Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are antipsychotics so fatigue inducing?

• 14-03-2021 5:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭

I've taken antipsychotics for sleep and mania (Abilify/aripriprazole) and (Seroquel/quetiapine).

Though they were effective for sleep, I can honestly say that it was a terrible experience. I couid barely function during the day, even on 5mf of Abilify and 25mg of Seroquel.

I'm now taking 0.5mg/500mcg of x10 of Xanax(alprazolam) every month and find it is effective but has virtually no side effects of fatigue.

Why is that? I've read somewhere online that says that GABA drugs are more 'natural' in aiding sleep than antipsychotics. Benzos and Z-drugs increase GABA which is something that the body naturally does whereas antipsychotics are antagonists at dopamine, serotonin, and adrenergic receptors. Blocking these knocks you out but they are also responsible for wakefulness so you get a very uncomfortable groggy feeling the day after taking them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

Responses can be subjective.

Based on the "upstream" (cognition via neural-electrical/action-potential activity) vs "downstream" (neurotransmitter signalling) dynamic.

It might have that affect relative to your cognitive setup, but others may find the opposite - and believe it or no with modification of cognition, the downstream response to various drug interventions itself can actually vary.

A.P.'s are heavily anti-histamine based also = hypnotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Out of interest have you ever been prescribed antihistamines for sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mules wrote: »
    Out of interest have you ever been prescribed antihistamines for sleep?

No but when I am desperate I do take OTC piriton with excellent effect..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭1cxb0tkuav6p4l

Meant to add as well however, the general premise of anti-psychotics is downregulate neuro transmission.

GABA based drugs this is the case also, though their mechanism differs.

Primarily AP's block dopamine being associated with reward/emotional based behavior, GABA drugs target ion channels reducing general nerve impulse.

On that basis, their purpose is to induce sedation.

As mentioned above it is subjective, but its just a general fact that their mechanism is to induce a high sedative effect with particular focus on lethargy.

Advertisement