Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Attic conversion

Options
  • 03-06-2020 8:20pm

Hi All

Not sure if recommendations are allowed

I am looking at getting an attic conversion done in a two bedroom terraced house

If anyone has had an attic conversion done & can suggest someone for an Attic Conversion in the West Dublin/ North Kildare area I would be very grateful

Im hoping to get three quotes and take it from there

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

dazza70 wrote: »
    Hi All

I am looking at getting an attic conversion done in a two bedroom terraced house

If anyone has had an attic conversion done & can suggest someone for an Attic Conversion in the West Dublin/ North Kildare area I would be very grateful

Thanks

PM sent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi All

Thanks

Make sure whoever you choose are comfortable with this document.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C1657%2Cen.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If your on Facebook take a look at Whittaker Construction, they did ours recently and would recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Could you please give me a rough idea on how much it would cost to convert an attic of a 2 bed house?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

20k should get you started, depends on steel work etc.
    Fire regs will add as well
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/search/archived/current/category/housing/type/publications?query=loft%20conversion

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Could you please give me a rough idea on how much it would cost to convert an attic of a 2 bed house?

We paid ~€13,500 for the conversion but when you add in the price of tax, carpets, beds, paint, and wardrobes, light fittings etc. It ended up costing us close to €23,000. I don't regret it for one moment though, it was the best decision we made in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 colombes

Hello,
    Sorry to jump in but we are considering exactly the same but in the Limerick area. Anybody to recommend?
    Does an attic conversion requires planning permission and architect drawing or do the companies providing attic conversion services also support this part of the step?
    Thank you!

colombes wrote: »
    Hello,
    Sorry to jump in but we are considering exactly the same but in the Limerick area. Anybody to recommend?
    Does an attic conversion requires planning permission and architect drawing or do the companies providing attic conversion services also support this part of the step?
    Thank you!

Are you going to 3 storey from 2 storey?
    PP not required iff you don't change the profile of the building or stick in new windows.

http://www.housing.gov.ie/search/archived/current/category/housing/type/publications?query=loft%20conversion

However, you will need compliance with Building regs and structural drawings if doing steel work etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

sorry to high-jack the thread but we are looking at getting an attic conversion and have been quoted 20k approx. Just wondering if its worth the money as we plan on moving in the next year or two. But for that time it would free up an office space that I can work from home from... as this is how I will be working for the foreseeable future.
    Im just wondering if the 20k investment will be worth it when selling on the house in a year or two ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

sorry to high-jack the thread but we are looking at getting an attic conversion and have been quoted 20k approx. Just wondering if its worth the money as we plan on moving in the next year or two. But for that time it would free up an office space that I can work from home from... as this is how I will be working for the foreseeable future.
    Im just wondering if the 20k investment will be worth it when selling on the house in a year or two ?

Cheers

I'd definitely recommend it. As a buyer, I have always preferred a house with a nicely converted attic :)

• Advertisement

I'd definitely recommend it. As a buyer, I have always preferred a house with a nicely converted attic :)

IFF the work is done properly from a airtightness and insulation perspective, most are a disaster under these headings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

For me it was definitely worth it so I highly recommend it, it is the biggest room in the house and we have extra space in the eves for proper storage.

If I was to sell the house I expect to get back what I put into it ~20K no more and no less.

As above, watch that 20K spend as by the time you are finished painting, carpets, furniture etc. it is likely that it will be closer to 25K.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lchang

For me it was definitely worth it so I highly recommend it, it is the biggest room in the house and we have extra space in the eves for proper storage.

If I was to sell the house I expect to get back what I put into it ~20K no more and no less.

As above, watch that 20K spend as by the time you are finished painting, carpets, furniture etc. it is likely that it will be closer to 25K.

I moved to my current house nearly 3 years ago. It was a brand new home. As I'm going to be working from home in the foreseeable future, I need to convert my attic in order to have an office space.
    As the house is only 3 years old, what are the implications on the 10 year warranty bond scheme?
    Do you know if I need to advise my mortgage lender and my insurer on the changes?
    Will the BER rating of my property remain the same provided the work is done properly?

lchang wrote: »
    I moved to my current house nearly 3 years ago. It was a brand new home. As I'm going to be working from home in the foreseeable future, I need to convert my attic in order to have an office space.
    As the house is only 3 years old, what are the implications on the 10 year warranty bond scheme?
    Do you know if I need to advise my mortgage lender and my insurer on the changes?
    Will the BER rating of my property remain the same provided the work is done properly?

Structural warranty may be null and void as you have made substantial alterations to the structural fabric of the building.

Mortgage lender doesn’t need to know. They won’t do anything with the info.

Insurer will need to be notified as is additional floor space and in theory the cost to rebuild is higher along with higher contents value.

BER will be effected as you’ve altered the thermal envelope. So the volume of the space has increased. Technically you’d need a new BER should you wish to sell or rent out the property. Also, as the house is only 3 years old, it should have some form of air tightness later so careful considering to the route of the new layer around the attic suave and associated insulation and ventilation needs to be done to ensure continuity.

Also, as the house is only 3 years old, it should have some form of air tightness later so careful considering to the route of the new layer around the attic suave and associated insulation and ventilation needs to be done to ensure continuity.

Apologies, care to explain this better? I'm totally useless on this subject and English is not my mother tongue😉

lchang wrote: »
    Also, as the house is only 3 years old, it should have some form of air tightness later so careful considering to the route of the new layer around the attic suave and associated insulation and ventilation needs to be done to ensure continuity.

Apologies, care to explain this better? I'm totally useless on this subject and English is not my mother tongue��

A membrane or other product that reduces the amount of uncontrolled air leakage. Google air tight membrane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Cheers
    Just looking for a few more opinions on this guys before we commit. We will be moving to a new home in under two years id say but the extra space is kind of needed as soon as possible. Again the query is whether the 20k investment would be recouped on the house when we sell it when we move? anyone anything else to add?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Just looking for a few more opinions on this guys before we commit. We will be moving to a new home in under two years id say but the extra space is kind of needed as soon as possible. Again the query is whether the 20k investment would be recouped on the house when we sell it when we move? anyone anything else to add?
    thanks

I’d doubt you’ll get the 20k back, house might be worth a bit more and probably make it a bit easier to sell. 20k will presumably only get you a room that isn’t technically okay to use as a bedroom as I’d think getting it up to liveable standards by the regs would cost a good bit more.

thanks

By the way prices of houses are going up I'd imagine that you would be able to recoup the majority of the 20k. However, the 20k does not include the floors, painting, etc. I'm doing with a toilet and costs will certainly surpass the 30k mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KaiserSochez

Hi All

Thanks

Wondering if you went ahead with this and how did it turn out? Any recommendation on company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

Think we are just about to go ahead with converting our attic & putting an ensuite as well. I contacted the company recommended here for a quote & asked about turning a conservatory into an extension. He asked me to send on pics & then never replied. I e-mailed him again to see if he could give me a price but no reply.

Got a recommendation from a friend of a friend for someone who did theirs & they said they did a great job & then converted others in the estate after. when I tried looking them up all I could find was a facebook group set up by people who had been scammed by them & they don't exists anymore.

We're probably going to go with 5 star attics now. Anyone had theirs done by them? They've good reviews & videos on their facebook page all look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Did you find someone so you could go ahead with your attic conversion? We're looking at it at the moment and the quote is fairly steep. 30k for standard conversion(no ensuite) and nearly 42k for a dormer conversion. Not surprising with the increases in material and labour costs in the last 2 years. We've a recent build with A3 BER rating so they've assured us with their method of using spray foam and air tight membrane we should be able to maintain an A rating.

We have just put a booking deposit down & will hopefully have it done in May/June.

I asked about spray foam insulation when booking it. He said he was approached to use it but he refuse as he has researched it & refuses to use it. His opinion was that even though they say it is breathable the foam is filling the space so there is no where for the moisture to go so it sits on the rafters & they rot. There is 1 company that I spoke to a few years ago at the ideal homes show who completely fill the space in the rafters because the foam is breathable. I would be wary based on what he said, but that was his opinion from his own research. If you go with spray foam insulation I would make sure they leave a gap.

We'll be getting 50mm PIR board insulation & 50mm warm boards on the ceiling. I'll send you a PM with the name & prices I got as not sure if we can post them here.

Why 50mm pie then 50mm warmboard?

The warm board will be breached for every cable and light fitting?

What size rafters are there? Why not out all the insulation in one plane (between the rafters?)

The rafters are 100mm. He said regulations mean you need to leave a 50mm gap to allow for ventilation. The PIR & warm boards he said was to give the best insulation for the room.

Will the 100mm rafters be staying place after the conversion?

Has Ty engineer designed them to stay?

99% of attic conversion sim in will see the floor and rafter’s beefed up, so essentially a deeper rafter bolted/screwed to the existing smaller rafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Most attic conversions in older home's are only "storage space". Unless you get rolled steel joints, raise the roof to the standard height and a install fire door you can't class it as a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Slashs hat

Hi there,

I'm in the process of buying a house and our surveyor report has come back stating the following issue regarding the attic conversion.

The report states:

'There was no evidence of significant structural issues at the time of the survey, however, a reappraisal (Certificate of Exemption from Planning and Compliance with Part A (Structure) of the Building Regulations should be obtained for the attic conversion works) of the attic conversion works is advised by a Chartered Structural Engineer and recertification with Building Regulations obtained prior to the exchange of contracts.

The existing Opinion on Compliance with Planning and Building Regulations document provided by XXXXX in April 2009 is not sufficient and a full appraisal of the conversion should be carried out by a Chartered Structural Engineer engaged by the Vendor prior to the exchange of contracts

Essential there report outlines:

To the front of the roof, the trusses were configured in such a way that support to the rafters has not been compromised, however, to the rear, truss webs have been cut away and timber uprights functioning as rafter supports installed in their place which is an unsatisfactory arrangement. This has potentially significantly compromised the structural integrity of the roof. Timber beams spanning across the width of the dwelling provide support to a new floor.

As most of the works were covered at the time of the survey, a full appraisal of the conversion should be carried out by a Chartered Structural Engineer.

Any advice would be great.

Many thanks

Advertisement