Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

St. Marnocks Bay - Dun Si

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

House Hunt wrote: »
    Not sure what the developer is playing at here. Just today, half the HTB stock removed from availabilty ahead of next week's launch. Leaves around 7 units available under HTB and they are the less desirable units, east facing and overlooked front and back with smaller gardens on the end of terrace units.

Is the demand not as great as we are being told for the finches gate units to be pulled at the last minute ahead of launch?

Maybe going for social housing
    Council could have bought them

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭House Hunt

brisan wrote: »
    Maybe going for social housing
    Council could have bought them

Surely that would have already been known about long before today.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sparkle109

Hi thanks for posting this. Where did you get this info, and which ones are the finches gates units?
    We were interested in these houses and the info available just keeps changing...
    Thanks

Not sure what the developer is playing at here. Just today, half the HTB stock removed from availabilty ahead of next week's launch. Leaves around 7 units available under HTB and they are the less desirable units, east facing and overlooked front and back with smaller gardens on the end of terrace units.

Is the demand not as great as we are being told for the finches gate units to be pulled at the last minute ahead of launch?

sparkle109 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for posting this. Where did you get this info, and which ones are the finches gates units?
    We were interested in these houses and the info available just keeps changing...
    Thanks

All the info is publicly available on the website's siteplan

Thanks, I’d seen it last week but doesn’t seem to have changed? There was always a small number for HTB and the semi detached and some end of terrace priced over 500 so exempt?
    All the info is publicly available on the website's siteplan

• Advertisement

Thanks, I’d seen it last week but doesn’t seem to have changed? There was always a small number for HTB and the semi detached and some end of terrace priced over 500 so exempt?

It has changed. The units on Finches Gate were in colour last week but are now greyed out because they are unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

chinguetti wrote: »
    I've lived in Portmarnock for over 3 years in 2 estates under the flight path and you do get used to the planes and the noises. After a while you don't notice them and only notice when they're not flying or heading into the airport from a different direction. I can understand the noise isn't for all but the new runway I believe is going to change the direction the planes come in from.

Also there's 2 creches already under the flight path across the road so if that's the reason there's isn't a third, its a strange one.

Incorrect. The new runway is parallel to current main runway 10/28. So no change in direction other than being slightly more northerly. In the perfect world it will actually allow for more aircraft using dual runways. One for departures and other for arrivals.
    New regs regarding noise were introduced after the original Kilns development were built.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 YGG

Re noise, just moved in to the development and the noise level is fine. We are currently living on a main road in Ballsbridge and the noise from the road is much louder than the development.

Re Skylark, the foreman told me that viewings have already started - maybe that's why some properties have been greyed out?

YGG wrote: »
    Re noise, just moved in to the development and the noise level is fine. We are currently living on a main road in Ballsbridge and the noise from the road is much louder than the development.

Re Skylark, the foreman told me that viewings have already started - maybe that's why some properties have been greyed out?
    Dublin Airport is operating at about 10% capacity at present

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Rickytumtum

For those wondering about the noise - I bought in Dun Si and have been here a year now. First thing is first, you can’t ignore the planes. If you are in the garden and one comes overhead (arriving to Ireland) there’s probably a couple of seconds where you are drowned out. Pre covid, you were getting a plane every few minutes - depending on what way the wind is blowing. If planes are taking off over Portmarnock, it’s arguably not as bad or loud as when they are coming in. When you are in the house and the doors and windows are closed, you don’t even notice it. At 11pm on a Sunday night (which was in my opinion the worst time) then you do notice it. But you get used to it.

In summer when the windows are open, it is obviously much louder. I still sleep with the windows open and don’t notice so much, but this is covid time. Full capacity flights might be different.

All in all, we spent a long time considering whether it was worth buying, considering the obvious issue. We are happy with our choice. The area is nice, the people are nice and there’s so much on the doorstep. Believe it or not, it is very peaceful. Living in the middle of donnybrook or Dundrum is 100 times louder, in the middle of the day at least.

We also had to weigh up buying in an area we wanted versus fixer uppers somewhere else or continuing to rent. It worked for us. We also have access to the Dart, which is obviously a huge player in terms of the value of the homes. But everyone’s circumstances are different. I think if you have doubts, don’t buy. It’ll only eat you up wondering if you made the right choice.

I’m happy though, and wish everyone the best of luck!

• Advertisement

YGG wrote: »

Viewings haven't started - it's only launching this Wednesday with the first viewings of the show house available on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Alicano wrote: »
    Incorrect. The new runway is parallel to current main runway 10/28. So no change in direction other than being slightly more northerly. In the perfect world it will actually allow for more aircraft using dual runways. One for departures and other for arrivals.
    New regs regarding noise were introduced after the original Kilns development were built.

New airport regulations were highly contentious and were fought for years by the residents of north county dublin with Portmarnock having a lengthy and particuoarly strong protest group comprising thousands. The ‘new’ regulations and highly controversial and most hated new ‘regulatory authority’ are the WEAKEST in Europe, and offer the WORST regulatory environment for residents.

The new runway hs not
    opened yet. Airport is
    operating in different runways and flightpaths. The capacity and size of the olnea the new runway has been built to facilitate have not yet been HEARD yet as the ild
    runway couod not facilitate them. The new runway and new regulations for airport noise will allow for 24/7’flights.

The flightpath and airpllane noise over Portmarnock is going to get a LOT worse - horrifically so.

And residents have been complaining about it as it was, for decades.

Families in St Margarets, whole
    roads, have been CPO’d because of the new noise - other houses out there literally shake with the might of the new planes and many have been selected for triple glazing and roof insulation because of the danger to health of the projected noise. While streets are being CPO’d etc etc etc

Portmarnock is going to be badly hit.
    Try standing in the beach at the Lidl end on the current incoming lNding flightpath as a plane flys overhead and now imagine that 24/7 only with planes double the capacity as you try to sleep
    or settle a child to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Yellow_Blue

This airport thing is very frustrating...
    Anyone who gave up on this estate found better option elsewhere?
    We are completely lost on, where to buy at the moment. Very poor selection... Even 600k options are far from dream home.

This development ticked so many boxes but noise is definitely a no-go

• Registered Users Posts: 46 merikahan

Anyone who gave up on this estate found better option elsewhere?

Did you try bay-view.ie next to Clongriffin dart station

How bad can the noise really be? In a new house with double glazing...id guess the noise outside is a trade off with the nice location, close to dart, beach etc

How bad can the noise really be? In a new house with double glazing...id guess the noise outside is a trade off with the nice location, close to dart, beach etc

Inside is probably ok, but in the garden.. after paying 600k ....

I guess so, I think like most things it would be a case of getting used to it.. that or settle for a development that doesn’t tick as many of our boxes - neither ideal options really
    Inside is probably ok, but in the garden.. after paying 600k ....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 cunnerz21

I've lived across the road in the apartments for the last 4 years and hoping to buy in skylark. Planes not an issue for me, got used to them very quickly after moving to the area! Quite like sitting down watching them come in actually! It won't disturb you when your inside or trying to sleep. Pretty sure there was a stipulation in the planning that the noise inside had to be under 35 dicibels.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jalikhata

merikahan wrote: »
    Did you try bay-view.ie next to Clongriffin dart station

I also dropped my plan here due to airflight noise which is going to be more in future. Bay view sounds to be a good option.

jalikhata wrote: »
    I also dropped my plan here due to airflight noise which is going to be more in future. Bay view sounds to be a good option.

Will the plane noise only be marginally better here, it's still pretty close to the flight path no?

• Advertisement

Check out the neighbours in bay view
    The mobile kind of neighbours

brisan wrote: »
    Check out the neighbours in bay view
    The mobile kind of neighbours

What do you mean by mobile kind of neighbours? Is it bad neighbourhood there?

cunnerz21 wrote: »
    Will the plane noise only be marginally better here, it's still pretty close to the flight path no?

You mean bay view?

What do you mean by mobile kind of neighbours? Is it bad neighbourhood there?

The ones on horses? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Wife and I bought in Dun Si, still waiting on keys. From inside there's no noise, absolutely none. Doors and Windows open returns some noise but nothing at a worrying level. Being in the garden would have more, again nothing that bothers us. Very hard to get a perfect house that meets the budget, location, and facilities. We'll have the noise for the location and we're happy.

Tazium wrote: »
    Wife and I bought in Dun Si, still waiting on keys. From inside there's no noise, absolutely none. Doors and Windows open returns some noise but nothing at a worrying level. Being in the garden would have more, again nothing that bothers us. Very hard to get a perfect house that meets the budget, location, and facilities. We'll have the noise for the location and we're happy.

Dublin airport is running at about 10% of last years traffic
    If you are happy with noise that's grand ,many are not

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

That's also fair. Buyer's decision and all that. There will always be need for compromise.

We are very close of making final decision to move to one of the Nordic capitals even with one job less we'll be better off in terms of housing and quality of life...Similar houses close to airport costs 350k , the difference pretty much equals few years of housewifing while learning language. And there are no mobile families in some countries ( except Sweden)

Or may be Cork :)

You mean bay view?

Yeah in Bayview. That's near Clongriffin station right?

• Advertisement

The ones on horses? :)

M really sorry, but still i didn’t get you

Advertisement