Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Simple Answer to GAA's Problems

• 13-01-2020 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭

So simple it has never really been considered properly (probably because its a mirror of soccer).

1. Flip the league and Championship scheduling - championship spring, league summer.
    2. Winners of the league are All-Ireland champions.
    3. Tiered competitions with promotion and relegation in line with current league format.
    4. 2 weeks on and one week off. Week off for hurling is a week on for football.
    5. League starts in May and finished by Mid August allowing clubs clarity that from May to August their county players are unavailable. They play the secondary club competitions in this window warming up for mid August.
    6. Promotion and relegation keeps all games with something to play for and teams are playing at their own level so less blow outs than before.
    7. Championship returns to straight knockout run from Feb to mid April and becomes the secondary competition.

This is is the obvious solution to me as the current trajectory of the championship in both codes is basically a basterdised league with so many compromises it neither one or the other.

Also, maybe more controversially in reference to Colm O'Rourkes piece today, it allows a route towards semi professionalism if every county is guaranteed the same amount of games in the primary competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

slegs wrote: »

1. Flip the league and Championship scheduling - championship spring, league summer.

3. Tiered competitions with promotion and relegation in line with current league format.
    5. League starts in May and finished by Mid August allowing clubs clarity that from May to August their county players are unavailable. They play the secondary club competitions in this window warming up for mid August.
    6. Promotion and relegation keeps all games with something to play for and teams are playing at their own level so less blow outs than before.
    7. Championship returns to straight knockout run from Feb to mid April and becomes the secondary competition.

This is is the obvious solution to me as the current trajectory of the championship in both codes is basically a basterdised league with so many compromises it neither one or the other.

Also, maybe more controversially in reference to Colm O'Rourkes piece today, it allows a route towards semi professionalism if every county is guaranteed the same amount of games in the primary competition.

I'll have whatever you're smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭slegs

I'll have whatever you're smoking.

All revolutions start small :)

The league is a great competition with growing attendances. Its only negative is that its the secondary competition in GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You have seen the weather in Ireland during the Spring..

Splish-splash-splosh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

For me - the football championship should be 6 groups of 4 with 2 groups of 5 - a seeded draw but zero provincial considerations...

3 games for the groups of 4 and 4 games for the groups of 5

Top two from each group go into straight knockout last 16

Remaining 18 go into a straight knockout last 18 with the worst four performing teams in the group stages having to play a prelim game to reduce the 18 to 16. Those 16 continue on to compete in a secondary all Ireland football competition with the final played the same weekend as the primary competition.

Could also reduce the complexity by having a prelim to the group stages with the four worst performing counties from last year to reduce it to 32 counties and then have two parallel 16 team knockouts after the group stages. But I'd hate to see counties knocked out for the year after one prelim game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭slegs

rossie1977 wrote: »
    You have seen the weather in Ireland during the Spring..

Splish-splash-splosh.jpg

The spring competition is still the secondary competition. Its just now a knockout one just like the old championship starting with provincials and leading to semi-finals and final.

The league is currently played in spring so the weather is worse for teams then as they play more games in bad weather. With the league the primary competition in summer it will go from strength to strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

slegs wrote: »
    So simple it has never really been considered properly (probably because its a mirror of soccer).

Please change the topic to Gaelic football not GAA. GAA includes hurling and all the changes you suggest are to make Gaelic football better not hurling. The only reason the league is better is because its the league and cynical play is not as prevelant and ultimately nobody cares who wins. When the heat of championship comes all the nice, slick easy to watch stuff goes out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

We should have a League based Championship for football.

All-Ireland + Tier Two Champions + Top 14 teams in the League go into Tier 1. The remaining 16 teams go into Tier 2.

As for Hurling. Reduce the number of tiers to 4. Hold the Tiers 3 and 4 before the Senior QFs or SFs. Clubs must take priority here though. We can't expect counties with only 3-5 clubs to be competitive. I don't buy the excuse that there isn't any interest. Kids love hurling when they get a chance to play it.

A provincial league should be formed for clubs in the weaker counties of Britain, Connacht and Ulster. Playing a wider spread of teams aids development regardless of whether they are from the same county or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

We should have a League based Championship for football.

All-Ireland + Tier Two Champions + Top 14 teams in the League go into Tier 1. The remaining 16 teams go into Tier 2.

As for Hurling. Reduce the number of tiers to 4. Hold the Tiers 3 and 4 before the Senior QFs or SFs. Clubs must take priority here though. We can't expect counties with only 3-5 clubs to be competitive. I don't buy the excuse that there isn't any interest. Kids love hurling when they get a chance to play it.

A provincial league should be formed for clubs in the weaker counties of Britain, Connacht and Ulster. Playing a wider spread of teams aids development regardless of whether they are from the same county or not.
    A brilliant idea.

I would also start one for the Mid Leinster (Westmeath, Meath, Kildare, Longford, Wicklow) and I would split Ulster into West Ulster (Donegal, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Monaghan, Derry) and East Ulster (Antrim, Down, Armagh, Cavan, Louth).

Along with Connaught, that would be four regional leagues that could be set up for the club player only (county players could play only if their county was not playing that weekend) and played during the summer when the counties are playing whcih could give the game a boost.

And as an incentive to do well, I would give the junior, intermediate & senior champions of each league entry into the All-Ireland club championships in the autumn, if the same club won their county championship then the county runners up would also go into the club championships with them (more interest then from that county in the club championships).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

randd1 wrote: »
    A brilliant idea.

I would also start one for the Mid Leinster (Westmeath, Meath, Kildare, Longford, Wicklow) and I would split Ulster into West Ulster (Donegal, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Monaghan, Derry) and East Ulster (Antrim, Down, Armagh, Cavan, Louth).

Along with Connaught, that would be four regional leagues that could be set up for the club player only (county players could play only if their county was not playing that weekend) and played during the summer when the counties are playing whcih could give the game a boost.

And as an incentive to do well, I would give the junior, intermediate & senior champions of each league entry into the All-Ireland club championships in the autumn, if the same club won their county championship then the county runners up would also go into the club championships with them (more interest then from that county in the club championships).

Some of the Connacht clubs already compete in Galway's leagues IIRC so perhaps Galway could be convinced to expand their league to incorporate the other Connacht clubs and so on.

Clubs in other counties could be divided between leagues in the neighbouring county depending on where they are located. The benefit of this proposal is that clubs from weaker counties would have regular games against clubs from the traditional strongholds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

A brilliant idea.

Ulster geography isn’t your strong suit if you think Monaghan is west of Cavan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭randd1

Ulster geography isn’t your strong suit if you think Monaghan is west of Cavan.

Yeah, I'm always getting thos two mixed up. Still though, you could swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Yeah, I'm always getting thos two mixed up.

Don't mention that fact if you're down that neck of the woods. You might not be the most popular person if you do :)

Advertisement