Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I wanted a RG Starlight in the beginning :D - then again I wanted purple salmon strap too ;) - so personal tastes won't be fully influencing rational business decisions :D - people were concerned about plating - 1.5 years in the RG plated clasps on the initial prototypes are still holding strong actually. Like I said before I think modern PVD is a lot more resistant than plating of the past.

On the other hand - reticence about plating is why I'm going with full tungsten too. But I think plating on elements that cannot possibly wear from touch is something that gives a good compromise, as well as looking nice with the aventurine dial in a steel case.

Yup - it was "phoney war" after we got all the cases/dials/hands etc. manufactured and then were just waiting for HZ to finish. Now the factory gets spun up and assembly begins, I get my shipper lined up to fly the Starlights over to Ireland (realistically around April 30th) and I start attaching the clasps and straps while performing QC on each single watch - delivery to backers/customers follow thereafter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Time wrote: »
    One thing i've learned from running my own business the past few years is that what people tell you they want, and what they actually want, aren't always the same. Sometimes you have to decide what they want for them ;)

Rose Gold and date looks very well for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Rose Gold for me no date

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Rose gold and date for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Silver date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What's the craic with with the Sólás now? Must be zeroing in on imminence :). Time to start ironing cuffs soon?

Hey FB - the assembly is ongoing (movements arrived at the factory last week) - we're on target for mid-May being when the watches arrive in Ireland and shortly thereafter we start shipping them out after one last round of QC and attaching the straps/clasps and filling out all the warranty cards etc.

I will be probably sending out the survey on KS soon enough (start of May probably) to get official shipping address to be used - reason why I haven't up to now is that people's addresses can change if I ask it too early. So realistically you'll still have a month to go before your ironed (and perhaps linked) cuffs will be enveloping the CE Starlight.

And actually - will be publishing a special update about the CE Starlight too along with photos of assembly soon in my second April update - special as in there's a hidden perk for the people who backed a CE Starlight that wasn't made public :) .

The May updates should be 1: the watches are being shipped from China to Ireland now, and 2: we've started shipping the finished watches from Ireland to fulfill KS and then pre-order customers' orders.

Bank account a *few* grand lighter :D and off to collect the hundreds of straps now - have a few special ones ordered for Equinox too (optional add ons and something to give Turas some work potentially as a diver model is mostly going to be on the bracelet or the bungee cord diving attachment). Model 3 "Eclipse" will be returning to straps mostly.

Pieta is fully on board for our "Ó dhorchadas go solas" campaign in 2022 and the good thing with getting permission and working together so far in advance is that I can really integrate some Pieta designs and elements into the watch for the Pieta unique version. Apparently they have solutions that don't incurr fees that GoFundMe charges so more funds can be sent over to ultimate recipient so all in all great news.

Here's a sneak peak at the new (and improved?) Sólás website - we'll be launching the pre-order for the retail Starlights on May 8th - the weekend was spent getting the website up to snuff (including setting up direct payment options which will be much, much cheaper than the Paypal option I'm currently using).

https://solaswatches7.godaddysites.com/ - this is still work in progress and I expect to get further details/photos to update the site - but feel free to look around at the new site and please let me know if anything is broken.

You'll find a small hint about our Equinox model too :)

r82iEklh.jpg

...oh ho ho - almost time to start ironing those cuffs :)

• Advertisement

In preparation of the arrival of the final production version of the Starlights I got a new (to me - it's actually a vintage lens from the 80s I think) macro lens to take some proper shots - these are just some tester shots straight from the camera so don't mind the fluff - there is a marked improvement using a dedicated macro lens versus my old makeshift setup...

Non aventuresence:

fyCNUr1l.jpg

Full aventurescence:

S5u50Yvl.jpg

Caseback (can't wait to have the blued screwed version in hand):

WDndaC3l.jpg

ErzShASl.jpg

Tonight I'll be drafting up a massive update - all the watch production updates (almost ready to ship), strap updates (all straps done), workshop update (set up and waiting for watches to arrive) and miscellaneous...

Bring on May!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Dev1234

Thirdfox wrote: »

Jesus TF, that's a serious amount of quality checks and effort on your behalf.

I remember backing Solas last year and to be honest it was somewhat of a distraction to all that was going on so thank you for that.

The timing of getting the watches out to the backers coincides nicely with the lifting of restrictions so a double whammy of positivety coming our way!!

Well done!!

Dev1234 wrote: »
    Jesus TF, that's a serious amount of quality checks and effort on your behalf.

I remember backing Solas last year and to be honest it was somewhat of a distraction to all that was going on so thank you for that.

The timing of getting the watches out to the backers coincides nicely with the lifting of restrictions so a double whammy of positivety coming our way!!

Well done!!

Thanks Dev - it's only right that for people paying a microbrand premium (yes we're competing with Swiss luxury brands from price pressures above but also with Chinese factory brands from below too) - that buyers get value for what they're paying. The same will be done for Equinox too.

Right now I'm working for free with Sólás - because that means any Starlight profits get invested into Equinox/retail Starlight orders - all in those 5 minute repeater goal hopes.

Model 3 (Eclipse) itself is something that should be pretty spectacular in its own right too to be honest - and something that lays down the engineering framework for Lir.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Random q for you TF, would you ever see yourself doing PM models of any sort?

Ha - strange you mention that - there are people pushing me to do PM models quite a bit - but I think that's not in the spirit of Sólás at all.

Lir may be in a precious metal ultimately to celebrate Sólás reaching a summit. But there could be other options for PM models, just not from Sólás :) the quality has to be there first of all before I could even consider looking at PM (which to be honest is commercially sensible - but Sólás isn't fully about "commercially sensible" at its roots).

Begun the very tentative steps to enquiring about sourcing a movement for the Lir - oof - trying to hit a sub-4k CHF (tax inclusive I believe) price point for a repeater will be *very* tough from the looks of it - not a case how much leeway/profit is made but whether any profit is made at all. Things might change in the future though so it's early days' yet.

At least Swiss suppliers have started responding to me now :p

Just transferred over a 5 figure sum to start physical review sample manufacture of the Equinox - the last thing to be settled with 60 or 120 clicks bezel and I went with 60 - it's more difficult to implement correctly with tighter tolerances than 120 and I prefer the chunkier clunk vs mini-clicks of the 120. Also influenced by the fact that my Pelagos had the best bezel feeling action of all the divers I've owned (never owned a 120 click submariner which I'm sure will be smooth too) - but preferred the Pelagos over the Seamaster or Tag in terms of 120 vs 60 - was waiting for factory samples to arrive from China to determine whether to go with 60 or 120.

Now the (5 month) wait begins for physical units and for it to all come together.

Also transferred a 4 figure sum to a shipping company to collect the first batch of CE Starlights from Guangzhou tomorrow - they're almost here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Wow congratulations! I'd be in agreement on 60 click Tudor bezels, would it be difficult to put the more substantial indent at 12 o clock so it's easy to align? I really like that feature.

I believe so david - anything that is custom means a factory needs to charge custom fees for doing so (if you even meet MOQ requirements in the first place) - the cost of the Equinox is already huge (compared to Starlight) - so while I did ask about it, it was just one of the things that a 4k watch can incorporate that a 1k watch might not be able to.

The alignment was perfect on the samples I looked at - and while I enjoyed having the Pelagos "lock" at 12 - it's a question of would people pay an additional (hypothetical) 60 euro for it (when factoring additional potential QC issues, moulding costs, trialling time etc.) - just like tritium, it's something that I had to leave out due to trying to get cost/value balance right. Hence making the point that a 60 euro feature might be relatively negligible at 4k but at 1k (and less for KS) you have to count the pennies (or at least €60s).

For the Equinox - the idea will be tungsten case/bracelet - including first in world ratcheting tungsten clasp is the key seller - thin, weighty, super scratch resistent well finished watch - on the way towards building our repeater watch - is the angle that Sólás will be going for.

I'll be putting up to a 6 figure sum personally for production - KS won't be used to fund the entire project (as was the case with Starlight) - backers will be seeing that they are getting 1k watch value at a true capital funding discount (as was the case with Starlight). And keeping in mind that 1k microbrand value watches will be trying to compete with 2-3k Swiss watches (or higher) in terms of effective quality.

Since Equinox will be the last time I plan to use crowdfunding - it'll be the last time such deep discounts will be available too - people will be able to judge what we've built and see if the value is there for them - but Sólás won't be "bottom of barrel" value like Pagani/San Martin (who offer amazing value if you just want a homage watch) - but great value independent design that aims to do something different but horologically useful/significant (though it's debatable if "affordable noisy lume" is useful at all :pac: ).

People are interested in buying the Starlight at €549 which we will be selling in around 4 months (and pre-orders open in 2 days :) ). I am placing a 6 figure bet that they will understand why Equinox comes with a €999 (pre-VAT) price tag too (and the people who only wanted a $200 or $400 watch would probably be much better catered to by San Martin or Lobinni in terms of offering best bang for their buck).

All of the above will require a very strategic marketing campaign to make the people who are considering 2-3k watches have a look at our KS campaign I think. And at the end of the KS Equinox campaign the principle "profit" will be building brand equity (at least at the KS tiers) in preparation for our Lir moonshot. But nothing ventured...

