Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is CTYI? *new*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

You pay for vending machine drinks?
    Nonono. That was a hypothetical situation. A metaphor. To explain to those people who've never been CTYI-ers, and dont understand the subtle difference between helping yourself...and stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Damn right! Paying is for peple who can afford to. If you can't afford to then don't bother. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have whatever it is you can't afford. *realisation dawns*
    /goes off to steal shotgun and Les Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

No, my child! You must not... For that is not the Shaolin way...

*blam!!!!!*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Blam?

Who are you, Adam West???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

<Dodges bullet>

Oh! Oh you going down.

<rips out dave's heart>
    ha ha ha ha... okay I think I've made my point.
    <puts heart back>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Katie-Bob

CTYI is a place where you have a hell of a lot of fun and do things that well nobody will no about when you get home. Its a chance to actually talk to people like you and make v funny friends. I just wish you didn't have to stop going when you are 16. Its sure as hell better than where I live (I can't say where cos people could beat the crap out of me.....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Mysteryfish

if ctyi is so great, than how do you go to one and when are they on? please explain. i think my friend went to one but i still don't know much about them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

First, you must take the SAT1 reasoning test, or something. Then, you must do well and get over a certain score in relation to your age.
    Um... wow, I can barely remember... well, they'll tell you if you're eligible. There are many courses you can do run by CTYI, but the one everyone raves about here is the summer course. Of which there are 2 sessions, somewhere between june/july/august, each just under 3 weeks long. They rock, basically. I won't go into detail becuase this entire thread is nearly just trying to explain the awesomeness of it all.

Apologies for errors...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

In a phrase CTYI is:
    "A 3 week orgasm for the mind"
    yes that's right, I said orgasm, what a dirty word!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Damn good description. DAMN GOOD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Well of course it is.

BTW Podge really doesn't like your signature and if you're referring to that French film, let's face it, it wasn't that good, it was just arty. Please don't make this thread into a film debate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

ctyi is to the real world as masturbation is to sex

Take what ya want from that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

ColHol wrote:
    ctyi is to the real world as masturbation is to sex

Take what ya want from that

Not entierly accurate......

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭smiley_knees

Hey, random question.

Is it just me or are CTYIers in general prettier than non-nerds? Like, most of the guys on campus had a cool, rocker type vibe goin' and a lot of girls on campus were very pretty...

Granted, I live in a bog and see skags all day. But, in general, the majority of peoples on campus had a unique look and were for the most part hot....

Meh, whatever... I think I'll just chalk this ramble up to exam stress. Stupid chemistry *grumbles* :mad:

No. You're wrong there. For the most part, it was packed with ugly. The noticeable thing was that the attractive people were extremely attractive, and mostly strangely attractive, thereby making them all the better. Also, about everyone there had a whole lot of confidence, and were great people, which made them pretty appealing.

Ps. No offence meant by this post.
    Pps. I seem pretty shallow here, I'm not. And also, I'm not saying I'm the most attractive person in the world (Although that is what I believe). I'm merely commenting on a looks only basis, I dont judge people like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

no i totally agree with ya colm. however, relating to girls in ctyi, a lot of them (i'm not generalising here i swear) just don't use makeup. whereas a lot of teenage girls in the real world do.

Not necessarily better if they do. To be honest, I prefer most girls without. I said most. Also, Too much make up is much much worse than too little. (Damn Oompa Loompas.)

When you say Oompa Loompas you refer to the stereotypical D4 girl or actual Oompa Loompas? That needs to be clarified.

And CTYI can't have been that attractive. I know I brought down the average like a brick and chain anyway. :p

D4 rugger bugger hookers.

And chains arent that heavy.

• Advertisement

This one is! :rolleyes:

i knew someone would say they prefer girls without makeup! but the reality is (speaking as someone who knows what girls' faces look like... both with and without makeup... one of my many talents) that it takes a really, really, really goodlooking girl to look stunning without makeup. like, an abnormally goodlooking girl. foundation just smoothes everything out.

but yes, D4 rugger huggers DO wear extremely orange foundation/bronzer. i blame the makeup manufacturers.

Many a girl have I seen without make up. Many have looked terrible. Some look great. those that look better look much better. Anyway, main point is that make up should be subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

half my class were so much foundation that they look like clowns.when one girl didnt wear hers one day every teacher asks was she ok. they thought she was sick cause she looked so much paler thatn usual

girls in my class GHD their hair and touchup their fecking 40 euro foundation every second class. so the teachers know what to expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭americanCat

to me.. CTYI is *the best place in the world* !!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CTYI this article is pathetic, i don't know who wrote it but someone should do something about it (someone who isn't me, so i can't be blamed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

"It is sometimes referred to as 'Nerd Camp' by its students."

^^ why is that in the encyclopedia yoke?
    ???

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

The wikipedia is an encyclopedia which can be edited by anyone, a CTYIer must have added the the definition originally, someone else probably added the nerd camp bit afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

doonothing wrote:
    "It is sometimes referred to as 'Nerd Camp' by its students."
    That is way unfair, its actually nerd COLLEGE. Jesus, some ppl.....

Advertisement