23-02-2021, 21:12   #151
wandererz

Just wondering about something bugging me from years back.
Is there such an offence as "exhibition of speed"?
Was accused of this while sitting at traffic lights one morning for "revving" the engine. Which I wasn't, and was in an automatic to boot.

Also, is one obliged to change ones driver licence address when moving home? Is this a ticket able offence?
Advertisement
24-02-2021, 23:20   #152
I'm a US police officer, AMA
Verified representative

Revving engine

Just wondering about something bugging me from years back.
Is there such an offence as "exhibition of speed"?
Was accused of this while sitting at traffic lights one morning for "revving" the engine. Which I wasn't, and was in an automatic to boot.

In Texas there is no such offense in the Traffic Code. I think there used to be something like that ages ago, but not now. I'll grant ya its annoying AF, especially those kids and their souped up Japanese cars. There is a pretty active group of them here, and they will try and race from time to time on some of the newer motorways. A few of them have killed themselves too. We've run a few operations to stop them and educate them when they have their gatherings. On private property, they can do all the burnouts, etc. they want, but racing on the public roads is just dangerous to them and the public.

Also, is one obliged to change ones driver license address when moving home? Is this a ticket able offence?

Yes, in this state you have to change the address on your license 30 days after moving. Failure to do so is indeed a ticketable offense. Any more it's too easy, you can do this online and they send you a new DL in the post. The picture has to be renewed in person every eight years.
(2) thanks from:
28-02-2021, 17:32   #153
Verified representative

The much awaited pictures

Sorry gang, just been busy with home repairs post ice storm. Plumbing sorted, yea, we have hot water!!! Now waiting on plasterer....we'll be living on a site for the next few weeks.

Enjoy!!!
(3) thanks from:
28-02-2021, 17:33   #154
Verified representative

This time with the attachment...

Duh.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Car pictures.pdf (227.8 KB, 136 views)
28-02-2021, 18:17   #155
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm a US police officer, AMA View Post
Duh.....
Brilliant, thanks so much, really appreciate all the time taken.

That's good getting house back in working order....
Advertisement
28-02-2021, 19:45   #156
Corvo Attano

Quote:
Duh.....
Ye seem to be packing a lot in there, which makes me ask, is there anything ye would like added onto all of this? Is there anything yer ever missing?
28-02-2021, 21:41   #157
IrishZeus

Quote:
Duh.....
What’s in the “Active Shooter Kit”?
28-02-2021, 23:53   #158
Verified representative

Ye seem to be packing a lot in there, which makes me ask, is there anything ye would like added onto all of this? Is there anything yer ever missing?

Not that I can think of off hand. We're fairly well equipped, I wish our MDC software system was upgraded. It's old & can be slow, not web based and clunky to use. I forgot to add, in one of the drawers:

- road flares
- flexcuffs
- a hobble (nylon strapping to tie a unruly prisoners' feet together)

What’s in the “Active Shooter Kit”?

Its a bag with tourniquets, trauma dressings, gloves, bandages, and some airway adjuncts (bits that help open an airway on an unconscious person), glo sticks, medical scissors, medical tape, etc. I've added two extra M-4 mags as well.

Up front, there is a front facing radar, the front camera, a digital camera, notebooks, ticket book, traffic vests, gloves, wipes, stickers for the kids, hand sanitizer & misc. odds & ends. It's basically an office for 10 hours, everyone sets it up to suit themselves to one degree or another. Behind the cabinets in the back is the radio & camera system hardware boxes, sealed from our prying hands

The new cars have a plastic divider in the cage to keep two prisoners' apart and stop a single prisoner from trying to lie down & use their feet. You'll notice the rear windows have bars too, again, to stop getting kicked out.

These units cost something like $50K over the truck cost for all the tech & gear, we'll run them front line up to 150K miles give or take.
01-03-2021, 17:33   #159
Corvo Attano

Quote:
I wish our MDC software system was upgraded. It's old & can be slow, not web based and clunky to use.
Interesting, if its not web based, any idea what it uses? If you do need to check something on the web are you stuck just flicking on the hotspot on the phone? And is it like banking software where they are going to cling to what works until the end of time, or is there an effort being made to modernize these systems? Im sure that last question is dependant on the force you are a part of.

Thanks for the second AMA, was a pleasant surprise to log into boards after an age and have a notification that you were back answering questions. Top class AMA.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-03-2021, 01:09   #160
Verified representative

MDC system

Interesting, if its not web based, any idea what it uses? If you do need to check something on the web are you stuck just flicking on the hotspot on the phone? And is it like banking software where they are going to cling to what works until the end of time, or is there an effort being made to modernize these systems? I'm sure that last question is dependent on the force you are a part of.

Sorry, no I don't, I'm not that computer savvy, I think it's probably DOS based or something. The interface looks like something from the early 1990's, which is about when its from. It's run through a Panasonic Toughbook with a great cellular wireless connection and we have full internet access for web searches, email etc. We use web for all sorts of things, very useful. And the system allows us to run people, cars, ID's, search for criminal histories, police involvement, warrant checks, check insurance, registrations, etc.

I sense the software is, as you allude to above, a "sunk cost" and like many governmental systems, its easier to defer maintenance and let it limp along. The vendor stopped supporting it years ago, but here we are with in-house IT doing the best they can. There are better systems, but it'd be on the order of hefty millions to upgrade it. Once day, but I'll be retired by then I'm sure.

Last edited by I'm a US police officer, AMA; 02-03-2021 at 01:39.
02-03-2021, 10:04   #161
dulpit

Did you see Last Week Tonight with John Oliver's piece on police raids from Sunday night?

Wondering if you have any views on this? You said you used be SWAT previously?
02-03-2021, 18:47   #162
Verified representative

SWAT raids

Was able to watch it on a break today, he had some good points although I'd assert he spent some time finding bad examples. As I've said before, we can do better as a community (LE that is), but, like many pundits, it's hard to pick apart a complex subject in a short show.

Do police raids have a place, yes, after a risk assessment considering the totality of the circumstances. Are there some agencies who have no business conducting raids, sure, I can think of a few here myself in some of the smaller communities around us. But they answer to their city/county and that's part of this issue. Small, poorly paid agencies won't always make the best decision and every chief wants his/her cool guy team as reason to build their empire.

When I was on SWAT, it was serious business for each mission, its dangerous. Did we joke around after the perp was arrested & scene secure, sure. Job well done, relief, adrenalin dump, etc. Fortunately we never had any bad missions like the above although I did have a friend shot & killed on one warrant service. We were looking for an armed murder suspect.

The raids & jump out vans came from the War of Drugs in the 1980's. Idea was overwhelm the target to stop them fleeing, destroying evidence & make the arrests while the suspects were still stunned from the flash bangs & speed of the team. Safety through speed. It started out as a SWAT only mission, but pretty soon all the narcotics & similar teams started doing it. They may dress & look like SWAT, but are not as likely well trained as a professional SWAT team.

Like anything, its evolving a we learn. Now the general thought is slow & deliberate, risk assessment based, use surveillance, and answer the question "is there a better way to do this". Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I'd say his show was a tad one sided, a bit sensationalist but then it's John Oliver isn't it?
(3) thanks from:
02-03-2021, 19:26   #163
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....
You got used to grits yet? I was so looking forward to trying them but they were just meh!
03-03-2021, 02:15   #164
Manic Moran

Hopefully not over yet.

After moving here I've been struck by the amount of personally owned vehicles which officers have kitted out with blues/reds to be hired out as security at construction (Normally road construction) sites. How much does that cost, how long does it take to get the money back, and do they actually do anything at such locations? What percentage of officers have such gigs on the side?

How difficult did you find the Academy, and would you have found it more difficult had you not been prior service?

One thing I have to give props to local police for is how they have to deal with all sorts of depressing things in society we like to ignore, from the drug-addled to the child abusers (physical or otherwise). Has there ever been anything you've seen which has caused you to despair for humanity, or say "sod it, I'm quitting tomorrow"?

Presumably you are familiar with Sir Robert Peel's Principles of Policing. How many of them do you think are (a) still valid, and (b) still followed? For example, I would argue that there has been a shift away from #7: Though non-military police are officially "civilians" in US (and international) law, I wonder if there is a common separation or "them and us" attitude by the police use of the term "civilian" to mean "Member of the public" or "private citizen".
03-03-2021, 02:20   #165
Verified representative

Grits

Don't eat them myself, have tried them, agree, they are bland at best. I'd never even heard of them until I went into the Army, they were a staple on the breakfast menu all right. As the below vid explains.... :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T24lHnB7N8

The way our shifts work, we don't really get to go eat breakfast. We'll grab lunch if on days, dinner on evenings and a meal of some sort of you are on nights. I generally bring my own food, food choices, while better now than ever before, just arn't healthy. We don't get a dedicated break as such, but when the next shift comes on and if its not too busy, 2-3 of us will meet up for a bite & a chat.

Shifts run like this:

Days: 0600-1600
Evenings: 1300-2200
Nights: 2100-0700
The day traffic team comes on at 0600 to 1600 and their evening from 1000-2000, they are mostly on the motorbikes.
DWI units comes on with the night shift.
There are a few other specialty units mostly during the day: Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, Highway Enforcement and some grant funded drug units.

We do four 10 hour days rotating weekends off every two weeks.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion