Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Nest Hub - €58.53 (exp 9 Mar 2021 at 4:00 pm)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

It works nicely with the Nest thermostat too ... just sayin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

This could turn out the most expensive BA yet :)

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

keith_d99 wrote: »
    It works nicely with the Nest thermostat too ... just sayin :D

I've had a nest thermostat in years gone by. Hated it. Too slow to recognise it was cold, too slow to recognise it was warm enough. Home/away had me at home while in the pub, and the smart learning algorithm decided Baltic cold was the order of the day for the morning time. Swapped it out for a sonof basic, a Xiaomi temperature sensor and some home assistant automation.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Barr wrote: »
    I think you just verbalised ,what half us were thinking

I thought I'd get away with it since I don't have a wired doorbell, but nest got to covered for that. Just €60 for a power supply

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

McMurphy wrote: »
    Anyone figured out how to create a live photo album yet with Google photos?

I've watched numerous YouTube videos, but the option isn't there on my app no matter what I do. :confused:

I think you just create an album in Google photos first. Call it Google nest album or something and then you set this in the settings on the nest. Be aware however that it downloads the image each time it appears so you can burn through a bit of data if that is San issue for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭mun1

cuculainn wrote: »
    I think you just create an album in Google photos first. Call it Google nest album or something and then you set this in the settings on the nest. Be aware however that it downloads the image each time it appears so you can burn through a bit of data if that is San issue for you

Yes, i had loads of photos in google photos but hub couldn’t see them. When i setup a new album in google photos and put some photos in it worked a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭93Cab

Got mine yesterday! After much fiddling through the menu got a Jam Heavy Metal Bluetooth speaker connected! I haven’t enjoyed a piece of tech as much as this ever! I won’t show my age by revealing the music I got it to play on Spotify Premium but spent a very pleasant evening with a few beers listening to music I hadn’t heard for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

I thought I'd get away with it since I don't have a wired doorbell, but nest got to covered for that. Just €60 for a power supply

Which power supply did you get? I see there's one on the US Google Store, but I couldn't find a Google-approved one for our sockets (though I'm sure there are third-party solutions that work fine).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

cuculainn wrote: »

Don't think so, I tried this when I initially got it, and it (the hub) directed me to use the app to set it up, but again, there's no "automatically add photos" option there. I actually think the love album feature might only be available in the USA.

Pity, I was planning on sending my parents a hub set up with a live album that they could keep in their sitting room, and I could update it regularly with photos of us and the kids (they live on the other end of the island to us, and we haven't seen them since Feb2020 due to lockdowns and restrictions)

On another note though, just be very very careful with the facial recognition feature.

If like me, you have some friends that send you the occasional WhatsApp that might have let's say "photos of an erotic nature"....

Use your imagination on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Don't think so, I tried this when I initially got it, and it (the hub) directed me to use the app to set it up, but again, there's no "automatically add photos" option there. I actually think the love album feature might only be available in the USA.

Pity, I was planning on sending my parents a hub set up with a live album that they could keep in their sitting room, and I could update it regularly with photos of us and the kids (that live on the other end of the island to us, and we haven't seen them since Feb2020 due to lockdowns and restrictions)

On another note though, just be very very careful with the facial recognition feature.

If like me, you have some friends that send you the occasional WhatsApp that might have let's say "photos of an erotic nature"....

Use your imagination on that one.

Nobody in their right mind would give Google Photos access to their WhatsApp messages.

• Advertisement

Nobody in their right mind would give Google Photos access to their WhatsApp messages.

Yeah, thankfully I'm in my right mind now though. The photos were from ages ago, not sure if you could even prevent it then.

I usually am pretty good at deleting them straight away, and have asked folk not to be sending them, but the odd one got through by the looks of things.

Noticed Thursday morning, was tagging faces, and there was the brothers wife.... Labelled her face with her name, scrolled through the photos, and there was about half a dozen that clearly weren't her. :eek:

Delete delete delete!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Depends if you're WhatsApp photos and videos are pure filth or not. I delete the filth but most of the WhatsApp photos would be of my family and friends, they'd be nice to look back on in years.

Depends if you're WhatsApp photos and videos are pure filth or not. I delete the filth but most of the WhatsApp photos would be of my family and friends, they'd be nice to look back on in years.

Most of my WhatsApp stuff would be just disposable memes. Any photos I want I just save them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Pity, I was planning on sending my parents a hub set up with a live album that they could keep in their sitting room, and I could update it regularly with photos of us and the kids (they live on the other end of the island to us, and we haven't seen them since Feb2020 due to lockdowns and restrictions)

Does this mean that if I have an album in Google Photos that I add to the Hub it won't update in the Hub when I add new photos to the album?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Does this mean that if I have an album in Google Photos that I add to the Hub it won't update in the Hub when I add new photos to the album?

If you add photos to an album they show up on the hub.

Redsoxfan wrote: »

No, just with a "live album" it means that you can select photos of people or pets that you might regularly share with others - in my case I'd like to share pics of my 4 children with my folks who are 250km away on the other side of the country.

Everytime I took a photo of one of my kids - it would automatically get added to this live album, without me manually having to add and share it to my parents album.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/blog.google/products/photos/keep-your-favorite-photos-date-live-albums/amp/

Kind of a first world problem I suppose, but it would be a nice touch I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Finally decided to order one, but it's now Out of Stock. That'll teach me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,258 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In IOS if you go into the group details you can set it do it doesn’t save photos. So keep family photos and don’t save ones from group with the NSFW stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

I've had a nest thermostat in years gone by. Hated it. Too slow to recognise it was cold, too slow to recognise it was warm enough. Home/away had me at home while in the pub, and the smart learning algorithm decided Baltic cold was the order of the day for the morning time. Swapped it out for a sonof basic, a Xiaomi temperature sensor and some home assistant automation.

Would you mind sharing more details on your current setup? Sounds interesting.

I'm probably derailing the thread here so feel to PM. Thanks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Balls, decided to buy another and it's now out of stock at the reduced price:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

The one gripe I have is I can't get 2FM playing on tune in . I’ve tried saying different variations like RTE 2fm etc but it doesn’t work

I had the exact same issue with my older google home . Is everyone else in the same boat ? Its just a bit of a pain :(. Is there any workaround

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

The one gripe I have is I can't get 2FM playing on tune in . I’ve tried saying different variations like RTE 2fm etc but it doesn’t work

I had the exact same issue with my older google home . Is everyone else in the same boat ? Its just a bit of a pain :(. Is there any workaround

Strange! I don't have a problem with it. 'Hey Google, stream RTE 2FM' works fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

'Play Dublin RTE 2FM' works best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Had the same issue myself but then took a look on the RTE website. Found out 2FM is now called 2XM.

I can only assume Google can't properly understand monaghanmissus and just lucks out on the result :pac:

Had the same issue myself but then took a look on the RTE website. Found out 2FM is now called 2XM.

I can only assume Google can't properly understand monaghanmissus and just lucks out on the result :pac:

2XM is a sister station to 2FM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

2XM is a different station, as per the list of stations available on the website and APP

546249.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Oops. I don't listen to the radio at all but came across 2XM the other day when trying the same thing as Barr. The Nest couldn'd find 2FM for me either.

Oops. I don't listen to the radio at all but came across 2XM the other day when trying the same thing as Barr. The Nest couldn'd find 2FM for me either.

'Play Dublin RTE 2FM' works perfectly...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

Balls, decided to buy another and it's now out of stock at the reduced price:(

This! Pain in the hole indecision! :pac:

Edit: Although I've just saved myself €60. Bargain! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

PARlance wrote: »
    'Play Dublin RTE 2FM' works best

Thanks - good to know. Not that I listen to 2FM really.

I notice to get Newstalk you need to ask "Play Newstalk FM". Play Newstalk fails.

Advertisement