Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2017 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Women have wanted to be ogled by men for 10000 years, nothing changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

RosyLily wrote: »
    I rolled my eyes so hard reading that. Trying to make a story out of nothing. Why not bring this up the first time Serena posed for the magazine? Or write the article about the other female players who appeared? If Serena posing in her swimsuit "sabotages the equality battle" then we haven't come very far.

She mentioned the other female tennis players who were in it as well. It's just they're not as good as Serena Williams so them being the attention of the article wouldn't be of as much interest to the people who read the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Is Sharapova back in time for Wimbledon this year?

If so, I wonder will the crowd be very cool in their reception

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

She's back in April I think, in time for the clay season. Sharapova already has WCs for Madrid and Stuttgart. I'd imagine other tournaments will follow.

It'll be interesting to see what reaction she'll get from the crowds. The locker room will be cold anyway....she was never the most popular. I kinda want her to be in FU mode and demolish players. Be the villian Djokovic doesn't want to be!:pac: I look forward to her match against Cibulkova in particular!

Why is that RosyLily? Is there some beef between Maria and Dominica (sp?) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hunchback wrote: »
    Why is that RosyLily? Is there some beef between Maria and Dominica (sp?) ?

This is why. She didn't hold back :pac: Mladenovic had similar thoughts. Even as a big Sharapova fan, I admired Cibulkova and Mladenovic for their honesty and not conforming to the usual PR crap.

She's back in a little over two months in Stuttgart, with Madrid shortly afterwards. Unlike the ATP, the WTA have a rule that if a player has won a slam or been world #1, they can have unlimited wildcards, so Sharapova can apply for a wildcard at any tournament she wants to enter. And let's be honest here, she's highly unlikely to get refused any. Will be fascinating to see how it all pans out, both to see the reception she gets and what her level will be like.

Agreed completely. I recall reading earlier in the thread that the medication in question had been prescibed to Sharapova on a very long term basis.

It will be very interesting indeed to see if there is a drop-off in intensity and strength.

I certainly hope there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

RosyLily wrote: »
    She's back in April I think, in time for the clay season. Sharapova already has WCs for Madrid and Stuttgart. I'd imagine other tournaments will follow.

It'll be interesting to see what reaction she'll get from the crowds. The locker room will be cold anyway....she was never the most popular. I kinda want her to be in FU mode and demolish players. Be the villian Djokovic doesn't want to be!:pac: I look forward to her match against Cibulkova in particular!

Why would you want to see a drug cheat winning?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Why would you want to see a drug cheat winning?

Perhaps because what she was taking only became illegal in January last year. She 'cheated', if you can even call it that, for one tournament, where she lost in the QF's to Serena as always. She also lost her prize money and points for that tournament. If it was EPO that she tested positive for I'm certain that most would feel differently and she'd receive very little support.

Perhaps because what she was taking only became illegal in January last year. She 'cheated', if you can even call it that, for one tournament, where she lost in the QF's to Serena as always. She also lost her prize money and points for that tournament. If it was EPO that she tested positive for I'm certain that most would feel differently and she'd receive very little support.

Check this out:

https://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php?threads/victor-conte-implicates-maria-sharapova-for-doping.444876/

She's so dodgy. Why associate yourself with guys like this?

• Advertisement

Well bloody done to Elina Svitolina, wins Dubai and reaches top ten for the first time. Still don't think she'll ever be able to cut it at the slams, but we shall see. Hope she has the good sense to pull out of Kuala Lumpur now, defending champion or not.

Would be a perfect weekend if Safarova could win Budapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

If you are taking a plethora of drugs (16 pills as day?) that you don't need, for medical reasons, you're a doper, whether they are illegal or not.

If you are taking a plethora of drugs (16 pills as day?) that you don't need, for medical reasons, you're a doper, whether they are illegal or not.

How do you define whether you need the pills or not?

If someone takes a throat lozenge to help a sore throat and it helps them perform better is that not doping as well? A sore throat won't kill you so you don't need to take something to deal with it but yet it can have a performance enhancing affect.You could say the same for a tablet to deal with a headache,painkilling injection etc.

The whole idea around what drugs are and are not allowed is so arbitrary that it makes the whole idea that catching drugs cheats is actually about fairness complete bull.Sport is inherently unfair to begin with as people have physical advantages compared to others.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of what she was doing and her intention to gain an advantage, prior to January 1st 2016 she wasn't cheating.

The only way to get to a place where there is complete fairness regarding drugs is to simply not allow players to take any tablets or injections of any kind throughout their career and if they need to take something they have to remove themselves from competing until such time that it is out of there system.If I was a player I honestly think for peace of mind it's probably what I would do and then you would never have any fear of being caught for anything.

How do you define whether you need the pills or not?

If someone takes a throat lozenge to help a sore throat and it helps them perform better is that not doping as well? A sore throat won't kill you so you don't need to take something to deal with it but yet it can have a performance enhancing affect.You could say the same for a tablet to deal with a headache,painkilling injection etc.

