Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Low carb diet

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

ali.c wrote: »
    A good healthy low carb diet does have vegetables but limited to under 30g net carbs a day.
    Aye that's quite restrictive one, but still... equivalent to half a kilo of broccoli per day (if broccoli was your only source of carbohydrate).

I cant remember the exact meal plan i followed but it included the following foods
    Eggs, celery, brocilli, chicken, lettuce, green beans, beef, peanut butter and whey protein. I'd say i was getting about 3 -4 cups of green vegetables on the both days equivalent to about 20g of carbs the rest was made up from the rest of the stuff in my diet.
    Sounds pretty good. Some almonds, and a dash of olive oil (monunsaturated fat is quite necessary to vary your macro nutrients), some fish and you'd be quite near ideal.
    Indeed it could of been a concidence but when i went back to eating a more moderate carb diet following that.
    That's what I'd describe my current diet as. I try stay away from grain derived food, potatoes, rice etc. Get my carbs from fruit and veg.

Unless you're following a specific plan, the basic idea for a healthy low carb diet (imo just a healthy diet) goes: Lean meat, fish, vegetables, nuts, some fruit, little starch and no sugar.*

*this I got from the dietry recommendations of Crossfit

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I just made a batch of these egg muffins last night. They turned out so delicious, I thought I'd pass on the recipe.

Oil a muffin tray. (I used a mini muffin tray with 12 sections).

Fry some red onion until softened. Place a little on the bottom of each muffin section. Crumble a little feta cheese on top of each section.

Whisk some eggs (2 eggs did my little tray), a little cream (or milk), along with salt and pepper and pour into each section, filling up to just a little below the brim.

Pop into a medium oven and cook for approx 10-15 mins until the muffins have risen and are golden brown on top. Take out and leave to cool a little (the muffins will collapse back a little). Take out of the tray and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I've been low carbing for the past seven years, and definitely don't find it restrictive. Once you get the hang of cooking without adding processed carbs, it's pretty easy. The basic principle is to replace any bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc with green veg. Most things work well if you do that.

I often make lasagne using sliced aubergine instead of pasta, and I just mash some cauliflower anywhere I'd normally use potato. I've got tons of dessert recipes too, mostly based on cocoa powder, gelatin and cottage cheese.

An excellent book is "The long term, low carb lifestyle" by Carolyn Humphries. Lots of good recipes, generally for one person, and genuinely low-carb.

4 weeks into this way of eating and the weight-loss is holding steady at about 5 kg. I'm not surprised by this as I've significantly increased the amount of physical exercise I undertake (2-3 gym sessions a week and 2 taekwon do sessions).

The real improvement I'm seeing is in my waist and hips. Clothes are starting to get really lose on me. Now that's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Here's a Q for all the low-carbers: I've gone on and off low-carb diets for years now, generally when I need to lose fat before a competition or to shed holiday excesses and teh like. It works, that's for sure, and there's nothing quite so lovely as the "flat tummy" feeling, lack of bloating, absence of energy slumps and whatnot that results from it.

BUT invariably after a few weeks I get awful constipation. Days will go by without me making any movements and invariably when I do "go" it's very, very painful. Interspersed with the constipation will be bouts of diarrhoea and tummy cramps.

My apologies for the nature of this post, it's not exactly the most pleasant :o I'm curious to know if anyone else experiences this when low-carbing? As soon as I revert back to a diet that has oats and wholegrains (presumably because of the re-introduction of soluble fibre) everything clears up again and my digestive system is happy and regular.

• Advertisement

It is a problem, but I find that a small handful of nuts adds enough fibre to my diet for me. I eat a lot of dark green vegetables too, that are naturally high in fibre.

You can also try Psyllium (sic) husks, or some of those soluble fibre sachets that are advertised on telly.

I mentioned this on another thread but I'll go into a bit more detail here. This is personal change, I know it doesn't work for everybody. I really believe the low carb diet really improved my gut.

Okay, so before I suffered heavily from heartburn (suspected ulcer), and I'd "go" maybe 3-5 times per week. My diet consisted mostly of pasta, rice, cereal, a decent about of meat and the odd piece of fruit. What it lacked in incredibly was vegetables. So when I switched to low carb, I had replace all the pasta etc with something to fill my stomach. That something was mostly veg, but also included a slight increase in meat, oil, nuts etc. I put it down to the veg, but almost immediately my ahem... frequency went to twice per day. And if you'll forgive my candor, were a good bit more pleasant.
    Now the only way my toilet expeditions become unpleasant is if I drink a good bit of beer. This also has the effect of temporarily returning my heartburn to it's pre low carb state. I find switching to (my preference is dry) white wine doesn't effect me to nearly the same degree as the beer, especially those gorgeous belgian ales.

