Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meghan & Harry: WE QUIT

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'd love to know how he'll get a mortgage with no job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

He has a 30 million inheritance from Diana so mortgage no worries

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Headline on tomorrow's Sun: MEGXIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Money from Diana and they get a share of Nana's trust fund every few years. Never will be a short of a bob

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You can hardly call her “black”.

PoCish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

You know they've been just waiting to use that headline since they got married.
    How come Kate Middleton didn't/doesn't get the same treatment as Meghan markle seemed to get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Supposedly Prince Charles has big plans to scale the whole thing back when he takes over. Lots of peripheral family members are going to have titles and duties taken away from them apart from those in immediate line to take the throne. The statement from the royal family seems shocked/pissed off, but maybe in the grand scheme of things, they weren't going to have much to do anyway once Charles gets the top job.
    The issue with it seems to be that they want to keep their titles and make money off them? That's hardly allowed, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I think Meghan is out to make a statement.
    She came in all guns blazing trying to make her mark and do things differently and be seen to be trying to modernise the monarchy.
    I feel she really took inspiration from the likes of #Metoo and #Timesup and Greta Thurnburg to try and push this as a time for change and that she would be instrumental in that change.
    I personally think the monarchy is very stuffy and a serious cost to the UK state but at the same time I see her as acting like the smart ass kid in the class who thinks they know more than the teacher.
    If they're stepping aside from the monarchy, they need to give up their titles and their Windsor Castle home plus pay for their own security detail going forward.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Why is Meghan Markle disliked?

Fuck knows. Various derpy reasons are given. She can’t win, no matter what she does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I could never understand some people's obsession with the Royal family in this country.

It's truly baffling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    You know they've been just waiting to use that headline since they got married.
    How come Kate Middleton didn't/doesn't get the same treatment as Meghan markle seemed to get ?
    English and not American, white and not mixed race, not a divorcee, a "commoner" but still from a posh family, very quiet and lacking controversy/opinion (although I don't know of anything particularly opinionated about Meghan - the cheek to be a former career woman I suppose... or is it gold digger?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Be right back

I think Meghan is out to make a statement.
    She came in all guns blazing trying to make her mark and do things differently and be seen to be trying to modernise the monarchy.
    I feel she really took inspiration from the likes of #Metoo and #Timesup and Greta Thurnburg to try and push this as a time for change and that she would be instrumental in that change.
    I personally think the monarchy is very stuffy and a serious cost to the UK state but at the same time I see her as acting like the smart ass kid in the class who thinks they know more than the teacher.
    If they're stepping aside from the monarchy, they need to give up their titles and their Windsor Castle home plus pay for their own security detail going forward.

I think she thought she could modernise it and when she couldn't, decided to cut their losses and leave. Apparently they have surprised the monarchy big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

matchthis wrote: »
    Seems to be a sound lad

Harry totally smitten with Meghan, will do anything for her, good on them both quitting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Harry totally smitten with Meghan, will do anything for her, good on them both quitting

Many an idiot will do anything for their ball and chain, and some of them are very divisive and trifling. Sad for their families in these instances, but sometimes it’s a case of make your own bed.... lie in it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭amacca

I had to raise an eyebrow at the becoming "financially independent" line

As if they wouldn't be without having to lift a finger even after severing all ties.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Tomorrow's UK papers are also reporting they didn't even notify the Queen in advance and that Charles and William are said to be 'furious'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

amacca wrote: »
    I had to raise an eyebrow at the becoming "financially independent" line

As if they wouldn't be without having to lift a finger even after severing all ties.

Does this mean they won't have anyone to put their pyjamas on for them now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

screamer wrote: »
    Many an idiot will do anything for their ball and chain, and some of them are very divisive and trifling. Sad for their families in these instances, but sometimes it’s a case of make your own bed.... lie in it

It reminds me a bit of Edward and Wallis Simpson (though quite a few historians reckon Edward was a complete waster and no loss at all to the monarchy).

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sounds like an Asylum film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

He's like a ventriloquist's doll, he'll do what she says. Can't see that marriage lasting though.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Tomorrow's UK papers are also reporting they didn't even notify the Queen in advance and that Charles and William are said to be 'furious'.

Ah that won't help things. I mean she's not the first American to be involved with the firm or the establishment over there. I mean fair enough the last American who married into the royal family didn't work that well but still. And wasn't Churchills mother American ?

He's like a ventriloquist's doll, he'll do what she says. Can't see that marriage lasting though.

I'd say that's why the child didn't get a title of any kind.

At least he speaks. Unlike the mannequin that is the future queen.

Strazdas wrote: »
    It reminds me a bit of Edward and Wallis Simpson (though quite a few historians reckon Edward was a complete waster and no loss at all to the monarchy).

And Simpson ultimately regretted the whole thing as she ended up with just a boring old man- the whole royalty thing was gone.

Pleasing Meagan today will likely lead to a lifetime of mediocrity for both of them- they will both regret it in different ways I think as the dynamic of their relation to date is wrapped up in the mystique of royalty- take that away and the cracks will quickly appear.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    At least he speaks. Unlike the mannequin that is the future queen.
    Which one of them ? There's two future queens ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

PressRun wrote: »
    Supposedly Prince Charles has big plans to scale the whole thing back when he takes over. Lots of peripheral family members are going to have titles and duties taken away from them apart from those in immediate line to take the throne. The statement from the royal family seems shocked/pissed off, but maybe in the grand scheme of things, they weren't going to have much to do anyway once Charles gets the top job.
    The issue with it seems to be that they want to keep their titles and make money off them? That's hardly allowed, is it?

Apparently they weren't supposed to be part of the scaling back, that was going to be more peripheral royals. Harry was always supposed to be a part of the core monarchy alongside William. That was the plan anyway but that's been scuppered now.

I dont particularly care for the royal family, but from a celeb gossip/scandal point of view this is all very interesting, even more so that will be in the history books eventually

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Which one of them ? There's two future queens ?

William's wooden doll

And Simpson ultimately regretted the whole thing as she ended up with just a boring old man- the whole royalty thing was gone.

Pleasing Meagan today will likely lead to a lifetime of mediocrity for both of them- they will both regret it in different ways I think as the dynamic of their relation to date is wrapped up in the mystique of royalty- take that away and the cracks will quickly appear.

It wasn't as if the duke and duchess of Windsor were on the scrapheap after the abdication and she did stay with the fomer Edward VIII all his life so there must have been something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

An actual progressive Royal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Wow. Prince Andrew has been cancelled, now we have Mexit. I wonder if interest will wane, my English friends are all pro royal though, they love them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement