Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
05-03-2017, 14:58   #1
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Grange, Dublin
Posts: 9,358
Irish Weather Statistics

I've gathered Ireland's % of LTA rainfall for every month since March 2011 here in this graph below. Yes, they're not Grange's , they're Ireland's.

Since March 2011, there has been three months with 200% or more of the average rainfall, June 2012, February 2014 and December 2015.

There has been four months with 50% or less of the average rainfall, March 2011, March 2012, September 2014 and October 2016.

sryanbruen is offline  
Advertisement
05-03-2017, 22:14   #2
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Grange, Dublin
Posts: 9,358
Ireland's below average temperature months since August 2010 with anomalies (Mean temperature in brackets)

Nov 2016: -1.8 (5.5)
Apr 2016: -1.4 (7.2)
Mar 2016: -1.0 (6.0)
Feb 2016: -0.5 (4.7)
Sep 2015: -1.0 (12.2)
Aug 2015: -1.3 (14.0)
Jul 2015: -1.2 (14.0)
Jun 2015: -0.7 (13.0)
May 2015: -1.2 (9.9)
Apr 2015: -0.2 (8.4)
Mar 2015: -0.9 (6.1)
Feb 2015: -0.8 (4.4)
Jan 2015: -0.5 (4.8)
Aug 2014: -1.3 (14.0)
Nov 2013: -0.8 (6.5)
Jun 2013: -0.1 (13.6)
May 2013: -0.9 (10.2)
Apr 2013: -1.4 (7.2)
Mar 2013: -3.4 (3.6)
Feb 2013: -0.5 (4.7)
Nov 2012: -1.2 (6.1)
Oct 2012: -1.6 (8.6)
Sep 2012: -1.0 (12.2)
Jul 2012: -1.0 (14.2)
Jun 2012: -0.6 (13.1)
May 2012: -0.1 (11.0)
Apr 2012: -1.6 (7.0)
Aug 2011: -1.7 (13.6)
Jul 2011: -0.8 (14.4)
Jun 2011: -1.5 (12.2)
Jan 2011: -2.0 (3.3)
Dec 2010: -5.7 (-0.4)
Nov 2010: -2.2 (5.1)
Oct 2010: -0.1 (10.1)
Aug 2010: -1.1 (14.2)

I have highlighted the top 5 most extreme cold months and one of them is interestingly November 2016 .

I will be updating this post every time a new colder than normal month takes place.

Number of colder than normal months by year:

2010: 7 (inc. January-March)
2011: 4
2012: 7
2013: 6
2014: 1
2015: 9
2016: 4

Last edited by sryanbruen; 05-03-2017 at 22:20.
sryanbruen is offline  
05-03-2017, 23:24   #3
pedigree 6
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 4,170
I was just wondering if anyone here is able to answer this?

When we say above or below average temperatures, rainfall, any weather, etc.
How is the average worked out and how many years does it go back to, to work out the average?
Is it always since records began or maybe the last 20 or 30 years?

Thanks in advance.
pedigree 6 is offline  
05-03-2017, 23:27   #4
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Grange, Dublin
Posts: 9,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedigree 6 View Post
I was just wondering if anyone here is able to answer this?

When we say above or below average temperatures, rainfall, any weather, etc.
How is the average worked out and how many years does it go back to, to work out the average?
Is it always since records began or maybe the last 20 or 30 years?

Thanks in advance.
The average is based on a certain 30 year average. The most recent average we use is the 1981-2010 average. Before that, we used the 1971-2000 average and before that, the 1961-1990 average etc. So the next 30 year average will be 1991-2020.

Of course, not all stations do it this way. For example, my station Grange (just as an example) uses the 1986-2016 average because my station's records go back to only 1986.

These are Ireland's average temperatures for each month (1981-2010 average) (in case anybody finds these useful for any calculations):

January: 5.3
February: 5.2
March: 7.0
April: 8.6
May: 11.1
June: 13.7
July: 15.2
August: 15.3 (Yes, August 0.1c hotter than July )
September: 13.2
October: 10.2
November: 7.3
December: 5.3

Last edited by sryanbruen; 05-03-2017 at 23:40.
sryanbruen is offline  
06-03-2017, 12:09   #5
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Grange, Dublin
Posts: 9,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
Ireland's below average temperature months since August 2010 with anomalies (Mean temperature in brackets)

Nov 2016: -1.8 (5.5)
Apr 2016: -1.4 (7.2)
Mar 2016: -1.0 (6.0)
Feb 2016: -0.5 (4.7)
Sep 2015: -1.0 (12.2)
Aug 2015: -1.3 (14.0)
Jul 2015: -1.2 (14.0)
Jun 2015: -0.7 (13.0)
May 2015: -1.2 (9.9)
Apr 2015: -0.2 (8.4)
Mar 2015: -0.9 (6.1)
Feb 2015: -0.8 (4.4)
Jan 2015: -0.5 (4.8)
Aug 2014: -1.3 (14.0)
Nov 2013: -0.8 (6.5)
Jun 2013: -0.1 (13.6)
May 2013: -0.9 (10.2)
Apr 2013: -1.4 (7.2)
Mar 2013: -3.4 (3.6)
Feb 2013: -0.5 (4.7)
Nov 2012: -1.2 (6.1)
Oct 2012: -1.6 (8.6)
Sep 2012: -1.0 (12.2)
Jul 2012: -1.0 (14.2)
Jun 2012: -0.6 (13.1)
May 2012: -0.1 (11.0)
Apr 2012: -1.6 (7.0)
Aug 2011: -1.7 (13.6)
Jul 2011: -0.8 (14.4)
Jun 2011: -1.5 (12.2)
Jan 2011: -2.0 (3.3)
Dec 2010: -5.7 (-0.4)
Nov 2010: -2.2 (5.1)
Oct 2010: -0.1 (10.1)
Aug 2010: -1.1 (14.2)

I have highlighted the top 5 most extreme cold months and one of them is interestingly November 2016 .

I will be updating this post every time a new colder than normal month takes place.

Number of colder than normal months by year:

2010: 7 (inc. January-March)
2011: 4
2012: 7
2013: 6
2014: 1
2015: 9
2016: 4
Updated with the rest of 2010, 2009 and 2008 added now.

Nov 2016: -1.8 (5.5)
Apr 2016: -1.4 (7.2)
Mar 2016: -1.0 (6.0)
Feb 2016: -0.5 (4.7)
Sep 2015: -1.0 (12.2)
Aug 2015: -1.3 (14.0)
Jul 2015: -1.2 (14.0)
Jun 2015: -0.7 (13.0)
May 2015: -1.2 (9.9)
Apr 2015: -0.2 (8.4)
Mar 2015: -0.9 (6.1)
Feb 2015: -0.8 (4.4)
Jan 2015: -0.5 (4.8)
Aug 2014: -1.3 (14.0)
Nov 2013: -0.8 (6.5)
Jun 2013: -0.1 (13.6)
May 2013: -0.9 (10.2)
Apr 2013: -1.4 (7.2)
Mar 2013: -3.4 (3.6)
Feb 2013: -0.5 (4.7)
Nov 2012: -1.2 (6.1)
Oct 2012: -1.6 (8.6)
Sep 2012: -1.0 (12.2)
Jul 2012: -1.0 (14.2)
Jun 2012: -0.6 (13.1)
May 2012: -0.1 (11.0)
Apr 2012: -1.6 (7.0)
Aug 2011: -1.7 (13.6)
Jul 2011: -0.8 (14.4)
Jun 2011: -1.5 (12.2)
Jan 2011: -2.0 (3.3)
Dec 2010: -5.7 (-0.4)
Nov 2010: -2.2 (5.1)
Oct 2010: -0.1 (10.1)
Aug 2010: -1.1 (14.2)
Mar 2010: -1.1 (5.9)
Feb 2010: -2.4 (2.9)
Jan 2010: -2.9 (2.3)
Dec 2009: -1.9 (3.4)
Jan 2009: -0.7 (4.5)
Dec 2008: -0.4 (4.9)
Oct 2008: -0.5 (9.7)
Sep 2008: -0.3 (12.9)
Apr 2008: -0.3 (8.3)
Mar 2008: -0.3 (6.7)

Number of colder than normal months by year

2009: 2
2008: 5
sryanbruen is offline  
Advertisement
06-03-2017, 22:17   #6
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Down in the Park
Posts: 2,690
All Ireland Weather Stats

Just opening this thread so as to have a place for others to post and keep on record Irish weather stats on a ongoing level. I noticed last night that Syran posted some incredibly detailed stats on the 'Spring' thread which no doubt took a lot of work and research to compile. I think such stats would be better placed in a dedicated thread like this, because they will be lost and forgotten in the other thread once numerous posts come in discussing the first 17.0c being reached in late March or April.

I'll start off the thread with a trivial stat. Up to yesterday, Ireland as a whole has seen 38% less rainfall since the start of the year than in the same period last year.
Oneiric 3 is offline  
(4) thanks from:
07-03-2017, 00:34   #7
axe2grind
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by sryanbruen View Post
Wettest March day in many places yesterday since 2004 (when Valentia recorded 42.0mm on the 11th)

Roches Point - 39.5mm
Moore Park - 34.0mm
Shannon Airport - 32.4mm
Cork Airport - 32.0mm
Valentia Observatory - 30.2mm
Mace Head - 29.3mm
Newport - 26.3mm
Sherkin Island - 26.1mm
Athenry - 24.5mm
Claremorris - 22.7mm
21st March 2013 was very wet in places. Cork AP had 42.0mm but there were plenty places wetter.

The stats are great but I found it misleading. No denying it was very wet on the 3rd in some areas, wettest midnight to midnight March day at Shannon since 1962
axe2grind is offline  
(2) thanks from:
07-03-2017, 08:33   #8
Oneiric 3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Down in the Park
Posts: 2,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by axe2grind View Post
21st March 2013 was very wet in places. Cork AP had 42.0mm but there were plenty places wetter.

The stats are great but I found it misleading. No denying it was very wet on the 3rd in some areas, wettest midnight to midnight March day at Shannon since 1962
Cork Apt had 41.2mm on Mar 21/13, so yep, a wet day, but the recent event was wetter on a more national level in general.
Oneiric 3 is offline  
(3) thanks from:
07-03-2017, 17:44   #9
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Grange, Dublin
Posts: 9,358
Winter 2016/17 compared to Winter 2015/16 in Ireland, temperature wise

Winter 2015/16

December - 8.2
January - 5.8
February - 4.7
Winter - 6.2

Winter 2016/17

December - 6.6
January - 6.0
February - 6.3
Winter - 6.3

Interestingly, Winter 2016/17 was +0.1c warmer than Winter 2015/16 was in Ireland.
sryanbruen is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-03-2017, 17:45   #10
DOCARCH
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dublin 16 : 265ft ASL
Posts: 10,232
Mod Note: I have move sryan's posts into this thread, but, I can't change the order as they are always sorted chronologically.
DOCARCH is offline  
07-03-2017, 17:46   #11
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Grange, Dublin
Posts: 9,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCARCH View Post
Mod Note: I have move sryan's posts into this thread, but, I can't change the order as they are always sorted chronologically.
Not a problem , I appreciate the move very much.
sryanbruen is offline  
Thanks from:
07-03-2017, 19:58   #12
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Grange, Dublin
Posts: 9,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by axe2grind View Post
21st March 2013 was very wet in places. Cork AP had 42.0mm but there were plenty places wetter.

The stats are great but I found it misleading. No denying it was very wet on the 3rd in some areas, wettest midnight to midnight March day at Shannon since 1962
I see your confusion no worries. I forgot about 21st March 2013 . Probably because it was the worst day of my life and I don't want to remember it. I dread March 21st every year. But you're right anyway.
sryanbruen is offline  
(2) thanks from:
07-03-2017, 21:17   #13
pauldry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sligo 54.26N 8.46W 34M 111.5FT
Posts: 3,263
These are great Stats syran.

Have you any for Summers of 2007 - 2012.

In Sligo I remember these being incredibly bad cold wet and dull.

I wonder was it the same countrywide.

Interestingly I am sure that 2016/17 Winter the Northwest was one of the driest places in Ireland. March will be our first > 100mm month for rainfall in 5 or 6.

That temperature anomally charts great. I was going to do one with the rainfalls but Im not as dedicated as yourself.
pauldry is offline  
07-03-2017, 21:26   #14
sryanbruen
Registered User
 
sryanbruen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Grange, Dublin
Posts: 9,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldry View Post
These are great Stats syran.

Have you any for Summers of 2007 - 2012.

In Sligo I remember these being incredibly bad cold wet and dull.

I wonder was it the same countrywide.

Interestingly I am sure that 2016/17 Winter the Northwest was one of the driest places in Ireland. March will be our first > 100mm month for rainfall in 5 or 6.

That temperature anomally charts great. I was going to do one with the rainfalls but Im not as dedicated as yourself.
Thank you . If I have time tomorrow, I will put up stats on those Summers, it won't be a problem at all for me to do them for you.
sryanbruen is offline  
(2) thanks from:
07-03-2017, 21:29   #15
riffmongous
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Out foreign
Posts: 8,474
what do you mean by "Ireland's"? How is it calculated?
riffmongous is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet