Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What T V series from the 90s would you like to see be redone again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭thomil

Gatling wrote: »
    Battlestar Galactica got a fairly decent reboot , apparently it's getting another reboot next year

All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I thankfully cannot remember the 90's very much.

I know though that I had a great time, it was a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Not too sure that I'd like to see any TV shows from the past resurrected tbh. When they do try, they usually make a balls of it. They've tried necromancy on 'The Twilight Zone' since the 80's and it's been awful each time, including the latest. 'Battlestar Galactica' wasn't as great as some people like to suggest either. There are numerous shows you could point to as examples of failed reboots.

But, in any case, if you actually look back at a lot (an awful lot) of TV shows of the past they just aren't as good as you remember them. 'Knightrider', 'Streethawk', 'Airwrolf', 'The A Team' (I can't think of any 90's TV shows ATM), they're all pretty terrible, and if made today they would last a single series.

I spose if there's one I had to choose, it would be 'Ulysses 31' (yeh, it's the 80's I know). But done completely straighfaced. That means no No-No or other annoying crap.

Oh, and 'Moviedrome'. It's not a TV show, but it was indispensable to me growing up. Simply don't understand why something like that hasn't been repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Cheating a little....

MT USA only with Vincent Hanley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

American Gothic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,205 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

thomil wrote: »
    All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again...

So say we all!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Cars that transformed from muscle cars to pickup trucks and back again

The taped over badges on the Chevrolet Suburbans was taking Ford's sponsorship a bit toofar

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Animaniacs. Actually just leave it untouched. Perfect for its era.
    Same for Pinky and the Brain.

But let's agree never to talk about Elmira ever again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Ultraviolet, Channel 4 mini-series from the late 1990s starring Jack Davenport, Stephen Moyer and Idris Elba.
    Approached vampires (or 'Code Vs') from an X-Files type perspective.
    Only 6 episodes... though it had great potential.
    Great series. I'd forgotten Idris was in it.

You'd have to rename it though. The film of the same name was one of the first Blu-Ray I bought. In a charity shop for 50c or something. To test a player. I tried to watch it and gave up shortly afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I dont think there any for me as they very rarely live up to the nostalgic charm of the originals. Loved Crystal Maze, Krypton Factor, the Word, Game on and many more back in the day. Vids on Ch4 was great but it was of its time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

A live-action Battle of the PLanets (it's a bt earlier than the 90s though, admittedly).

That's so weird, I was just reminiscing about that only this week and watching clips of it on youtube. Transmute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'd like a reboot of the original Big Brother back when they had a variety of normal people and not 20 something glamour models and himbos.

I loved the first series. Everything after that was completely s**t. I met nasty Nick though work around that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Brass Eye. People even couldn't handle it back then. I'm sure a new version would make a few spines shatter or dissolve into a fragrant pink mucus of nothingness...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Acosta

cian68 wrote: »
    I just want a streaming service to get Dream Team.

Not sure if it's all there, but a load of it is in YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Not sure but would be great to see quantum leap with Sam beckett appearing after all this time. He leaps into some one after all these years, the programme has closed down as he hasn't appeared in the guts of nearly 30 years. They think he had died. Ré open the programme to try and rescue him. Could be class. Same characters in it I know Dean stockwell is really old but could have him in the 1st few episodes trying to explain the passage of time etc. to Sam beckett and what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

The best tv show there ever was, if you dont fall in love with helicopters after watching this I feel sorry for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Seaquest was brilliant.

I'd also like to see a reboot of Space: Above and Beyond or Sliders

loved Space Above and Beyond, from my recollection its main problem was it was so expensive to make. Not sure if 90's or a few years out but Firefly series (movie serenity) was also a favorite.

I'm in two minds about mentioning Bablyon 5... I loved it but it was a troubled production at times, cast member changes etc
    Would be curious to see what a new generation would do with the Vorlons, Shadows, Minbari, Centauri, Narn et al
    There's been a good few Star Trek series and they are very variable. DS9 took a lot from B5. I didn't like Voyager only 7 of 9 and the doctor had character development and how many shuttles did they go through ? Enterprise was better. I gave up on Discovery half way through series 2. It's even worse on Prime Directive when it suits the plot than Voyager. Haven't seen Pickard.