That's my personal experience with as much detail as i thought necessary. Maybe it'll help you, or maybe you're built different.

I'm assuming I don't have to tell anyone to eat their green vegetables and drink enough water? Those are the main things in keeping regular and easy. However, if things do back up, then increase fats, either with nuts or coocnut oil or even cream.

I was experimenting with low carb ice-cream recipes yesterday, and ate of the the results. I did a poo that Gillian McKeith would have been proud of.

One thing to bear in mind is that on a low carb diet, you digest more of your food, so there is less rubbish to be excreted. You will naturally poop less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I cannot understand how a diet that can give you constipation, and means you cant eat wholegrains, bananas,carrots or beans. Sorry doesnt sound too healthy too me. I pity your colons and kidneys to be honest. It doesnt appeal to me as I love fruit and I am not the best meat eater but I cant get my head round not eating wholegrains.

The truth is that most people don't eat whole grains. They eat processed stuff that claims to be whole grain, but whole porridge oats is the closest most people come. Cheeries are not whole grains.

I took part in a five year study of low carb diets (yes, I've been low carbing even longer than that) and they regularly analysed my diet for deficiences. There were none, and that didn't take my multi-vit or fish oil into account.

Green vegetables have more fibre, vitamin C and general nutrition than fruit, and between meat, nuts, eggs and seeds, you get lots of B vitamins. Of course, all the fat soluble vitamins are very plentiful, which is good news, particularly for women, who need lots of vitamin D and K for strong bones and to maintain fertility.

If you do the diet right, then constipation is not an issue. I sometimes do CKD, where I have one or two high carb days a week, and then (in spite of all the wholegrains), it does become a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

EileenG wrote: »
    The truth is that most people don't eat whole grains. They eat processed stuff that claims to be whole grain, but whole porridge oats is the closest most people come. Cheeries are not whole grains.

I took part in a five year study of low carb diets (yes, I've been low carbing even longer than that) and they regularly analysed my diet for deficiences. There were none, and that didn't take my multi-vit or fish oil into account.

Green vegetables have more fibre, vitamin C and general nutrition than fruit, and between meat, nuts, eggs and seeds, you get lots of B vitamins. Of course, all the fat soluble vitamins are very plentiful, which is good news, particularly for women, who need lots of vitamin D and K for strong bones and to maintain fertility.

If you do the diet right, then constipation is not an issue. I sometimes do CKD, where I have one or two high carb days a week, and then (in spite of all the wholegrains), it does become a factor.

Fair enough, i maybe dont know enough about it, and my mind cant accept a life with little fruit. I also couldnt live without porridge. What ever works I suppose and any diet where you have to eat lots of veg and non processed food cant be so bad.

You can eat fruit even on a very strict low carb diet. Berries are very nutritious and very low carb. Avocados are perfect for keto diets. Rhubarb is technically a vegetable, but I make all sorts of yummy desserts with it. Pretty much anything you grow or pick yourself is fine. My garden has gooseberries, raspberries, crab apples, tayberries, red currents, white currents, blueberries, and wild strawberries. I also pick wild sloes, blackberries and elderberries in season.

EileenG wrote: »
    I'm assuming I don't have to tell anyone to eat their green vegetables and drink enough water? Those are the main things in keeping regular and easy. However, if things do back up, then increase fats, either with nuts or coocnut oil or even cream.

3-4L of water a day and copious helpings of veg and the problem persists.

Even with wholegrains (some us do know what real wholegrains are Eileen ;) ) back in my diet the situation hasn't improved greatly so now I'm at a complete loss. Back to the drawing board...

Where are most of your fats coming from? What sort of proportion of your diet is fat? Have you tried coconut oil?

almond oil, peanut oil, sesame oil, avocado oil, olive oil... take your pick!! oil with eggs in the morning, fish oils mid-morning, drizzling of oil on my salad/ veg at lunch and a little more oil with dinner in the evening. Mid-afternoon is small portion of fruit with something protein-based. I tend not to eat nuts as I have no ability to manage my portion sizes :o I've gotten out of the habit of eating milled flax so that's just been re-introduced too.

Never tried coconut oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

g'em wrote: »
    I tend not to eat nuts as I have no ability to manage my portion sizes .
    tell me about it, open a 500g pack and it is gone in the same time as a 50g bag. I wonder if there is some dispenser thing to keep them in, dishing out a small amount each day, though I know I would come home drunk and raid it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

3-4L of water a day and copious helpings of veg and the problem persists.

Even with wholegrains (some us do know what real wholegrains are Eileen ;) ) back in my diet the situation hasn't improved greatly so now I'm at a complete loss. Back to the drawing board...
    G'em, I suffer from the same problem and it is extremely frustrating.

I've avooided wheat for about 5 years and I pay the price if I sneak a slice of bread here or there or have some beer. But since the beginning of January I've been so disciplined. No wheat at all. I have prunes with my breakfast, a couple of cups of green tea in the morning, water throughout the day - all the things that usually kickstart my system and NOTHING.

I drink water, I try to eat as much fibre as one person can be expected to eat - dark veggies, chickpeas, pulses, beans. As I'm trying to lose a few pounds I restrict my carb intake in the evening time and eat more fish or chicken with lots of veggies. I've been eating the odd slice of rye bread at the weekends which claims to have fibre.

I eat a green apple or two every day.

And I'm stumped. The first half of January was very good but after that its been bad. I started using oat bran in my breakfast a couple of weeks ago and that really upset everything so I've cut that out now.

If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I was having the same problem last week there, in fairness I had a feed of alcohol on a saturday night (first time since christmas) and couldn't go for about 3 or 4 days later.

My weight had been steadily dropping (i have lost 5 kilos since new year) for 4 weeks then I got worried when my weight started increasing by 0.5 - 0.8 kilos per day. I felt all 'blocked up'

Anyway I just took some senakot for a few days, made an effort to clear the 'blockage' and everything has been back to normal since... weight back dropping and going normally. Hope it helps.

I've really resisted the notion of low carb and thought that eating rice or a couple of spuds with your dinner is fine but after reading this thread I decided to see how I'd get on with a low carb diet.

For the last few nights I've had a tiny portion of carbs with my dinner, a large portion of protein (chicken or fish) and a huge portion of veg.

And the result is a non bloated tummy. Amazing. And I always feel full after my dinner but I don't get that over full feeling from eating too much potato or rice (basmati, jasmine or brown - never white).

So I'm going to keep it up. To the low carb bridage - you have a new convert.

So I'm going to keep it up. To the low carb bridage - you have a new convert.

lol, the non-bloaty tummy really is the *best* side effect of low-carbing isn't it?!?

I'll be really interested to see how you get on in light of the... ahem.. digestive problems that we were talking about above. I'm still a little the worse for wear, and even senakot won't help anymore.

This is WAY more info than I should be giving about myself on the intarweb :o

• Advertisement

lol, the non-bloaty tummy really is the *best* side effect of low-carbing isn't it?!?

I'll be really interested to see how you get on in light of the... ahem.. digestive problems that we were talking about above. I'm still a little the worse for wear, and even senakot won't help anymore.

This is WAY more info than I should be giving about myself on the intarweb :o
    Hey G'em, things seem to have righted themselves over the last couple of days.

I don't eat wheat but eat spelt. I've had humus (the nice mcdonells one, not the processed ones) for lunch over the last few days which always works for me. But don't eat it every day as its too much for your system. I also love it, its yummy. I've also eaten broccoli over the last couple of nights for dinner along with carrots.

I don't use senokot anymore as a doctor told me it will give you a lazy bowel and imo mine is lazy enough as it is! For desperate times/desperate measures situations I sit myself down on a quiet evening with a bottle of prune juice mixed with orange juice to take the taste away. I also eat prunes every day.

There is this really good herbal medicine brand called Jan de Vries (or something close) and they do a good bowel tincture. It's made from flowers and plants. Sometimes I also buy this and put it in water. I've also tried Ortisan fruit cubes but they taste foul.

Apologies to all other posters for my frankness on such a private topic.

I don't eat wheat but eat spelt. I've had humus (the nice mcdonells one, not the processed ones) for lunch over the last few days which always works for me.

