Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Try with a revolut card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

degsie wrote: »
    Try with a revolut card.

Cool, cheers.

I'm on a waiting list for one due to high demand apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

degsie wrote: »
    Try with a revolut card.

Is this the only way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Jesus, just so the thread doesn't go any further off course, even Apple have an article on how to do it. If you can't do this, how are you going to get the echo to work??

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204034

tallpaul wrote: »
    Jesus, just so the thread doesn't go any further off course, even Apple have an article on how to do it. If you can't do this, how are you going to get the echo to work??

Fine in theory, but this method didn't work for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

tallpaul wrote: »

I'm sure we're both well able to use Google. So what you posted doesn't work. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

Roen wrote: »
    I'm sure we're both well able to use Google. So what you posted doesn't work. Well done.

Okay, got this to work for me. Set up a new iTunes account on laptop, and set address as UK and no payment option - selected "None". Then logged out of my original iTunes account on iphone, logged back in using new UK login, and downloaded app. Hope this works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

It really does work. I`ve done it numerous times without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭Doodah7

How come I have both a UK and US iTunes accounts by following the indtructions. Are you trying to register on the UK store after logging out of your Irish account? It's very straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

bk wrote: »
    Does it work with IFTTT?

IFTTT is currently not working in the UK and Ireland. However it does work on Amazon US Echo's so it will likely come eventually to UK and Ireland.

However an alternative service Yonomi does work with Amazon Echo and works very well.

Although IFTTT says it's US only I got a recipe to work fine. Basic one that emails me a shopping list when I ask Alexa what's in it. That said I do have an Amazon.com account as well that I used years ago when I got a Kindle brought back from the US so it may be using that. Both accounts are linked and I bought the Echo Dot from the UK. I'll try some more ifttt recipes and see if they work too.

• Advertisement

Kurn wrote: »
    I often wondered is that because of the fada on R. I always have trouble with the RTE stations

2FM and Lyric work fine. For Radio 1 it seems GH has the same issue according to the GH thread. But this works:
    "play 88.5 RTE radio one on Tunein"

Orion wrote: »
    Although IFTTT says it's US only I got a recipe to work fine. Basic one that emails me a shopping list when I ask Alexa what's in it. That said I do have an Amazon.com account as well that I used years ago when I got a Kindle brought back from the US so it may be using that. Both accounts are linked and I bought the Echo Dot from the UK. I'll try some more ifttt recipes and see if they work too.

This was because of my US account. Seems my Amazon Marketplace was set to .com - this meant my Dots were set up as US devices. So no UK regional skills etc. Sorted now so while I have two UK dots I no longer have IFTTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I got my dot delivered last night, have to say I'm very impressed with it. The microphone is amazing, I was worried about putting it up on top of my kitchen cupboards but it even picks me up outside the kitchen.

Haven't dont too much other than spotify at the moment, which i think to be honest is nearly worth the price of the dot alone.

I was also playing around with an arduino board with it. Someone made a example sketch that allowed the arduino to emulate being a Belkin Wemo plug which is supported by the Echo. I ported this example into a library which should make it easier to use

Here is a blurry, portrait video showing it working.

What's pretty cool about it is it allows you to name your device and use that device name on your Alexa command (Alexa, turn "christmas lights" on). It only supports on or off commands. I was just playing around with an LED last night, but if you paired it up with a relay you could switch on and off most things.

I think the best thing about this is just how cheap the arduinos are! Boards that support this are less than $3 delivered from aliexpress

and the relay I mentioned is $0.55 delivered (be careful with these, there is a current limit on them. High current devices such as electric heaters / hair dryers etc could cause fires!)

So for less than $3.50 and some wires to hook it up you can start smartifying stuff around the house! The board is powered by a standard micro usb cable so you will need that too.

There is also these guys for $6.36, which are basically the same as above but in a nice package but they would be a small bit more advanced as you need to hook an external programmer to it (while the arduino ones are just micro usb)

They are a little cheaper on their own site but postage is $8.35, might work out if you are buying a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭oinkely

I got my dot delivered last night, have to say I'm very impressed with it. The microphone is amazing, I was worried about putting it up on top of my kitchen cupboards but it even picks me up outside the kitchen.

Haven't dont too much other than spotify at the moment, which i think to be honest is nearly worth the price of the dot alone.

I was also playing around with an arduino board with it. Someone made a example sketch that allowed the arduino to emulate being a Belkin Wemo plug which is supported by the Echo. I ported this example into a library which should make it easier to use

Here is a blurry, portrait video showing it working.

What's pretty cool about it is it allows you to name your device and use that device name on your Alexa command (Alexa, turn "christmas lights" on). It only supports on or off commands. I was just playing around with an LED last night, but if you paired it up with a relay you could switch on and off most things.

I think the best thing about this is just how cheap the arduinos are! Boards that support this are less than $3 delivered from aliexpress

and the relay I mentioned is $0.55 delivered (be careful with these, there is a current limit on them. High current devices such as electric heaters / hair dryers etc could cause fires!)

So for less than $3.50 and some wires to hook it up you can start smartifying stuff around the house! The board is powered by a standard micro usb cable so you will need that too.

There is also these guys for $6.36, which are basically the same as above but in a nice package but they would be a small bit more advanced as you need to hook an external programmer to it (while the arduino ones are just micro usb)

They are a little cheaper on their own site but postage is $8.35, might work out if you are buying a few.

Cheeky question but could you point me to a dummies guide for getting started in this? Very interested in what is involved, and coming from a totally non-programming background.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

oinkely wrote: »
    Cheeky question but could you point me to a dummies guide for getting started in this? Very interested in what is involved, and coming from a totally non-programming background.

