Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CONSTRUCTION LOCKDOWN JAN 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

sydthebeat wrote: »
    to be fair, if they are pouring them because they already had the insulation / pluming pipework installed before the notification of the lockdown..... and leaving it that, that then i wouldn't be too hard on them.

no point leaving expensive insulation to get destroyed in the rain for 4 weeks.

if they have a block layer out after, then thats a different story though.

Last lockdown my house roof timbers were exposed for 12 weeks and i couldnt do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

sydthebeat wrote: »
    to be fair, if they are pouring them because they already had the insulation / pluming pipework installed before the notification of the lockdown..... and leaving it that, that then i wouldn't be too hard on them.

no point leaving expensive insulation to get destroyed in the rain for 4 weeks.

if they have a block layer out after, then thats a different story though.

Thats where the rules dont mean jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whats the consequence for these guys breaking the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

whats the consequence for these guys breaking the rules

I'm not exactly sure ... and there lies the problem the guidelines are so open to interpretation its a joke really.
    My own set up is with out any mortage relief this time around I have to work these few weeks some how as safe as possible.
    All the bills still have to be paid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

I'm seeing a lot of places open that I thought would have come under the construction and manufacture category and that they should be closed. I don't see them as essential. The company I work for is still open and I don't believe we are essential. The boss has said some of the work we do is essential so everyone is in work. Part of me feels I should report it but maybe I am misunderstanding the guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Hi All,

Are builders allowed into houses to finish a job at the moment? We a small refurb job going on over 6 months now.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,978 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

housing construction and
    completion works ongoing on the 8
    th day of January 2021 where
    such works are scheduled to be
    completed by the 31st day of
    January 2021 and will render the
    home under construction capable
    of occupation by that date;

so only if you are going to be occupying the house by 31st Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

My plan to finish off the roof in my house and secure it for the lockdown has taken a bit of setback as one of the chippies on site got COVID....its out there people.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

4 Positives on one of the -snip- sites.

I personally talked to a safety officer yesterday from one of the sites that has a roaming role were he is over several sites including ours and he has since tested positive.

Stuff like that is careless nobody should be on multiple sites anymore.

Also overtime on our site has been ramped up and we have took in men from sites that have been closed.

Not sure why they bothered if they're going to cram them onto otherwise safe sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Anyone know who is enforcing or monitoring site lockdowns? We’ve all our staff off for the rest of the month as our work is all private sites but noticing plenty of similar sites open locally.Plus half the staff have taken on nixers for while they are off work .
    pointless lockdown if it’s not enforced

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I reckon the hsa May retrospectively get involved.

Be interesting to hear from anyone dealing with hsa currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

It doesn't seem as though anything is being monitored. I could easily have gone ahead with our home renovation job as it's 3 lads - and don't expect anyone would have actually pulled us up on it. It's unfortunately up to people to be responsible and do the right thing but as we know, that doesn't happen in a lot of cases. As is always the case, some people comply and some simply do not. It's no different here.

The legislation is clear in my opinion. I don't think it's that open to interpretation. It's pretty clear cut. If someone is determined to go ahead they will try to twist their interpretation of the legislation until it fits their agenda. But they are likely not compliant and it's an insurance risk possibly if something unfortunate occurs.

Ironically, arguably the most dangerous phase of a private job is the last few weeks where the house is sealed up and you'd have multiple different contractors on site finishing up. That's allowed to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

scwazrh wrote: »
    Anyone know who is enforcing or monitoring site lockdowns? We’ve all our staff off for the rest of the month as our work is all private sites but noticing plenty of similar sites open locally.Plus half the staff have taken on nixers for while they are off work .
    pointless lockdown if it’s not enforced

As far as I can see construction is still open everywhere except for private housing estates which makes no sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    It doesn't seem as though anything is being monitored. I could easily have gone ahead with our home renovation job as it's 3 lads - and don't expect anyone would have actually pulled us up on it. It's unfortunately up to people to be responsible and do the right thing but as we know, that doesn't happen in a lot of cases. As is always the case, some people comply and some simply do not. It's no different here.

The legislation is clear in my opinion. I don't think it's that open to interpretation. It's pretty clear cut. If someone is determined to go ahead they will try to twist their interpretation of the legislation until it fits their agenda. But they are likely not compliant and it's an insurance risk possibly if something unfortunate occurs.

Ironically, arguably the most dangerous phase of a private job is the last few weeks where the house is sealed up and you'd have multiple different contractors on site finishing up. That's allowed to continue.

thats the part that doesnt make sense.
    i have a house to roof. everything is there ready to role but we arnt alowed to do it. basically 3 guys in the middle of a field hundreds of yards from the next house. but i could go work on an almost finished house with loads of guys on site and not a bit of ventilation or social distancing
    i have 2 weeks work i can do aswell 2nd fixing a house. im not allowed because they wont moving in for a while. its madness. im sitting at home colecting money when i could be out making money and doing so perfectly safely

What are people's thoughts about the possibility of a potential easing of restrictions on Construction? The Indo were speculating a 50 50 chance of restrictions carrying on until March!!

Personally I am hoping against hope they allow private residential jobs to go ahead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

What are people's thoughts about the possibility of a potential easing of restrictions on Construction? The Indo were speculating a 50 50 chance of restrictions carrying on until March!!

Personally I am hoping against hope they allow private residential jobs to go ahead

This came out of the Sunday Independent:

Senior govt figures say that a decision on whether full school and construction reopening at the start of February will depend on 3 critical factors
    1. Reducing case numbers to significantly low numbers
    2. Cutting ICU numbers to around 50 at any one time
    3. Vaccinating as many of the 700,000 of the most vulnerable and frontline healthcare workers

1. Not sure what number is significantly low but I assume under 1000. Won’t happen by Feb 1st.
    2 - definitely will not happen by Feb 1st . There are currently almost 200 and rising
    3. Not a hope

(reposted)

Thanks. If that's true then it's really going to test people's resolve to comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

Looks like the lockdown for construction is going to continue into March. Not that you would notice here in Louth. Two private houses have continued & 3 housing estates, 1 of which though is social housing. One developer has even gone to the trouble of putting black material over the scaffolding and black bin bags up on the windows. You can still see the guys in their hi viz vests!

very frustrating as I have a build on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Don keebals

Have they said construction will not open until march? I haven't heard anything about construction reopening I thought they would review it at the end of January , I am trying to plan my work schedule and if this isn't happening I can do something about the house if I know I'm not working for the next few weeks.

• Advertisement

Have they said construction will not open until march? I haven't heard anything about construction reopening I thought they would review it at the end of January , I am trying to plan my work schedule and if this isn't happening I can do something about the house if I know I'm not working for the next few weeks.

no they have not said construction is closed till march

they have said that construction is one of the sectors they are still considering for a different approach

LCD wrote: »
    Looks like the lockdown for construction is going to continue into March. Not that you would notice here in Louth. Two private houses have continued & 3 housing estates, 1 of which though is social housing. One developer has even gone to the trouble of putting black material over the scaffolding and black bin bags up on the windows. You can still see the guys in their hi viz vests!

very frustrating as I have a build on hold.

Same here. They can obviously get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

For houses that remained open on the basis of them being habitatable for 31st Jan, where the project did not achieve that date due to delays can they remain open next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

mickey15ie wrote: »
    For houses that remained open on the basis of them being habitatable for 31st Jan, where the project did not achieve that date due to delays can they remain open next week?

No -
    Have to have practical completion for the 31st

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

What's the situation with quarries? Are they delivering as normal or are they limited to essential works only?

has anyone else heard that if cases stay below 1000 for a number of days that construction will be allowed to reopen?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

mickey15ie wrote: »
    has anyone else heard that if cases stay below 1000 for a number of days that construction will be allowed to reopen?

No didn't hear that.

There is so much Construction going on that I don't see the government changing it.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    No didn't hear that.

There is so much Construction going on that I don't see the government changing it.

Surely there's more stopped than going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Surely there's more stopped than going on?

Not many construction workers idle from what I can see.

Most are working away at something.

Advertisement