Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord packed our stuff up and threw it out

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

ted1 wrote: »
    So you are for then evicting tenants ?

Who says it’s unsustainable? That’s a big jump.

There's too many landlords in the markets who seem to have highly unrealistic expectations from their business. A business model should take into consideration realistic profits and overheads, not how much you owe for inheritance tax. These aren't costs relating to the business, they're your own personal costs.

In this case the landlord raised the rent by 400%. Let's say that was due to increased taxes or whatever. Well then the LL based his business practice on personal needs.

Many LLs seem to see their personal needs as a justification to charge anything or legitimise any action. Imagine any small business owner charging 400% more for the use of an asset and justifying it using an expense related to paying some inheritance tax!

In this case it seems the LL has to charge a lot less rent now and is barely making even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

pablo128 wrote: »
    Is there no mods on here to cut out all the crap about fantasy hypothetical situations, and get back on topic?

Some of the people I'm replying to are ludicrous. It's my fault for engaging it, to some extent.

That said, those few exchanges really show the mentalities of some people. So its probably quite useful as an observation.

But no need for moderation, I won't be replying again anyway, it's like trying to shed light on a black hole in space, fruitless :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Gradius / Claw Hammer, do not post on this thread again

pablo128, if you have an issue with a post, report it. Don't whinge about it on thread.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 curious minds

I rented for 10 years ...some properties were not great at all, I never dared not pay the rent,

Because when you enter into a contract and you break the agreement to pay rent in full at the right time ....yes the LL will be annoyed,

You will take the LL to the RTB for illegal eviction and you will be awarded 20K .....100% ,
    Great times and a great payoff in the face of all of us losers who pay rent religiously in full and on time Covid or not.

Be delighted! you will be awarded 20K for taking on a lease and breaking it.

The only downside I can see is that your name might come up on the RTB disputes page and no one will rent to you again.

But all in all a great payoff is coming your way.! Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭sugarman20

I rented for 10 years ...some properties were not great at all, I never dared not pay the rent,

Because when you enter into a contract and you break the agreement to pay rent in full at the right time ....yes the LL will be annoyed,

You will take the LL to the RTB for illegal eviction and you will be awarded 20K .....100% ,
    Great times and a great payoff in the face of all of us losers who pay rent religiously in full and on time Covid or not.

The only downside I can see is that your name might come up on the RTB disputes page and no one will rent to you again.

You sound like a really bitter person. Go out and get some sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

You're saying landlords should refuse to rent with a tenant who had a dispute with a previous landlord?

Cool.

sugarman20 wrote: »
    You sound like a really bitter person. Go out and get some sunshine.

:p the way things 'sound' and the ways things actually are.....

Covid 19 legislation:

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/covid-19-emergency-legislation-for-rental-sector/

'Please be aware that carrying out an illegal eviction, which includes prohibiting access to the property or making the property uninhabitable by disconnecting services, can result in damages of up to €20,000 being awarded to the tenant. The RTB can seek an injunction from the Courts to reinstate the tenant and will continue to prioritise these cases during the emergency period.'

LeineGlas wrote: »
    You're saying landlords should refuse to rent with a tenant who had a dispute with a previous landlord?

Cool.

jus the way a bank searches to see if you have defaulted on your loan previously
    ..... an estate agent/landlord might do a quick search and see the name on the dispute and 'rent arrears' comes up next to your name...not a good look.
    I'm not saying LL should refuse to rent to someone...but with hundreds of applicants per add.....they decide for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

jus the way a bank searches to see if you have defaulted on your loan previously
    ..... an estate agent/landlord might do a quick search and see the name on the dispute and 'rent arrears' comes up next to your name...not a good look.

I don’t think that they would be able to publish a reference to ‘rent arrears’ given that no formal notice of arrears was served (based on available information).

Sarn wrote: »
    I don’t think that they would be able to publish a reference to ‘rent arrears’ given that no formal notice of arrears was served (based on available information).

...i think the way it works ...tenant starts a dispute against LL for illegal eviction...and in the dispute LL mentions rent arrears...so the RTB title in the search is both ...illegal eviction and rent arrears....like in the below search

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/search-results/listing/eyJyZXN1bHRfcGFnZSI6InNlYXJjaC1yZXN1bHRzXC9saXN0aW5nIiwia2V5d29yZHMiOiJhcnJlYXJzIGlsbGVnYWwiLCJjb2xsZWN0aW9uIjoiYWRqdWRpY2F0aW9uX29yZGVyc3x0cmlidW5hbF9vcmRlcnMifQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Any update, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

...i think the way it works ...tenant starts a dispute against LL for illegal eviction...and in the dispute LL mentions rent arrears...so the RTB title in the search is both ...illegal eviction and rent arrears....like in the below search

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/search-results/listing/eyJyZXN1bHRfcGFnZSI6InNlYXJjaC1yZXN1bHRzXC9saXN0aW5nIiwia2V5d29yZHMiOiJhcnJlYXJzIGlsbGVnYWwiLCJjb2xsZWN0aW9uIjoiYWRqdWRpY2F0aW9uX29yZGVyc3x0cmlidW5hbF9vcmRlcnMifQ

Is anyone defending someone deliberately withholding rent? Furthermore is anyone arguing against legal eviction for the withholding of rent?

No, people are arguing against entering the property without permission and illegally evicting someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

LeineGlas wrote: »

Cool.

I would be saying that if I have a dozen perfectly good tenants. Anything that helps second guess one makes it easy for me to move on. And yes. I would more than likely not even look at a tenant with that as part of their history even if he was the only potential tenant at that moment. The place is better left idol instead of dealing with a bad tenant especially if they receive an award of 20k

steddyeddy wrote: »
    There's too many landlords in the markets who seem to have highly unrealistic expectations from their business. A business model should take into consideration realistic profits and overheads, not how much you owe for inheritance tax. These aren't costs relating to the business, they're your own personal costs.

In this case the landlord raised the rent by 400%. Let's say that was due to increased taxes or whatever. Well then the LL based his business practice on personal needs.

Many LLs seem to see their personal needs as a justification to charge anything or legitimise any action. Imagine any small business owner charging 400% more for the use of an asset and justifying it using an expense related to paying some inheritance tax!

In this case it seems the LL has to charge a lot less rent now and is barely making even.

You aren’t really thinking this through are you? The inheritance tax bill is as much a cost to the business as if they bought the property for renting. If you buy a property to rent you damn well want to make sure to cover the cost of it (and get profit) from the rent. If you inherit it’s no different part of the cost of your business is paying the tax bill and you should aim to pay it from the rental business.

Advertisement