Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Badge Renewal...BIG Joke

• 26-02-2020 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

There is currently a renewal delay of 20 working days with the DDAI. A person renewing their badge also must return their current badge (expired or not) to the DDAI. In reality, another week can be added to this time to take into account postage.

Many Blue Badge holders have a regular, if not not daily need for use of their badge, so why is it an accepted norm to require the return of a badge which has a very large, bold font expiry date on it...rendering it useless after the expiry date? What a terrible system of renewal and so uncaring for the disabled.

On top of that, the fee is €35 to renew and they often demand an updated medical declaration which is another €50/€60 unless you have a medical card. The current renewal process need to be changed and urgently. The DDAI are doing us all a great dis-service in this regard. Pretty damned disgraceful, especially for the permanently disabled.

Free Palestine from Hamas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed this could be managed better, but on a scale of things to get annoyed about, especially in regard to the disabled, its not really that high. Its every two years, the person can still use their car, can still park, if not very conveniently, and will have to pay parking charges for the time involved. If a disabled parking space is occupied the next disabled driver to come along will have to do these things anyway. In respect of the cost, there are administrative cost but also the amount normally saved in 2 years parking charges would not be long making up the fee.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit unsympathetic, and I have direct experience of the blue badge scheme and driving a disabled person. Maybe a letter to the Minister for Health would be more useful, it could be suggested that the old permit does not have to be returned until the new one is received, or not at all, after all if it is out of date then it is no use to anyone.

(This is my personal opinion, not as a Mod.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Contact your local TD and ask them to do something about it, that’s their job as a public representative and they are getting well paid for it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

looksee wrote: »
    Agreed this could be managed better, but on a scale of things to get annoyed about, especially in regard to the disabled, its not really that high. Its every two years, the person can still use their car, can still park, if not very conveniently, and will have to pay parking charges for the time involved. If a disabled parking space is occupied the next disabled driver to come along will have to do these things anyway.

For some (not all) disabled persons, it might be the difference between being able to get to where you need to go, or not. Depending on the disability, the very welcome ability to park for free is only right, as the disabled person may not have a choice other than to drive to otherwise paid parking spots.

To take the freedom and sometimes the need for movement for 1 month out of every 2 years is criminal in my view and serves no purpose at all other than to potentially restrict someones movement. A disabled person having to pay for parking for that period of time is unacceptable, as those who need it most are highly likely supported by the state.

Thankfully I am not one with such needs, but I wrote the OP with these people in mind.
    In respect of the cost, there are administrative cost but also the amount normally saved in 2 years parking charges would not be long making up the fee.

As above, I don't think this justifies the period for which a disabled person is effectively denied the use of their blue badge. And for a permanently disabled person, a 2 year badge is ridiculous in any case. They should be 10 years with temporary badges being 1, or 2 years depending on the disability and recovery period.
    I'm sorry if I sound a bit unsympathetic, and I have direct experience of the blue badge scheme and driving a disabled person. Maybe a letter to the Minister for Health would be more useful, it could be suggested that the old permit does not have to be returned until the new one is received, or not at all, after all if it is out of date then it is no use to anyone.

Your post did not sound unsympathetic. I think you merely missed my points when you applied an importance scale to it. There are absolutely more important things regarding disabled people and services. However, if we ignore everything but the high priority items, then the lesser priorities will not be tended to and these combined can make an already difficult situation, much worse.

For context, *I knew a disabled woman who had been very active throughout her life, but was injured at work in her early thirties and was left with a permanent disability, severely restricting her mobility. She loved cycling and that's how she commuted to work, but obviously those days were behind her. In order for her to have some level of independence, she had to get an adapted car. She moved back to her parents in the city and was granted a blue badge. Her badge gave her the small freedom of being able to go to most places she would previously have cycled to. The car was her legs and I think for her to have to pay for parking under the circumstances, even for a very short time) would be a huge injustice. Don't you?

*fiction. I don't really know anyone who fits that story exactly, but I have no doubt that many disabled persons tick those boxes and more. I wanted to highlight that the blue badge is not a benefit to some, it is a need.

It might be worthwhile highlighting this issue to the minister, but the current minister is a shadow and will do nothing because he is on his way out.

Could you not just put a (short) note up on the dash explaining the situation and park in the usual place.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I am a blue badge holder

My blue badge was expired three months before I notices. Parking was still ok with it as even though it was expired anybody could see I was disabled.

I contacted the place in Kildare, applied for a new one which took 8 days and sent the old one back, no problems

• Advertisement

Could you not just put a (short) note up on the dash explaining the situation and park in the usual place.

Dear parking warden.
    My blue badge is being renewed.
    Please see photocopy of valid badge the DDAI required me to return for renewal.

Response

river?version=3548832&width=500

€80 thank you

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I am a blue badge holder

My blue badge was expired three months before I notices. Parking was still ok with it as even though it was expired anybody could see I was disabled.

I contacted the place in Kildare, applied for a new one which took 8 days and sent the old one back, no problems

There is a backlog of 20 working days. They also require the return of the existing badge, which is the real issue. Even an expired badge would be better than nothing, with maybe a months grace.

Also what place in Kildare? The DDAI is in Mayo. I am not aware of any other way to renew a badge.

There is a backlog of 20 working days. They also require the return of the existing badge, which is the real issue. Even an expired badge would be better than nothing, with maybe a months grace.

Ask if you can delay returning badge

Ask if you can delay returning badge

Already did this. It must be returned with renewal form, or the entire renewal is returned to sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kc78

On the renewal form we got it said you can hold on to the existing badge until the new one issues and then send the current one back. This is what we did. If you don't sent the existing one back then they won't renew the next time.

• Advertisement

Already did this. It must be returned with renewal form, or the entire renewal is returned to sender.

https://www.iwa.ie/services/motoring/disabled-parking-permit-scheme

Please see section 5, you can return your current badge on receipt of your new one

kc78 wrote: »
    On the renewal form we got it said you can hold on to the existing badge until the new one issues and then send the current one back. This is what we did. If you don't sent the existing one back then they won't renew the next time.

Exactly, to prevent fraud

Dear parking warden.
    My blue badge is being renewed.
    Please see photocopy of valid badge the DDAI required me to return for renewal.

Response

river?version=3548832&width=500

€80 thank you

Dear Mr. Ghost,
    Seems like much ado about nothing.

Dear Mr. Ghost,
    Seems like much ado about nothing.

Maybe DDAI terms are different

https://www.iwa.ie/services/motoring/disabled-parking-permit-scheme

Please see section 5, you can return your current badge on receipt of your new one

This was not the case on the DDAI form. It specifically said that I must return the current badge, plus payment, plus photo and medical review section. If all parts were not received, the application would be returned.

It is interesting that the IWA don't require you to return the badge until a new one is received. Thanks for that.
    Maybe DDAI terms are different

Yes, it would seem so. They don't say on their website that the badge is to be returned, but in the renewal application, it is very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭lulu1

I agree with the poster who says they should be valid for 10 years even for people who have a primary medical cert

lulu1 wrote: »
    I agree with the poster who says they should be valid for 10 years even for people who have a primary medical cert

I would say it is to limit abuse.

If a ten year was issued and the holder passed away after one year the pass could be open to abuse for nine years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,146 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I would say it is to limit abuse.

If a ten year was issued and the holder passed away after one year the pass could be open to abuse for nine years.

True ,and I know of a badge holder who was hospitalised for 3 Months and then put off the road ,.Her daughter used the badge for months before it ran out.
    Still , charging £35 is penny pinching. It's not 'free' parking,they're front loading an expected loss of revenue.
    It should be free. Surely with all the data they have on you they can easily know if you've died ! or put off the road .
    And some conditions like MS never mind conditions like amputees , paralysis from injuries dont magically get better

• I received my renewal from IWA this morning, it took 23 days.

I did not realise that you could return the old permit after the new one is issued, so thanks for that, I'll remember it for next time. Its good info to have.

Yes mine is due for renewal soon and I need to use the badge while I wait on the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is enormous abuse of the blue badge. Particularly by family members using old badges - deceased family member etc. That is exactly why the badge is only 2 years and technically when it is out of date it ceases to be valid.

However, I tried to renew a badge online IWA portal. But cannot because their internal system has to declare an old badge as expired before a new badge can be ordered!

Edit - it was a technical difficulty and it was sorted out by the IWA - following an email/phonecall.

Now able to renew badge on the IWA portal

Note - it is IWA Kildare that issues the blue parking badges (if anyone is getting the badge from the IWA) - you will know this by a 'W' before the badge permit number.

---

The irony is not lost on me on the problem of renewal. I always a remember a Garda at a disabled drivers conference who gave a talk about ‘operation enable’ (Policing of People who are illegally parking in disabled bays - able bodied etc)

He told a story of how he warned a disabled man that his badge needs to be renewed. The man’s response was ‘My disability does not need to be renewed’ The Garda then explained how it was to stop misuse of the blue badge. But they do give a period of grace until the new badge is received- within reason.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement