Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

L’Oreal to remove the word “white” and “whitening from product labels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭beachhead

Is white flour or castor sugar still available.I am running low on baking ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭joeguevara

If you did though, would you stop using the word?

Yes I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Altering movies and literature to make them more in line with modern sensibilities. Other moves to restrict word usage, limiting freedom of expression. probably demands of censorship for certain public events.

Pretty much an extension of what PC culture began in the US.

Hmmm. Finding it hard to see any strong links between the two.

I think we should take each move as it comes?

“We’re going to have the Indian character voiced by an Indian guy”. Okay, that sounds reasonable.

“We’re removing the n-word from To Kill a Mockingbird.” Hmmm, well that seems like it’s going to strip the text of its context.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Hmmm. Finding it hard to see any strong links between the two.

connection? you asked a question. I answered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

beachhead wrote: »
    Is white flour or castor sugar still available.I am running low on baking ingredients.

Someone else asked about would black and decker be racist, another posed the question, would asking for black car be racist?

What is with people inventing nonsense hypothetical
    Scenarios. Invent something ridiculous and then argue against it..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Will someone be offended if you go in to a car showroom and ask for a black coloured car?

The white cars will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Gods Gift wrote: »
    The white cars will.

What about the White House? Will we just call it the House going forward?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

connection? you asked a question. I answered it.

You did. And I think your answer was pretty weak...

You did. And I think your answer was pretty weak...

Oddly enough, you're entitled to your opinion. :D

joe40 wrote: »
    Someone else asked about would black and decker be racist, another posed the question, would asking for black car be racist?

What is with people inventing nonsense hypothetical
    Scenarios. Invent something ridiculous and then argue against it..

We are at a stage where white people are not even allowed voice a black character in a cartoon without being guilted into leaving their job.

We are at a stage where the acceptability of word usage can change at a whim.

We are at a stage where it is considered "phobic" to state biological sex is real.

We are at a stage where the horrific death of a, by all accounts, terrible person in the United States of America is enough to spark pandemic-ignoring mass rallies across Ireland.

We are at a stage where being against illegal immigration is considered racist by vast swathes of the public.

We are at a stage where criticisms of any culture apart from Christian culture is considered bigotry and intolerant.

It's not too ridiculous to wonder if the word black will be considered inappropriate.

• Advertisement

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Fake tan makes white people brown.
    Why isn’t that banned.

As you well know 'whitening' cream is not being banned, it's being renamed.

Fake tan is not called 'blackening' cream. We all have the ability to tan despite our skin colour.

No you don't have to throw out your black and decker drill. Yes, you can still choose a black car. What ridiculous and completely offtopic nonsense.

It is inappropriate to use the name whitening because it implies to be whiter is better and it doesn't matter where that comes from. It's not ok to judge someone by the colour of their skin. It's not ok to look down on someone because they're darker, for any reason.

As pointed out some cultures judge others as lower class for having darker skin from working outdoor jobs. But the opposite of dark isn't white. It's light!! So in those cases the person wants to be lighter not white. So why the f*ck is a cream that lightens, not whitens, called whitening cream? Makes white seem the ideal.

I still think it's awful that those people are judged that way. I think it's awful that black African women (as well as women in other parts of the world) very often use skin 'whiteners' to try to conform to western beauty ideals.

But regardless of the intent behind the use, calling it whitening cream suggests being white is better. Concealer conceals with the suggesting that spots, undereye bags etc. should be hidden. Blush, gives you the illusion of blushing cheeks.
    Whitener suggests you should be whiter, but it really just lightens. So it makes sense on every level to rename it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Those skin lighteners are big in Japan.
    Lots of young Japanese, mostly girls are obsessed with looking more western (American, really).
    When McDonalds first started opening in Japan, they promoted themselves by telling people that eating McDs would make your skin whiter!

We are at a stage where white people are not even allowed voice a black character in a cartoon without being guilted into leaving their job.

We are at a stage where the acceptability of word usage can change at a whim.

We are at a stage where it is considered "phobic" to state biological sex is real.

We are at a stage where the horrific death of a, by all accounts, terrible person in the United States of America is enough to spark pandemic-ignoring mass rallies across Ireland.

We are at a stage where being against illegal immigration is considered racist by vast swathes of the public.

We are at a stage where criticisms of any culture apart from Christian culture is considered bigotry and intolerant.

It's not too ridiculous to wonder if the word black will be considered inappropriate.

Most of those things are simply not true or unimportant.

Whatever actor voices what character has no impact on my life.
    BLM protests should not have happened during pandemic but apart from that people are entitled to protest.

Plenty of people are publicly against illegal immigration, and plenty of people publicly criticise other cultures.
    I would have no time for fundamental Islamic practices, that doesn't make me a bigot.

There is a whole lot of made up victimhood.

How come I'm a 50 year old Irish male and I don't feel all this oppression in the modern PC world.

