Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

jay0109 wrote: »
    Racism is a pandemic (including here in Ireland) according to the lad on now so the march going ahead last week and next Saturday is ok with him. Sara lets him off with that.

Clare Daly supports that viewpoint...these protests cannot and shouldn't be stopped. I hope her voters are listening

I'm all for taking a stand against against injustice (I obviously missed the protests against the mistreatment of the Uighur minority outside the Chinese embassy or against the Khashoggi killing outside the Saudi embassy), but justifying and encouraging mass gatherings at this time needs to be challenged.

I think Sarah Mc has been doing a good job. She's taken a plunge for me after that dire lack of questioning...truly abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭purifol0

Orion wrote: »
    I'm sorry if you're offended.

Universities award PhDs for extended work on a topic. It's not a course. Educate yourself and maybe you'll become more tolerant.

We should never tolerate the likes of Ebun Joseph who lie their ass off for a chance to get more state funding and a higher public profile. She's an utter charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Ireland as most countries has some casual racism but I think some of this comes from people growing up with not many other nationalities or ethnicities around, Ireland was a lot different just 20 years ago.

But what really doesn't help is the likes of the loons on earlier absolutely exagerating the level of racism here and comparing Ireland to America, it can sour peoples level of acceptance.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,924 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Racism is a pandemic (including here in Ireland) according to the lad on now so the march going ahead last week and next Saturday is ok with him. Sara lets him off with that.

Clare Daly supports that viewpoint...these protests cannot and shouldn't be stopped. I hope her voters are listening

They would still back her.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,924 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That Dr was on with D'arcy yesterday and more or less got him to apologise for being a white male.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Claire calling for the sending home of the US Ambassador.

Good luck with that. Those protesting the other day want even closer ties with America not less.

That proposition would test their so called liberalness.

Klonker wrote: »
    Ireland as most countries has some casual racism but I think some of this comes from people growing up with not many other nationalities or ethnicities around, Ireland was a lot different just 20 years ago.

But what really doesn't help is the likes of the loons on earlier absolutely exagerating the level of racism here and comparing Ireland to America, it can sour peoples level of acceptance.

I don't understand why the media here doesn't focus on racism here and treat America differently. It's almost as if the killing last week happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

NIMAN wrote: »
    That Dr was on with D'arcy yesterday and more or less got him to apologise for being a white male.

No surprise there then, he is an embarrassment to the male species.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭purifol0

I don't understand why the media here doesn't focus on racism here and treat America differently. It's almost as if the killing last week happened here.

This is a real issue with the Soft Power that the US has via exported media. RTE however does not have any excuse. We get more US news than EU and barely any international at all, there's no rush to import European media either or indeed any other country. It's US culture all the way

Meanwhile in the US the people are isolated from outside cultural influence by the simple fact that when a US company buys the rights for a TV show like the invetweeners or shameless or The Office it always get remade to a US version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

Josepha Madigan has just called a minutes silence in the Dáil for all those killed world wide by racism. And Dáil time has being set aside next week to debate racism in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Josepha Madigan has just called a minutes silence in the Dáil for all those killed world wide by racism. And Dáil time has being set aside next week to debate racism in Ireland.

Its getting beyond a joke at this stage,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

The current circus of a dail hasn't even elected a Taoiseach/Government yet FOUR MONTHS after it was elected.

Does she include racism towards Travellers on that one?

purifol0 wrote: »
    This is a real issue with the Soft Power that the US has via exported media. RTE however does not have any excuse. We get more US news than EU and barely any international at all, there's no rush to import European media either or indeed any other country. It's US culture all the way

Meanwhile in the US the people are isolated from outside cultural influence by the simple fact that when a US company buys the rights for a TV show like the invetweeners or shameless or The Office it always get remade to a US version.

Yep the over focus on US stories is leading us to become more and more insular. The Journal will have several US related stories daily . They just seem to copy and paste anything from US news websites.

Irish Times is writing editorials on Trump. Comical given he's not our president.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Great that the Dail have little else to worry about. Like the formation of some kind of government for starters.

Yep the over focus on US stories is leading us to become more and more insular. The Journal will have several US related stories. They just seem to copy and paste anything from US news websites.

Irish Times is writing editorials on Trump. Comical given he's not our president.

Its no surprise the likes of the Journal is on its last legs,

Madigan was the one early on in this pandemic giving out about the Dail meeting at all.

Madigan was the one early on in this pandemic giving out about the Dail meeting at all.

Nothing about the thousands that marched the weekend though.

mgn wrote: »
    Its no surprise the likes of the Journal is on its last legs,

I think the Journal has a poll on US politics every second day at this stage. How is this site taken seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think the Journal has a poll on US politics every second day at this stage. How is this site taken seriously?

What is it with you and your abhorrence of things from America being discussed. The world is a smaller place than ever before and with the amount of American businesses in Ireland, and Irish people in America, it is to be expected that people pay close attention to what goes on there.

Not to mention the role plays in the worlds political and economic spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Does she include racism towards Travellers on that one?

No such thing.

What is it with you and your abhorrence of things from America being discussed. The world is a smaller place than ever before and with the amount of American businesses in Ireland, and Irish people in America, it is to be expected that people pay close attention to what goes on there.

Not to mention the role plays in the worlds political and economic spaces.

Of course, but since Trump it's gone off the planet with the loss of focus on Irish domestic issues. It's a serious point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What was the course she got a PhD in???? :rolleyes:

one of those grievance studies doctorates

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

NIMAN wrote: »

doesnt D,arcy appologize for that every day anyway or is it having a willy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,034 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    doesnt D,arcy appologize for that every day anyway or is it having a willy ?

Fairly hefty weapon, they say.

Gave her a swing at a Tunic event and apparently was quite weighty.

So I’m told annaway......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

padd b1975 wrote: »
    No such thing.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

sligojoek wrote: »
    Great that the Dail have little else to worry about. Like the formation of some kind of government for starters.

Why should everyday Dail business be concerned with Govt formation? That process is taking place outside

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Why should everyday Dail business be concerned with Govt formation? That process is taking place outside

Fair enough but I'd rather see precious Dail time being used for something more constructive.

I can't imagine all the racists in the USA sitting down streaming the RTE player through a VPN and saying "Hey man, the Irish want us to stop being racist. We'll call it off at noon tomorrow."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭boardise

This is ludicrous pandering on an epic scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

boardise wrote: »
    This is ludicrous pandering on an epic scale.

Reading several of the threads across Boards, and watching Irish people of different ethnic backgrounds on Twitter would indicate that a debate on racism in Ireland is not necessarily a bad thing.

It's not so long ago that mixed race couple felt they had to move out of Ireland because of the abuse they received for having taken part in an advertisement campaign for Lidl.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement