Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shotgun 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Nice bit of speed work going on there Mike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Thursday 14 February - Happy Valentines Day :)
    Plan: 7m MP Tempo
    Actual: 11.22 miles w/7m @6:46 avg,

Thursday Tempo time again. The weeks are flying by. It feels like spring out there but headwind and long drags made the first 3 miles a feel like more than PMP at times. A good bit more on top of the hill. Nice out and back country road route. This was the best tempo yet. It was work, don't get me wrong but good steady and even comfortable at times. 10 minutes less in Z4 than last week is a good sign of progress.

It absolutely does not feel like I can hold it for 26.2 miles but 7 miles within the heart rate range is progress. That's the average range, there were few matches burned in there that would bit e me in the 2nd half of a marathon. 10x more of these tempos and hopefully the effort will become more comfortable Z3 type effort. PMP is still a WIP but I'll keep going as I am for now...

In other news the Nike Zoom Pegasus 35 arrived. Wow they feel much different to the New Balance and softer too. I'll break them in on some easy runs before I try them on an interval session.

Mile Splits (HR)
    6:47 (159)
    6:48 (161)
    6:47 (161)
    6:41 (163)
    6:46 (159)
    6:39 (161)
    6:49 (160)

Friday 15 February
    Plan: Easy 7 miles
    Actual: Easy 7.96 miles @8:01, HR 140, Time 1:03:50

Mild, dry and a fresh southwesterly made it nice conditions for a run. Boosted by the first smell of cut grass this spring. Through town and out the Condell road and back through some older bits of town. Pleasant enough run with thoughts, keeping a lid on the effort and letting each mile play itself out. The legs feel good considering the 2 sessions in the last 3 days so recovery is certainly improving. Good too as I've brought the LR forward from Sunday to tomorrow morning.

So all good except that I wanted to break in the Nike Zoom Pegasus 35s but they were too small. How I ordered a size UK 9 is beyond me :confused::mad: but I did. They are way too nice to hand to my teenager to mince so hoping to find a buyer.

Saturday 16 February
    Plan: Long Run 14 miles @target 7:17 pace
    Actual: LR 14.54 miles @7:10, hr 146, time 1:44:17

The purpose of the Hanson's method LR is to simulate the feeling of fatigue of later miles in a marathon. The 2 midweek sessions were tough and I pulled this LR forward a day. Couple that with a decent pace target and it was not sizing up to be a LSR.

Unfortunately my run buddy bailed under docs orders. Hope he is back next week. I had a small breakfast. I think I'll do the LRs fuelled if I can. I also took a gel with me. Nice conditions but windy. I essentially ran the first half of the GLR route. After the usual awkward feeling first mile I found a groove. However 7:03, 7:08 and 7:04 for the next 3 miles were too quick. I put it down to having a mainly tail wind and reigned it back a little.

I felt great, fresh even, up to mile 8. There were 2 quick miles downhill and down wind but I was holding target pace uphill too. Then it started to bite on the lumpy section by the University and hit a 7:20 here. I ate the gel slowly on the hour and by the time I hit 11 miles on the riverbank the cumulative fatigue feeling was there. I was working now. By mile 12 I knew the last 2 miles uptown into the wind would be tough. I visualised passing the 20 mile mark of the marathon and though the hips and quads were heavy, they were strong too. I dug in.

The last 2 miles mainly a long drag up town were 7:05 and 7:11. It was tough but I felt good, really good. Pumped that the LR was done and the last few miles really hit the spot in terms of effort and mental preparation. Off to the park with the kids afterwards and I was a bit slow walking around but great to have the LR out of the way on a Saturday.

Sunday 17 February and weekly summary
    Plan: Easy 8 miles
    Actual: Easy 8.46 miles @8:25, hr 137, time 1:11:12

Daybreak is a nice time to run, leaving the darkness behind, the birds waking up and a few runners quietly putting in the miles. The last of the night's rain woke me up but it dried out over the next hour. Just easy miles before pancakes with the kids.

Week 7 down, 11 to go.
    Happy to get all session's completed this week. The legs definitely felt heavy at times but recovered well. Just one swim and no S&C which must change. 77.8kg on the scale so last week was not a fluke. I also had my first marathon related dream.

This week the challenge is keeping up the momentum with work travel and nights out. It's a step back week with no LR. Hanson's only do a LR every 2nd week and indeed there are just 4x left in the program!

Mileage summary: Actual (Plan)
    Week 7: 58.94 (54)
    Total program : 343.55 (304)

• Advertisement

Monday 18 February
    Plan: Easy 6 miles
    Actual: Intervals 3x 1,600m Tempo w/400m recovery (10.71 miles total)

Intervals are usually Tuesday but I have to travel early in the morning and not a chance I was doing these at 5am. Pushing forward is not an option and Tempo Thursday is the priority session IMO. Pulling back a day to Monday though definitely increases the risk of overreaching. Monday is usually a recovery run. So, I opted to do it today but drop the pace to the Hanson strength tempo. MP -10secs. It starts in 3 weeks anyway and its certainly better than binning the session.

It looked lovely and sunny through the window but a cold wind and some heavy showers didn't make it feel very sunny. Another reason for bringing the pace back was a tight right quad again. I must book in to get a rub down. A longer than usual warm up and shot into the reps. The goal pace was 6:30 and I held it no problem. A bit more effort into the wind but didn't waver. I enjoyed these reps. They stayed below AT and felt like a good sweet spot between 10k and MP. 2 more weeks of speed work on the program then it will get into more of this stuff. I'm looking forward to that and very happy to get this done today. Just the one session Thursday and the rest of the week is easy running :)

3x 1,600m Tempo w/400m recovery
    Target pace 6:30
    rep distance|rep time|avg pace
    1,600m|6:30|6:33
    1,600m|6:28|6:30
    1,600m|6:23|6:26

Monday 18 February Session 2
    Masters Swim: 2,000m, 45 miunutes

I could really do with swimming more than once a week :rolleyes: Everyone getting excited about the National Long Course Championships in 10 days. Apparently enough time (says coach) to get "just" 5 or 6 more sessions in! Sure that would double my swim volume for the year!

I found my groove in lane 3. The session looked like this
    • Warm up: Lots of backstroke and kicking - I suck at both
    • 2x200m, 2x150m, 3x100m, 4x50m
    • 8x25m sprint, 25m easy
    • Cool down "B" stroke.. anything but your main stroke - I suck at everything but my main stroke

The lane lead pace was 1:35-1:37 throughout and I found it comfortable up to the 150s, then my lack of fitness required more work. Of course the cramps appeared to cross my toes on the sprint but I managed them to finish my first Masters session including a quad cramping breaststroke cool down.

I dropped out of the longer events, 800m and 1,500m for the Gala as I'm just not fit enough, there are waiting lists of people who are and I'm not tumble turning. I'd be wasting my time giving up 1-2 seconds every single length. I volunteered to do time keeping instead so I get to absorb the event from the water and the deck which is cool. Now, so hungry...

Tuesday 19 February
    Actual: Easy 6.26 miles @8:09

Very early and very sleepy easy miles. The body and mind were unwilling. Dark to start and daylight to finish sums up the feeling in the legs too. At least its a train commute today and I can have a snooze at some point. No running tomorrow and again its needed. I forgot my watch too so 3 days without it already feels naked.

A thing about running
    Having a program/plan really helps. It can get you out the door when you don't want to. Sometimes when you look at it all, the sessions can look scary and require some psyching up to execute. Best just know whats in store for the coming week and take it a day at a time. If you mess with the plan too and don't achieve your goal you can't blame the plan. I'm messing a bit with it this week due to travel and work but trying to do so carefully to balance the same workload and recovery.

