Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how old is your ride on tractor mower thread.

Options
  • 16-09-2020 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭

hey guys just said i would start this thread for the crack.

my mtd lawnflite 604 was bought in 1997,shes still in good shape and flying it.
    recently i serviced it new plug,air filter,new oil,new blade and battery and totally cleaned the carburetor.she is 23 yrs old and purring sweetly :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

Castlegarden 40" twincut hydro here. Made in Italy in 2005 apparently. Bought it three years ago. Battery is a bit knackered but other than that going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I have a Rally (under the seat it says Electrolux), I would say it's about 10-12 years old (it came with the house :pac:)

In the past 4 years or so, I've had to get a new clutch, drive belt and cutting belt replaced twice.

Been contemplating purchasing a robot mower - maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have a 36” Castlegarden with B&S engine. Garden about 0.7 Acre

It’s 17years old.
    Have it from new

Original deck & blades
    Original battery
    I service every 2 years myself

Has only needed one idler pulley and a drive belt which I replaced myself.

I worried at the time it was allot of money but it’s been faultless really. Has never been away from the house for a repair in its lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Honda 2315 marked as manufactured 2005, ten years use on an acre of grass. Great machine from a crap main dealer. Machine was second hand and had been rebuilt after someone must have driven it over a cliff. After a bit of use the deck supports needed rewelding and discovered that the main frame also needed welding as it was ripped apart in places. Add to that a load of abuse I've given it I think its done well. Needs replacing this next season. Rebuilt deck with mostly new parts 2 years back and replace the deck belt each year. Basically its just rusting out from poor storage but hoping to finish the season out. I'll buy the same again or at least the nearest one Honda do think its the 2317 (bigger engine same deck) and best price so far is 3.8k delivered in a crate for me to assemble.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

_Brian wrote: »

It’s 17years old.
    Have it from new

Original deck & blades
    Original battery

I worried at the time it was allot of money but it’s been faultless really. Has never been away from the house for a repair in its lifetime.

How have you maintained the battery for 17 yrs without it going bad??.

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »

Mine lasted 11 years from new but I did charge it a couple of times each winter

Mine lasted 11 years from new but I did charge it a couple of times each winter

Do you bring in the battery to the house in winter?.

Do you bring in the battery to the house in winter?.

Lidl Ultimate Speed battery charger taken out to the barn. Barn has a permanent extension lead run out to it.

I am a bit anal about batteries and charging. I have a monthly reminder set up in Outlook that says Check and charge all batteries if necessary. We get more than the odd power cut and I've a rake of rechargeable torches and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭secman

Have a castlegarden 195xt from new since April 2008
    Original battery..its put on trickle charge every winter. Had to change the deck last year, rotted badly on one side only ?

It’s garages all the time in a semi warm garage. That makes a massive difference. But I do nothing special. It sits in the garage between October and April, mostly starts without the battery being flat.
    Each year I think it surely won’t still be good but it’s never had a problem.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Have a castlegarden 195xt from new since April 2008
    Original battery..its put on trickle charge every winter. Had to change the deck last year, rotted badly on one side only ?

My deck lasted a bit longer, probably the same deck, but at least rusted out all over. I did get some major welding done when I discovered how bad it was when the dealer sold it. I put my rust down to poor storage - open barn and the concrete floor is often wet.

My deck lasted a bit longer, probably the same deck, but at least rusted out all over. I did get some major welding done when I discovered how bad it was when the dealer sold it. I put my rust down to poor storage - open barn and the concrete floor is often wet.

ive my deck done with red oxide and deck still in great nick after 23 years.

oh forgot to add i took the filter off and plastic casing off today to spray in some carb cleaner in to where the choke opens the carb.
    and mower will not start at all now,even tryed it this evening she wont fire up.

wonder have flooded it with the carb spray,or the carb spray has mixed in with the petrol in the carburettor and there for wont start.

whats the fix?,to remove the bowl under neath the carb and get shut of the petrol that might have gotten the carb spray in it?.

i think its best to spray the carb spray in to the carburetor when the engine is running,but hindsights a great yoke lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

It’s garages all the time in a semi warm garage. That makes a massive difference. But I do nothing special. It sits in the garage between October and April, mostly starts without the battery being flat.
    Each year I think it surely won’t still be good but it’s never had a problem.

Have a Castlegarden 40in 2004, has been cutting close on an acre of ground since I bought it new. Serviced about 4 times, one drive belt, parked in garage from November till March every year and has never failed to start and has never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

It’s 17years old.
    Have it from new

Original deck & blades
    Original battery

Excellent service. Any harm to ask the price at that time?

oh forgot to add i took the filter off and plastic casing off today to spray in some carb cleaner in to where the choke opens the carb.
    and mower will not start at all now,even tryed it this evening she wont fire up.

wonder have flooded it with the carb spray,or the carb spray has mixed in with the petrol in the carburettor and there for wont start.

whats the fix?,to remove the bowl under neath the carb and get shut of the petrol that might have gotten the carb spray in it?.

i think its best to spray the carb spray in to the carburetor when the engine is running,but hindsights a great yoke lol.

any help guys i took off the carburetor today and totally cleaned it with carb spray etc and put it all back together and still no joy she will not start up,pulling my hair out at this stage cause she was running fine before i sprayed in the carb spray.

any help guys i took off the carburetor today and totally cleaned it with carb spray etc and put it all back together and still no joy she will not start up,pulling my hair out at this stage cause she was running fine before i sprayed in the carb spray.

Try cleaning the spark plug and check you're getting a spark by connecting the lead and cranking the engine while resting the plug on the engine.

Try cleaning the spark plug and check you're getting a spark by connecting the lead and cranking the engine while resting the plug on the engine.

ye checked that and shes getting plenty of spark.

Sounds like a blocked jet or something like that.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a blocked jet or something like that.

i had the whole carburetor off today and cleaned it with carb spray.

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Excellent service. Any harm to ask the price at that time?

€2100, paid for with a work bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,844 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

hey guys just said i would start this thread for the crack.

my mtd lawnflite 604 was bought in 1997,shes still in good shape and flying it.
    recently i serviced it new plug,air filter,new oil,new blade and battery and totally cleaned the carburetor.she is 23 yrs old and purring sweetly :)

That's like Trigger's sweeping brush. :)

That's like Trigger's sweeping brush. :)

it does the job thats all that matters :)

Advertisement