I'd never even thought of that, I must look into it. Thanks HS, and no apologies needed, sure better out than in (all puns intended :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Lads can I recommend Colpermin. My gastroenterologist recommended it to me. I am trying it this month and so far so good. It is an over-the-counter non-synthetic medication made from peppermint oil and it soothes irritable bowel. Give it a go.

Dunno if this will be any help, but if I'm ever backed up (for me usually occurs after a cheat day/weekend when I've avoided my veggies) I usually increase my fish oil or dairy intake, these never fail me. A gulp of Milk of Magnesia or a higher than normal amount of vitamin C (2000mg say) I've found in the past to do the trick too.

I wonder... is it a wheat intolerance? I often think that all those intolerances are often in people's heads but now I'm not so sure. Maybe when I do carb up I'm doing so with entirely the wrong things?

Hmmm...

I wonder... is it a wheat intolerance? I often think that all those intolerances are often in people's heads but now I'm not so sure. Maybe when I do carb up I'm doing so with entirely the wrong things?
    Hmmm...
    When I eat wheat (just a slice of bread or two at the weekends or a slice of cake etc) I start to feel awful over a long space of time and my system is all over the place.
    If I go on holiday to France and eat bread etc I will be in a heap the following week and it requires a full ban on wheat to get me back to normal. I usually bring a stash of wheat free crackers or bread with me if I need them.
    When I avoid wheat I feel fine and no digestive or stomach problems.
    I ate wheat at the weekend so that explains why my system was upset for the first few days this week.

If you want to know if its in your head give it up for two weeks. It will take a week to get it out of your system and by the end of week two if you feel much better then its a wheat intolerance; if not then its back to the drawing board.

I eat spelt crackers alot - you get them in health food shops and some superquinn stores sell them. I also eat rye bread - aldi have 100% rye bread for 70c. It's an acquired taste but once you get used to its bitter taste its lovely.

Colpermin is great for your stomach but doesn't help my digestive system but what works for one may be useless for someone else so its all about figuring out what works for you.

Hmmm...

It's quite possible. Ireland has a very high proportion of coeliac disease compared to the rest of Europe. However, being wheat intolerant does not mean you are a coeliac.

I was diagnosed as a coeliac a while back and have naturally followed a semi-low-carb diet for years. The amount of "badness" that disappeared from my system was amazing.

With regard to the constipation, I usually have one of three cures
    • A handful of peanuts
    • A really stron double espresso
    • A few sugar-free sweets (you know the ones "warning - excessive consumption may cause laxative effects) - 2 or 3 of the M&S ones always seem to do the trick for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭flaka

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Dunno if this will be any help, but if I'm ever backed up (for me usually occurs after a cheat day/weekend when I've avoided my veggies) I usually increase my fish oil or dairy intake, these never fail me. A gulp of Milk of Magnesia or a higher than normal amount of vitamin C (2000mg say) I've found in the past to do the trick too.

I've found Senakot syrup is good for that. In the end I started eating branflakes (Lo-Gi) for breakfast and high fiber bread. No probs

Instead of low-carbs I went lo-gi
    corn flakes -> porridge/branflakes/omelet
    pasta -> chick peas / drum wheat pasta
    basmati rice -> black beans, red kindey beans
    potatoes -> more meat, more veg
    white sugar -> no sugar
    white bread -> linseed, oats, high fiber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I'm curious to know if anyone else experiences this when low-carbing?

I started low-carbing last month and I have hit the same problem.This is what I found on the NDDIC website.
    The most common causes of constipation are a diet low in fiber or a diet high in fats, such as cheese, eggs, and meats.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/constipation/index.htm

That's it with low-carbing for me. I'm going back on a diet with plenty of carbs and low fat, at least that way I will stay regular.

• Advertisement

cozmik wrote: »
    I started low-carbing last month and I have hit the same problem.This is what I found on the NDDIC website.

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/constipation/index.htm

That's it with low-carbing for me. I'm going back on a diet with plenty of carbs and low fat, at least that way I will stay regular.

Low carb does not meal low fibre. I eat at least twice as much green veg on low carb as I do on a "balanced" diet, and I never have constipation. And high fat is only a problem if the bowels are clogged up with lots of junk carbs.

Last night I visited friends and ate mushroom soup, brown bread, Irish stew (lamb, potatoes and onion), apple crumble and chocolate cake. All very normal, only the cake was high fat, but I really missed all my broccoli and spinach, and afterwards, I felt bloated and uncomfortable and constipated.

Advertisement