The Hanson's program is relentless. It looks so simple on paper but it keeps trucking along. The pattern is Thursday Tempo to Interval Tuesday. 6 days and you carry the fatigue along. The easy days are still an hour of running. The sessions are tough but I'm surprised thus far how the legs are bouncing back for each one. As the weeks continue to build the gap between cumulative fatigue and overreaching will shrink and it will become more challenging to run that line. I like the programme pattern. Its getting me out the door and helping to keep it between the ditches.

Thursday 21 February
    Plan: Tempo 7 miles
    Actual: Hangover survival super easy almost pukey 7 miles

Friday 22 February
    Plan: Another attempt at Tempo 7 miles
    Actual: Nothing 12 hour work day again and just not in the mood.

Also ate out, drank beer and slept little the last 3 nights. Tomorrow morning time to redeem the discipline and do this bloody tempo. Has to be done pre daybreak which serves me right. I have a similar work week next week and will do better

Sunday 24 February and weekly summary
    Plan: Easy 10 miles
    Actual: Steady 11.28 miles @7:36, hr 150, time 1:25:38

Lovely morning run along the busy Shannon riverbank. An hour of it beside the serene waters. How I haven't run the length of the Corbally side by now I don't know but took me all the way to the Mill Road and evoked some childhood memories of skimming stones across the water with a late mate of mine, RIP IJ, I miss you pal.

Overall a poor week. Missed 2 runs including the 7m tempo, a key session. I just didn't chase it once the window passed. Also , the diet was rubbish and I did no S&C, again. Just 1 swim too. I should have been swimming 3-4 times a week over the last 2 month not 3 or 4 times total :rolleyes:

This week presents a bigger challenge. Highest mileage ever, 3 sessions, 3 days work travel, a party and the National Masters Gala event over 2 days. Life is busy without all those things, Kids rugby, swimming, gymnastics, Caz bootcamp and my car is still in the garage. Given my failure to hold it all together last week, I just need to take this week a day at a time. Bank the sessions on Monday and Wednesday if possible as Thurs-Sat are probably out for any kind of intensity. With just 4 LRs left on the plan (I don't feel like I have started them yet!), The LR at the weekend is priority 1.

I wouldn't say the program is derailed after 2 missed runs but if I don't complete this week, there will be zero room for catch up in the second half of the plan.

Week 8: 35.25 (49)
    Total program : 378.8 (353)

• Advertisement

Monday 25 February
    Swim 1,900m with Tri Group

300m warming up with drills, than main set of 2x 400m/4x100m
    1) 6:48, 1:36, 1:36, 1:39, 1:36
    2) 6:46, 1:42, 1:43, 1:41, 1:42

I followed our lane lead for set 1 and found it comfortable. Then took over the lead for set 2 and my lack of fitness told. I maintained the 400m pace but the effort to do so wrecked me. I just about kept that pace for the 100m reps. The group were happy but I didn't have the fitness to push those on. No surprise there.

Session 2
    Plan: Intervals 6x800m
    Actual: Intervals 6x800m (9.94 miles total in 1:12:52 max hr 180)

I ran into town to meet a mate for these. Great to have company for a session. The first 3 were solid then rep 4 back into a wind was tough. I flagged in the middle and hung on to him, then he flagged at the end and hung onto me. Overall tough but very solid work. Max heart rate of 180 is well into the red zone. I found a long hill on the run back up to work a real slog but I was hungry and tired. Comparing this session to the same thing 4 weeks ago and what stands out is better control. All 6 reps were on target where I missed the target for 4/6 last time.

Just 1 more speed session left in the plan. The weeks are flying by...

6x800m w/400m recovery and better pace control
    Target pace 5:52-6:00
    rep#|rep time (pace)|4 weeks ago (pace)
    1|2:57 (5:57)|2:54 (5:50)
    2|2:56 (5:55)|2:55 (5:53)
    3|2:56 (5:56)|2:57 (5:57)
    4|2:58 (5:59)|2:53 (5:49)
    5|2:57 (5:58)|2:54 (5:51)
    6|2:56 (5:55)|3:01 (6:03)

Tuesday 26 February
    Plan: Easy A (Steady) 6 miles
    Actual: Easy 7.64 miles @7:46, hr 142, time 59:18

I had a small window after 0430 start, 30 min walk to first train up to the big smoke, taxi to office and superman telephone box change before a long boardroom day. Easy lowlight of the day was the woman who boarded reeking of cigarettes, scowled at me and the 2 lads working beside me and then proceeded to noisily apply her makeup.

I had an hour window after arriving early and got the most I could out of it. 7 glorious chilly Dublin sunshine miles through Memorial Park, a few miles in Phoenix Park and back again. The quads were a bit heavy, escpecially on the hill back up through Memorial Park, and stiff from the intervals yesterday but stoked to get this lovely run in the Open Park in the sunshine before the day took the window away...

Day 2 of this challenging week and on track so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Easy lowlight of the day was the woman who boarded reeking of cigarettes, scowled at me and the 2 lads working beside me and then proceeded to noisily apply her makeup.

Nah, still can't figure that out, I've a lot to learn. ;)

Wednesday 27 February
    Plan: 8 miles MP Tempo
    Actual: 8 miles @6:46, 12.03 miles total, time 1:25:26

Out the door after work to run out of town and out of daylight along the seafront to Sutton. It had been a long day and I was thinking about pushing the marathon tempo to Thursday. Once I hit the cold air and saw the fog descending over the sea to mix the sky and water into the same colour, I was distracted enough to just get on with it. Happily the path kept going and I got the first 4 miles tempo out into a slight breeze. It was work but I held a steady pace. By the time I turned back it was dark and I had the slight breeze behind me. I focused on the cadence and kept the effort steady. I was happy to see the city lights again knowing I had the session in the bag. Overall very happy to get the session done and the week remains on track. The pace splits were good and steady, the heart rate was bang on marathon effort but it still felt tougher than marathon effort. I could probably grind out a couple of more miles at that pace but not 18 more!

Mile Splits (HR) - best MP tempo session thus far
    6:52 (152)
    6:47 (161)
    6:47 (158)
    6:47 (158)
    6:45 (159)
    6:44 (159)
    6:44 (162)

6:42 (161)

Thursday 28 February
    Actual: Easy 7.49 miles @8:17, hr 133, time 1:02:07

Through the work and travel bit but back to the family and the Limerick Masters Gala over the next 2 days. Banked some easy breezy miles out the Clontarf seafront, watching a red cargo ship pull slowly into the docks on a coming tide. I paused for a few moments at the strand opposite Bull Wall for some mindfulness and to stretch tight calves. A couple were trying to encourage a beautiful pale labrador sporting a pink bandana, named Suzie, into the choppy water. She was having none of it. I simply smiled at them and said clever girl Suzie and she took a liking to me keeping me company back to the 40ft before headbutting my leg and bounding happily back to the couple. Ran back into a fresh wind to bag a nice run before the busy chatter of the train home.

Friday 1 March
    Actual: Easy 6.07 miles @7:59

I dropped out of Session 1, the 1500m, in the Masters Gala so went for a short easy run in the pouring rain instead. Running is the priority. The paths were streaming and stepping off curbs into pools meant squelchy shoes too. It was commuter hour so noisy and added dirty splashes from impatient motorists. I usually embrace such conditions but this was not enjoyable. Right quad needs rolling.

Saturday 2 March
    Plan: Steady 8 miles
    Actual: Steady 8.77 miles @7:45, hr 141, time 1:07:56

First up, one for the bucket list. I swam a race in my very first Gala Today and the National Long Course Masters Championships no less. I just did the 200m free as I've been away with work all week and my little fella is not well. I learned plenty anyway and it was great to shoot the breeze with Kurt Gödel about swimming. My goggles came off on the dive and I swam the race with them around my neck. I lost time stopping at the turns and died on the second 100. Overall 6th in my AG but zero expectation and happy to complete a race.

