Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do we not build using thermal blocks?

Options
  • 25-09-2020 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Family member sent me photos of a house he's building. I noticed from the photos that the blocks were 9 inch thermal blocks which to me seemed like a really good idea. Insulated aerated etc.

Would it not make sense to use these as standard, other than cost is there any reason for not using them or are 4 inch "just the way we do things in Ireland"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Were they thermal blocks or Breeze blocks?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Were they thermal blocks or Breeze blocks?

Thermal blocks afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Its just that breeze blocks are very commonly used in the UK because they are cheap, they have the coal burning power stations that create the breeze.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Its just that breeze blocks are very commonly used in the UK because they are cheap, they have the coal burning power stations that create the breeze.

These are 9 inch thermal blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

These are 9 inch thermal blocks.

Cost?

• Advertisement

Dunno but in the grand scheme of things with a new build I expect that something like this would be standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There are other interesting products like clay blocks which got a bit of attention a few years ago but don't seem to have caught on.

IMO it's partly because the objective in modern construction is to achieve theoretical performance in a piece of software rather than actual performance over the life of the building.

Also, regular concrete has the real advantage of being both cheap and incredibly strong and durable which makes it much more idiot and accident proof to work with, both during and after construction.

So why would you choose materials which are more expensive and fragile when you can achieve the same theoretical whole building performance for less money with concrete, foam and complex ventilation systems? There are answers but they're not obvious.

Less rationally, there's the three little pigs mentality rooted in history and culture.

Advertisement