Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's surely the fault of Quinn. Should stations do private interviews before hand to see how they are before allowing them on air ?

Quinn has been on Newstalk before and everybody knows where he's coming from on this issue. Breakfast either had him on because they were too lazy to find somebody else or - more likely - his OTT performance suits the station's blatant pro-YES agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So you want Quinn censored then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Del.Monte wrote: »
    My point in a previous post is that wheeling out Quinn as a proponent of the NO side is a cynical move by Newstalk to be seen to give balance to the previous YES interview. They did it full in the knowledge that Quinn comes across badly and it's akin to getting the DUP to back the NO side. I'm still voting NO and it's feck all to do with the Iona Institute.

And who should they bring out to counter the Yes argument? Breda O'Brien? Ronan Mullen? John Waters? JIM WALSH?!!! They've all made a holy show of themselves.

If an organisation like the IONA Institute seem to be the go-to-guys for the No argument, then maybe that says something about the deficiencies in that campaign?

Who do you want to represent the No camp? The ordinary, decent man/woman-on-the-street? Like the one in the audience on George Hooks show who advised us that if same-sex marriage was available years ago, none of us would be here?

So you want Quinn censored then ?

Quinn has had plenty of exposure and it shouldn't be beyond the wit of Newstalk to find NO people with less baggage, but that wouldn't suit their efforts to get a YES vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

jooksavage wrote: »
    And who should they bring out to counter the Yes argument? Breda O'Brien? Ronan Mullen? John Waters? JIM WALSH?!!! They've all made a holy show of themselves.

If an organisation like the IONA Institute seem to be the go-to-guys for the No argument, then maybe that says something about the deficiencies in that campaign?

Who do you want to represent the No camp? The ordinary, decent man/woman-on-the-street? Like the one in the audience on George Hooks show who advised us that if same-sex marriage was available years ago, none of us would be here?

As someone said to me: "What if this whole country was gay?" "There'd be no more children" Wow, really??

It's certainly up there with the "god made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" and "men and women ARE different, they have different genitalia" arguments. Well I never knew. I'm sure that most teenagers would be embarrassed to utter such childish nonsense. Then we hear it from Breda O'Brien, David Quinn, Ronan Mullen, John Waters, Petra Conroy and their 'holier-than-thou' ilk. It's pathetic and infuriating. I suppose it's some consolation to see these fanatical, god botherering, bible thumpers being laughed at in debates.

• Advertisement

Quinn has had plenty of exposure and it shouldn't be beyond the wit of Newstalk to find NO people with less baggage, but that wouldn't suit their efforts to get a YES vote.

It can't be easy to find a No voter who's both rational and bigoted at the same time. You're asking a lot. It's like trying to find someone who is against equal rights for blacks, but who is reasonable and comes across well. It's not going to happen.

Aren't the Orange Order in the No camp? Give them a ring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Neither the Yes or No sides appear good at presenting their case due to those that researchers and journalists select to speak, the narrative is apparently preformed...

The argument for Yes couched in emotive sob stories told by proud mammies, daddies or sisters of gay sons / siblings

The argument for No only vocalised by Iona and shouty Waters

No peeling of the onion, no technical teasing.

The Irish media has done the people a disservice in this debate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

It's like trying to find someone who is against equal rights for blacks, but who is reasonable and comes across well. It's not going to happen.

no, it's absolutely nothing like that. it's comments like these that give the yes camp a bad name and have been damaging to the campaign.

my friend wrote: »
    Neither the Yes or No sides appear good at presenting their case due to those that researchers and journalists select to speak, the narrative is apparently preformed...

The argument for Yes couched in emotive sob stories told by proud mammies, daddies or sisters of gay sons / siblings

The argument for No only vocalised by Iona and shouty Waters

No peeling of the onion, no technical teasing.

The Irish media has done the people a disservice in this debate

Most, if not all, shows have had the referendum commission on at some point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Most, if not all, shows have had the referendum commission on at some point.

You do realise that the refcom's pronouncements are merely opinions, they are not legal rulings and are not binding and they have been contradictory in same

• Advertisement

It can't be easy to find a No voter who's both rational and bigoted at the same time. You're asking a lot. It's like trying to find someone who is against equal rights for blacks, but who is reasonable and comes across well. It's not going to happen.

Aren't the Orange Order in the No camp? Give them a ring.

And back we are again to name calling. All NO voters are homophobes. :rolleyes:

I agree it's not fair to label No voters homophobes. This kind of stuff is cancer for the Yes campaign. But I would like to know who you think would make a better case for a No vote? You're clearly not happy with David Quinn's approach.

my friend wrote: »
    You do realise that the refcom's pronouncements are merely opinions, they are not legal rulings and are not binding and they have been contradictory in same

How can they be legal rulings when the referendum hasn't been voted on yet ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

People this is not the off topic thread so please return to Newstalk Breakfast show or I'll be handing out bans esp. relating to the upcoming referendum...

//MOD

Nody wrote: »
    //MOD

People this is not the off topic thread so please return to Newstalk Breakfast show or I'll be handing out bans esp. relating to the upcoming referendum...

//MOD

Fair enough. Ahem. So, does Chris still suck at interviews?

@Nody it's directly related to the handling of the referendum by Newstalk and not on the pros and cons of the referendum itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

@Nody it's directly related to the handling of the referendum by Newstalk and not on the pros and cons of the referendum itself.
    //MOD

This is an example of relating to Newstalk breakfast show on the topic:

Quinn has been on Newstalk before and everybody knows where he's coming from on this issue. Breakfast either had him on because they were too lazy to find somebody else or - more likely - his OTT performance suits the station's blatant pro-YES agenda.
    This is an example of discussing the referendum:
    As someone said to me: "What if this whole country was gay?" "There'd be no more children" Wow, really??

It's certainly up there with the "god made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" and "men and women ARE different, they have different genitalia" arguments. Well I never knew. I'm sure that most teenagers would be embarrassed to utter such childish nonsense. Then we hear it from Breda O'Brien, David Quinn, Ronan Mullen, John Waters, Petra Conroy and their 'holier-than-thou' ilk. It's pathetic and infuriating. I suppose it's some consolation to see these fanatical, god botherering, bible thumpers being laughed at in debates.
    See the difference? Posts that are directly relating to the show's presentation are fine to continue; general discussion on the referendum is off topic. Any further questions via PM please or you'll risk running into the "questioning Mod decision on thread" and that will force me to hand out cards for consistency.

//MOD

For what it's worth, I do think Ivan gave the Yes guy an uncharacteristically easy time of it. But I'm assuming he reasoned that the guy was a "civilian", unlike the seasoned David Quinn, who seems to be on some show every other day.

I honestly don't think Breakfast screwed the No side by having Quinn on. Who else would have done so much better?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The Quinn interview was a shambles IMO. Chris really shouldn't be allowed do these interviews when it's so evident that he can't be impartial.

While I understand what he was doing by bringing up the divorce issue, it served only to further muddy the waters, and alowed Quinn to ramble on about unrelated sh*te (something which the No side are very adept at anyway). Just give him enough rope and any reasonable person will recognise that Quinn's arguments about surrogacy and adoption are completely irrelevant to the issue.

• Site Banned Posts: 77 ✭✭Unruly Hector

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The Quinn interview was a shambles IMO. Chris really shouldn't be allowed do these interviews when it's so evident that he can't be impartial.

But didnt he get pulled up on this by the BAI.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

But didnt he get pulled up on this by the BAI.

He did. But trust me when I say, 1 BAI ruling isn't worth the paper it's written on. And the sanctions are meaningless, as all you have to do is broadcast an apology and summary of the finding.

If NT wanted to be impartial (as a good CA station would strive to be), they would pull him from these interviews, as he clearly comes across as pushing his own view. As much as I agree with Chris' view, I think it damages the Yes side to try and railroad No supporters, even if they're Iona Institute gurriers.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    He did. But trust me when I say, 1 BAI ruling isn't worth the paper it's written on. And the sanctions are meaningless, as all you have to do is broadcast an apology and summary of the finding.

If NT wanted to be impartial (as a good CA station would strive to be), they would pull him from these interviews, as he clearly comes across as pushing his own view. As much as I agree with Chris' view, I think it damages the Yes side to try and railroad No supporters, even if they're Iona Institute gurriers.

Fair enough, but is he not supposed to play devil's advocate when giving a voice to only one side? He can't just let him talk away, unchallenged.

No voters have told me that they're not homophobic. As you and I know, nobody has ever lied. Ever.

But imagine if people could tell lies. Lie to themselves even.

"I'm not homophobic, but, they should have a different partnership to what the rest of us normal people have." - Typical No voter

If it looks like sh1t, smells like sh1t and tastes like sh1t then it's probably sh1t.

"I'm not a racist but, [something racist]"

"I'm not a homophobe but [something against the gheys]"

The man from Del Monte says; "when life gives you lemons oranges, make orange juice."

Ivan Yates' Big Gay Disco :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

No voters have told me that they're not homophobic. As you and I know, nobody has ever lied. Ever.

But imagine if people could tell lies. Lie to themselves even.

"I'm not homophobic, but, they should have a different partnership to what the rest of us normal people have." - Typical No voter

If it looks like sh1t, smells like sh1t and tastes like sh1t then it's probably sh1t.

"I'm not a racist but, [something racist]"

"I'm not a homophobe but [something against the gheys]"

The man from Del Monte says; "when life gives you lemons oranges, make orange juice."

how's the head this morning old chap? have a few drinky poos last night did we?

• Site Banned Posts: 77 ✭✭Unruly Hector

Or a different reading of it could be that you're just not prepared to accept the genuine opinions of anybody that doesnt agree with you 100%....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Gonna be interesting to see if they cover the breaking DOB story regarding his loans in the morning. Will they go against the boss?? Nah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Gonna be interesting to see if they cover the breaking DOB story regarding his loans in the morning. Will they go against the boss?? Nah.

Neither of the two have the balls!

And Pat Kenny is the same, €€€ before principles!

Denis o Brien is signing the cheques and running the editorial!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Two chances - slim and none, and slim just left the building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

[QUOTE=Harry Angstrom;9567523
    5]Two chances - slim and none, and slim just left the building.[/QUOTE]

They did and stated that they were unable to speak about it ! They did say the story was mentioned in the dail and that the only paper that ran the story was the times..............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement