Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold prospecting holiday in West cork

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Fork me, 108 metres way back when.... they really did search.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

Slowburner, where did you take those pictures? Looks like the adits in Glendasan?

I have been in some old mines (some bl**dy dodgy ones too...) and working conditions must have been quite hard for the miners.

Oh and I agree, it looks like smoke rather than manganese oxides...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Step23 wrote: »
    Slowburner, where did you take those pictures? Looks like the adits in Glendasan?

I have been in some old mines (some bl**dy dodgy ones too...) and working conditions must have been quite hard for the miners.

Oh and I agree, it looks like smoke rather than manganese oxides...
    In Avoca, I don't get out much ;)
    The level had been flooded and forgotten.
    I drained it (very carefully) over about a year.
    There is still a flooded shaft which is beyond my capabilities and it looks like the most interesting one of all.
    At the top of the collapsed raise we found a "tob", this was lump of marl which was squeezed between the miner's finger and thumb to make a holder for his candle. He would stick the candle onto a ledge, and work away with the pick.
    You can still see the soot on the wall (maybe it's manganese staining) and the fingerprints of the miner.
    I keep meaning to go back to photograph it, but it's a winter job - it's just far too overgrown right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

slowburner wrote: »
    AFAIK, you have to find the biggest mofo boulder in the stream - one that's been there since the ice age and has caused a deposit to sit undisturbed for millennia.
    Then you have to find black sand underneath it, and that's the stuff you have to pan.
    There are lots of good youtubes on gold panning.
    Best of luck with your adventure.

Just a qualifier on that correct info. The boulder may not be in the stream when you see it but should have been in the stream when it was in flood in order for it to be gold-bearing beneath / in front. Always picture the stream in flood, not at rest. THAT will tell you where the gold lies. Inside corners, heavy blockages like boulders, but at flood time, not at low water. Hence you could be searching the high bank of a river, not necessarily the bedrock of the stream. Watch videos on YT for 'reading' a gold-bearing stream.

EDIT: That boulder won't have moved, in my example above, rather the stream will have receded. Gold only moves during floods. Therefore if you find a gold-bearing spot, return to it again in the future....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

So I have been hiking around a few more large old rivers/streams in the kerry mountain area. My dog is having a great laugh. Were still planning a camping trip out Somewhere. Thinking maybe Donegal now.

Here are two pics of a collapsed cliff face. Really cool:

imag0423l.jpg

imag0422f.jpg

I found plenty of metaphoric rock and lots of rock that was green with quartz. None trace of that calcopyrite this time or even anything that looked metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 coolabuaile

Bogwalrus, have a look south of lough Guitane outside of Killarney on the Cork road. Seems like there may have been some volcanic activity there back in the day. Might be a good spot for gold or at the least some interesting minerals and a nice day out. Will I send you some coordinates? You could check it out on Google earth. I haven't been out there yet so I don't know what you could expect to find. The green in and around the quartz is chlorite as far as I know, loads of it out on the Dingle peninsula. Been searching for a nice looking bit to add to my collection of useless but interesting stones.

Bogwalrus, have a look south of lough Guitane outside of Killarney on the Cork road. Seems like there may have been some volcanic activity there back in the day. Might be a good spot for gold or at the least some interesting minerals and a nice day out. Will I send you some coordinates? You could check it out on Google earth. I haven't been out there yet so I don't know what you could expect to find. The green in and around the quartz is chlorite as far as I know, loads of it out on the Dingle peninsula. Been searching for a nice looking bit to add to my collection of useless but interesting stones.

Excellent stuff. My next proper free day is in a few days and it looks like i'll be going on a hike;)

I had found some nice stones on the lower lake. No sign of gold but if there was some volcanic activity maybe some luck higher up.

Thanks!

Those last pics i posted are part of the range just below ugh guitane. Forgot to say. The rock type has layers of yellowish stone with a bluish stone and then some dark enough stone.

I might be in that are today so will take a drive in and around that lake.

CHeers,
    Matt

There's a small stream to the south of the lake, looks like a good spot to have a dig about. Let me know how you get on!
    Cloda

Managed to Head to lough Guitane. Beautiful area. I Drove along the lake on the path towards that stream. Its private property but walkers are allowed. Unfortunately dogs are not and I had a very excited mutt in the back dying for a swim so we just pulled in and had a rest.

Here are some pics.
    scaled.php?server=138&filename=wp000074w.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=703&filename=wp000076j.jpg&res=landing

scaled.php?server=849&filename=wp000079v.jpg&res=landing

Here is a pic of what the surface rock is like.
    Lots of slate and sedimentary rock types. I did find red rock in streaks in the rock faces. Its quite heavy. Not sure if this is volcanic. I cracked a few other rocks and found iron ores and other bits. There was some yellow and even very green rock. I think i will make my way to the stream without the dog next time. Fun Fun
    scaled.php?server=818&filename=wp000080r.jpg&res=landing

• Advertisement

I went for a hike up Loch guitane along the river today. There is penty of signs of quartz and metamorphic rock in the river bed. Its a very ancient river also.

No luck really with finding some gold but i get a strange feeling the area could be hiding some secrets as there is lots of yellowish vegetation and stunted trees.

The river, location and environment is very similar to pics i've seen of the goldmines river if that means anything.

I did have the time to do lots of samples but i actually spent most of my time talking to the wild sheep. lol.

I'll go back there with some proper gear next time. Such a pretty area!

bogwalrus, check out gold panning association of Ireland at http://gpaireland.ie/ A recent discovery for me but packed full of a lovely bunch of lads with loads of knowledge and enthusiasm

Thanks for that. I actually found a load of gold in a mountain valley in Cork. I am now a millionaire of course. (em no). After a fair bit of reading up it seems gold mineralisation is really all that there is in Ireland so i would need a microscope on my hiking trips up mountains. I still do pick up stones as I take walks and google what sort of rock it is. I'm planning a gold panning holiday in the states soon enough. You can rent a caravan and use all equipment on site. I am hoping the holiday pays for itself with the gold I find=)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 taffyz

hi, im in cork and just found out about recreational gold panning, did you have any luck around cork im looking to take my grand children for a bit of fun.

Advertisement