Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R TT....Round 2 - 1 mile TT, Saturday May 30th *** please read post #1 ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

healy1835 wrote: »
    Woah, woah, woah! How come I get the guff for a 5:15 prediction? Me; an almost 40 year old novice who's never ran a mile before :( All this when other posters, who I won't call out

(one is named after a pretty flaky midfielder who, a couple of brilliant cameos aside, including an amazing 1st half that unfortunately was ended by injury the night Porto equalised in the last minute at OT and Jose came into our collective consciousness, was so ****e they named him twice)

, have ran a Berlin Marathon qualifying time this year and get away scot-free with posting a 5:30 target!?
    Absolutely outrageous.

This is a very valid point. It does indeed seem a greater crime than yours. In my defence I will argue that I don't know the background of all the posters here. The only solution to this is for others to follow your very fine example and blow the cover of any similar levels of skullduggery. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

ran 2k hard yesterday for a club duathlon ( virtual ) will not be getting within an asses roar of 5.30 ! but il leave it at that for motivation..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Can someone put me in for 4.59, m45 ( **** thats scary when I see it written down, Im 23 in my head)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Woah, woah, woah! How come I get the guff for a 5:15 prediction? Me; an almost 40 year old novice who's never ran a mile before :( All this when other posters, who I won't call out

(one is named after a pretty flaky midfielder who, a couple of brilliant cameos aside, including an amazing 1st half that unfortunately was ended by injury the night Porto equalised in the last minute at OT and Jose came into our collective consciousness, was so ****e they named him twice)

, have ran a Berlin Marathon qualifying time this year and get away scot-free with posting a 5:30 target!?
    Absolutely outrageous.

I am not sure who you are hinting at here. :D

But I would imagine they took their 5km time (which was 20 seconds slower than predicted time) and divided by 3 and took another bit off to arrive at that predicted time.

I would imagine that is what happened but as I don't know who you are referring too I couldn't be certain.

On a side note I am Off to check how you rereg.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

On a side note I am Off to check how you rereg.

We'll keep an eye out for new user, scholes scholes

• Advertisement

We'll keep an eye out for new user, scholes scholes

No Scholes was good at football, maybe the equally useless Kleberson of around the same era. Rather unkindly nicknamed Klebfoot by the "fans".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Ran a mile this morning as a tester route but I was quickly pulled up by the Gestapo running police pointing out it was 0.99mi...

This was only a tester! Imagine what they will be like on the real day:eek:

This was only a tester! Imagine what they will be like on the real day

Worse........ Much much worse.........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Ah feck it, I'll give it a go.

I put the 5k TT result into McMillan and it came back with a 1 mile of 10.17 :eek: I'm going to round it down to 10.20 as if it makes a difference :pac: and hope that's okay.

I've spent the last week thinking about it, and eyeing up the routes while out. It's hard to find any where that's not a hill within 5km. I think I've found somewhere on Strava, it's an industrial estate though, so hopefully I won't be murdered. Though some one chasing me might push me on :pac: Not entirely sure it's even and can't try it out before the big day, so what will be will be.

Going to go back to page 1 and find out what to do :)

Oh...Female 43 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

ultrapercy wrote: »
    No Scholes was good at football, maybe the equally useless Kleberson of around the same era. Rather unkindly nicknamed Klebfoot by the "fans".

Dong Dong maybe...although some might take offence :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Worse........ Much much worse.........

You are definitely hanging around with your mate too long...

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Ah lads. We were having a rough enough season before lockdown do you really have to stick the knife in even when we aren’t playing.

Before you know it people will start discussing Bebe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Can someone put me in for 4.59, m45 ( **** thats scary when I see it written down, Im 23 in my head)

Here’s another lad thinking it the Boards km TT...:)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Here’s another lad thinking it the Boards km TT...:)

TbL

Judging of the last TT he will prob do this with a 13% incline point to point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I did see the great man himself score against Panathanikos in the Champions League group stage one evening. (Djemba Djemba that is ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

KSU wrote: »
    Judging of the last TT he will prob do this with a 13% incline point to point

Yep, unless he’s injured he’s sandbagging!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

https://youtu.be/_7CnCYCYC8s

#bringbackthemile

KSU wrote:

Now there's a class username. Bebe Bebe.

KSU wrote: »
    Ah lads. We were having a rough enough season before lockdown do you really have to stick the knife in even when we aren’t playing.

Im a United supporter myself. Wittest fan nickname ever was for the ill fated goalkeeper Massimo Taibi who was from Venice, they called him the blind venetian.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

He was merely ahead of his time! A useless midfielder at United before being useless in midfield at United was even a thing.

I can't believe a mile TT thread has degraded to the level of discussing United midfielders. Mods!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Would it be considered bad form to consume 4 x 355 ml. beers over the duration of this time trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

However you want to butcher your own mile in fine with me

I can't believe a mile TT thread has degraded to the level of discussing United midfielders. Mods!!!

Anything that takes the heat off me and S even for a short while is very welcome. ;)
    adrian522 wrote:
    Would it be considered bad form to consume 4 x 355 ml. beers over the duration of this time trial?

On the contrary I will happily reverse handicap anyone who commits to that. 20s deducted from total time per 355ml beer consumed. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Classic21

I normally just read and never post but I will give this TT a go.
    I have never raced below 5K and a recent 5K gives me a 1ml time of 5:35 on McMillan. I would be shocked to get near that time but I will try.
    M41, please add to the table
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I think I'm getting route selection anxiety. Is that a thing?

Ran a few random loops off my run this morning only to soon utter "No no no, this won't do at all", shortly after commencing each one. Thoughts of having to mount paths, sharp turns and potential traffic while trying to tip along at mile pace... The hunt continues. All part of the fun. Who'd be a race organiser :rolleyes:

What's the difference between elevation gain and Grade percentage on Strava? :o

What's the difference between elevation gain and Grade percentage on Strava? :o

Both can vary from watch to watch. Sometimes the elevation gain shown is the total elevation gain other times it is the net gain. For example if you did a 1km run which was pancake flat, then went up 20 metres before dropping down again to a flat run to the end of 10k......some watches show zero elevation gain as the up and down cancel each other out, others will show 20m of elevation gain because you climbed 20m.

Likewise for grade percentage...some will show zero, others will show 2% ie. 20m elevation in a 1,000 metre run.

What's the context?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Both can vary from watch to watch. Sometimes the elevation gain shown is the total elevation gain other times it is the net gain. For example if you did a 1km run which was pancake flat, then went up 20 metres before dropping down again to a flat run to the end of 10k......some watches show zero elevation gain as the up and down cancel each other out, others will show 20m of elevation gain because you climbed 20m.

Likewise for grade percentage...some will show zero, others will show 2% ie. 20m elevation in a 1,000 metre run.

What's the context?

I was just looking at the route I picked and saw it said 0.0% grade and 36 ft elevation. But I think that's alright for the TT?

I was just looking at the route I picked and saw it said 0.0% grade and 36 ft elevation. But I think that's alright for the TT?

Yeah that's fine. It means the 36 feet of elevation has been cancelled out by 36 feet of drop. Perfect! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

M41 and I'll have a stab at 5.29 if someone wouldn't mind adding me

Advertisement