• Advertisement

Retail store launched today - a few early sales and the silver no-date is quite popular:
    https://solaswatches.com/shop/ols/categories/starlight

And in other good news - some sample clasps have arrived from the bracelet/clasp supplier - very nice indeed. I looked up the brands that are using these stainless steel clasps (the clasps are branded) and they are sold in the $1.3k-1.8k watches (as they should be due to the cost).

So it gives some perspective about why I think $650-800 for the watch in tungsten at KS is a true "bargain" and a $1.2k retail is justified. The base cost of an Equinox is very high... but CE buyers will get a good pre-order pre-KS deal too (due to that VAT registration issue). Figures are boring though - I'll reveal more info when I can - I think now that we've gotten the review orders out I can start revealing things (and building awareness - since the fund raising target is ambitious I realise and even if a watch is good value, it doesn't mean someone will necessarily want to buy :) - watches are always discretionary goods after all).

Oh - and speaking of CE Starlights - if anyone is still interested in a CE Starlight (so on the horween strap, silver with date) for €409 (instead of €449 for a retail Starlight on salmon) please let me know :)

I've been informed by my shipment company that the cargo should arrive by 15 May (customs clearance will take a bit too) - but as planned I am getting the watches by mid-May and can start doing last stage QC and "assembling" the straps/clasps onto the watches :P

...oh and since I've pressed go on the Equinox's physical review production now here's some more info about our upcoming diver...

AqQTYaUl.png

Since Gaelige wouldn't fit/be useful as a bezel etching - instead I'll be using Ogham.

It made perfect sense to me - instead of having "simple" teeth - why not have it intrinsically tied to Irish too? The Ogham spells out Sólás Cónocht (Equinox). Outer bezel is in tungsten too (a massive engineering headache btw).

Ogham is a cool touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Delighted to see that Ogham is workable TF.
    It was one of the design choices that I had a worry about when you teased it.

To see the relief depth and even on the render the tactile attraction :D
    I'm looking forward to parting with my cash for this one...

Wonder if I can convince the Mrs to buy it for me?
    Subliminal inception campaign will begin shortly :P

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

banie01 wrote: »
    Delighted to see that Ogham is workable TF.
    It was one of the design choices that I had a worry about when you teased it.

To see the relief depth and even on the render the tactile attraction :D
    I'm looking forward to parting with my cash for this one...

Wonder if I can convince the Mrs to buy it for me?
    Subliminal inception campaign will begin shortly :P

You could start leaving subtle ogham messages around the house

[IMG][/img]ogham.png
    upload a pic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Ogham is very cool.
    Lovely detail.

@colm - you can see why I avoided using Sólás Equinox in ogham on the bezel - the X would be very hard to cut into a tungsten bezel (while also not adding to usability/tactility in having slanted edges) and Cónocht was a better choice in having it all as Gaelige/ogham. Just some of the little details that happened to line up in place for what I was going for in terms of an Irish watch design - had to fight hard for it to be included since micro-cutting into tungsten bezels really isn't easy - but if it was something like this vs. having a deeper notch at 12 (the two weren't in competition but just using a cost example) - I wanted the Equinox to be distinctively Irish.

It's details like this that add 10s of euro to base cost that you just couldn't offer in a sub-500 retail watch (unless you cut out something more important) - not saying this is the best thing since sliced bread at all - but product decisions made on, for example, fighting to keep the line that runs right around the bezel - that's intrinsic to ogham whereas it would be much, much easier to leave it out. Reviewers/customers might not care one jot about this tiny detail in the end - but I care - and I want Sólás to be known for attention to detail and at the prices we're asking for - the small details matter as much as the large ones.

People know I couldn't get absolutely everything I wanted into the watch at the price point - tritium for one - though, I have since been speaking with a watch reviewer who made the good point that tritium's half-life is an issue in terms of selling watches - if you have hundreds in stock and not sold the tritium lifetime is ticking away still - a business point that isn't related to the material but is a very important consideration nonetheless.

edit: and just to add too if you look up the Wiki for Ogham - there doesn't seem to be an original X character either - so I was safer going for "genuine"/traditional ogham in sticking with cónocht and actual characters used by proto-Irish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Yes I believe the Tuatha Dé Danann were big into watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

The Equinox looks really interesting. You'll be in esteemed company using Ogham on it.

If you can say, will the bezel overhang the case, or sit flush like the image?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cool I adore the Ogham idea. Did it ever strike you to use the old Irish script for the "Sólás"? Though it wouldn't have been hugely different I suppose.
    My favourite dive watch I picked up a while ago has sort of Norse rune symbols at 6 and 9 which I think is pretty cool too.

47916e7a8ec53614a819c6943e449b8b-original.jpg

Advertisement