Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

humberklog wrote: »
    I didn't listen to the end to hear the credits but I'm guessing a lot of the previous backroom staff are still in the picture going the guests on today.

Let BO'C on with the gig (I've been saying it for some time now) but the producers and researchers need to be shuffled out of the deck sooner rather than later to give that slot a new tone to go with the new presenter.

At the moment it's all too much of the same old shtick and I think it needs to change lanes quickly otherwise the ghost of Marian's legacy will linger on air.

It's a bit of a Trigger's broom situation where a new broom is required.

Good call there Humber, seems to be a bit of a ‘ nest ‘ of ‘luvvies’ running the show for ages, good opportunity to sweep the place clean as you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

hankless wrote: »
    Either way, they have to pause for the Angelus at noon so...:rolleyes:
    Not on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭isohon

Personally felt this was a very poor weekend for BO'C.

Saturday interviews you could sense his annoyance at guests not following the pre-determined narrative he and team had decided on.

Sunday show was appalling. O'Connor forcibly, and rudely interjecting on a regular basis to defend the GOV. Worst example in my opinion when he basically misrepresented a guests comments/criticism re LV's latter-day conversion to green issues as being populism and aggressively and emotionally said he wasn't going to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

isohon wrote: »
    Personally felt this was a very poor weekend for BO'C.

Saturday interviews you could sense his annoyance at guests not following the pre-determined narrative he and team had decided on.

Sunday show was appalling. O'Connor forcibly, and rudely interjecting on a regular basis to defend the GOV. Worst example in my opinion when he basically misrepresented a guests comments/criticism re LV's latter-day conversion to green issues as being populism and aggressively and emotionally said he wasn't going to discuss it.

Hmm.... others might say he was doing his job and presenting an alternative view to the guests opinions, given there was no one from the Govt there to do so.

That is a presenters role after all, doesn’t put the presenter into any particular ‘box’ as you seem to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Hmm.... others might say he was doing his job and presenting an alternative view to the guests opinions, given there was no one from the Govt there to do so.

That is a presenters role after all, doesn’t put the presenter into any particular ‘box’ as you seem to suggest.

the show isn't a formal radio debate, he's asking various guests their opinions on current affairs , which they have a right to give without having to be interrupted every time they express an opinion at variance as to what her perceives the government's line on a certain issue is so he can inform us of the government's opinion , the government's view on matters is known by a lot of people and they have other means to propagate their opinions .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Long_Wave

It really does go to show how devoid of original ideas RTE are that they had to borrow the name of an existing radio show which had been on the schedule for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Roz Purcell Hawking a vegan book. I thought this was a current affairs programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Time to turn the dial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I hope this is not what the new show is going to be. Basically The Ray D'Arcy TV Show on the radio, with RTE pals given free promotion for their sh1te.

Trump bashing

Another box ticked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

A mealy-mouthed defence of the weekly rotation of the RTÉ canteen and mates of the shows presenters, complete with reading out the party line and then straight into another shilling session by another stale talking head.
    *click*

What really p***es me off is any criticism of this tired, lazy, fetid format is seen as trolling, no listening to the audiences of either format, no attempt to shake things up, just brand anyone who complains a troll and stick their fingers in their ears. :mad::mad:

Cancer now

Tick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

RTE's mindless cheerleading of the Democrats is just tiresome and lazy at this stage.. Oh look over there Trump bad bad man

I’m sure that Ros is a perfectly ok person, but to give half an hour over - on what I thought was a current affairs programme - to someone/anyone promoting their book really is pretty poor broadcasting. And no, I still have no idea what an “Influencer” is or does.

Very poor show today. Nothing for the male listener today.

Very poor show today. Nothing for the male listener today.

The amount of stuff going on in the country this week and we get

A 35 minute ad for a vegan book
    "The gender war"
    Johanna Donnelly learning to play the piano

Something needy about the weather person ... what’s with these weather people / A A road watch readers etc etc trying to be celebrities ?always going to be Z listers .. sad .

Did anyone catch what the sight reading app Joanna Donnelly used was?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Flowkey app she said she uses. :)

To be honest, if you want to learn piano, though, you need a teacher. An app is not really a substitute.

Apps are great for sight reading practice though, but only if you're getting lessons too!

Posy wrote: »
    Flowkey app she said she uses. :)

To be honest, if you want to learn piano, though, you need a teacher. An app is not really a substitute.

Apps are great for sight reading practice though, but only if you're getting lessons too!
    Hi thanks for the reply, but it was the other app she mentioned that she used to learn to sight read music, not flowkey, that I didn't catch. She said it was free but couldn't work out the name.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

sligojoek wrote: »
    Roz Purcell Hawking a vegan book. I thought this was a current affairs programme.

The lack of instagramming has me out of touch.

She was worth the google though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Brendan o Connor has turned into an awful sell out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think BOC is angling for a cushy job now until retirement.

He used to be a little left field or controversial....lost that completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

sligojoek wrote: »
    The amount of stuff going on in the country this week and we get

A 35 minute ad for a vegan book
    "The gender war"
    Johanna Donnelly learning to play the piano
    Couldnt agree more. BOC has gone to the dogs , in the last while . Since Hookie was hounded off the Cutting Edge, he seems to be running scared, maybe hes afraid he will be next ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Playing it safe now, any guest that doesn't play along with the RTE agenda is shut down straight away.
    The likes of Cormac O hEadhra would be better suited to that program now, he's the type of presenter that cuts out a lot of waffle and ask the questions listeners want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

washiskin wrote: »
    A mealy-mouthed defence of the weekly rotation of the RTÉ canteen and mates of the shows presenters, complete with reading out the party line and then straight into another shilling session by another stale talking head.
    *click*

What really p***es me off is any criticism of this tired, lazy, fetid format is seen as trolling, no listening to the audiences of either format, no attempt to shake things up, just brand anyone who complains a troll and stick their fingers in their ears. :mad::mad:
    It wont matter in a few years. Now that cars are all starting to have an online outlet, people are going to start moving away from broadcast radio, either to Podasts, or to streaming services or online radio stations.You only have to look at public transport, where everyone seems to be on their headphones. No need for balance or RTEs 'In Fairness' Bull****.
    When that tipping point is reached, then thats the end for RTE and their ilk

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Hi thanks for the reply, but it was the other app she mentioned that she used to learn to sight read music, not flowkey, that I didn't catch. She said it was free but couldn't work out the name.:confused:
    Think she mentioned the tenuto app for sightreading too? :/

There's lots of sightreading apps, so if you're looking for one you'll be spoiled for choice!

No interview with Mcgregor this morning? Was there any coverage of the fight at all?

could have been the first plumber from Crumlin ever to appear on the show.

No interview with Mcgregor this morning? Was there any coverage of the fight at all?

could have been the first plumber from Crumlin ever to appear on the show.

Don't think going on an RTE talking shop at 3am from Las Vegas after winning a fight is high on Mc Gregor's list of priorities right now .

• Advertisement

David Mc williams -- "Make drugs legal "... they need to stop inviting this uninformed attention seeker on the show.

Advertisement