Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alberto Salazar in Doping Scandal

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Was all this not in the panorama doc a few years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

adrian522 wrote: »
    Was all this not in the panorama doc a few years ago?

These are new allegations, particularly the prescription drug part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Can't read linked article fully, but original doc had plenty of stuff about using prescription medication under Therapeutic Use Exemption status.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

From the article (The Sunday Times will have it tomorrow):

"USADA believes the L-carnitine infusions given by intravenous drip to six top American runners training with Salazar "almost certainly" broke anti-doping rules. L-carnitine is not a banned substance for athletes but infusions of more than 50ml in the space of six hours are prohibited."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

pconn062 wrote: »
    From the article (The Sunday Times will have it tomorrow):

"USADA believes the L-carnitine infusions given by intravenous drip to six top American runners training with Salazar "almost certainly" broke anti-doping rules. L-carnitine is not a banned substance for athletes but infusions of more than 50ml in the space of six hours are prohibited."

Worrding is non-conclusive really, the times front page has a lot of "almost Certainly" and "potentially" and the health angle tells me that there is nothing of concrete evidence from the USADA report if these are the biggest quotes they could pull from what I assume is a huge document.

The prescription drugs is not new, Kara Goucher came out that time about Cytomel as have many athletes with "overactive thyroids" in NOP and athletics, Alberto used to be called Albuterol Salazar back in the 80's and Jeffrey Brown is known to meet athletes "prescription needs" for years, Carl Lewis was a patient of his. The one major thing I can spot in that article is the dose to time on infusions and nothing will probably come of it as how do they prove it, they don't even test for L-Carnitine as its not banned. Everything so far is a rehash of 2015 and the report was published in March 2016, nothing has happened a year after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

USADA tried to unsuccessfully depose Dr. Brown 4 months after the report was published. The judge ruled that USADA lacked evidence and were on a "fishing expedition to see if they can find some kind of a problem"

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/23/sports/olympics/usada-doping-endocrinologist-investigation.amp.html

If they couldn't fry Brown, I don't think they'll get anywhere with NOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

From Mo himself:

C5mA8BqWMAAfkPc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

'I am a clean athlete who has never broken the rules in regards to substances, methods or dosages'.

Well, if the allegations are true then you have Mo! If not, then you still certainly bent the rules as far as you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Even if he is a clean athlete?

Stupid thing to say...

• Advertisement

Mo maybe should think about disassociating himself from Salazar. His honesty and cleanness will be automatically questioned, and to many idiots he'll be labelled a PED user by association.

Are the allegations suggesting that these drugs being prescribed and administered are banned PEDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭overpronator

walshb wrote: »
    Mo maybe should think about disassociating himself from Salazar. His honesty and cleanness will be automatically questioned, and to many idiots he'll be labelled a PED user by association.

I think its more idiotic to not ask questions if the person who transformed his career is shown to be behaving outside the rules.

I think its more idiotic to not ask questions if the person who transformed his career is shown to be behaving outside the rules.

Hence my point. Maybe disassociate yourself from Salazar.

Anyway, no matter what there will always be idiots labelling clean athletes as cheats.

I read the links and articles. More horsesh1t.. if there is actual cheating then go and expose it....this incessant BS and innuendo and speculation and he said she said. Wake up, fellas. It's garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyway, no matter what there will always be idiots labelling clean athletes as cheats.

I read the links and articles. More horsesh1t.. if there is actual cheating then go and expose it....this incessant BS and innuendo and speculation and he said she said. Wake up, fellas. It's garbage.

So, athletes come out against him saying he's done sh1t, and then a report comes out saying he's denied investigators access to files that they'd need to fully prove if he and his athletes are cheating or not, and you think it's all garbage?

titan18 wrote: »
    So, athletes come out against him saying he's done sh1t, and then a report comes out saying he's denied investigators access to files that they'd need to fully prove if he and his athletes are cheating or not, and you think it's all garbage?

Until they prove sh1t, yes it is garbage. Mo is spot on. If you have something to show, show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Until they prove sh1t, yes it is garbage. Mo is spot on. If you have something to show, show it.

Why so much hate for Mo?

It's not like he is running against world class runners at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Hard to show it unless they get access to the records though, no, barring another athlete coming out with his own records and proving he was doped.

Why so much hate for Mo?

It's not like he is running against world class runners at the moment

What are you talking about?

titan18 wrote: »
    Hard to show it unless they get access to the records though, no, barring another athlete coming out with his own records and proving he was doped.

Surely he would fail a drug testing? Or IAAF need to change their tests?

He has done nothing to suggest he cheated

• Advertisement

What are you talking about?

So many people saying he cheated

From Mo himself:

C5mA8BqWMAAfkPc.jpg

Mo is a proven and consistent liar so I would take anything he says with more than a pinch of salt. Remember that time he said he didn't know who Jama Aden was after Aden got busted and that Aden simply "held a stopwatch for Mo". And then in his own autobiography it's turn out they have actually been friends for years.

Any athlete who takes prescription drugs with no medical need, solely for performance benefits is hugely questionable, even if he's not a doper. Especially an athlete who has made a remarkable improvement late on in his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Salazar operates right on the limits always did always will, i'm sure he's strayed beyond it at times, but he is too careful and too smart to get caught.

People are getting ethics and morals mixed up with doping. What he is does is not tasteful, he just uses every possible thing he can get away with (bullying officials at meets etc etc)

If his athletes are doping ( ie taking banned substances) they'd be caught along tine ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

You rarely miss an opportunity to insult people who see things differently to you. Some people are suspicious, understandable in the times we live in. There is a hell of a lot of smoke around Salazar. Proving rule breaking can be quite difficult as we have seen over and over again. The East Germans were never caught back in the day, FloJo never failed a test as far as I know. Michelle Smith didn't actually fail a doping test. Did someone say Lance?? So, unless you're a proven drug cheat, then by definition you're 'clean'. In 99.9% of cases the cheats say, 'I'm clean.... I've never been caught'.
    What are they going to say? But people being suspicious and probing when there are indications of wrong doing.... That doesn't make them idiots. Same as athletes not failing a test doesn't always equal clean.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Mo is a proven and consistent liar so I would take anything he says with more than a pinch of salt. Remember that time he said he didn't know who Jama Aden was after Aden got busted and that Aden simply "held a stopwatch for Mo". And then in his own autobiography it's turn out they have actually been friends for years.

Any athlete who takes prescription drugs with no medical need, solely for performance benefits is hugely questionable, even if he's not a doper. Especially an athlete who has made a remarkable improvement late on in his career.

Is there that much progression. He has ran sub 13min since 2003.

His 1500m time has improved by 7 secs.

His 10,000 over ten years has improved by 40 secs.

Itziger wrote: »
    You rarely miss an opportunity to insult people who see things differently to you. .

You one of these idiots?

Being suspicious and asking questions is one thing; flat out claiming an athelete's a cheat with 0 evidence is where the idiots come in.

Anyone with half a brain who researches Mo and his times and improvements could not ever put it down to only being the result of PEDs..his main PBs to the best of my knowledge don't make the top ten times in any distance.

Btw, referencing drugs cheats in the 70s and 80s to today's climate and standards is idiotic. There was no drugs testing worth a damn in those times.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Salazar is a prick and a successful wanker and doesn't give a **** who he upsets to keep his athletes winning.

People get that confused with be a coach that cheats with banned substances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

jamule wrote: »

If his athletes are doping ( ie taking banned substances) they'd be caught along tine ago.

You know that's not true.

Advertisement