Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Naturally, inland stations will be warmer in summer and colder in winter than coastal stations though there is a UHI effect for urban based stations like Phoenix Park and then there's stations like Shannon Airport which has been a highly debatable station since the June 2018 heatwave (rightly so).

Shannon easily has the highest summer mean temperature (1981-2010) of 15.6c whilst Knock Airport has a summer mean temperature of 13.3c (which is not surprising given the fact that it is on a hill if I remember correctly). In terms of Dublin stations, Phoenix Park has the slight edge over Casement Aerodrome due to the UHI effect that I mentioned with a summer mean temperature of 14.8c whilst Casement has 14.7c.

Mullingar has the coldest winter mean temperature (with the exception of Knock Airport) with 4.7c whilst Sherkin Island has the warmest at 7.7c. In terms of Dublin stations, Casement Aerodrome is the coldest with a mean temperature of 5.2c.

In terms of the current 25 synoptic stations, it is indeed and it's the highest since 20 July 2013. Highest minima on record using these stations' data:

1. 19.3c on 20 July 2013 (Belmullet)
    2. 19.0c on 14 July 1983 (Cork Airport)
    2b. 19.0c on 2 August 1995 (Roches Point)
    2c. 19.0c on 3 August 1995 (Shannon Airport)
    3. 18.9c on 22 July 2019 (Shannon Airport)
    4. 18.6c on 13 July 1983 (Shannon Airport)
    5. 18.5c on 2 July 1976 (Belmullet)
    5b. 18.5c on 23 August 2003 (Shannon Airport)

18.4c at Phoenix Park as a minimum on 6th September 2016.. no wonder why I hated that night.

Data from Met Éireann.

Amazed 2018 isn't on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

4pm

Malin head 25 degrees
    Mount Dillon 25 degrees
    Phoenix park 24 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Winds gone onshore so it seems in Dublin with a drop at both DA and PP, though still a lovely 24 there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

John.Icy wrote: »
    Winds gone onshore so it seems in Dublin with a drop at both DA and PP, though still a lovely 24 there.

Yip. 23.5c now in Dublin 16. Got to 25.2c earlier.

Meanwhile....

33c at Heathrow (London) atm and a couple of stations reporting 41c in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yip. 23.5c now in Dublin 16. Got to 25.2c earlier.

Meanwhile....

33c at Heathrow (London) atm and a couple of stations reporting 41c in France.

Average weather for all 3 locations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Amazed 2018 isn't on that list.

2018 tended to have more comfortable nights due to the exceptionally dry nature of the weather like a desert climate. There was also a lack of southerly to southeasterly plumes which tend to be associated with the warmest nights.

The highest at Shannon Airport as an example for instance in 2018 was 16.7c on 2nd August, compared to 18.9c yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭compsys

Average weather for all 3 locations

Average for July in Dublin is 20 degrees really. Fractionally lower in more northern and western areas. Maybe a tiny bit higher in south west and midlands.

So 25 is a good bit above average no matter what way you’re looking at it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

At least you had the last week good. It’s another rubbish day here today cloudy misty and dark. I’m all over the midlands today and it’s replicated from Laois Kildare into Offaly.

Im in Portarlington and the Sun blazing down most of the afternoon , in slipped in and out between the clouds at times but great day for the most part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Situation at 430 pm
    Gin blue over a lot of the country
    No complaints

c83a3d7789e325dca27d59d9df70b1c2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah lovely evening now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudy all day in cork city, about 18 degrees. Not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice and warm in Donegal though mostly cloudy all day. Thinning out nicely now though of course the one remaining area of cloud has been plonked in front of the sun for the past half an hour :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like Ireland misses out on yet another heatwave, the temperatures across the UK even up to northern Scotland look very impressive, with only Ireland, Northern Ireland and the extreme south-west of the UK missing out on the heat. The UK is likely to be hotter than the weather i'm enjoying in southern spain. Could still get to 22 or 23C at times in Ireland over the next few days, which is still pleasantly warm for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

They can keep their heatwave who wants to be burned alive with 37 degree heat...feck that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like Ireland misses out on yet another heatwave, the temperatures across the UK even up to northern Scotland look very impressive, with only Ireland, Northern Ireland and the extreme south-west of the UK missing out on the heat. The UK is likely to be hotter than the weather i'm enjoying in southern spain. Could still get to 22 or 23C at times in Ireland over the next few days, which is still pleasantly warm for most people.

Wouldn't say we've missed out. A few days of 27 in Dublin isn't exactly missing out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Very sticky and humid here in Newcastle. Temp still 24c with 68% humidity. Sparse clouds. Going to be a difficult nights sleep and I see wasps have suddenly show up in my house

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Still very warm in North Dublin. Not much breeze to speak of either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Lovely evening in Dublin with variable cloud and sunshine to conclude a fantastic summer day. I’m dared to say the best of the season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Another miserable day in Cork city just pure p1sh dark grey bit of mist just rubbish weather again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Heatwave!!! Its misting rain here at the moment! Wexford/wicklow border. Raging as I didnt finish cutting the grass yesterday as it was supposed to be nice today!

Yep it was mad. I left a lovely morning in Dublin + hit this crap weather there. It reminded me if why I would never holiday in Ireland for my main summer break.

Thankfully I got out in park this evening back in Dublin + we left at nearly 8 + it was still lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

mean gene wrote: »
    Another miserable day in Cork city just pure p1sh dark grey bit of mist just rubbish weather again

Same in mid cork been drizzling all.dsy, lots of cloud, feels as if the temps have been rising in the last 90min, it's so humid now.

I couldn't sleep last night with heat. It was just stifling.

Now bear in mind that I have slept with 10 Tog duvet all rest of summer no problem so it's rare I would be too warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wasn't drizzling in cork city but was grey skies and 18 degrees all day. Clearing slightly now. Bit late though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭giveitholly

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Lovely evening in Dublin with variable cloud and sunshine to conclude a fantastic summer day. I’m dared to say the best of the season.

Syran what were your predictions for August? a quick summary would do, Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

No significant sunshine here since last Saturday and, while it was mainly dry up to this evening, there has been quite persistent rainfall for the last half hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Each to their own of course but I really don't get the unbearable stifling heat comments over the past few days, this is the first time all summer I've felt in my element, best evening of the summer here with clear skies and nice muggy warmth

Overall I think this July has being super in Dublin anyway for an Irish summer. Very pleasant temperatures all throughout the month + more importantly very few rain days. Not wall to wall sunshine all the time but it is Ireland.

We have got to do so much as a family even though still working during the week. Every weekend you can get out + most evenings. I think with June been so horrible we are not taking a second of good weather for granted when it comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's still 18.1C here in Glasnevin after a high today of 25.8C.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Rain turning somewhat heavier here now.

Advertisement