Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Child v spousal maintenance

• 19-07-2019 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Thanks all for reading. Apologies if this has been covered before.

In the middle of family mediation. The mediator came up with 1000 a month maintenance based on our finances. We taken a short break from the mediation process while we both get legal advise. I met with a family law solicitor. He advised that 1000 seemed high based on our circumstances. I think this was in relation to child maintenance. He also advised that there would be spousal maintenance and one would be taxable/ tax deducatble. I can’t remember which. And I can’t remember what is included in child v spousal.

Anyone with knowledge of this I’d very much appreciate you filling in the blanks for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shay_od1990

Is she working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

She isn’t but is starting a new job in September and will likely have higher pay than me. Will probably use her mother for minding kids so Creche fees will not arise.

Also to note I take kids from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon. I see them twice during week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Maintenance paid in respect of children is tax free to your Spouse, maintenance paid in respect of herself is taxable to her

How many kids and what ages?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shay_od1990

She isn’t but is starting a new job in September and will likely have higher pay than me. Will probably use her mother for minding kids so Creche fees will not arise.

Also to note I take kids from Friday evening until Sunday afternoon. I see them twice during week as well.

Then 1000 is far too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Stanford wrote: »
    How many kids and what ages?

2 kids age 5and 7

Expect average maintenance for each kid to be €125 each pw or €1000 per month in total plus whatever your spouse claims for her upkeep, if she is well advised she will try to maximise the maintenance for the kids as that is paid directly tax free to her

Advertisement