Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop Gigs 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

zoobizoo wrote: »
    What are Wu Tang like live?

Subject to line up change but good

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

Might be bit of a long shot but does anyone know of 2 Jay rock tickets available ?

black sheep 26th april , the sugar club

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

April 15th - Lil Yachty - Vicar St.

Not my cup of tea but some of ya'llz might be into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Lowkey has a gig in Belfast in May as part that arts festival on this year (forget the date) and a new Album out next month.

Should be a good gig.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Game's European tour has been cancelled.

Action Bronson - The Academy - July 23rd.

Tickets are 42.50......forty two euro and fifty cent. Holy f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Action Bronson - The Academy - July 23rd.

Tickets are 42.50......forty two euro and fifty cent. Holy f*ck.

Steep, but Bronson always entertains. I'm on a stag that week, don't think I'll get to this

Bronson is great live, it'll be interesting to see who he is touring with. Last time it was Alchemist and Mayhem Lauren I think....Big Body couldn't get into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Hip hop dying a death in Ireland - not that many decent gigs coming up.

• Advertisement

Jay Electronica - Sugar Club - 12th Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

Jay Electronica - Sugar Club - 12th Sept

ANOTHER gig I probably can't make. All the good gigs come up when I'm skint or have something coming up.

I would really like to see Jay Elec

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Hoboo

zoobizoo wrote: »
    What are Wu Tang like live?

Unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

Jay Elec tickets on sale already

Was at Gods Of Rap last night.

A bit underwhelming. For starters, the sound in the 3 Arena was atrocious. I was standing by the engineers desk (this is generally where you will have the best sound at a gig) but the engineers where just looking at their phones the whole time rather than trying to sort out the sound...well, an exaggeration, but anytime I looked their way they were not paying attention.

I missed the start of De La Soul, but they only performed 4 songs I believe. I arrived in before the last song which was Me Myself & I.

There was lots of talking and I don't think they performed the whole song.

Premo was doing his usual thing of playing 10 seconds of a song, then to the next one. He was also doing his thing of playing a sample he used in a song and then leading into his song with the sample. The crowd didn't have a clue what he was doing from what I can tell.
    Premo was also getting flustered and not prepared and there was alot of dead air when he was searching for stuff to play.
    When he did get songs played, he was playing classics though...although, just a snippet of the song.

Here is the next thing, it was Public Enemy Radio that was playing last night, which is a line up of Chuck D, some other MC, DJ Lord and the S1W.
    The S1W are security/dancers.

It was great to hear Chuck in person delivering some of his classic lines in his booming voice. But the lack of Flavour Flav in songs hurt the performance. Early PE songs are very noisy, but due to the poor sound in the arena, it sounded horrible. I found myself listening to the lyrics to figure out what song was being played.

DJ Lord done a great little routine as well on the turntables.
    The last couple of songs were great though, He Got Game was a highlight along with Fight The Power.

Premo done his thing again between, fairly un prepared again.

Then the Wu came out....well, some of the Wu came out. RZA, Rae, Ghost, GZA and Deck. They started performing bits of 36 Chambers. As they were going through the tracks, U-God and Masta Killa did join also. Cappadonna and Young Dirty Bastard also took the stage.
    No Method Man.

They rolled through 36 Chambers, Young Dirty filling in for the Old Dirty verses. Sound was an issue still.
    But the main problem was the lackluster effort from Ghost, Rae, GZA and Deck. They looked like they were just waiting for the cash to hit their bank accounts.....Deck did get into it more as the gig went on.
    RZA was great, kept the performance rolling on and trying to get the crowd going although dressed like Janet Jackson.
    Young Dirty was the highlight, he came with energy and an eagerness to perform. He even had a few wardrobe changes though the gig and ended up in the crowd at one stage.
    U-God also did put in a bit of effort and livened things up when he took centre stage for his verses.

The highlight was Cappadonna doing the Winter Warz verse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Possible the worst sound of any gig I've ever been at.

Was at Gods Of Rap last night.

A bit underwhelming. For starters, the sound in the 3 Arena was atrocious. I was standing by the engineers desk (this is generally where you will have the best sound at a gig) but the engineers where just looking at their phones the whole time rather than trying to sort out the sound...well, an exaggeration, but anytime I looked their way they were not paying attention.

I missed the start of De La Soul, but they only performed 4 songs I believe. I arrived in before the last song which was Me Myself & I.

There was lots of talking and I don't think they performed the whole song.

Premo was doing his usual thing of playing 10 seconds of a song, then to the next one. He was also doing his thing of playing a sample he used in a song and then leading into his song with the sample. The crowd didn't have a clue what he was doing from what I can tell.
    Premo was also getting flustered and not prepared and there was alot of dead air when he was searching for stuff to play.
    When he did get songs played, he was playing classics though...although, just a snippet of the song.

Here is the next thing, it was Public Enemy Radio that was playing last night, which is a line up of Chuck D, some other MC, DJ Lord and the S1W.
    The S1W are security/dancers.

It was great to hear Chuck in person delivering some of his classic lines in his booming voice. But the lack of Flavour Flav in songs hurt the performance. Early PE songs are very noisy, but due to the poor sound in the arena, it sounded horrible. I found myself listening to the lyrics to figure out what song was being played.

DJ Lord done a great little routine as well on the turntables.
    The last couple of songs were great though, He Got Game was a highlight along with Fight The Power.

Premo done his thing again between, fairly un prepared again.

Then the Wu came out....well, some of the Wu came out. RZA, Rae, Ghost, GZA and Deck. They started performing bits of 36 Chambers. As they were going through the tracks, U-God and Masta Killa did join also. Cappadonna and Young Dirty Bastard also took the stage.
    No Method Man.

They rolled through 36 Chambers, Young Dirty filling in for the Old Dirty verses. Sound was an issue still.
    But the main problem was the lackluster effort from Ghost, Rae, GZA and Deck. They looked like they were just waiting for the cash to hit their bank accounts.....Deck did get into it more as the gig went on.
    RZA was great, kept the performance rolling on and trying to get the crowd going although dressed like Janet Jackson.
    Young Dirty was the highlight, he came with energy and an eagerness to perform. He even had a few wardrobe changes though the gig and ended up in the crowd at one stage.
    U-God also did put in a bit of effort and livened things up when he took centre stage for his verses.

The highlight was Cappadonna doing the Winter Warz verse.

de la soul played a lots of songs , way more than 4 , maybe about 15 , with snippets and medlays of their back catalogue , it was great fun

peteeeed wrote: »
    de la soul played a lots of songs , way more than 4 , maybe about 15 , with snippets and medlays of their back catalogue , it was great fun

Was just talking to someone else that was there, yup, they played loads of songs so someone at the gig was lying to me :)

Was just talking to someone else that was there, yup, they played loads of songs so someone at the gig was lying to me :)

Setlist reported 4 songs from the London concert , was bull****

Freddie gibbs Oct 20th button factory

Madlib has tour dates with Gibbs starting oct 26th in London

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Such a lack of gigs this summer. I'm a guy in his early 30's looking for some old classics or great new artists and literally nothing to look look forward to hip hop gig wise.
    Hip Hop has fallen so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Such a lack of gigs this summer. I'm a guy in his early 30's looking for some old classics or great new artists and literally nothing to look look forward to hip hop gig wise.
    Hip Hop has fallen so much.

Any new acts that are touring this part of the world are playing Longitude, really.

Jeru The Damaja, Big Shug and Group Home are playing this week in the Sugar Club :)

Denzel Curry
    Thu 5 Dec The Helix, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Jeru The Damaja, Big Shug and Group Home are playing this week in the Sugar Club :)

Now i see this! How was it ?

tossy wrote: »
    Now i see this! How was it ?

No idea, ended up not going. But seen some clips of Jeru performing and he looks alot more lively than he did any other times I've seen him.
    Big Shug only has like 2 songs worth seeing, and I've seen him do them years ago when he was alot younger.
    I would have liked to see Group Home, big fan of Livin Proof.

Looks like there was a decent crowd there too.

Big Shug only has like 2 songs worth seeing, and I've seen him do them years ago when he was alot younger..

Same here, first time i seen him was one of the best gigs of all time in Dublin. I'm sure you remember it :)

Same here, first time i seen him was one of the best gigs of all time in Dublin. I'm sure you remember it :)

Was that the Red Box, was Gangstarr the headline? The old memory is going :)
    Or for some reason I have it in my head it was Blackalicious.

Was that the Red Box, was Gangstarr the headline? The old memory is going :)
    Or for some reason I have it in my head it was Blackalicious.

The one i was thinking of was the tivoli in 94 ( i think) Ganstarr, Jeru , Big Shug , pretty sure lil dap was there, Blade and DJ pogo.

The memory isn't what it used to be but i have the ticket at home somewhere pretty sure it was only a tenner :D

• Advertisement

The one i was thinking of was the tivoli in 94 ( i think) Ganstarr, Jeru , Big Shug , pretty sure lil dap was there, Blade and DJ pogo.

The memory isn't what it used to be but i have the ticket at home somewhere pretty sure it was only a tenner :D

Done some digging and found this:

https://www.hotpress.com/music/gangstarr-new-album-dublin-show-2685109

That was 2003, pretty sure Big Shug was there and there were some other Gang Starr Foundation people as well. I must ask the lads see if they remember.

Advertisement