Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fed up of hearing about Shane Lowry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Yeah less of Lowry and more Gangland, or how about Brexit or some other miserable sh*te... Get a grip. What a win... Suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

bobbyss wrote: »
    Endless stuff. Theresa Mannion did a bad job on the tv last night from his clubhouse. But have had enough at this stage. Who shares this fedupness? How do you escape it? Start a thread on boards?

He won a major international sporting event playing against the best in the world. I say let him have all the coverage coming his way. He deserves it and sadly it'll be gone in a couple of days as the rest of the summer will be full of wall to wall Dublin media coverage of the Dubs winning an Irish only competition for the who cares any more time in a row. In two months we'll be hanging for a genuine sporting achievement like Shane's.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Endless stuff. Theresa Mannion did a bad job on the tv last night from his clubhouse. But have had enough at this stage. Who shares this fedupness? How do you escape it? Start a thread on boards?

Jesus it's not even twenty four hours. Ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Well my view on golf courses is lay concrete over the lot of em and build bloody houses not grown men using sticks and little balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I tell ya what. He is far more worthy of airwaves than those Irish saps on Love Island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Well my view on golf courses is lay concrete over the lot of em and build bloody houses not grown men using sticks and little balls.

So edgy

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    You've obviously never played a round of 18 holes. You need to be physically fit and strong.

Or you can rent a golf cart...

In fairness, it's not like he landed on the moon.
    Although that would be one hell of shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Where do you actually get bombarded by this stuff? These threads always give me the impression there's 50 for billboards on every corner, and people shouting about it on the streets.
    My only experience, and the only reason I know who he is, was my dad taking about it for an hour yesterday.
    If I hadn't seen him, I'd still be oblivious.
    That said, in quit Facebook a whole back, and don't use Instagram or Twitter.
    Only place I see this stuff is on board, and would usually just ignore as another "sports guy did sports stuff" thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

As the man himself would say "ah ya fxckin idiot"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Cop on rory, you were crap,if it was you we'd never hear the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Not nearly as annoying as the Women's Hockey Team.

Completely forgotten about now of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Have the English claimed his as theirs yet since the win?

Not yet, but we're still going on about a Ray Houghton goal from 31 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ahh you can’t beat the Irish

Begrudge everyone of everything

It’s not even 24 hours, I said your mother was boasting about you doing a number 2 in pottie longer than the Lowry hype has gone on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

w/s/p/c/ wrote:
    Golf is a hobby, not a sport............

Possibly so, but at Shane's level it is quite lucrative and tough. Not a fan myself but I don't begrudge him the win or his time in the limelight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

He's likeable unlike that cabbage patch kid from county down who can't decide what his nationality is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

If it's that head-wrecking for you, why were you posting in the Golf forum yesterday? Let Shane have his glory. There will be more footage of him returning to Esker Hills (his own golf club) today or tomorrow, and then it'll be a fading memory.

As for that netball on BBC for the past week...!!! :mad: :pac: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

This was the biggest sporting event ever held on the island (no Monty, the Ryder Cup is not really bigger). Abroad technically, but still. And great majority of the fans there were Irish.
    An Irish man wins one of the most coveted sporting titles there is. Only the second Irish man to win a major golf title. And an genuine nice guy, who has been up and down and fought his way back to form to beat a very tough field of competition, in all manner of testing conditions, on a truly outstanding world class golf course, shooting a round on Saturday that ranks with the best any of the past golfing greats have done. Bloody impressive.
    He deserves the spotlight and recognition thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

c.p.w.g.w wrote:
    You've obviously never played a round of 18 holes. You need to be physically fit and strong.

It was a magnificent achievement no doubt about that. And fair play to him. I wouldn't take anything away from him and he has done the country proud.

As regards a golfer needing to be physically fit I agree with you. Phil Nicholson acknowledged being overweight (and presumably feeling unfit) and I read somewhere in an effort to lose weight he lost eight pounds, was it, in one week.

This was the biggest sporting event ever held on the island (no Monty, the Ryder Cup is not really bigger). Abroad technically, but still. And great majority of the fans there were Irish.
    An Irish man wins one of the most coveted sporting titles there is. Only the second Irish man to win a major golf title. And an genuine nice guy, who has been up and down and fought his way back to form to beat a very tough field of competition, in all manner of testing conditions, on a truly outstanding world class golf course, shooting a round on Saturday that ranks with the best any of the past golfing greats have done. Bloody impressive.
    He deserves the spotlight and recognition thoroughly.

By jove, this one's sincere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

And we give out about the English when they do it! We are far worse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Golf is not a sport.
    When a fat overweight "athlete" can win Wimbledon or a world cup medal, then yeah sure it's a sport, untill then it's the same ****e as Darts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Golf is not a sport.
    When a fat overweight "athlete" can win Wimbledon or a world cup medal, then yeah sure it's a sport, untill then it's the same ****e as Darts

So boxing isn’t a sport either then ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

By jove, this one's sincere.

Well more than two Irishmen have won majors

• Registered Users Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Not yet, but we're still going on about a Ray Houghton goal from 31 years ago.

Who is a Scotsman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Golf is not a sport.

Ask me bollox.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Golf is not a sport.

Golf is a sport whether you like it or not.

Irish begrudgery is alive and well anyway.

Super achievement for the Irish, loving the coverage, delighted for an Irish sportsman who seems like an all round sound guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I hate Golf with a passion but fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't know why people always go on about this "Irish begrudgery" thing though. Any small success in anything is all over the media and everyone talks about it. I think it's quite the opposite of begrudgery for success in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well, I think it's rather refreshing to be hearing about an Irish person enjoying success in a major international-class sporting event who isn't technically from the United Kingdom. :D

Advertisement