Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended USB Audio Interface available in Ireland?

• 10-09-2020 1:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Got a bunch of recommendations on Reddit but they're all US brands.

Basically downloaded the (supposedly best) free DAW in "Reaper", and was trying to do some simple update bootlegs using an instrument input and the DAW effects plugins.

I initially tried a simple jack to USB cable but the latency made it unusable.

I also tried a different audio "driver"?
    Asio4all - but my sound card wouldn't support that and it came out sounding muffled.

So, I was basically told I need an audio interface if I intend to do instrument overlays on a DAW.

Nothing crazy, cheap and functional is good - simply want to eliminate the latency.

What do ya'll use?
    Purchased in store or online?
    And if in store - what store?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Got a bunch of recommendations on Reddit but they're all US brands.

Basically downloaded the (supposedly best) free DAW in "Reaper", and was trying to do some simple update bootlegs using an instrument input and the DAW effects plugins.

I initially tried a simple jack to USB cable but the latency made it unusable.

I also tried a different audio "driver"?
    Asio4all - but my sound card wouldn't support that and it came out sounding muffled.

So, I was basically told I need an audio interface if I intend to do instrument overlays on a DAW.

Nothing crazy, cheap and functional is good - simply want to eliminate the latency.

What do ya'll use?
    Purchased in store or online?
    And if in store - what store?

If Asio4all doesn't help I'd be reluctant to buy an interface just yet. Download Flstudio trial and how performance is first with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

^^ FL studio has "FL-Asio" as its audio driver - I tried Asio4All and it wasn't compatible.

Does that sound about right?

I'm getting less, but still noticeable latency - is there a way to reduce this further?

Sample rates too high aren't "supported by my driver" on "FL studio Asio", and Asio4All supports no sample rates, my buffer is set to lowest.

I'm also unable to tell if this is "monitor" latency or recording latency.

Pffffff

PS - I initially went with "Reaper" cause it was easier to use. Does it take exactly how long to familiarize oneself with FL?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hmm, asio4all works fine on Flstudio for me. What are your laptop specs?
    I find Flstudio pretty good to get to grips with and there's tons of tutorials on YouTube for the more in depth stuff. Everyone has different tastes of course and some prefer a workflow like Ableton.

Laptop has a Realtek high definition audio card and CPU is i5 high end processor - I never get CPU drag.

It takes some messing around with setting apparently cause, with the FL Asio buffer down to 256 and sample rate settings (192000 Hz) I did manage to get latency down to like, 3ms - which seems okay.

I'm not sure if any external audio interface will correct that more?
    Far better than anything I could get on Reaper, and FL studio plugins are waaay better.

It worked fine using the laptop microphone but when I ran input through the USB to audio jack the sound just came out sounding terribly muffled again; maybe I need to reduce the sample rate.

Other thing is, being the trial version, if one has a simple track update and wants to save it - is there a work around like just use the laptop recorder whilst playing it on FL studio or something recommended along those lines?
    Cause what I'm doing is so straight forward it doesn't require multiple sessions.

I feel compelled to give an update here;

I actually got it to work!

Reduced latency to an unnoticeable 3 ms on FL studio - didn't have to blow 150 dollards on an audio interface.

Then I learned how to import mp3 samples as tracks and record audio input as a separate track, routing each into separate mixer inputs and volume/depth adjusting for blending.

I'm keeping DAW learning to the bare minimum cause it feels like AutoCAD all over again (which I hated).

However, my idea was simple rework bootlegs.
    Just adding some notes here and there, "finishing touches" to modify or revitalize a track.

Basically what James Dymond did with Voodoo And Serano's "Blood is pumpin'",

0:54 - one simple 3 second overlay.

All he did was sample a "YEAH!!" with some delay at a few points, but it's completely overhauled the track.

I feel there's some tracks that have great chord progressions but openings for that "sweet spot".

• Advertisement
Advertisement