and lows in the -15 to -8 C range (and again, milder in the south, near -4 C), the day will be cloudy with some sunny breaks, and possible outbreaks of snow in the east and south. There will be moderate E to NE winds at times, and the daytime highs will be in the range of -4 to +1 C.

TUESDAY ... Bitterly cold with ice fog to start, lows -16 to -8 C inland, closer to -4 C in the south, with risk of snow breaking out at times during the day, highs only around -3 C.

WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY ... Continuing very cold, some clear spots in central and northwest counties, where lows could reach -15 C each night, ice fog in places, while the east will see stronger NE winds and a risk of heavy snow in streamers or organized bands, highs each day around -2 C.

FRIDAY (Christmas Eve) ... Cloudy, cold, possible snow at times, but also some sunshine in the north. Temperatures remaining very low and similar to the previous days, but perhaps a bit milder in the south and southwest.

SATURDAY (Christmas Day) ... At this time, the odds seem to favour a cold day with snow but sleet or rain are possible in the southwest. The cold spell could break down at some point, but model performance on this question has been erratic to say the least, so the conclusion is, only a gradual warming trend seems likely and it could be reversed at any point.

Watch for updates today and visit the discussion forums for all the latest thinking, especially between 0900 and 1600 when I am likely to be off duty (although it's always a good idea).

The weather here on Saturday (18th) was wet and chilly with a mixture of rain and wet snow, no accumulation at my elevation but probably sticking just a bit higher up. The temperature was steady around 2-3 C. It remains quite cold across most of North America although not too extreme in most places. A snowfall of several inches is likely across the lower Great Lakes on Monday and Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Where's the snow storm you predicted?

Advertisement