Hey, nothing cheeky about it!

I think the best way to get started is to pick up an arduino starter kit.

Here is one from Aliexpress for $8 - Probably wont be here for Christmas
    Similar on Amazon for 14 pound

This contains everything you need to get started with Arduino, its not a wifi enabled one so you wont be able to use it with the Echo, but this is the most common type of Arduino so it will have the most tutorials online etc.

I've watched a couple of the introduction to Arduino videos and I think this is the best

Programming in Arduino is pretty straight forward, but it does have the added complexity of learning some electronics as well. What is good about it is once you figure out how to light an led on and off you can swap out a lot of different things.

I really recommend giving it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Has anyone managed an address in galway that it will accept, this is doing my tits in!

bidiots wrote: »
    Has anyone managed an address in galway that it will accept, this is doing my tits in!

Just give it an address anywhere in Ireland. I'm in Kildare and I used O'Connell St in Dublin. It's only for the timezone anyway really seeing as Ireland isn't supported. For weather use Big Sky and you can specify your actual address on that site anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Orion wrote: »
    Just give it an address anywhere in Ireland. I'm in Kildare and I used O'Connell St in Dublin. It's only for the timezone anyway really seeing as Ireland isn't supported. For weather use Big Sky and you can specify your actual address on that site anyway.

Did it take an O'Connell street address? Can you post it here? I ended up using a Belfast one and wrecks my head with the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

kennM wrote: »
    Did it take an O'Connell street address? Can you post it here? I ended up using a Belfast one and wrecks my head with the weather

Get the Big Sky skill for the weather. You then enter your address on Big Sky(so can put your exact address) when wanting to know the weather just say "Alexa open Big Sky" or something similar and you will get your local weather.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

can someone please give the details on how to install the Alexa app in ireland?

can't find the instructions for getting around the lack of availability in ireland from standard store and VPNs dont work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

corvus4906 wrote: »

can't find the instructions for getting around the lack of availability in ireland from standard store and VPNs dont work

On Android phone download the apk on this link. First make sure you have allowed unknown sources in security section of phone settings.

https://apkpure.com/amazon-alexa/com.amazon.dee.app

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭corvus4906

givecredit wrote: »
    On Android phone download the apk on this link. First make sure you have allowed unknown sources in security section of phone settings.

https://apkpure.com/amazon-alexa/com.amazon.dee.app

thank you very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Pinkman

Has anyone had problems linking it to Audible? It says I have no audiobooks in my Liabry but when I go onto Audible.co.uk I have 3 from when I was on the 90 day trial.Do you have to be an active member for them to show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭chasm

Hi Guys, i have only had my echo dot for a few days so i'm just getting used to it, so apologies if this is a daft question, but twice today my dot has randomly spoken, the last time at 1.11 to say the time, i went into the recordings on my settings to listen back and it is just some faint background noise from the tv and there is nothing said on the programme that sounds remotely like the "wake up word" - Was i wrong to assume that the dot only records once it is activated by the wake up word, as it is slightly worrying that it seems to wake itself up and record - the blue light did not come on either, like it does when i activate it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

chasm wrote: »
    Hi Guys, i have only had my echo dot for a few days so i'm just getting used to it, so apologies if this is a daft question, but twice today my dot has randomly spoken, the last time at 1.11 to say the time, i went into the recordings on my settings to listen back and it is just some faint background noise from the tv and there is nothing said on the programme that sounds remotely like the "wake up word" - Was i wrong to assume that the dot only records once it is activated by the wake up word, as it is slightly worrying that it seems to wake itself up and record - the blue light did not come on either, like it does when i activate it.

Was the TV on at the time? Amazon has ads on TV at the moment about the Echo where they say the wake command in the ad and it causes your Echo to briefly wake up and start listening!

I think it is hilarious, they seem to have programmed it that after a second it recognises the wake command and then turns back off straight away. When this happens, the blue light comes on momentarily, maybe you just didn't notice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Zascar wrote: »

Looks interesting. I think the Hamrony Hub is better for this, however at that price it could be worth a go, if you don't mind it not working out and lose your money *

* I went for a kickstarter HA tech more then 2 years ago and still haven't received the item! I remain suspicious of anything of kickstarter nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭chasm

bk wrote: »
    Was the TV on at the time? Amazon has ads on TV at the moment about the Echo where they say the wake command in the ad and it causes your Echo to briefly wake up and start listening!

I think it is hilarious, they seem to have programmed it that after a second it recognises the wake command and then turns back off straight away. When this happens, the blue light comes on momentarily, maybe you just didn't notice.

Yes the tv was on, i listened back to the recordings, they aren't the echo adverts just tv programmes. One of the recordings does sound vaguely like it says alexa, the other one doesnt! I notice there are quite a few recordings listed that state : "Text not available - click to play recording. Voice request not intended for your echo - nothing was returned." I've played them back and there's a couple of clips of Leader's Questions" and can hear myself making tea lol

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

corvus4906 wrote: »

You can also install it through Aptoide (Another app store basically) ... that's all I did. Then uninstalled Aptoide afterwards.

• Advertisement

chasm wrote: »
    Yes the tv was on, i listened back to the recordings, they aren't the echo adverts just tv programmes. One of the recordings does sound vaguely like it says alexa, the other one doesnt! I notice there are quite a few recordings listed that state : "Text not available - click to play recording. Voice request not intended for your echo - nothing was returned." I've played them back and there's a couple of clips of Leader's Questions" and can hear myself making tea lol

How to you listen to the recordings?

Advertisement