JMS owns the rights to films and Warner owns the TV ones.
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a855453/babylon-5-revival-wont-ever-happen-j-michael-straczynski/

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/987498062053425152

Might just dig out the big old box set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The tasmanian devil was good craic back in the day.

• Advertisement

Balmed Out wrote: »
    loved Space Above and Beyond, from my recollection its main problem was it was so expensive to make. Not sure if 90's or a few years out but Firefly series (movie serenity) was also a favorite.

Space Above and Beyond was carrier warfare in the Pacific in WWII re wrapped. Space Marines.

Firefly series 2 yeah that would be good. But a very hard cast to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

If done right yes but otherwise no. If Scott came back to do it and maybe pass the torch on that might be ok. He was perfect for that show. It's a pity he could not work his magic on Enterprise.
    Strumms wrote: »
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/knight_rider_2008

Did it in 2008 and it flopped big time. Hasslehoff wasn’t involved. The new car looked meh... the acting beyond hammy, storylines laughable... only lasted a few episodes.
    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Night rider.

Only if it was done right and with a cool car. That rebooted one from 2008 was terrible.
    I'm in two minds about mentioning Bablyon 5... I loved it but it was a troubled production at times, cast member changes etc
    Would be curious to see what a new generation would do with the Vorlons, Shadows, Minbari, Centauri, Narn et al

It would probably be worse.
    Battlestar Galactica got a fairly decent reboot , apparently it's getting another reboot next year

Yes that's true.
    Tony EH wrote: »
    Not too sure that I'd like to see any TV shows from the past resurrected tbh. When they do try, they usually make a balls of it. They've tried necromancy on 'The Twilight Zone' since the 80's and it's been awful each time, including the latest. 'Battlestar Galactica' wasn't as great as some people like to suggest either. There are numerous shows you could point to as examples of failed reboots.

But, in any case, if you actually look back at a lot (an awful lot) of TV shows of the past they just aren't as good as you remember them. 'Knightrider', 'Streethawk', 'Airwrolf', 'The A Team' (I can't think of any 90's TV shows ATM), they're all pretty terrible, and if made today they would last a single series.

I spose if there's one I had to choose, it would be 'Ulysses 31' (yeh, it's the 80's I know). But done completely straighfaced. That means no No-No or other annoying crap.

Yes that Ulysses 31 would be cool especially if it was live action. I watched that as a kid and loved it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Balmed Out wrote: »

Firefly was the first thing that popped in to my mind when I saw this thread 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I haven't read back on the thread but for me it has to be The Bill, great cop show based in the UK, hard b%$tards in that show but great drama

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Baywatch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Airwolf and knightrider were 1980s. You couldn’t get more 80s than those shows.

Another vote for Space: Above and Beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Seaquest was brilliant.

I'd also like to see a reboot of Space: Above and Beyond or Sliders

No SeaQuest DSV was done and done well the original stand up
    But Space above and beyond was finished prematurely That could have been amazing

What about Pensacola ? About a flight training school and the second season was about an elite special missions group?

Space above and beyond was based on the same book as starship troopers. Enjoyed the show a lot but it's aged terrible. A reboot without the pg rating would work.

And I can't believe I'm on page 5 and no one has suggested remaking V the mini series properly. Not that garbage they tried to throw at us but a proper remake with the oppressive feel and nazi uniforms of the original. Most disappointing tv experience of my life watching that turd of a remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Space above and beyond was based on the same book as starship troopers. Enjoyed the show a lot but it's aged terrible. A reboot without the pg rating would work.

And I can't believe I'm on page 5 and no one has suggested remaking V the mini series properly. Not that garbage they tried to throw at us but a proper remake with the oppressive feel and nazi uniforms of the original. Most disappointing tv experience of my life watching that turd of a remake.

Can the the OP rename this tread, because most of the suggestions are the 80s. V that’s 1983. Another one Ulysses 31 1981. Ffs lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 SuchABadBunny

Knightmare

Advertisement