Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J. K. Rowling is cancelled because she is a T.E.R.F [ADMIN WARNING IN POST #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Oh she’s so cancelled now......which means she won’t be able to........somebody help me out here... cos as far as I recall she’s made a multi million fortune from a seven book franchise about a boy wizard and subsequently turned into highly successful movies which spawned a second franchise of fantastic beasts which has made at least two films and with probably more on the way I don’t think we’ll see her at a food bank any time soon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Expecto erecto?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

If one is going to claim people are misrepresenting facts, it’s incumbent upon the person making the accusation to ensure they aren’t also misrepresenting facts.

But force women out of their jobs for stating that sex is real?

Didn’t happen.

If one is going to claim people are misrepresenting facts, it’s incumbent upon the person making the accusation to ensure they aren’t also misrepresenting facts.

But force women out of their jobs for stating that sex is real?

Didn’t happen.

Out of curiosity, if an individual claims that a biological man cannot ever become a biological woman, do you personally believe they should be removed from their position?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I wish Irish people would f*ck off using hysterical Yankee lingo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

"cancelled"

Except in cases of serious crime that would have been prosecuted anyway, this cancellation stuff is nothing.

It has all the impact of an odourless fart.

The crying screams of social media amount to zero.

It's bemusing to witness, slowly and surely, people realise that it's all the emperors new clothes. These whingers have no power over anyone unless you allow them the space. The slightest resistance and they evaporate as if they never existed.

Its all a cod :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I wish Irish people would f*ck off using hysterical Yankee lingo.

It really grinds your gears huh buddy?

Out of curiosity, if an individual claims that a biological man cannot ever become a biological woman, do you personally believe they should be removed from their position?

I personally couldn’t give a ****e. However if I was their employer and they were an employee, and they were making statements in public that do not reflect the values of their employer, then I would support their employers right to discipline them up to and including dismissal. Nearly all employment contracts nowadays include what are commonly referred to as a code of conduct, and breaches of that code of conduct often include consequences such as dismissal. It happened in the recent case of four high profile rugby players who were employed by the IRFU, the IRFU simply turned around and said FU, not a reflection of our values, contracts terminated.

You’re acting like this is somehow unusual or new, it’s really not.

It's not new, it really isn't.

But in this case - this particular case - is the claim true?

Can we legitimately make the argument that a biological man cannot become a biological woman, free from threat and abuse, free from the risk of losing one's position in society? Is that possible!?

If not, I think society is heading down a very dark and dangerous and perilous path.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Sparkey84

I personally couldn’t give a ****e. However if I was their employer and they were an employee, and they were making statements in public that do not reflect the values of their employer, then I would support their employers right to discipline them up to and including dismissal. Nearly all employment contracts nowadays include what are commonly referred to as a code of conduct, and breaches of that code of conduct often include consequences such as dismissal. It happened in the recent case of four high profile rugby players who were employed by the IRFU, the IRFU simply turned around and said FU, not a reflection of our values, contracts terminated.

good point linking it to the irfu example. reflecting values is the crux of the case. i would be very unclear where to draw the line between values and fact though. do you think her expressed opinion about what she considers a fact can show her true values?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭paulbok

buried wrote: »
    T.U.R.F.

T.U.R.F. make good fire and feet warm

You can't use that word now either.
    Going to be banned soon

It's not new, it really isn't.

But in this case - this particular case - is the claim true?

Can we legitimately make the argument that a biological man cannot become a biological woman, free from threat and abuse, free from the risk of losing one's position in society? Is that possible!?

If not, I think society is heading down a very dark and dangerous and perilous path.

The claim is true, but the facts are that her employer was within their rights to terminate her contract because -

The specific belief that the Claimant holds as determined in the reasons, is not a philosophical belief protected by the Equality Act 2010

You can read the judgement in the case here -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12P9zf82TicPs2cCxlTnm0TrNFDD8Gaz5/view

As a Professor of Philosophy herself, I’m not sure she appreciates the irony of determining the validity of truth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭gw80

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever been just postponed before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Glad she's cancelled her books are ****e.

She's a billionaire because she wrote the best book series ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Greyfox wrote: »
    She's a billionaire because she wrote the best book series ever.

Yeah dont know how anyone can say her books are ****e. Even if you're not into them personally, the fact that she's a billionaire because of them clearly says otherwise.

Ireland won the Quidditch World Cup so I'll give her books a pass, but she's at best a Blairite/glorified Tory.

And Harry Potter is certainly not the best series of books ever.

John 11:35.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yeah dont know how anyone can say her books are ****e. Even if you're not into them personally, the fact that she's a billionaire because of them clearly says otherwise.

Quality and popularity are not related.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Its funny how the social troglodytes of the online world still seem to think they have the power to "cancel" and influence anything when they keep ****ing it up and driving more people to whatever side they oppose.

Sparkey84 wrote: »
    good point linking it to the irfu example. reflecting values is the crux of the case. i would be very unclear where to draw the line between values and fact though. do you think her expressed opinion about what she considers a fact can show her true values?

I think so, yes, but she wasn’t fired because she expressed her true values, her contract with her employer was not renewed because the values she expressed were inconsistent with the values of her employer.

If she is on the one hand claiming that she was fired for stating a fact, then the least that could be expected of her is to state the actual facts that led to her contract not being renewed by her employer, and not just her version of what she wants people to believe, while at the same time criticising other people for what they want people to believe.

Just as there are consequences for other people as a result of what she would want people to believe about them, there are consequences for her actions too, up to and including her employers right not to renew her contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Who cares?

Very wealthy woman provokes the outrage of people who genuinely care about twitter.

What a waste of time to be outraged about.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,946 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I dont understand so much of the opening post.

It's like it's written in a different language

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭CroatoanCat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

As a committed member of the LGBT community, I find what is happening re: gender/sex to be nothing short of appalling.

You cannot change biological sex. There is no standard for "feeling like a woman". I am a man, and I have no idea what "feeling like a man" is, so how can biologically-born women "feel" this?

Second, you cannot be born into stereotypes. Long hair, make-up, attraction to pink etc., are all social constructions. You cannot be born into a social construction.

Third, biological sex is XX and XY. There are some aberrations, such as Kleinfelters, XXY etc., but these are aberrations. The claim here is that biological men or women can switch chromosomal sex. It is not possible.

Fourth, this is the only trans- category that is taken seriously by society. For example - there are some people who are able-bodied, but believe they were "born disabled". There are some in society now arguing that we should have the State pay for these people to become disabled to meet their "mental image". This is the equivalent of saying to an anorexic person, "you are fine the way you are, it has nothing to do with mental dysphoria".

There are many trans- men/women who are equally as appalled by what is going on, especially regarding the gender identity question.

I, as a member of the LGBT community, get completely sidelined. When people speak to me privately about this issue, they agree with me. But they dare not say it in public.

An extremist identity politics minority have taken over. They are vocal and dangerous and are destroying societal norms as we know them to be.
    I'm not LGBT but have many friends who are and I support LGBT rights but it's all become very strange the last few years. First off it's not LGBT anymore. It's a whole host of letters that I can't keep track of and just doesn't make sense. There's more sexualities than I can keep track of and it seems that people are just making stuff up so they can fall under the umbrella term of "LGBT" to feel special and get attention for themselves which just undermines what LGBT originally stood for.

I have no problem with trans people. Just like I have no problem with gay people. I don't understand why some people are born sexually attracted to the same sex but they're not hurting anyone so who cares if they fall in love with someone of the same gender. Same with trans. I don't understand why someone feels like they are in the wrong physical body but if transitioning makes them happier, all power to them.

What I do have a problem with is people who are not trans, posing as trans and putting others in a compromising position. I read on the internet (and at first thought it was a sick joke) about "trans" women, who don't actually want to transition, harassing gay women for sex. Men with a penis, who "self identify" as women but don't want to transition, feel like lesbians should have sex with them because they are women and if the lesbians don't want to because they have a penis, they are transphobic.

There was something in the media recently enough about a dating show on the BBC (I think?) where they set up a lesbian woman with a trans woman and while they got on, ultimately the lesbian didn't want to continue dating the trans and she got a sh!t storm on social media. It was a totally unfair situation to put her in and was obviously done for views. It would be like if I self identified as a man and started harassing gay men for sex and tried to label them as transphobic for not wanting to have sex with my vagina. I would be told to cop on and stop acting the muppet.

Piers Morgan had a trans woman and a gay guy on one morning and the trans woman was trying to explain to the gay guy that he was so woke with his 150 genders that he was actually hurting trans rights but he wouldn't listen. The gay guy thought he was more of an expert on trans rights, than an actual trans person who has to live a trans experience every day.

People are so busy trying to be woke that it's devaluing what it meant to be LGBT. I could identify as Pansexual and hey, presto I'm LGBT and can sprout any manner of shyte I want and anyone who disagrees with me is homophobic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

People are a bit hung up on the use of the word "cancel" being a hysterical Americanisation.
    It is not a word I would use. It is hard to keep up with the evolution of language - himself only told me yesterday netflix and chill means come over for sex, I thought it meant to lazily watch movies :D.
    But leaving aside cancel as a word, what is meant is that Rowling has been subject to a litany of vile public abuse from a baying mob in what is effectively the modern public square. Other people saying what she said have been getting death and rape threats for ages. The mob gloated viciously over Magdalen Berns death from brain cancer. There have been people visited by police for expressing opinions critical of gender theory.
    It may yet be designated as hate speech and made an actionable offense. I would never publicly express my opinions on extreme trans activism without anonymity, Im sure there are many who feel the same way - ordinary people are in effect silenced from expressing opposition to extremist anti-reason ascientific ideology by threatening mobs. It is kind of weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Sparkey84 wrote: »

If the employer believed the earth was flat would you still be on the employers side

• Registered Users Posts: 40,736 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I raised this kind of question in the LGBT forum, but even as a member of that community, that thread was closed because it was deemed in breach.

Don't lie.

The thread wasnt closed because it was in breach.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

ceadaoin. wrote: »

And then there's the Kardashians.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

It's about time that JK Rowling wrote something worth reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

GRACKEA wrote: »
    She's been hashtag cancelled a couple of times now and remains wildly rich and successful so I'm sure she'll be grand this time too like

What’s hashtag cancelled? Has her twitter account been cancelled or what?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement