Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Ryanair discusion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

rivegauche wrote:
    Or maybe they're paying him a ton of money which seems more plausible as if he hadn't been able to endure the working environment in Ryanair the first time around he wouldn't have come back.

More likely he hoped on his return to Ryanair that as COO he could better the airline.
    His short stay in Swords implies he was mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

BALPA balloting their British Ryanair pilots for possible strike action. Result known by August 7th. Strike then possible 2 weeks later.

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN1UC23V
    As they are overstaffed at the moment I doubt Ryanair will mind not paying some pilots their wage on those strike days.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

More likely he hoped on his return to Ryanair that as COO he could better the airline.
    His short stay in Swords implies he was mistaken.

Probably on gardening leave now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I see Peter Bellew is off to easyJet now.

Hopefully he'll have the freedom there to bring in the positive changes he had planned at FR, if it weren't for a certain CEO.

What changes was he restricted from implementing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭boccy23

Do Ryanair do a twilight check-in for bag drop. 6:15AM flight to ACE on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

boccy23 wrote: »
    Do Ryanair do a twilight check-in for bag drop. 6:15AM flight to ACE on Sunday.
    Yes.

Yes.

Thanks. What time is it available from?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Quoting a recent email from Ryanair:
    Dear Customer,

Ryanair want to make your airport experience as stress free as possible and are introducing a new customer service initiative. Customers travelling on an early morning flights, up to 09.00am & departing Dublin, can check-in their checked baggage at the airport the evening before their early morning departure. Outlined below are the steps you need to take in order to avail of this service.

• Bag drop desks will be open from 20:00 the evening before your scheduled flight in Terminal 1 at Dublin Airport.

• Customers availing of this service must have checked-in online in advance and have their boarding pass and travel documents with them when checking-in their bags

• If one of more passengers in a booking has a checked bag, one customer may check in all bags on the booking once they have to hand the boarding passes and passports of their travelling companions.

• Baggage will be subject to normal security screening procedures and customers are required to remain in the airport terminal for 15 minutes after the bag has been checked should security have questions in relation to your bags.

• Remember, when packing, don’t pack any essentials in your checked luggage as once checked-in, you will not have access to the bags until you reach your destination.

• All customers must have their boarding passes and travel documentation with them at the boarding gate on the day of travel.

Airline staff will be on hand to help you at the airport should you need any assistance, however if you have any questions in relation to this service please click here to chat with one of our support agents who will be happy to assist you.

Kind regards

Ryanair Customer Service

Super, thanks.

• Advertisement

The letter from Ryanair is lovely and gentle and not much else at all. That kind of customer bulletin was generated before 9/11

Quoting a recent email from Ryanair:

I got an reply from the Ryanair Chat-Bot stating it was available from 9AM the previous day. Surely, that can't be correct? Or is it?

From the DAA direct:

"Ryanair have advised, early bag drop (i.e evening before) is only available on certain flights and as their operation allows.

On flights that it is, email notification is sent to all passengers to make them aware.

Should you not receive notification from Ryanair for early bag drop, normal bag drop policy applies."

Just for info for all.

Van.Bosch wrote:
    What changes was he restricted from implementing?

He was quoted as saying the atmosphere in HQ was toxic. Managements attitude to employees needed to vastly improve in order to make the airline an attractive place to work.
    Turnover of staff in Ryanair still remains mind boggling. The airline unfortunately doesn't market itself as a career company.

That's what Bellew failed to change.

He was quoted as saying ...
    source please?

rivegauche wrote:
    source please?

Internal staff memo.

But may have been quoted in the media also. I'll have to search for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

I was looking at Ryanair's new flights from Dublin to Billund and the flight time is 2 hours 55 minutes. Surely this must be a mistake even with Ryanair's schedule padding? Dublin to Copenhagen is 2 hours 10 mins despite being further away. Manchester to Billund on BA has a flight time of 1 hour 45 minutes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you forgetting CET in calculating?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

L1011 wrote: »
    Are you forgetting CET in calculating?

No, it says 2 hours 55 minutes.

Screenshot-2019-07-19-22-49-18.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

He was quoted as saying the atmosphere in HQ was toxic. Managements attitude to employees needed to vastly improve in order to make the airline an attractive place to work.
    Turnover of staff in Ryanair still remains mind boggling. The airline unfortunately doesn't market itself as a career company.

That's what Bellew failed to change.

I have heard that the back office in Airside is a decent place to work and the people are well treated, I know a few people who work and have worked there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

VG31 wrote: »
    No, it says 2 hours 55 minutes.

Screenshot-2019-07-19-22-49-18.png

Airlines often exaggerate flight times, it helps with the statistics :)

Flight time given by most airlines (inc Ryanair) is actually block time (off to on time) as opposed to the actual flying time. Block time will always vary from airline to airline even when on the same routes.

"(Reuters) - Members of Ryanair's Irish pilot union are to decide next week whether to join British colleagues in holding a ballot on strike action, according to a memo distributed to members.

Ryanair pilots in Britain, the Irish airline's largest market, last week announced a ballot that could lead to strike action in late August, citing disagreements over pay and conditions.

Ryanair pilots who are members of the Irish Airline Pilots Association (IALPA) will meet in Dublin on Tuesday to decide whether to hold a ballot for "industrial action up to and including strike action", with voting to begin on or before Thursday, July 25, the memo said."

Feckin pilots demanding to be treated fairly!!
    How dare they expect similar rights to the likes of easyJet, Tui, Jet2, Transavia or Norwegian!
    Sure they joined Ryanair knowing they'd be treated like dirt.

Poor shareholders can't expect to share some of their E800 million profit per year. Yachts don't buy themselves!

Do you think these people are representing the owners of Yachts?
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pension-funds-heap-pressure-on-ryanair-to-ditch-chairman-nwsl7tbz6

Do you think that they might rather be managing pension funds so that pensioners can retire with modest pensions sufficient to provide for them in their old age.

In a business which is eye-wateringly capital intensive a small group of employees think they can direct all the assets of the company toward lining their own pockets at the expense of other employees and those who invested their own hard earned money to provide the working capital to deliver the service.

I previously asked you for a source for your claims about a toxic workplace. You still haven't provided a source but you might be right and based on your comments the toxicity is due to the attitude of self-entitled pilots and not due to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Blut2

I can't give you a source for this because its anecdotal as well, but I've known multiple people who worked in Ryanair HQ and said the culture was horrendous. They couldn't wait to leave.

That may have changed very recently but I'd have my doubts. Its been known for years to be a very bad place to work.

edit: The Glassdoor reviews are pretty awful, still, compared to rivals like EasyJet . So that would back up this:

https://www.glassdoor.ie/Reviews/Ryanair-Reviews-E6965.htm

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ryanair-pilots/ryanair-tells-pilots-it-grew-too-fast-irish-independent-idUSKBN1ED10D

Not the direct quote I was looking for but it sums up the "feelings" I mentioned.

That is not even in the same ballpark as a direct quote from the Chief Operating Officer of the company stating officially that he is of the opinion that there is a toxic work environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

rivegauche wrote: »
    That is not even in the same ballpark as a direct quote from the Chief Operating Officer of the company stating officially that he is of the opinion that there is a toxic work environment.

The fact a COO admits that there was a very tense and very inflamed relationship between staff and the company as well as staff being pissed off then you know something is wrong.

You can have your opinion that the pilots are self entitled brats or whatever. That's fine but clearly there are still many issues in the company. Who on earth is their staff relations manager because he is doing an incredibly poor job.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    The fact a COO admits that there was a very tense and very inflamed relationship...
    Did that Reuters report actually confirm that happened. It didn't. It just took great care to state that this has been claimed by others to have happened.

"The relationship between the airline and pilots became “very inflamed” and “very tense” in recent weeks, Chief Operations Officer Peter Bellew told a meeting of Ryanair pilots at Stansted Airport near London, the Irish Independent reported."

“We don’t comment on rumor or speculation,” a Ryanair spokeswoman said, declining to comment on the accuracy of the quotes. A serving Ryanair pilot told Reuters he had heard a recording of the meeting and the quotes were accurate."

this is literally within the realms of hearsay reported as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I've heard the recording with my own ears so that's all I can say. It got passed around various WhatsApp chats in the industry.

So no I cant report it as fact but I know what I heard.

Said COO is leaving for Easyjet. Maybe he got pissed off too.

• Advertisement

Or maybe and much more likely he was approached, headhunted and enticed away for a very large salary. It is the most likely scenario but a more salacious story pleases some people more.

Advertisement