Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you leave your doors unlocked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Aha! See that's where you're wrong.

I don't really lock my kitchen door when I'm out, I just said that so nobody who knows where I live would try to burgle me.

Suckers!

Fooled them big time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Locked all the time, even when I'm in. I've had drunk people just trying to open my front door too many times (I live in a block of flats in central Belfast).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Edgware wrote: »
    I do. And I leave my Rottweiler untied to roam from room to room

I used to look after one of those in the DSPCA we were scared she would get protective of her room. But she was as sweet as anything to anyone who came by even strangers who were visiting. :)

Not they actually make the best guard dogs too friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

wakka12 wrote: »
    In case somebody tries to rob something?My mothers handbag was robbed from the entrance hall just beside the door. Somebody quietly opened the door and nicked it in two seconds flat, she was just cooking down in the kitchen and didnt notice until hours late. Obviously went around to all the doors in the area checking them. We live in an extremely safe suburb of dublin

Anyone who calls over will of course ring and not just walk right in so I dont see what the point is at all. It takes absolutely no effort and youre just asking for trouble, no matter how small the chances of it happening may be

Are you sure it a safe suburb? You know in Dublin, near many good areas, theres a heap of "bad flats" to speak. I got mugged near Deansgrange which is close to some sketchy areas of Dun Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

After seeing my admission that my door is unlocked 24/7 in black and white, I realise how ridiculous it is and shall go to the hardware shop tomorrow for a new lock barrel thingy.

• Advertisement

When going to bed at night or if gone for the day but doors left open all day if we are around, gone out the farm or only gone to town etc for shortish periods.

None of us carry a key, last person in at night locks up and if going out and no one is around or going to be back soon then key is hidden.

We don’t even have keys for the garages etc so they are never locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Live in rural Ireland....doors locked every night and when I leave the house.

Occasionally work in Dublin, doors locked while driving......read an article (decades ago) about guys in Dublin throwing rats in to the car and then robbing bags, gramophones etc during the ensuing melee.

fineso.mom wrote: »
    After seeing my admission that my door is unlocked 24/7 in black and white, I realise how ridiculous it is and shall go to the hardware shop tomorrow for a new lock barrel thingy.

On the other hand, if you live in a secluded spot, and don't have a house alarm, you'd almost be as well off not to lock your door.

I mentioned earlier being burgled one Christmas. We hadn't locked the back door, but there were a few internal doors that were locked. That was a big mistake. The cnuts just kicked in the doors, assuming (wrongly) that if they were locked, there must be something valuable inside.

Obviously none of this applies if you live in an urban area and have an alarm system. But even since I've moved to Dublin, I've never locked an interior door. New doors can cost a fortune to replace, you might as well let them have a snoop and walk off empty-handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I even lock it when i am in! I don't live in a bad area either. Never realized this was strange!

I even lock it when i am in! I don't live in a bad area either. Never realized this was strange!

To be fair, as I said, for every "good" area in Dublin there's a whole load of bad flats likely to be nearby. Not offensive but true.

I lived in Deansgrange and almost got robbed, hassled by both teenagers and an old guy. Near a bunch of bad areas close to Dun Laoghaire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

On the other hand, if you live in a secluded spot, and don't have a house alarm, you'd almost be as well off not to lock your door.

I mentioned earlier being burgled one Christmas. We hadn't locked the back door, but there were a few internal doors that were locked. That was a big mistake. The cnuts just kicked in the doors, assuming (wrongly) that if they were locked, there must be something valuable inside.

Obviously none of this applies if you live in an urban area and have an alarm system. But even since I've moved to Dublin, I've never locked an interior door. New doors can cost a fortune to replace, you might as well let them have a snoop and walk off empty-handed.

a few years ago a local womans house was robbed. she had every door locked , they broke in all the doors and distroyed them all including the frame and door. it cost thousands to replace them all

Always lock the doors..... I'd be afraid my stash of medicine and tools would be taken.... Drugs and guns ;-)

a few years ago a local womans house was robbed. she had every door locked , they broke in all the doors and distroyed them all including the frame and door. it cost thousands to replace them all

That's insurance there.... But disgusting at the same time.... I fookin hate thieving backstards

Always lock the doors..... I'd be afraid my stash of medicine and tools would be taken.... Drugs and guns ;-)

Speaking of, with all the rampant drug use in Ireland, wouldn't buying constantly from a dealer put you at a risk of getting robbed even with no debts?

It would show you have spare money around the house, drugs, or just a scapegoat incase the dealer gets busted.

She probably had quite old internal doors and replaced them with something decent. We couldn't afford to replace ours with anything decent and still have these obnoxious, ugly mdf doors from Woodies to replace some of the old ones that were destroyed. So pointless.

Don't lock your interior doors when you're out of the house, they're easily kicked-in and it simply isn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Locked when I leave and when I go to bed.
    Always unlocked when I am in the house and awake.

Friend locks his door even when he and his wife are in the house. I hate it. Has put me off visiting even as I pick up a paranoid vibe at the idea that when two adults are in a house it MUST be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

She probably had quite old internal doors and replaced them with something decent. We couldn't afford to replace ours with anything decent and still have these obnoxious, ugly mdf doors from Woodies to replace some of the old ones that were destroyed. So pointless.

