Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TENS machine?

• 15-02-2021 5:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have chronic upper back/shoulder/lower neck pain. Periodic physio helped to a significant degree. but lockdowns rule that out.

I think I would like to get a TENS machine. Electric stimulation worked well in physio, and I think it's called TENS in customer machines (because "EMS" seems to be more for training). If I can also use it to help stretch muscles in the thighs (for riding), so much the better, but that's optional.

The question is which model to get and where. Lots of them on Amazon UK; I understand I need big electrodes as shoulders are a large area, there are models with that. But I do not know which would be trustworthy. Besides, the warranty on Amazon is of limited use. because An Post often rejects packets with devices (because of the lithium batteries) and other parcel services can be expensive.

So ideally I'd get a machine in Ireland, but which machine and where? Or else which model should I be going for on Amazon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭vixdname

I actually bought one off of WISH, for under €15 and its absolutely excellent.

Lots of pads, 10 pre programmed routines depending on what body area youre working on and full manual control if you want it.

I was looking at buying one here but said Id try the wish one, there are loads of different types but the one I got i'm very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Thanks! But not sure I want to wait the month or two it can take for a Wish or Aliexpress one to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saz2020

vixdname wrote: »
    I actually bought one off of WISH, for under €15 and its absolutely excellent.

Lots of pads, 10 pre programmed routines depending on what body area youre working on and full manual control if you want it.

I was looking at buying one here but said Id try the wish one, there are loads of different types but the one I got i'm very happy with it.

I second this. My other half bought one from wish too,and its absolutely amazing. Didnt actually take long to arrive either. He got it for his lower back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I got a half decent on in Boots for pain from broken ribs and for me worked better than any painkillers.
    It was about 40euro but the pads are disposable and about 10euro each (lasted about a week each for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

RobFowl wrote: »
    I got a half decent on in Boots for pain from broken ribs and for me worked better than any painkillers.
    It was about 40euro but the pads are disposable and about 10euro each (lasted about a week each for me)
    It's really not used in the hospital setting for acute pain at all, I can't think of a good reason for it other than NCHDs aren't familiar with it. It's far less harmful than opioids and only a fraction of the cost of an Oxy PCA. Having said that I did remove quite a few pens patches from the lower backs of women in Labour prior to me doing an epidural for them . If TENS actually worked for labour pain then I would have gotten a lot more sleep on call!

Although to the OP, it's definitely worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭MichaelR

So I eventually found an option on Amazon that does not have the "can't return for warranty" problem, because it does not have a built-in battery and instead uses a standard 9 V battery. It does TENS and EMS. I bought it and in general I like it so far, though I only used a few TENS programmes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XSJ8JCG

Advertisement