Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Golf Tips Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Risky. If he makes any kind of good start at all his price will collapse. Even if he starts slow his price won't do what you want it to. He'll need to throw in a take of bogies, in which case his price mightn't disappear, but his chance probably will.

Tiger price wont go out much til after 2nd round if he outside 6 shots from lead....

Anyone thinking justin rose next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

jjll wrote: »
    Anyone thinking justin rose next week
    Yeah before I saw his putting 2 weeks ago

I think this Billy Horshell @12/1 is way too short.Looking at him last week i would say when it comes to a crunch in a pretty big comp like this week his emotions will get the better of him.
    I'm not saying he won't win 1 it's just the prices for him imo are way too short,time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I think this Billy Horshell @12/1 is way too short.Looking at him last week i would say when it comes to a crunch in a pretty big comp like this week his emotions will get the better of him.
    I'm not saying he won't win 1 it's just the prices for him imo are way too short,time will tell.

It's golf, that's just the bookies not taking any chances.

• Advertisement

Can still see billy blowing up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

jjll wrote: »
    Can still see billy blowing up

Either can I. Took him at 5/4 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

small bet on ryan palmer now @22\1

Please don't think I'm being arrogant here...I don't know it all, but i am a very experienced golf punter.

NEVER back a player on a Sunday who had a whopper of a day on the saturday. 98% of golfers, in my experience of watching golf, and i watch ALOT, can never follow a great day with even a good day. They are nearly always over par or Par.

Palmer had one of the best rounds yesterday and he's working on a horror round today. Same with bud cauley...and basically anyone else who had a great round yesterday. If you think I'm talking nonsense, keep an eye on it. :)

Billy Horschel's short game, the last two days anyway, is among the worst I've seen in a long time. His driving is superb but he is turning birdie chances into bogies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Billy Horschel's short game, the last two days anyway, is among the worst I've seen in a long time. His driving is superb but he is turning birdie chances into bogies

he scrambled brilliantly yesterday and his putting has been the best in the whole tournament

redzerdrog wrote: »
    he scrambled brilliantly yesterday and his putting has been the best in the whole tournament

I mean with his lofted clubs...if you've been watching you'll know that he's used them very poorly. Driver and putter saving him

I mean with his lofted clubs...if you've been watching you'll know that he's used them very poorly. Driver and putter saving him

so you mean his wedges and not his short game at all and yes i have been watching and his short game has been brilliant but his wedges/short irons have been wayward

so you mean his wedges and not his short game at all and yes i have been watching and his short game has been brilliant but his wedges/short irons have been wayward

You're splitting heirs now. If you have been watching, then you know what I meant.

I'm kinda rooting for him now.

That was a lot better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Laird was 50/1 with PP just before today's round, and was only 4 back from the lead.

goin with phil after reading he is not carrying a driver this week he is taking that modified 3 wood out same one he won with and hit 85% of fairways that week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

US MASTERS 2013

KEEGAN BRADLEY @ 28/1 I have been backing Bradley all season and he is going to come good soon, he already has a host of top 10 finishes this season. He definitely has the long game to match Augusta. I mentioned him a few weeks ago when he was available at 40/1 so I hope some people got on him back then. If it comes to Sunday and he is in contention there are not many people I would rather be on. And some more incentive for you, Keegan has been playing a few practice rounds and getting some extra course knowledge from a close friend and someone who knows the course as well as anyone, Phil Mickelson.

MATT KUCHAR @ 35/1 Kuchar has had a nice year so far that includes 1 win at the WGC matchplay. He has good performances in all of the majors so we know that the pressure does not get to him, his best finish at a major in T3 at The Masters last year.

My outsider pick will be RICHARD STERNE @ 200/1 He hasn't played on the European Tour since his easy victory over Charl at the Joburg Open, he has played a few Sunshine Tour events to keep his game in check before his big week. He had a tie for 25th in his only other appearance here in 2008 so that is not a bad showing for a first timer. I think he will surprise a few this week. Also might be worth noting that before Schwartzels win in the 2011 Masters he also won the Joburg Open.

I have also backed, Dustin Johnson @ 28/1, Gonzo @ 200/1, Fredrik Jacobson @ 125/1 and Brian Gay @ 300/1. After reading Mickelson will not take a driver I will also have a bit on him.

Whether I win a cent or not I think this is going to be a great weekends golf. So many players playing in to form at just the right time. Good luck everyone.

am gona back mickelson each/way but just deciding which to go with:

16/1 paying 5 places
    or
    12/1 paying 6 places

am gona back mickelson each/way but just deciding which to go with:

16/1 paying 5 places
    or
    12/1 paying 6 places

he will be in top5 i would say never far away at augusta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

Have gone for a few straight win bets on BF. Will look to trade just to cover my stakes if I get the chance.

Mickelson @ 15
    Knows how to do it and if he can get in the mix on Sunday he's the player I'd like to have my money on. I don't think he's playing his best at the moment but if he can just stay in touch with the leaders by the weekend he'll go close.

Bradley @ 42
    I got that price a couple of weeks ago, it was my only early bet as I fancied he might do well at Houston. In the end he was only tied for 10th but his price has come in a bit anyway. High, straight and long off the tee which should give him a chance if he's in form with the putter.

Rickie Fowler @ 70
    Has done okay at Augusta so far - two years ago he was 5 under going into the weekend but fell away. Last year he was never in contention but did okay at the weekend with 72, 70. I was impressed with his chase of Tiger at Bay Hill even if he eventually came up short. I just think he might have served his apprenticeship on the course and could put four rounds together this year.

Thorbjorn Olesen @ 240
    Shot in the dark admittedly, has been injured and had to withdraw from Houston - has brought his price out. Just a massive talent and if he is able to swing the club properly he could be a 'story'. Obviously lack of practice and lack of course knowledge are issues but I just had a gut feeling he might go under the radar and would be cursing myself all weekend if he did get in contention.

The prices are mad,none of the top half of the field want this so i think the prices should be reversed.
    Anyway......for starters i'm on [EMAIL="Olesen@66/1"]Olesen@66/1[/EMAIL] , Brian gay @50/1 and David [EMAIL="Toms@66/1"]Toms@66/1[/EMAIL].

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The prices are mad,none of the top half of the field want this so i think the prices should be reversed.
    Anyway......for starters i'm on [EMAIL="Olesen@66/1"]Olesen@66/1[/EMAIL] , Brian gay @50/1 and David [EMAIL="Toms@66/1"]Toms@66/1[/EMAIL].

Does this be televised at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Walter lemon

brian Gay at 300/1
    Henrik Stenson 60/1
    Bubba Watson 35/1
    Bill Hass 66/1
    Colsaerts 90/1
    Sterne 150/1
    Kuchar 35/1
    Sergio Garcia 40/1
    Snedeker 35/1
    Harrington 55/1

I have a feeling a European might nick it??

All small bets, hoping on some return, all in all I love the masters and cannot wait for the coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Does this be televised at all?

Yeah - live on Sky Sports 1 HD tonight. Wozniaki is caddying for McIlroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Yeah - live on Sky Sports 1 HD tonight. Wozniaki is caddying for McIlroy.

Cheers :D

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Good to see a few of us the same golfers, we'll crash n burn together so :D

All placed in the last week or so:

Rose @ 20/1
    Bradley @ 28/1
    Oosthuizen @ 28/1
    Kuchar @ 35/1
    Garcia @ 40/1
    Stenson @ 50/1
    Jacobsen @ 125/1

Been awhile since I've had more than 5 bets in an event but I like all of these so I'll go with the flow.

i have a small ante post win bet on Kucher @60/1.
    I think the newcomer that might surprise is Scott Piercy @225/1.
    He didn't get a great draw though,paired with 2 top players so won't be able to go under the radar for the first 2 days.
    Havn't decided on my other bets yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

D Johnson @ 33/1
    B Watson @ 35/1
    R Fowler @ 50/1
    I Poulter @ 40/1

N Colsaerts @ 100/1
    B Gay @ 200/1
    G Fernandez Castano @ 200/1

Love the masters and love the fact that it's on the Bbc. I don't know is it to do with watching it years ago as a kid but there's just something special about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Walter lemon

Even the fact that they do the preview and the build up on bbc its magic stuff

Crazy the differences in odds on golfers, brian gay is 300/1 with pp and i got colsaertd at 90?

Advertisement