Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drivetime with Mary Wilson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

honeybear wrote: »
    Anyone hear Lorraine Courtney’s segment-I don’t know whether it was the content or the delivery, but it was a snoozefest

I forget which date is was, but I did hear one of her pieces, and it was. Utterly. Dire.

I realize these are "opinion pieces", but that doesn't just mean merely having an opinion, and tediously restating it at great length. Without developing the point in any meaningful manner whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,037 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

alaimacerc wrote: »
    a) What a crass metaphor.
    b) What an utterly idiosyncratic account of Mullen's (pretty standard for him) utter nonsense.

Takes an especially special snowflake to single-handedly start a tone-trolling exercise on social media, then pop up on the radio to try and make out that social media is far too crass for the likes of his delicate sensibilities.

Just stating the truth,poster.

I’ll try another one...Mullen wiped the floor with Sarah.

Hope that is a bit less “crass”.

alaimacerc wrote: »
    I forget which date is was, but I did hear one of her pieces, and it was. Utterly. Dire.

I realize these are "opinion pieces", but that doesn't just mean merely having an opinion, and tediously restating it at great length. Without developing the point in any meaningful manner whatsoever.

Montrose may share our opinion -- I can find the other "opinion pieces" Drivetime does on their podcasts (like Colm O'Regan's), but Courtney's seem to not appear at all.

Small harm.

Just stating the truth,poster.

I’ll try another one...Mullen wiped the floor with Sarah.

Hope that is a bit less “crass”.

It is. A bit. Still bizarrely counterfactual, per point the second.

Your preconceptions and biases may, and I've generally found do, vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

aware there is a Drivetime thread...

though Radio 1 promos are now advertising "Drivetime with Sarah McInerney".

Has Mary Wilson left RTE? She has not been on air in a few months..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Welcome to the RTE Summer Holidays-as I have posted elsewhere, the TV schedule is dominated by repeats and the Radio schedule is dominated by subs subbing for subs!

Teachers hours Ford.©️

Hopefully McInerney won’t get the gig full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Teachers hours Ford.©️

hopefully not. she sounds like a transition year student and has not enough radio experience for this gig.

Teachers hours Ford.©️

I think she is doing okay

I think she is doing okay

Yeh, doing ok, but not for the big gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Yeh, doing ok, but not for the big gig.

Is Mary Wilson any better? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I'd prefer Sarah any day, much more upbeat and interesting once she avoids being over PC and plugging the feminist line. I find Wilson very serious and boring to be honest IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

Ms. McInerney sounds like a young child on-air. She also seems to have a lisp or a hissing, sibilant sound pronouncing the 's' sound.

Hard to focus on feminism or PCness or anything feckin else with that assaulting one's ears.

Doherty having a new one hacked out for him on Drivetime right now.

Oh God, Sarah needs to haul Pearse in - Cormac seems to be talking sense but Pearse is doing a party political broadcast

Oh God, Sarah needs to haul Pearse in - Cormac seems to be talking sense but Pearse is doing a party political broadcast

Having his hoop handed to him big time.

SF answer to every problem.... tax the high earner more ,but don’t touch our support base.

Cormac had every rabbit hole blocked and poor Pierce had nowhere to go but blabber complete bullsdust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Having his hoop handed to him big time.

SF answer to every problem.... tax the high earner more ,but don’t touch our support base.

Cormac had every rabbit hole blocked and poor Pierce had nowhere to go but blabber complete bullsdust.

Was that Cormac Lucey?

Was that Cormac Lucey?

Sorry Yosser, didn’t get the surname.

But he knew his stuff.q

Was that Cormac Lucey?

Yes

Hmmm some goon on Drivetime now trying to put a bad name on “drinking at home”, this arsehole wants people to go down to the pub and pay €6.00 a pint instead of cracking a can at home for €1.20.

What a plonker, word in your ear buddy, the citizen won’t be gamed by your lot anymore.

Sorry lad, your day in the sun has passed.

• Advertisement

Ralph Riegal getting a good free punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Sarah again today, Mary’s holiday count must be heading for Duffy and Darcy totals at this stage. Full steam ahead on board the RTÉ gravy train.

amlinopta wrote: »
    Sarah again today, Mary’s holiday count must be heading for Duffy and Darcy totals at this stage. Full steam ahead on board the RTÉ gravy train.

Let me guess, teachers all back this week.

Expect the A listers back next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 John from Carlow

She's back

She's back

Yeah!

I'd prefer Sarah any day, much more upbeat and interesting once she avoids being over PC and plugging the feminist line. I find Wilson very serious and boring to be honest IMHO.
    In fairness, along with the News/ News At One, it's the most serious weekday content on Radio 1. She can't exactly be expected to crack jokes when covering topics like healthcare and international conflict. That's what Ivan Yeats is there for, but it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

She can be deal with lighter content perfectly well, imo, when it does come up. I think she's one of the best broadcasters in radio, even though her fees are well below some of her peers, like Joe Duffy and Marian Finucane, who don't seem to be quite as professional.

In fairness, along with the News/ News At One, it's the most serious weekday content on Radio 1. She can't exactly be expected to crack jokes when covering topics like healthcare and international conflict. That's what Ivan Yeats is there for, but it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

She can be deal with lighter content perfectly well, imo, when it does come up. I think she's one of the best broadcasters in radio, even though her fees are well below some of her peers, like Joe Duffy and Marian Finucane, who don't seem to be quite as professional.

She’d have much more ‘credibility ‘ if she toned down on plugging the feminist line.

The boy Patrick who suggested that is dead right.

She’d have much more ‘credibility ‘ if she toned down on plugging the feminist line.

The boy Patrick who suggested that is dead right.
    Sorry, I was actually talking about Wilson. Haven't caught much of McInerney recently. The feminism doesn't bother me any more than Ivan Yeats's laddishness bothers me; those are just aspects of their respective personalities.

I do think McInerney isn't very rigorous as an interviewer, she lets politicians get away with an awful lot of sidestepping and baseless claims, as though she's just reading a list of questions and not listening to the answers.

Sorry, I was actually talking about Wilson. Haven't caught much of McInerney recently. The feminism doesn't bother me any more than Ivan Yeats's laddishness bothers me; those are just aspects of their respective personalities.

I do think McInerney isn't very rigorous as an interviewer, she lets politicians get away with an awful lot of sidestepping and baseless claims, as though she's just reading a list of questions and not listening to the answers.

Yes, that’s a good balanced reply, I have to,in fairness agree with that assessment.

• Advertisement

Think Sarah was a good sub for Mary. I did notice that there were more recorded sections of Drivetime during Mary’s holiday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement