Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stolen Tesla Model S (found post 168 )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Absolute sickener OP.

Beautiful looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

little update, the guards reckon they pulled the sim card straight out and also used a gps blocker, hence why tesla cant see it and neither can i.

cars well gone at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,250 ✭✭✭✭ted1

copeyhagen wrote: »
    little update, the guards reckon they pulled the sim card straight out and also used a gps blocker, hence why tesla cant see it and neither can i.

Do they connect to free WiFi spots? Might be added security if they do. Imagine the car parked outside a shop/ cafe and connecting to send it’s gps and internal camera shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭mouthful

Thank you for sharing all that information- I hope the insurance steps up and you are able to source another-

Question is this, if OP gets another Model S, could these thieves try this again at the same address do you think ?

What could be done to prevent this happening again ? proper steering lock ? secure the premises with wall and gate ?

Invest in shotgun and learn how to use it ? although in Ireland you have no right to defend the outside of your house isn't that correct ? so anyone can do anything outside and you got no right to defend it, great country.

You would have to secure the shotgun in the house of course, if someone did come inside then it's a different story. You now have the right to use lethal force, where as not long ago you didn't really have that right and could be sued if you hurt an intruder, is that still the case where and intruder gets injured by you trying to defend your family or he injures himself with glass breaking a window for instance, they could sue the homeowner in the past but did they not change this law not long ago ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

ted1 wrote: »
    Do they connect to free WiFi spots? Might be added security if they do. Imagine the car parked outside a shop/ cafe and connecting to send it’s gps and internal camera shots.

Not without a SIM card.

If it's your own car you can manually connect to free Wi-Fi, just like you would to your home Wi-Fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭corminators

Question is this, if OP gets another Model S, could these thieves try this again at the same address do you think ?

What could be done to prevent this happening again ? proper steering lock ? secure the premises with wall and gate ?

Pin to drive as already mentioned in the thread?
    Faraday cage box or bag for keys as already mentioned in the thread?

Pin to drive as already mentioned in the thread?
    Faraday cage box or bag for keys as already mentioned in the thread?

Someone said the pin to drive might be disabled by disconnecting the 12V Battery ?

Cage and box for keys is not going to do anything if the thieves want the car no matter what. All they then have to do is smash a window and they're in and what do you do if giving them the key is not enough and they want to do harm ?

Wouldn't it be easy to fit a separate GPS tracking device that the thieves wouldn't be aware of ?

Imagine the look on their faces when the cops pull them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wouldn't it be easy to fit a separate GPS tracking device that the thieves wouldn't be aware of ?

Imagine the look on their faces when the cops pull them over.

Most thieves going down the route of capturing the key signal and using the ODB port to rob the car will be carrying GSM signal blockers.

• Advertisement

Most thieves going down the route of capturing the key signal and using the ODB port to rob the car will be carrying GSM signal blockers.

Yeah never though about GPS needing GSM.

Then perhaps an explosive device than can be activated by driving the car over sensor in the driveway, of course you'd want to make sure it was deactivated before you get in :D

It would be good if there was something like that though, something that could deactivate the car if it driven over a sensor or passed by a sensor in the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i bought a twin pack of the rfid blocker wallets from amazon yesterday, think it was a tenner delivered.

pin to drive can possibly be disabled, the rfid with the pin to drive would hopefully be enough to deter them.

shes talking aout getting garden walls and everything now!

as said, at the end of the day, it was only a car, it was my dream car that took me ages to find, ages to wait for, family trip over to pick it up and these scrotes take it, but thats what insurance is for :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 irishevo8

Why dont you just go old school and put a disklok on the steering wheel and a ram bar behind the car , , it takes time to remove these and would be quite noisy, a extra deterrent if nothing else

i bought a twin pack of the rfid blocker wallets from amazon yesterday, think it was a tenner delivered.

pin to drive can possibly be disabled, the rfid with the pin to drive would hopefully be enough to deter them.

shes talking aout getting garden walls and everything now!

as said, at the end of the day, it was only a car, it was my dream car that took me ages to find, ages to wait for, family trip over to pick it up and these scrotes take it, but thats what insurance is for :(

Yep I feel for you mate but at the end of the day a car is just a thing that can be replaced, you can't replace your family.

On a positive note, you can plan your next trip with your family you are blessed to have all safe and well.

Best of luck with the car hunting, a new thread topic for that ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

irishevo8 wrote: »
    Why dont you just go old school and put a disklok on the steering wheel and a ram bar behind the car , , it takes time to remove these and would be quite noisy, a extra deterrent if nothing else

I dunno, there comes a point with security that it's so intrusive that it can ruin your enjoyment of the thing.

Lumen wrote: »
    I dunno, there comes a point with security that it's so intrusive that it can ruin your enjoyment of the thing.

I agree but for the sake of maybe €300 at least your toy will be still outside the house in the morning , If i had just spent 50k + on a car i would take every security option available to protect my pride and joy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

now its **** to hear such news and imagine frustration, but i thought that loophole where rfid to lock unlock car changes every time, as its been discovered almost over decade ago, so technically if someone grabs a code it should be useless, only thing that comes to mind, that its possible to grab one before its registered, meaning owner locks twice thinking they didnt press button, that way system dont register the spare code.

quite interesting and shows most likely tried and tested thieves, as id imagine by now its loaded to Africa or some other place on the globe, since otherwise would be matter of time before someone got it and eventually tesla would pick it up.

thou dont agree on streeting lock, if one splashes over 50k, and you still need to treat it like a bike, which lets be honest would be pain in the butt.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We’re picking up a Model 3 in 3 weeks and I’ve come to the conclusion that Pin to Drive will be activated before we even leave the showroom, and we won’t be using ‘auto unlock’ for our phones either. We’ll make do with the 2 card keys they supply.

Is there a way I wonder to geo disable auto unlock when at home? As I’d like to be able to use the feature when out and about, but just not have it active when the car is in the driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

irishevo8 wrote: »
    I agree but for the sake of maybe €300 at least your toy will be still outside the house in the morning , If i had just spent 50k + on a car i would take every security option available to protect my pride and joy

And then you get up every morning... Go out and remove the bollard and chain etc... Some evening you get home and can't be arsed standing in the rain locking a bollard... So you don't bother etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hwr5ytu356

We’re picking up a Model 3 in 3 weeks and I’ve come to the conclusion that Pin to Drive will be activated before we even leave the showroom, and we won’t be using ‘auto unlock’ for our phones either. We’ll make do with the 2 card keys they supply.

Is there a way I wonder to geo disable auto unlock when at home? As I’d like to be able to use the feature when out and about, but just not have it active when the car is in the driveway.

A very good idea. Passive entry is a great feature. It would be a shame to have to give it up completely.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm going stick on pin to drive and leave it at that.

Basic two-factor authentication.

Maybe Tesla should put an RFID reader inside the car, integrated with the wireless charging pad that isn't there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

the entire purpose of geo fencing that it works within certain radius designated, not outside it. id imagine theres security measures that could double the protection. As thinking from technical perspective something that would allow remote start but only engage into drive when immobilizer is actually within feet or so would prevent anyone gaining access just by remote sniffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

Sorry to hear about the car theft.
    Was just thinking op said the thieves got in and out in no time.. Its 2020 and cars with all this tech are been stolen in the same speed as a 90's Honda if not quicker. You would imagine in this day and age these cars would be impossible to steal. Op hope you get sorted with insurance and are happy with your replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭markpb

Sorry to hear about the car theft.
    Was just thinking op said the thieves got in and out in no time.. Its 2020 and cars with all this tech are been stolen in the same speed as a 90's Honda if not quicker. You would imagine in this day and age these cars would be impossible to steal. Op hope you get sorted with insurance and are happy with your replacement.

Security did get better but convenience diminishes security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Sound plan there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Invest in shotgun and learn how to use it ? although in Ireland you have no right to defend the outside of your house isn't that correct ? so anyone can do anything outside and you got no right to defend it, great country.

Not allowed to use a firearm to deter, injure or kill someone. They are only to be used for target practice, hunting, or whatever else is declared when applying for license for one.

That said; I can't say how I might react if an intruder was in my home and the shotgun was available.

@ the OP. Sorry about your news. I had my pride and joy stolen years back and it never really leaves your mind. I forgot to lock the car last week and the next morning, I discovered someone had been in there. There was a bit of mess with papers and random items left on the driver seat. The coins we use for trolleys were gone and my phone charger was gone. Could have been a lot worse and it was a friendly reminder to make sure everything is locked in future. It's rare I forget to lock the car at night.

Stay Free

mloc123 wrote: »
    And then you get up every morning... Go out and remove the bollard and chain etc... Some evening you get home and can't be arsed standing in the rain locking a bollard... So you don't bother etc..

it takes 30sec's to secure your 50k car , if i had a 50k car i would do everything to secure it , i would even stick a clamp on it at night LOL

Not allowed to use a firearm to deter, injure or kill someone. They are only to be used for target practice, hunting, or whatever else is declared when applying for license for one.

That said; I can't say how I might react if an intruder was in my home and the shotgun was available.

Not allowed to defend yourself with a shotgun my arse.

What law can tell me I can’t use any means necessary to defend myself or my family ? Especially in the family home.

Hang on bad guys, wait until I call the guards . It will take them 30 mins to get here in the meantime u can do what ur want to us, actually, I’m allowed to use the rolling pin hang on a sec.

Not allowed to defend yourself with a shotgun my arse.

What law can tell me I can’t use any means necessary to defend myself or my family ? Especially in the family home.

Hang on bad guys, wait until I call the guards . It will take them 30 mins to get here in the meantime u can do what ur want to us, actually, I’m allowed to use the rolling pin hang on a sec.

As I understand it, the law is pretty much common sense. You're allowed to use reasonable force to protect people and property, but not to punish or enact vengeance. If you use deadly force or cause life changing injuries then you're going to have some explaining to do, which is entirely reasonable.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    As I understand it, the law is pretty much common sense. You're allowed to use reasonable force to protect people and property, but not to punish or enact vengeance. If you use deadly force or cause life changing injuries then you're going to have some explaining to do, which is entirely reasonable.

It’s not reasonable at all if someone breaks into my home with the intention to cause harm.

A person should be able to defend themselves even by causing death if that’s what the situation demands after all of the intruder doesn’t want to be harmed then he shouldn’t be there in the first place.

Not that I would intentionally hurt anyone out of pleasure but it should be a persons right to cause harm for the reason of protecting himself or his family.

Advertisement