Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

Flights arriving from Ireland are treated like UK domestic flights so yes, there is no passport control.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭pauraic1990

thank,

Was hoping to be able to use the Airside Flight Transfer Centre in Manchester without having to exit Custom and walk to Terminal 2 from terminal 1 and join the queue for security.

I have 2 hours and 30 minutes connection time so plenty of time.

thank,

Was hoping to be able to use the Airside Flight Transfer Centre in Manchester without having to exit Custom and walk to Terminal 2 from terminal 1 and join the queue for security.

I have 2 hours and 30 minutes connection time so plenty of time.

I've never connected in Manchester but when I flew there with Aer Lingus we were bussed from the aircraft to the domestic arrivals which pretty much takes you straight into the baggage reclaim.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

If I book Aer Lingus and Iberia flights individually rather than on the same booking when I check in could I get my bags to be transferred to the next flight as they are both under the IAG umbrella? Or would I have to check in my luggage again? Any help much appreciated.

It should be possible. Aer Lingus have an interline agreement with Iberia.
    https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/checked-baggage/#/tab-2-partner-airlines

I'm not sure if it being on separate bookings matters as I don't think EI and IB flights can be booked as a single booking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

Yeah, the Aer Lingus website won't let me book that route and the Iberia website only gives the option of using their own service out of Dublin which is three times the price of purchasing the flights individually.

Make sure you have plenty of time to connect in Madrid as you will have to change terminals (by free shuttle bus) and since the flights are booked seperately, Iberia will not rebook you free of charge if you miss your flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

I saw one for EI DUB-LAX a few months ago but cannot find it. Does anyone have a location for it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

knockon wrote: »
    I saw one for EI DUB-LAX a few months ago but cannot find it. Does anyone have a location for it?

There are loads on youtube if you search for them

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

knockon wrote: »

*Edited: I travelled Ethiopian Airlines Dub - Lax within the last few weeks. I found it grand, I believe the plane was a 787-8 Dreamliner but not sure, someone can probably confirm, it had a 3-3-3 seat formation. Found it comfortable, plenty leg room (I have flown over / back to America with British Airways and AA and found I had more leg room with Ethiopian Airlines). In flight entertainment in back of each headrest, meals (Meal was okay, slightly bland but okay - I brought a sandwich with me. Made it at home, wrapped it in tin foil and it was no problem going through security etc. I had read before you can do this but can now confirm you can - *Edit - as highlighted by next poster this is because you don't go through CBP in Dublin).

I had read online that the plane can be messy and people laying across rows of seats / in the wrong seats after the first leg stops in Dublin, but I didn't encounter any issues like this when I boarded in Dublin. Plane wasn't full, over and back I had a spare seat beside me. Clearance in LAX was relatively quick, although I was told the queue when we arrived was very short and it can take much longer, took us probably 15-20 minutes. You go to a touch screen machine first, then it gives a print out receipt and a person then advises you which queue to join. All in all I had no issues, I would travel this route again no problem, maybe I got lucky as it wasn't summer so it wasn't as busy. Traffic in Los Angeles can be mental though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

JIdontknow wrote: »
    I brought a sandwich with me. Made it at home, wrapped it in tin foil and it was no problem going through security etc. I had read before you can do this but can now confirm you can

Most sandwich fillings won't make it through CBP - no butter, no meat, no cheese and expect some time arguing that the vegan butter alternative you used actually is that... Ethiopian are the only airline that fly Dublin to the US and don't use CBP at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

L1011 wrote: »
    Most sandwich fillings won't make it through CBP - no butter, no meat, no cheese and expect some time arguing that the vegan butter alternative you used actually is that... Ethiopian are the only airline that fly Dublin to the US and don't use CBP at the moment.

Thanks, have edited my post to include this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Just checking to make sure it's ok to pack my bluetooth speaker in my luggage. I can't find any information about what type of battery it has. It's a Bose Soundlink III https://www.bose.ie/en_ie/support/products/portable_speakers_support/soundlink-bluetooth-speaker-iii.html#SupportTabs_tab0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

mel.b wrote: »
    Just checking to make sure it's ok to pack my bluetooth speaker in my luggage. I can't find any information about what type of battery it has. It's a Bose Soundlink III https://www.bose.ie/en_ie/support/products/portable_speakers_support/soundlink-bluetooth-speaker-iii.html#SupportTabs_tab0

You will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

You will be fine.

Thanks. Wasn’t sure with the regulations about lithium batteries (or if it even has a lithium battery!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I want to bring my 27” iMac from Dublin to Luxembourg. I’ve emigrated there

I really don’t fancy putting it in the hold. Even if I wrapped in bubble wrap and a blanket it’s still very fragile. I can’t bring as carryon as it’s too big

I am willing to buy a second seat. I’ve seen people do this with guitars.

My computer would easily fit in a seat. Would Ryanair allow this maybe? Thanks :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

mikemac2 wrote: »

I really don’t fancy putting it in the hold. Even if I wrapped in bubble wrap and a blanket it’s still very fragile. I can’t bring as carryon as it’s too big

My computer would easily fit in a seat. Would Ryanair allow this maybe? Thanks :)

You're going to have to ask the carrier you plan to travel with, the only issue I can see is that something like a guitar, or wedding dress, is light in relation to the size, whereas there's some weight to a screen compared to the size, so there may be issues about that from a safety point of view, and no one here can give you a definitive answer.

It will be down to your chosen carrier, and if they do agree, print the relevant E-mails and take them with you on the trip, the left hand and the right hand don't always communicate well in this sort of situation.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Guitars are strapped in the seat for the flight.

Can the computer fit inside a wheelie bag, might be the best way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Same PC that LTT discovered Apple can't repair - no process has been created for it yet.
    Height: 45.0 cm (17.7 inches)

Width: 52.8 cm (20.8 inches)

Stand depth: 17.5 cm (6.9 inches)

Weight: 5.66 kg (12.5 pounds)2

Pelican Case IMO. iM2875 will apparently fit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I have a large wheely bag but the 27 inch screen won’t fit. Oh it’s frustratingly close but just a little too big

I asked Ryanair on the chat and told them the size and weight and they said sure no problem to buy a second seat

I’ve taken a screenshot and will print it and bring a copy in case I get questioned at the gate

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

I have a large wheely bag but the 27 inch screen won’t fit. Oh it’s frustratingly close but just a little too big

I asked Ryanair on the chat and told them the size and weight and they said sure no problem to buy a second seat

I’ve taken a screenshot and will print it and bring a copy in case I get questioned at the gate

Thanks all

No being smart but just because someone on a chat told you it’s ok doesn’t mean it will be, these guys on the chats don’t work near the airport and don’t deal with these kinds of things everyday. Hopefully it will be ok but at the end of the day it will be down to the flight dispatcher who will tell you if it can travel in an extra seat or not, they’re the ones who deal with this type of thing all the time and will know the rules and regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

billie1b wrote: »
    No being smart but just because someone on a chat told you it’s ok doesn’t mean it will be, these guys on the chats don’t work near the airport and don’t deal with these kinds of things everyday. Hopefully it will be ok but at the end of the day it will be down to the flight dispatcher who will tell you if it can travel in an extra seat or not, they’re the ones who deal with this type of thing all the time and will know the rules and regulations.

Would such an event not represent a complete lack of communication? You'd imagine if you are told something through their own support channels it would accurate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Would such an event not represent a complete lack of communication? You'd imagine if you are told something through their own support channels it would accurate!

Yes it does represent a complete lack of communication, unfortunately it does happen with all airlines, the staff aren’t perfect and it usually happens that staff in the office media/communication section have absolutely no knowledge of what goes on on the ground and what can and cannot be carried etc, they’re just getting the answers to questions from a FAQ list, it doesn’t go into much detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Can you legally buy and use a 2nd seat for your own comfort?
    Yeah but non-officially, when the false person doesn’t show at check in the seat is forfeited

Thanks all
    If you do go with this option make sure you purchase a window and middle seat, any object such an an instrument MUST ONLY be secured in the window, an instrument or other object will never be allowed to block passengers into a row of seats, I highly doubt the call centres staff know the highly regulated rules that must be enforced related to cabin safety. You will hopefully be allowed to keep your bag under the window seat if you sit in the middle. Provided it can be secured under that seat. The seat will not be permitted to be occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yeah but non-officially, when the false person doesn’t show at check in the seat is forfeited

online check in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Locker10a wrote: »

looks official

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/Special-assistance/Can-I-purchase-an-extra-seat-for-a-large-person

Advertisement