Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skatepark costing

Options
  • 10-07-2003 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Heres the text of a mail I've just sent to Fingal and Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Councils in regard to the gross over estimation of costs in the feasability study carried out by Fingal coco.

"In the interests of forwarding the goal of providing Dublin with public skatepark facilities as allready provided in both Waterford and Galway, I would like to draw your attention to the following.
    Last year Fingal county council produced a feasability study on the provision of skateparks BSA/308/02 13/06 (http://www.fingalcoco.ie/minutes/2002/Bsa/0613/BSA20020308.htm ).
    In this document the estimated total cost of providing and running a skatepark for one year was deemed to be 437,915 euro. I believe this figure is far in excess of the real cost and can only discourage councils from proceeding with plans for these much needed facilities.I would like to point out the following over-estimations.
    First aid/supervisors station € 40,000
    In Waterford skatepark a simple wooden garden shed is used as the supervisors station and proves to be perfectly adequate ,as the facility is outdoors and cannot be used in wet weather and any serious injuries ( other than cuts and grazes) should be directed to the local hospital I cannot see the need for a station costing 40'000 euro.
    Skatepark equipment,
    1 No. 1.5m half pipe

1 No. 1.8m starter platform

1 No. 1.8m quarter pipe

1 No. 2 level quarter pipe

2 No. 3m ollie box

2 No. 4m curb

1 No. 1m ramp

1 No. fun box – slide, rail, curb

95,275 euro

I have recieved 3 quotes in all for the supply of the above equipment

one from Five-O skateramps http://www.fiveoskateboarding.com for

35,000 euro

and two from Rhino ramps http://www.rhino-ramps.com of Belgium distributed through Wooden Delights Ltd of Galway http://www.woodendelights.ie

for 43,409 euro (3.66m wide ramps)

and 53,015 euro (4.88m wide ramps)

Both of these companies produce very high quality equipment to the highest safety certification (Rospa and TUV) .All their equipment is fire / weather and vandalproof and utilises the latest materials including Skatelite tm surface material. I fail to see how the above list of equipment could cost as much as twice the above quotes unless it is to be constructed in concrete and even at that it's still way overpriced.

As regards supervision of the facility the document states " The Councils insurers have stated that to supervise the facility and to inspect boards and safety equipment adequately there must be trained supervisor/inspector for every 6 participants"

and then later states "It should be noted that the insurers may demand a level of supervision equivalent to that required at creches which is one supervisor per 7-9 children. This would increase the cost of running the facility quite considerably".

If they currently demand 1 supervisor per 6 participants but may reduce this to 1 supervisor per 7-9 participants how would this reduce running costs !?

Irish Public Bodies Mutual Insurance provide the insurance for Waterford skatepark and do not make such stipulations as regards supervisor - participant ratio there why should they apply such in skateparks in Dublin. One supervisor is employed there and the park runs perfectly well , the average skateboarder is a 14yr old male and does not require the level of supervision present in a creche.

Repairs € 25,000

The cost of repairs is in fact nill as the maintenance contract including weekly inspections is included in the cost of supply of the equipment ( five-O skateramps ).

Thus the real cost of running a skatepark for a year including the provision of a 100,000 excess fund would be in the region of euro to 182,000 to 200,015 euro depending on the equipment supplier.

A saving of between 237,900 euro and 255,915 euro !!

Waterford in fact supplied their park for 100,000 euro .

The only skatepark I have ever heard of that cost the kind of money quoted in this feasability study is Ulladulla skatepark in Canberra Australia, the biggest concrete park in Australia at about the size of 2 football pitchs !

If figures like half million euro for a small skatepark are put forward to interested councils then Dublin will remain without a skatepark for another 30 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

We need to get a lot of people sending e-mail to let them know we are all aware of the ACTUAL costs and what is needed to run the places as opposed to some stupid departments "projected funding/spending for provision of a skatepark"

I think if we can raise money through one or two fundraising events and put this forward to them as well, they cannot refuse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You never mentioned the cost of the land needed for the skatepark.

But good luck anyway i may be older but i can still Ollie about 2 feet on a flat Barbie board :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, it's typical of the Irish way of doing things. Costs are overinflated, and if it's cheaper, they find ways to spend the excess.

Land is something not factored in. But it shoudl be possible to get a hold of an adequate barn in the middle of nowhere for 100 grand. There'd be no point in having it near Dublin, or renting. Too much cost.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shag

If the council are building it they'll be building on land they allready own no doubt. If the ISF are building it then hopefully we can buy the land cheap from the council seeing as we are doing their job for them! See my first post on insurance for more on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 twitchy

I don't understand how in England they can build council parks that are free to skate anytime without supervision and they can't do it here. I went to Dev Green in Sheffield last summer and there is no fence, or staff to pay wages to. Britain's not too far behind us when it comes to compo culture, and they've got a rake of free parks. How come they can do it and we can't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The skate-park (if you could call it that) in Waterford is an example of total cost-cutting. They got the cheapest ramps, pipes and put in on a miniscule piece of land that can only handle about 15 people at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shag

Waterford is more a case of wasting large amounts of cash than cost cutting. Just because you throw a load of money into it doesn't mean you'll get a good skatepark. The park cost €100'000 for that kind of moey they shouldve got a 16ft wide spine ramp and a street course 4 times the size!
    The company who built waterford are non skater run and charged 3 times what it should have cost with one of the worst designs of modular parks I've skated.
    What we have to concentrate on now is getting real skaters involved in the design process and making sure this doesn't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

A skatepark right outside Dublin Corpo. building is an ideal location. .. Can i bring my BMX..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hipchick

The reason skateparks would cost so much in this country is because as always we are following the American's in becoming a Sue nation.....

if you fall and its your own fault (as a lot of people out there are clumsey myself included) the first thing that comes into peoples head is "wonder how much i'd get for that" a lot of irish people are making claims to keep them..... We work they sit at home and see where there next claim is going to come from...

So like it or not that is pushing the price of everything up to the skies.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I know exactly what you mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

The reason skateparks would cost so much in this country is because as always we are following the American's in becoming a Sue nation.....
    so true. but its more than this. its also got a lot to do with the amount of cash paid out for these claims. i remember a friend who was expecting 4 grand from a claim got 7 and a half. we were shocked. (and he was well chuffed)

Well thats down to the government yet again they need to curb the payouts..England have a set payout for an injury and this should be the way it goes over here but as always the poor irish government don't know their ar** from their elbow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

yeah...

in england for a broken leg or arm, you can only get a maximum payout. Even if you die, a certain amount of compensation can't be exceeded. Over here €20,000 for shock is common. Until this compensation culture in ireland disappears, skateparks will have to continue closing their doors...

I think we should start a petition to demand that OUR government do what the public wants.......

Any hints for a small mobile skatepark???

Originally posted by hipchick

Any hints for a small mobile skatepark???
    mobile skatepark?! how would that work?

i suppose you could make the ramps/boxes/etc all in a modular fashion that allowed for the park to not only be assembled into a park but mayby assembled into boxes suitable for transporting. if ye catch what i mean...

Yes exactely what i was thinking...its not going to be a monster park just enough for a few kids to skate, there are no facilities where i live so have to try something...
    Have all the plans, going to put fold-up and lock wheels and also trying to get them to fold so you don't need a van to carry them around...

Think it will work am in the process of making them now for xmas

Just to let you now the ramps turned out really well, my little boy will be over the moon when he sees them...

Anyway just want to wish you all a very happy xmas, hope you all have good one!!

hipchick-> can u post some pics of your new park?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

the problem with a publicly funded skatepark is security. like all public access sites in ireland, security is an issue and you don't want scummers coming in and spraying "johnner waz here 2004" or "sk8erz iz ghey" or whatever all over the place. surely this kind of stuff comes into the cost too..

i lived in germany for a while and there was a skate/bmx park in the area. first off the park was built and maintained by the people who use it. secondly, they all did really good pieces of graffiti all over the park themselves.

i thought it was really great. basically all the local lads chipped in to build the place and look after it. no one would vandalize it cos they all helped to make it. also, i wonder would johnny soapbar really spray/write over a really good piece of artwork that a few lads would have made?

probably would but if he was caught he would be walking down the road with three shoes....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Danilo

Yea, but security is only an issue in certain areas.

In The Netherlands there are public skateparks everywhere. And guess what, if you fall it's your own damn problem!!

If you fall walking down the street and hurt yourself, then try to sue the town council, they laugh at you! People don't sue each other over there. Simple as that.

Originally posted by Danilo

In The Netherlands there are public skateparks everywhere. And guess what, if you fall it's your own damn problem!!

If you fall walking down the street and hurt yourself, then try to sue the town council, they laugh at you! People don't sue each other over there. Simple as that.
    so basically ireland is the only european country where public skateparks cant exist. man that sucks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭LemmingBoy

Its the oppasite of france I WANT TO SKATE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lobsterstag

Nice one Shag, you the same guy from sidewalk board? Ireland is too greedy and i cant help but think that if the green party or someone like that were in power we might have a better chance, i will send one to that address aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

politicains are all bent bastards...sure we'll build you a park...once you vote us of course.

write some letters to politicians, and i guarantee you get a positive response, but getting something done is a different story!
    peace out...keep up the fight

Originally posted by SeanPuddin
    politicains are all bent bastards...sure we'll build you a park...once you vote us of course.

write some letters to politicians, and i guarantee you get a positive response, but getting something done is a different story!
    peace out...keep up the fight
    i guess the questions that we should be asking them is how would they get around the insurance difficulties with building a free, public skatepark. im sure if you put them on the spot they woulnt be able to give a proper answer and just fob ye off.

afaik there is a park being built in lucan. this was promised by a ff politician. actually, anyone got any info on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭kazaam

NO 1.5m half pipe
    a death box
    3 sided funbox built into the wall
    4 foot roll in
    a half bowl
    and a 6 foot mini ramp
    maybe the odd flat rail or flat bank here or there

a lot cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Totaly agree.
    When i lived there i never taught of sue-ing anyone and neither did any of my friends here it a totaly different case, i still dont think of sue-ing if i fall.
    It's my faulth if i fall

Jozi

I guess that soon enough we will probably have a society much like that of the US where you can sue a fast food company because you have a fat arse!

But how is it that Ireland is like this and the rest of Europe is not!? There is a beautiful skatepark where I am at the moment. No supervision, no vandalism, no crusties, no bull whatsoever.

Is Ireland really all that different that the rest of Europe? And why??

Even more important is how can we change this???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Time Man

SO what if they paint on your ramp, ever seen a skate vid? All the hips and bowls are painted. Jeez, get a life already
    Originally posted by projectmayhem
    the problem with a publicly funded skatepark is security. like all public access sites in ireland, security is an issue and you don't want scummers coming in and spraying "johnner waz here 2004" or "sk8erz iz ghey" or whatever all over the place. surely this kind of stuff comes into the cost too..

Advertisement