The run was much later once the kids were tucked away in bed. Dry and cold with a fresh breeze making it feel colder. The purpose of the run is to toast the legs slightly for cumulative fatigue ahead of the long run tomorrow. The quads particularly were heavy and calves tight so the fatigue is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Kurt.Godel

Delighted to catch up with you again today MCOS. Shame about the goggles- happens quite often when people aren't used to block starts. Fair play to you for keeping going.

There's nothing quite like the experience of stepping onto the blocks and hearing "take your marks" for time to stop dead and your HR audible. An adrenaline junkie like yourself will no doubt be back for more, once the running goals are hit. Your 50m splits of 37, 44, 49, 50 tell their own story! Next year sub 2:45 no problem... for today though, 3mins for 200free is a very good time, a yardstick for Masters swimmers.

Sunday 3 March
    Plan: Long Run 15 miles (target pace 7:17)
    Actual: Long Run 15.84 miles @7:10, hr 155, time 1:53:36

Longest run of the program thus far. It was almost the 16 miles max the program goes to and I'd still be shy of 2hrs when I do the 16. There are just 3 LRs of 16m each left over the next 8 weeks. Seems so little but the LR tonight was closer to what marathon effort feels like than a 20m easy fresh run. I was not looking forward to it watching the pouring rain out the window all day. Just like the kids, I had cabin fever and eventually layered up and got on with it.

The first 5 miles were about getting warm and I had to reign the pace back constantly. I settled at 7:15ish and felt good. I took in the first 13 miles of the GLR route. By the time I hit UL and about 7 miles in the effort went up as the already tired legs started to feel it. By mile 11 I was back onto the river bank headed for town and working. The rain had stopped but it was still cold. I focused on keeping the cadence up and just keep plugging away. I had to stop a few times, to remove a tiny stone form my shoe, to pick up the ipod that dropped and mainly crossing roads. It interrupted the rhythm and it took me a minute to find the pace again each time. I had to mentally prepare for the last 2 miles up through town. By mile 13 I felt like I was pushing into the last 10k of a marathon. The legs were reluctant and it was more about the mind and heart not giving in.

I was wrecked afterwards. Aerobically I felt fine. Just hungry and both my back and legs ached. No surprise really. I've run the last 7 days, the run was too quick and this has been by biggest mileage week ever!

Week 9: 67.78 (57) - my biggest mileage week EVER
    Total program : 446.58 (410)

A thing about running
    Right, half way through the Hanson's program. How am I doing? I missed just 1 session but am hitting the mileage. The fatigue is definitely present this last week but each day the legs bounce back for more. I feel the line to over reaching is just in front of me so I need to listen to the body. After 2 weeks of work travel and moving sessions about, I am happy to be home based this week and get back to a routine. Routine is the best work to describe the program. Its simple but keeps coming. It pretty balanced and you feel alterations. It has flown too. Its hard to believe that in in 7 weeks and after just 3 long runs, I'll be tapering for the first marathon I've done in years! In terms of training paces, I am using sub3 paces. I'm completing the sessions and hitting the goal paces but its challenging (its supposed to be right?. Am I confident that I can attempt a sub 3? In a word, No! There is plenty more work to do and a taper will help but the marathon target is a WIP. I'll keep plugging away and make a decision closer to the day.

I do feel that if I don't start S&C immediately it will undermine my chances, so it starts this week. I'm looking forward to not running on Wednesday, not that I'm not loving running, the legs need a break.

Monday 4 March
    Actual: Easy 6 miles @8:28, hr 129, time 53:00

The sky is black and the rain/hail is belting off the windows. I missed this one, the shower that is. Its wintery out there! Very easy miles over a hilly country route. The first mile was the tail end of the previous wintery shower and a cold wind blasted my chest. Then, for the next 3 miles, calm bright sunshine! The legs still felt shot from yesterday and the last 8 days. If they feel dead tomorrow morning I'll reduce the intensity of the final interval session. By mile 5 the sky had darkened again and I duly got stung by a hail shower :(

So week 10 starts with fatigue, which is the whole point.

• Advertisement

Tuesday 5 March
    Plan: Intervals 3x 1,600m Speed
    Actual: Intervals 3x 1,600m Strength w/400m recovery (8.26 miles total)

I'm at the entrance to a dark cave that is overreaching. I geared up this morning for 6am but felt like a bear that had woken up and crawled out of that same cave. I got back into bed with the gear on and slept for an hour before the first feed of pancakes today. The usual pain cave is as dark but doesn't have the same trapdoor to overtraining and injury.

The legs did feel better but were still smarting from the Long Run Sunday and the load last week. I knew 5k (wishful) pace was off the cards. I had to listen to the body. I decided to reduce the intensity to strength pace (MP-10 secs) or PMP or even just easy of that was the right thing to do. The 2m warm up was weary. I usually like to graduate from easy to around 7 min pace so the jump to the speed work is not so big. Rep 1 (pace 6:26) was into a wind and while I felt good aerobically, the legs felt like they were running flat out through a furnace. Rep 2 (pace 6:25) was a bit more settled and confirmed that anything more would be too much risk. Rep 3 (pace 6:23) felt good but the legs were very weary and sore.

I think I got as much quality from the planned session that I could without entering the wrong cave. I feel just as wasted as if I had gone hard. It was the end of 10 days of running and the break from running tomorrow is both welcomed and needed. These reps were a little quicker than the actual strength pace starting from next week (with 6 reps) but I'm glad the speed sessions are over.

3x 1,600m Strength w/400m recovery
    Target pace 6:30
    rep distance|rep time|avg pace
    1,600m|6:24|6:26
    1,600m|6:23|6:25
    1,600m|6:21|6:23

Thursday 7 March
    Plan: MP Tempo 8 miles
    Actual: Bed, fluids and rest

Pesky kids :mad: Lovely and all as they are, they are a trip hazard for the wannabe marathon runner. A quick above/below neck check and yep, aches and pains down the body for for the last 2 days more akin to Flu than a head cold so no running. Booo

And the sun is shining, double booo!

Normal service, hopefully, to resume in a couple of days. I think I'll purchase some new running shoes in the meantime to feel better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

All not well yet?

aquinn wrote: »
    All not well yet?

Thanks for stopping by aquinn. Milford Sound etc just sounds wow and congrats again.

Flu wiped me then due to sensitive lungs from recent asthma attacks, the usual sinus infection, coughing blah blah. No exercise in 10 days and I still dropped 3kg

Health improving. Slept 9hrs straight each of the last 2 nights. Normal for some, not for me. One more and maybe a run tomorrow. Maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Thanks for stopping by aquinn. Milford Sound etc just sounds wow and congrats again.

Flu wiped me then due to sensitive lungs from recent asthma attacks, the usual sinus infection, coughing blah blah. No exercise in 10 days and I still dropped 3kg

Health improving. Slept 9hrs straight each of the last 2 nights. Normal for some, not for me. One more and maybe a run tomorrow. Maybe..

One thing i’ll say, don’t come back till you’re fully 100%, I rolled a cold into bronchitis by rushing back and have lost 21 days of running since February 1st.

OOnegative wrote: »
    One thing i’ll say, don’t come back till you’re fully 100%, I rolled a cold into bronchitis by rushing back and have lost 21 days of running since February 1st.
    I hear you! Wanted badly to run today but still not good. Very frustrating but an easy reminder to myself that I spent 15hrs in hospital on new years eve after 15 nebulisers in 4 days. My lungs were shot. The flu last week was the real deal. 2nd time in 3 years so need to get the jab this year. However it opened the door to sensitive lungs and the coughing is hard to shake. I go straight on steroids and just try to keep mellow.

Sub3 at Limerick in 7 weeks is not the goal. The goal is get miles in the legs and simply run the best I can on the day. It's a dress rehearsal for Dublin which will be a straight up assault on sub3

Lá Fhéile Pádraig 2019
    Plan: No plan, just run easy
    Actual: Easy 6.23 miles @8:10

A run, yay! Simple out and back through town early while the barriers were put in preparation for the parade. The legs felt fine and though the lungs tightened a little into 2 miles of a cold wind, the return with the wind behind me was calm. The knees gave out afterwards but just due to lack of movement lately. Not 100% but I know my body and health by now and it's out of my chest. Just keep it easy for a few days.