On the contrary I have far more freedom of expression than my Father did in terms of personal freedom.
    People are still largely able to express their opinions and people regularly do.

The snowflakes aren't the young people anymore. There is a new cohort of perpetually outraged.

As you well know 'whitening' cream is not being banned, it's being renamed.

Fake tan is not called 'blackening' cream. We all have the ability to tan despite our skin colour.

No you don't have to throw out your black and decker drill. Yes, you can still choose a black car. What ridiculous and completely offtopic nonsense.

It is inappropriate to use the name whitening because it implies to be whiter is better and it doesn't matter where that comes from. It's not ok to judge someone by the colour of their skin. It's not ok to look down on someone because they're darker, for any reason.

As pointed out some cultures judge others as lower class for having darker skin from working outdoor jobs. But the opposite of dark isn't white. It's light!! So in those cases the person wants to be lighter not white. So why the f*ck is a cream that lightens, not whitens, called whitening cream? Makes white seem the ideal.

I still think it's awful that those people are judged that way. I think it's awful that black African women (as well as women in other parts of the world) very often use skin 'whiteners' to try to conform to western beauty ideals.

But regardless of the intent behind the use, calling it whitening cream suggests being white is better. Concealer conceals with the suggesting that spots, undereye bags etc. should be hidden. Blush, gives you the illusion of blushing cheeks.
    Whitener suggests you should be whiter, but it really just lightens. So it makes sense on every level to rename it.

Absolute rubbish.

How does the name whitening cream suggest that white is better?

You also suggest that people are being forced to conform with beauty ideals? No they aren't. The choose to.

It's actually laughable that you mock and ridicule people for asking (in a tongue in cheek fashion) if black and decker will be acceptable word usage as if it is a ridiculous notion, then in the same breath state that the word whitening somehow implies some sort of racial superiority and is oppressive.

The lack of self awareness is astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

sdanseo wrote: »
    Another example of liberal extortionism.

I was just thinking today how "liberal" culture has progressed.
    Someone who had what was considered to be a fairly liberal viewpoint 10 years ago would today in some circles be viewed as a neo-fascist.

Count me as one of them. I've been described as alt-right because I haven't abandoned the liberal principles I grew up with, cultural libertarianism. It was a firmly left wing belief when it was the right who were trying to censor everything on "family values" grounds, so I guess it just means that a lot of the people who claimed to actually believe in freedom of speech back in the day were just doing it because their enemies were against it at the time, not just because they actually believed in it.

joe40 wrote: »
    Most of those things are simply not true or unimportant.

Whatever actor voices what character has no impact on my life.
    BLM protests should not have happened during pandemic but apart from that people are entitled to protest.

Plenty of people are publicly against illegal immigration, and plenty of people publicly criticise other cultures.
    I would have no time for fundamental Islamic practices, that doesn't make me a bigot.

There is a whole lot of made up victim good.

How come I'm a 50 year old Irish male and I don't feel all this oppression in the modern PC world.

On the contrary I have far more freedom of expression than my Father did in terms of personal freedom.
    People are still largely able to express their opinions and people regularly do.

The snowflakes aren't the young people anymore. There is a new cohort of perpetually outraged.

Whatever actor voices what character doesn't impact your life. It does impact theirs though.

You agree that BLM protests shouldn't have happened.

Plenty of people are against illegal immigration, yet it is Avery unpopular opinion to hold,especially on social media.

I accept that people are allowed to deride other cultures, yet it is absolutely true that being openly critical of the Catholic church is absolutely accepted and sometimes applauded, whereas even minor criticism of Judaism could be enough to get you labelled anti-Semitic, openly criticising islam could get you labelled islamaphobic (or worse)

Nothing I said was made up or me being outraged or a snowflake.

Absolute rubbish.

You also suggest that people are being forced to conform with beauty ideals? No they aren't. The choose to.

It's actually laughable that you mock and ridicule people for asking (in a tongue in cheek fashion) if black and decker will be acceptable word usage as if it is a ridiculous notion, then in the same breath state that the word whitening somehow implies some sort of racial superiority and is oppressive.

Your confidence in expressing your views is impressive considering how little you seem to know about the history of light skin people being treated better than darker skinned people by colonial powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

@builebeag

Your lack of understanding of these matters is astounding. Can I ask what age you are and have you been to third level? What courses did you take?

Genuinely interested to find out where things are going so wrong for people like yourself.

You seem to have an innate inability to think critically, like all of those other Antifa/ BLM people. Where does that come from I wonder? In the US, it appears to be from ideologies picked up at communist directed universities.

People of my generation and before didn't need third level for a well-rounded basic education and critical thinking abilities.

Your confidence in expressing your views is impressive considering how little you seem to know about the history of light skin people being treated better than darker skinned people by colonial powers.

What has that got to do with anything I said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

What has that got to do with anything I said?

I don't think there's much point in engaging with these people. As soon as they're called out on inconsistencies, they move the goalposts to suit their narrative.

• Advertisement

Whatever actor voices what character doesn't impact your life. It does impact theirs though.

You agree that BLM protests shouldn't have happened.

Plenty of people are against illegal immigration, yet it is Avery unpopular opinion to hold,especially on social media.

I accept that people are allowed to deride other cultures, yet it is absolutely true that being openly critical of the Catholic church is absolutely accepted and sometimes applauded, whereas even minor criticism of Judaism could be enough to get you labelled anti-Semitic, openly criticising islam could get you labelled islamaphobic (or worse)

Nothing I said was made up or me being outraged or a snowflake.

Criticism of the actions of the hierarchy in covering up child abuse, moving paedophiles to new parishes when knowing they were predators, facilitating the trafficking of children, etc etc is the only criticism of Catholic Church that is prevalent. I have never seen anyone challenge Judaism being labelled an anti Semite. That is usually reserved for deniers of the holocaust. Incorrectly attributing the actions of terrorists to the teachings of Islam, without any basis is by its nature Islamophobia. Blame the people who misinterpret the writings in the Koran rather than the benign verses themselves.

Absolute rubbish.

Explained in my post.
    You also suggest that people are being forced to conform with

No I didn't.
    It's actually laughable that you mock and ridicule people for asking (in a tongue in cheek fashion) if black and decker will be acceptable word usage as if it is a ridiculous notion

I didn't mock them, I said their questions were ridiculous and off topic.

then in the same breath state that the word whitening somehow implies some sort of racial superiority and is oppressive.

You'll have to quote that statement for me!

It sure is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

So if an actor can't act as someone else, does that mean Nancy cartwright can't be voicing a ten(?) year old boy?
    And homer should be voiced by a fat, bald guy?
    And Marge should be voiced by a woman with extremely tall blue hair?

Biker79 wrote: »
    @builebeag

Your lack of understanding of these matters is astounding. Can I ask what age you are and have you been to third level? What courses did you take?

Genuinely interested to find out where things are going so wrong for people like yourself.

You seem to have an innate inability to think critically, like all of those other Antifa/ BLM people. Where does that come from I wonder? In the US, it appears to be from ideologies picked up at communist directed universities.

People of my generation and before didn't need third level for a well-rounded basic education and critical thinking abilities.

How about you tell me your age, your level of education, your qualification to speak on the matter?

joeguevara wrote: »
    Criticism of the actions of the hierarchy in covering up child abuse, moving paedophiles to new parishes when knowing they were predators, facilitating the trafficking of children, etc etc is the only criticism of Catholic Church that is prevalent. I have never seen anyone challenge Judaism being labelled an anti Semite. That is usually reserved for deniers of the holocaust. Incorrectly attributing the actions of terrorists to the teachings of Islam, without any basis is by its nature Islamophobia. Blame the people who misinterpret the writings in the Koran rather than the benign verses themselves.

During the gay marriage referendum the Catholic church's stance on homosexuality was lambasted. Mostly, these very same people are remarkably quiet in comparison about the traditional and much harsher Islamic view on homosexuality.

I'd also say the basis for people attributing the actions of Muslim terrorists to their religion is because the have a habit of screaming the name of their god while killing people. You can see why people may link them

Biker79 wrote: »
    @builebeag

When you talk about communist directed universities in the US I would seriously doubt your "critical thinking abilities"

Ficheall wrote: »
    So if an actor can't act as someone else, does that mean Nancy cartwright can't be voicing a ten(?) year old boy?

Only vampires can play vampires.

Only FBI agents can play FBI agents.

Only murderers can play murderers

Ficheall wrote: »

The simpsons thing is being misinterpreted and misquoted. The character of Apu was retired because it is based on a racial stereotype. It was described by an Indian comedian as ‘a white man doing an impression of a white man doing a bad impression of his father’. To compare that to a woman voicing a child is clutching at straws. I know there are inconsistencies in that there seems to be no issue with Irish character being portrayed as drunk wife beaters, but i suppose we are more relaxed about stereotypes.

If South American characters are only portrayed as drug dealers or black men as absent fathers then there is an issue.

Explained in my post.

No I didn't.

I didn't mock them, I said their questions were ridiculous and off topic.

You'll have to quote that statement for me!

It sure is.
    You didn't mock but you stated the questions they were asking was ridiculous? Well that's contradictory.

You also say you explained how whitening cream is suggesting white skin is better in your post....

Then you ask me to quote you to show that you suggested whitening is oppressive or shows superiority?

If you keep speaking in contradictory circles, your point will get lost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Only vampires can play vampires.

Only FBI agents can play FBI agents.

Only murderers can play murderers

Only ordained priests can act as priests in Father Ted.

Only convicted criminals can act as criminals in TV dramas.

And you can forget about men being dressed as Cinderella's Ugly Sisters in this year's pantomimes!

Happy days. :confused:

Advertisement