Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3T old mini digger - starter

• 20-08-2020 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi,

Iv an old 3t mini digger - dont know make. Was told before it has a Mitsubishi engine,

Anyway, was going well, until went to start it and the starter is just clicking (one click) when I turn the key. Wires seem okay, or as good as ever were.

when I go to start it with a wrench / spanner, the starter mostly just "whizzes" freely, but some times it turns the engine, but always only about 2-3 engine turns before it goes back to "whizzing" again. The engine never turns with the key no matter how many times I try.

Any ideas?

Could it be the ignition switch at all?

And does anyone know how the hell you go about taking the starter off - cant find bolts / nuts anywhere that I can access, only one - see pics attached. I took off the rad thinking I could get access that way but no go. No other bolts / nuts to be seen. and cant get from underneath as big steel plate in the way :mad::(.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 zfml

In almost all of these cases, its the leads or battery. Get the strongest jump leads you can and jump from a good battery directly to the starter.

Was at a starter with the same symptoms during the week, all leads looked perfect, battery fully charged. Barely turn over. Sometimes only click etc. etc. etc.
    After starter on and off, I noticed where the leads connect to the battery terminal clamp (with screws to tighten), the wire had corroded a small bit and wasn't making full contact. All leads should be soldered both ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Thanks zfml.

The battery and battery connections are all good.

But where the battery cables connect into the starter coil are poor. you see the permanent vice grips uses to attach one cable - and the bolt is wobbly where that vice grips is connected to

But I cant for the life of me see how to get the starter or starter coil off to repair this. Any ideas at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can see where the starter motor bolts are in this pic.
    You will probably be able to see them with a mirror from the back under the exhaust, if not you will need to take the metal plate off the front of the motor which may be easier than it looks.
    Make new cables to the starter and earth, vise-grips won't give enough current as the contact is small.
    Use large diameter wire and get a shop to install proper terminals on the end of the wires, when you make the new wires use washers when you install them and waterproof them with vaseline.
    Your Bendix might be dry and that may have stopped it throwing out to engage the ring gear.
    I would rebuild that motor once its out, its a simple job and will make it run way better.
    523830.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mad-for-tar

You can see one of the 2 bolts in the pic on this eBay ad, there should be 2 of them threaded in from the flange side of the starter motor.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401774735503
    Looks like a K3 Mitsubishi engine. Reason the bolt is loose on the solenoid is its missing one of the nuts that keep it tight on the solenoid, then the cable eye would go on with another washer and nut outside it.
    It’s probably disintegrated inside now as when the solenoid kicks back, it joins a piece of copper bar inside to the 2 large terminals to turn the motor part. The solenoid pulling back just engages the pinion to the ring gear.

Hope it helps.

Advertisement