Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pricing a painting

• 19-08-2020 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, recently I've had someone show an interest in purchasing a small watercolour painting that I did. I haven't really sold anything before so I'm not entirely sure how much to charge for it. I know that some people charge by the square inch but I'm not sure what amount I should go with.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

It is not best for the artist to be paid by the square inch - if so then the artist can expect to be treated like a piece of carpet.

You might look at other artists and compare their prices.

Take your technique/process/time and cost of materials into your measurement of your own costs .

Measure you artistry cost and apply it equally to all potential buyers. However with patrons it should be ok to state to the potential patron that I am selling this to you at a reduction because of your patronage but otherwise you will be charged the same price as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

As a rule of thumb, I have heard that you estimate cost of the frame and double the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Garlinge wrote: »
    As a rule of thumb, I have heard that you estimate cost of the frame and double the price.

A frame for a 12" x 18" painting could be anything from €10 to €100 plus.

OP, I would suggest considering the time it took to paint and multiplying that by an hourly wage which you feel is appropriate for your time.
    Add this to materials and delivery (if required), and there's your price.

Consider if selling paintings is something you want to actively do in future and select your hourly rate accordingly so as to neither scare off potential customers, or devalue yourself so that putting x number of hours in to a painting is not worth your while.

I would suggest a minimum of €20/hour starting off but it depends on how much you value your time, and the skill and vision which you possess.

Also worth considering if your hourly rate will be the same for commissions, or for work you have create based on your own vision.

Once you have an hourly rate (or more than one if catering for different types of paintings) it will make it easier to calculate prices quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I dont think you will get a professionally framed picture done for that size for less than 40 euro!

Advertisement