Now, the plan. Without going back into that big debate about changing plans, this is the very scenario that was debated. The bones of 2 weeks missed. In reality 10 runs, 5 sessions, about 90 miles of which approx 20 would have been at MP. It's a progressive plan so hopping back on is not an option. Neither is starting where I let off 2 weeks ago. Realistically I need at least a week to get to that point so that means I'm 3 weeks behind the original plan. The goal for the next week is to get to the start of 2 weeks ago and go with the original plan from there.

A sub3 attempt was a long shot for Limerick but now it's off the cards. My second fastest marathon is a demoralising 3:19 from Berlin in 2011. I had a DNF at Limerick that year. My Limerick goal is to beat that. Maybe aim for 3:15. That would do nicely for motivation for Dublin. After this sync up week, I'll have 5 weeks of work then taper. The 3x16m LRs fall between week 10-15 of the original plan so I should get 2x done at least.

Monday 18 March T-7 weeks to GLR
    Plan: Steady 7m
    Actual; Steady 8.57m @7:43, hr 147

The rain finally stopped today. After a day of visitors, food and coffees I felt a bit stodgy getting out. Just focused on cadence and rhythm. OK run, just miles. The hills were a little less easy than a couple of weeks ago. The body definitely needs a few sessions to get back into it. The 880v7s felt a little clunky compared to the Nike Pegasus 35 yesterday, but then the Nike are brand new too.

Tuesday 19 March
    Plan: Strength Intervals 4x 1mile @6:40 w/400m recovery
    Actual: Strength Intervals 4x 1mile @6:35 avg (9.77 miles total)

A few things the body woke up to.
    6am - yep, back to early runs. The body was reluctant. I was reluctant
    76.6kg :eek: My appetite has been back a few days but this is only 2kg off when I was 21, going for U23 Irish Rowing trials. Probably the lightest and fittest I was in my 20s. Its 1kg off my first Ironman weight in 2011 the fittest I was in my 30s. Its a full 10kg lighter than I was at Christmas!
    Work - A session of sorts this morning, lungs and legs were like, wtf?

Before I became ill the upcoming SOS was 6x1mile strength at 6:30. This morning I aimed for 4x1mile with target pace reduced to 6:40. I was ready to back off too if the body wasn't ready for the effort. After a sleepy warm up I kicked on. It took a few minutes to find the rhythm but I did and made it through 4 reps before the right hamstring started to tighten and the body raised a white flag. I could have completed 6 but at a cost. I'll leave that for next week. The cool down couple of miles were labored. I inhaled porridge and a recovery shake at home. Overall happy to get through this and to get it done before the day set in.

4 x 1 mile Strength w/400m recovery
    Target pace 6:40
    rep distance|rep time|Avg HR
    1 mile|6:34|150
    1 mile|6:36|160
    1 mile|6:30|159
    1 mile|6:37|160

• Advertisement

Wednesday 20 March
    Plan: Rest
    Actual: Easy 6.12m @8:28, hr 132

The plan has Wednesdays as a rest day, usually after 6 days with 2-3 SOS (sessions of substance) and cumulative fatigue. Since I don't have the cumulative fatigue anymore, just recovery fatigue, and it was a nice day, I caught a 60min window to get a few easy miles done. The hammers felt tight to begin with but looser at the end. The "nice" day actually was a heavy shower for the first mile and a half but dried out afterwards.

Just easy miles but the purpose was to slowly build up that fatigue again to make the long run next feel realistic. I just have 2 of them before the marathon so I want to load them up for the best rehearsals. Literally have no idea what I will run on the day so not sure what pace to train at now. The tempo run tomorrow is supposed to be MP. I'll run it at MP effort using heart rate 150-160 range and see what that gives back.

30 mins Yoga with Adrienne afterwards

Advertisement