Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

U2 Songs of Innocence

Options
  • 09-09-2014 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Dave Fanning playing U2s new album right now on 2FM.
    I nearly crashed the car when it came on!

Also FREE to download on iTunes.

Enjoy:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Apple just announced the new U2 album is available free to all itunes customers until October 13th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Mind blown!!

On first listen it sounds very........very good. Good man DangerMouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭gymman39

yes first listen is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭moby2101

Just finished listening..
    It's a bloody good album..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

It's excellent alright.

First 3 tracks are on the face iof it the big hitters. US audience will lap them up.
    Rest of the album is like a story telling of U2 in the 70's in Ireland.
    Fantastic listening. Really sublime stuff..

• Advertisement

Can't say there's a bad track yet. And another album to come, Songs of Experience, confirmed by Bono on U2.com. Exciting times ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

Just finished listening. Great album! It was worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I dig this album. I have no more to say at the moment until I listen to it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

I've yet to find my usual 2 to 3 songs on every album that I never listen to again.

Each and every song appeals to me.

Every breaking wave is standing out for me right now though I know that'll change many times over the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Will need to listen to this at some point today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Tried to go on iTunes store this morning but it kept crashing. Then I read after that it automatically appears in your Purchased section? I didn't look in there. Do you have to physically download them still?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

It shows up as "purchased" on icloud.

You just hit the cloud the start the download.

Ive only listened to it once but enjoyed it.

Edge's trademark guitar sound is notable by its absense, or at least its featured very sparsely.

Looking forward to listening to it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 piersquared

Tried to go on iTunes store this morning but it kept crashing. Then I read after that it automatically appears in your Purchased section? I didn't look in there. Do you have to physically download them still?

Store seems to be working now. When I went to the store it said it was downloaded but I couldn't see it in my purchased items. Easiest thing to do is sign out of itunes and then click on the free option on the album to download. Then sign in when prompted and it downloads and appears in purchased playlist.

On first play sounds like a decent album..

I read that you have to click the Purchased link in iTunes store and then the Cloud button to download it.

SO glad the Edge's guitar sound isn't featured - I'd grown well sick of that in fairness! Gutted I couldn't get this in time this morning - will have to wait till this evening to get it.

It showed as purchased for me. I signed out and back in and it showed as free and allowed me to click the free button and the download started.

I really love it. The songs are so interesting. I can't see many of them winning over any people who already don't like U2. Maybe The Troubles due to Lykke Li's presence. But for fans I would imagine most of us are delighted.

So it only works if you sign out? Trying to download on my iPhone but I don't see any Cloud symbol to click.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

So it only works if you sign out? Trying to download on my iPhone but I don't see any Cloud symbol to click.

For those having trouble getting this on your phone as it's a bit of a pain do this.

Open iTunes -> More -> Purchased -> Music -> Various

In there you should see the cloud so you can now download.

Got it. Thanks.

Does anyone know that if you download it on your phone, can you still download it on your iTunes on your PC? I don't normally use my iPhone for music and will want to get it onto my iPod later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If this is free to download, how much will it cost if I want to buy it on CD?

Won't be available to buy in stores until October 13th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It wouldn't work for me, told me it was there, marked purchased but yet no cloud sign, no way to download it and all I could do was listen to 1:30 of each tune.

So here is how to fix it.

In Preferences, Store tab, bottom section

Tick box to "Show iTunes in the Cloud Purchases"

Then go into your music library, scroll down to U2, the album is there for you to download

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Listened to it 3 times, glad it was free, It's pure muck, what a disappointment.

You must really have wanted to like it:D

If something sounds pure muck to me on 1st listen, it generally doesn't change on 2nd, 3rd, 4th listens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

The Oct 13th release will come as a delux package, featuring 4 additional songs and an accoustic version of one of the 11 tracks from the free download.

Listened to the first four or five songs... was pretty good, not ground breaking but at the same time a little different from the last two albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Listened to it a couple of times now and its definitely a solid album. As with the last couple of albums, there's a few great moments and lots of OK ones. Not going to be up there with their best work but its definitely a step up from HTDAAB. Must go back and listen to NLOTH again to see how it compares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Han534

Got it for free great album

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Listened to it a couple of times now and its definitely a solid album. As with the last couple of albums, there's a few great moments and lots of OK ones. Not going to be up there with their best work but its definitely a step up from HTDAAB. Must go back and listen to NLOTH again to see how it compares.

I found I disliked about 90% of NLOTH immediately, and my opinion didn't change. I disliked most of HTDAAB as well, with the exception of one or two songs. None feature in my regular listening.

However I found I enjoyed these new ones more straight away - I listened to them walking through town, sun shining, so that helped...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

A magnificent return to form following the decidedly mediocre (by U2's standards) No Line On The Horizon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Interested to know what the U2 fans think?

I have always liked them, but in the two albums preceding this there are only two songs I would return to, the brilliant Sometimes you cant make it on your own, and another song off the last album, the last song, cant remember its name.

I listened to In Gods Country as a compare and contrast, as a few of the new songs I thought had a similar guitar sound.

There are two problems with recent U2 as I see it...

(I) they are over produced, and in particular they take ages to get to the point, the start goes on for ages, the song kicks in proper after 30 or 40 seconds. Cedarwood Road is a good example on the new album. Decent riff for the first 20 seconds, but then the riff disappears. In Gods Country gets straight to the point in contrast.

(II) Bono's vocals (I) he is writing an essay for every song. With rock music, simple is better. and (II) Bono's vocals are too clearly enunciated, which means you cant gloss over a dud lyric.

To be fair, the new album seems less guilty on both fronts and there seem to be a few very decent tunes.

Advertisement