The whole idea around what drugs are and are not allowed is so arbitrary that it makes the whole idea that catching drugs cheats is actually about fairness complete bull.Sport is inherently unfair to begin with as people have physical advantages compared to others.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of what she was doing and her intention to gain an advantage, prior to January 1st 2016 she wasn't cheating.

The only way to get to a place where there is complete fairness regarding drugs is to simply not allow players to take any tablets or injections of any kind throughout their career and if they need to take something they have to remove themselves from competing until such time that it is out of there system.If I was a player I honestly think for peace of mind it's probably what I would do and then you would never have any fear of being caught for anything.

Get out of it. Are you seriously comparing throat losanges to the stuff Sharapova has been taking for years which is supposedly prescribed by her family doctor, yet not available in USA. There's more holes in her story than Swiss cheese in a shooting gallery. If this was Mo Farah everyone would assume guilt. The tennis community seem to turn a blind eye to doping. It's rampant but the ATP and WTA don't want it exposed.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Get out of it. Are you seriously comparing throat losanges to the stuff Sharapova has been taking for years which is supposedly prescribed by her family doctor, yet not available in USA. There's more holes in her story than Swiss cheese in a shooting gallery. If this was Mo Farah everyone would assume guilt. The tennis community seem to turn a blind eye to doping. It's rampant but the ATP and WTA don't want it exposed.

I'm not saying they are comparable what I am saying is that people take substances that are allowed but have a performance enhancing effect.Every tablet you take has some performance enhancing effect.Where do you draw the line between what is and is not considered to be enough of a performance enhancer that it should be banned?it's all very arbitrary.

Prior to January 2016 she wasn't breaking any rules as what she was taking was allowed.

I'm not saying they are comparable what I am saying is that people take substances that are allowed but have a performance enhancing effect.Every tablet you take has some performance enhancing effect.Where do you draw the line between what is and is not considered to be enough of a performance enhancer that it should be banned?it's all very arbitrary.

Prior to January 2016 she wasn't breaking any rules as what she was taking was allowed.

That substance is all we know about. Look at my post the other day about her links with Conte. Again if that was Farah it would be hot topic, yet how many tennis fans even know that one of the most infamous doping doctors said he worked with Sharapova, along with Rusedski, Chang and Lendl? I bet very few. Tennis community prefers to keep their heads buried in the sand and don't question curious stuff.

If these 16 pills a day are legal, then no, you're not a doper. Whether you think differently or not matters not one jot, what you're saying is factually incorrect. She 'doped' (that we know of) for one tournament ever, the Australian Open 2016.

If these 16 pills a day are legal, then no, you're not a doper. Whether you think differently or not matters not one jot, what you're saying is factually incorrect. She 'doped' (that we know of) for one tournament ever, the Australian Open 2016.

If you take performance enhancing drugs you are a doper. She only broke the rules in 2016 but she was doping all along

Athletes were taking epo for years before it was banned and athletes today are miles ahead of testers, taking drugs that the authorities will eventually ban. They are dopers and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

If you take performance enhancing drugs you are a doper. She only broke the rules in 2016 but she was doping all along

Athletes were taking epo for years before it was banned and athletes today are miles ahead of testers, taking drugs that the authorities will eventually ban. They are dopers and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

Not when they're legal tho.

Not when they're legal tho.

Yes when they are legal. Brad wiggins took cortisone to help him win grand tours, he got tue's, wasn't breaking rules, but was doping, he didn't need the meds

• Advertisement

So are Serena, Venus and Nadal all dopers too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Getting back to tennis matters. I see that Wawrinka continues not to give a crap about the ATP tour losing his opening round match in dubai 7-6, 6-3 against Dzumher.

So are Serena, Venus and Nadal all dopers too?

If you apply my logic you'll find my answer.

Shahar Pe'er has announced her retirement at age 29. She's been out for about 2 years due to chronic shoulder inflammation. She won 5 singles titles and had a career high ranking of 11.

Shahar has had a pretty good career. Israel isn't exactly known for its tennis. Can't believe she's only 29!

Sharapova has got a wildcard into Rome now :pac: Would be kinda hilarious if RG refused her!

Andy Murray has spoken out against giving wildcards to players that have served doping bans. Link

I'd agree with him. It feels like Sharapova is being rewarded. Imo she should have to go through qualifying and work her way back. But I can also see it from the tournament organisers' view. They're running a business. Sharapova is a big name in tennis and she will draw crowds (and money) for them. I'd say a lot of people would be interested in seeing Maria play and what reaction she'll get from opponents, fans and the media.

Fed beaten by Donskoy in Dubai, blew 3 match points.

Djokovic beats delpo in 3 tight sets in Acapulco

Murray just won a 2nd set tie-break 20-18 against Kohlschreiber, saving seven match points!

• Advertisement

Murray just won a 2nd set tie-break 20-18 against Kohlschreiber, saving seven match points!

Saved break points early in 3rd before winning it 6-1 too.

Advertisement