Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luke Kelly statue vandalised

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I would assume that the perpetrator has, now, had a “green light” put on him.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

What does that mean, dude? I thought I had heard most of the jackeen lingo at this stage having lived here so long and being a visitor to bookie shops in the Northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What does that mean, dude? I thought I had heard most of the jackeen lingo at this stage having lived here so long and being a visitor to bookie shops in the Northside.

From what I gather, it’s a “gang term” for when they want to “put a hit” on someone.

And, I mean, if they’re “throwing them out” at, mild mannered, young lads from Tipp for simply being in the vicinity, you’d have to say that this would be much more worthy.

If a little “excessive”.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Putting hits on vandals now?Taking Tidy Towns to a whole new level!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Putting hits on vandals now?Taking Tidy Towns to a whole new level!
    For the greater good...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

For those who were advocating for horses in council estates

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0721/1154730-animal-cruelty/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Why do you adress everyone on here as "dude"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Dunne was remanded on bail in his own bond of €300 but did not have to lodge cash after the judge noted he was on social welfare and living in supported accommodation.

That’ll teach him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So the vandal is 47 years of age. That is just pathetic.

If he was a little scrote of 15 or 16, that just might be understandable, but this middle-aged man is two years older than me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So the vandal is 47 years of age. That is just pathetic.

He had a hard upbringing though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    He had a hard upbringing though

Mental issues more like it.

Mental issues more like it.

Possible in fairness. It's unlikely to be a prank.

My workplace is in that vicinity and you see a sizeable number of guys around the bus station and Connolly who definitely aren't in the best shape (not drugs related).

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

Until actions have serious consequences........

Personally he should be made to pay for the repair of the statue. Dock his dole an amount each week until the state recoups the cost of the repair. If it goes to the point of his state pension dock that too. Lets stop this slap on the wrist nonsense from the courts.

batman75 wrote: »
    Personally he should be made to pay for the repair of the statue. Dock his dole an amount each week until the state recoups the cost of the repair. If it goes to the point of his state pension dock that too. Lets stop this slap on the wrist nonsense from the courts.

Never gonna happen. It would mean that wealthy people could vandalised whatever they wanted as long as they could afford to pay for it whereas poor people would have a harsher punishment. A better sentence would be community service. Take time of people instead of cash. Let him clean graffiti from train stations and bus stops.

Never gonna happen. It would mean that wealthy people could vandalised whatever they wanted as long as they could afford to pay for it whereas poor people would have a harsher punishment.
    It's a stupid and unfair system alright, but it's been the law for nearly 30 years.

S.6 Criminal Justice Act 1993
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1993/act/6/section/6/enacted/en/html#sec6

You see it pop up in news articles occasionally, when a convicted person is told to pay compensation to avoid jail. An option that isn't available to everyone. You're essentially buying back your liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Any update on this, was there ever a motive, why Luke Kelly?
    Was it because he put his corduroy britches on in 18 hundred and 41 and went to work upon the railway? It is close to railway tracks and the guy lives close to them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

When this guy goes back to court in September, and if found guilty, what's he going to get?
    Jail? Most likely suspended sentence, he's well used to it, would do it on his head.
    A fine? good luck with that, been on the dole all his life, or Community service? can't see him taking direction or orders to well, would take more people supervising him to make the job worth their time.
    So what? Just tell him he was a bold boy and don't do it again, he probably won't now he's been caught.
    I'd say he knows this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

A strongly worded speech by the judge will sort him out........maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

Never gonna happen. It would mean that wealthy people could vandalised whatever they wanted as long as they could afford to pay for it whereas poor people would have a harsher punishment. A better sentence would be community service. Take time of people instead of cash. Let him clean graffiti from train stations and bus stops.

The point would be that the guilty pays irrespective of economic circumstances. The state can't have a tailored justice system based on a person's wallet. If a kid had done it have the parents pay for the repair. Otherwise it's those that work who pick up the tab via our taxes.

From a societal point of view I would be curious as to what prompts someone to vandalise a public piece of art?

• Advertisement

From a societal point of view I would be curious as to what prompts someone to vandalise a public piece of art?
    Nearly everyone who has attacked the Mona Lisa, to use the most famous example, had a mental illness. Some people have even shot themselves in frustration with the Mona Lisa, all of them artists. I doubt anyone is frustrated with envy by the Luke Kelly statue, mind you.

There have been plenty of attacks on Irish artworks down the years which are linked with mental illness. Although there was also one attack, an attack on a Monet in the National Gallery, where some idiot was merely trying to "get back at" the State for some perceived injustice.

And then, some people just dont like certain artworks for religious reasons or political reasons, or because the art is ugly.

One poster here, whilst criticising the vandals, pointed out without a shred of irony that if he lived beside the statue, he'd fcuk it in the river.

Anyway it will be interesting to find out what the motive was here, if any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

A strongly worded speech by the judge will sort him out........maybe?

Seems to have worked in the past.

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/xp112-2-scaled.jpg

This report says the statue was repeatedly vandalized so that security cameras would be turned toward it rather than observing drug dealer comings and goings in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/xp112-2-scaled.jpg

This report says the statue was repeatedly vandalized so that security cameras would be turned toward it rather than observing drug dealer comings and goings in the vicinity.

We are playing chess but they are playing chequers. It's all in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Here’s an idea. Have security cameras that can swivel when required (activity in the area)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Here’s an idea. Have security cameras that can swivel when required (activity in the area)

Why can't they put the security cameras inside the statue itself e.g. replace the eyes? Luke would then be all-seeing and all-knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Kivaro wrote: »
    Why can't they put the security cameras inside the statue itself e.g. replace the eyes? Luke would then be all-seeing and all-knowing.

How about connecting it up to 10000v , the resulting electric shock should deter a future vandalism. Save a fortune in dole payments , free legal aid , children's allowance etc.

The point would be that the guilty pays irrespective of economic circumstances. The state can't have a tailored justice system based on a person's wallet. If a kid had done it have the parents pay for the repair. Otherwise it's those that work who pick up the tab via our taxes.

Where a person claims they cannot afford to pay a fine there is rarely any follow up by the state. The sheriff might call around and be told that they person has no assets and will walk away empty handed. To attempt to jail someone for non payment of fines causes uproar so it is rarely done.

Equally you would be happy with wealthy D4 lads wrecking whatever they like as long as they pick up the tab afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

What is it about this statue that keeps the skangers coming back?

He's from the inner city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Northernlily

What is it about this statue that keeps the skangers coming back?

He's from the inner city.

These scrotes have no cultural appreciation. They couldn't give a fook.

They are getting worse with each generation.

Advertisement