Don't lock your interior doors when you're out of the house, they're easily kicked-in and it simply isn't worth it.

no. the house has recently been done up and all doors and frames were lovely oak paneled doors. all totally distroyed and beat to crap with a nail bar . its a shame really. repalced with the same

Locked when I leave and when I go to bed.
    Always unlocked when I am in the house and awake.

Friend locks his door even when he and his wife are in the house. I hate it. Has put me off visiting even as I pick up a paranoid vibe at the idea that when two adults are in a house it MUST be locked.

You wouldn't be saying that after you have some absolute tool let themselves in ..

You aren't standing watching the door.

It's nothing to do with paranoia it's been proactive....

Be safe try and keep it as safe as possible so cut out risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Growing up in the countryside we only locked the door at night or when we went away, thats what I still do now but at my parents house the back door is normally wide open if there home

You wouldn't be saying that after you have some absolute tool let themselves in ..

You aren't standing watching the door.

It's nothing to do with paranoia it's been proactive....

Be safe try and keep it as safe as possible so cut out risks.

They are on the same page as you (well, she is).

You can go through life being extremely paranoid or you can realise that for the vast majority of people, the vast majority of time, they will not have any such issues. I can understand people in flats (given the traffic and the difficulty often in identifying which flat is which), I can understand those in areas in which there is high crime but I do not like the idea that everyone should do so as a matter of extra caution.

Do you and your partner sleep in shifts in case someone bypasses the window alarm sensor. You know, being pro-active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Do you and your partner sleep in shifts in case someone bypasses the window alarm sensor. You know, being pro-active.

You could do that, but it's a lot easier to just lock the door.

It does happen occasionally that people can have things knicked from their house even if they're in it at the time. Locking the door isn't extreme paranoia, it's just common sense.

I used to live in an apartment block when from time to time, usually late on a Saturday night, some totally pissed person would mistakenly try the door on the apartment because they weren't 100% sure where they were or what number apartment they were supposed to be looking for. Harmless enough really, but still annoying. You don't have to shepard them out of your front room and explain to them repeatedly that they've got the wrong flat if your door is locked in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Doors are unlocked when we are at home and locked when we are not. Sometimes we forget to lock at night. We live ruraly and while we have neighbours close by it's not neighbourhood that would be attractive to opportunistic break ins. If someone decides to get into our house they will come equipped and possibly do some damage. An odd druggie trying to get money for next hit is not what we beed to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Nice try OP! I see what you’re up to... AND I DONT LIKE IT ONE BIT!

Arghus wrote: »
    You could do that, but it's a lot easier to just lock the door.

It does happen occasionally that people can have things knicked from their house even if they're in it at the time. Locking the door isn't extreme paranoia, it's just common sense.

I used to live in an apartment block when from time to time, usually late on a Saturday night, some totally pissed person would mistakenly try the door on the apartment because they weren't 100% sure where they were or what number apartment they were supposed to be looking for. Harmless enough really, but still annoying. You don't have to shepard them out of your front room and explain to them repeatedly that they've got the wrong flat if your door is locked in the first place.

I already said that locking doors in apartments is understandable.
    I can understand people in flats (given the traffic and the difficulty often in identifying which flat is which), I can understand those in areas in which there is high crime but I do not like the idea that everyone should do so as a matter of extra caution.

Still disagree that it is common sense for the majority of people.

They are on the same page as you (well, she is).

You can go through life being extremely paranoid or you can realise that for the vast majority of people, the vast majority of time, they will not have any such issues. I can understand people in flats (given the traffic and the difficulty often in identifying which flat is which), I can understand those in areas in which there is high crime but I do not like the idea that everyone should do so as a matter of extra caution.

No not at all....

I've seen many things and unfortunately been the one that seems to have more sh1t thrown my way then others.

During the day if kid is out playing doors are open including windows but if everyone is in doors are locked.

Now with it hot everything is open but ground floor locked up at night.

Have a dog now but she will lick one to death and will do anything to lick your face or head....

Neighbours houses robbed while they're asleep etc so don't want that ...m

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Some days I do some days I don't. There is almost nothing in the house worth taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

unless you were elderly why would you lock your front door if you were in the house?

Only one door here and yes locked in the day as one of the cats can open if unlocked and let wind and wet and midges in.

Just habit to lock if away for hours but if eg working at the church, stays unlocked. One of the blessings of a small island..

Reminds me of when I lived in Orkney and the police boasted there had never been a successful car theft in the islands,,, Only way off was the ferry.. ;)

PS not sure what age has to do with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭threetrees

Housing estate here and house is always locked unless the kids are outside and the door is on the latch.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Its careless I know but my house is not really visible from the road so only my friends,family,neibhbours and postman know where I am.

That's exactly the kind of house that the nacks look for, out of the way from the road so they can't be seen. They'll scope it out first by pretending they want to sell you something, or asking if you've any scrap metal. I live in a rural area and that's happened countless times in the area. I live in an extremely visible and prominent house on a main road and they've never called to me, they only go to the houses down the laneways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

anacc wrote: »
    That's exactly the kind of house that the nacks look for, out of the way from the road so they can't be seen. They'll scope it out first by pretending they want to sell you something, or asking if you've any scrap metal. I live in a rural area and that's happened countless times in the area. I live in an extremely visible and prominent house on a main road and they've never called to me, they only go to the houses down the laneways.

Madly google maps have helped them pick out houses that can't be seen by neighbours

Advertisement