Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leader Of The (Mid) Pack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

kin9pin wrote: »
    Well done J, great report. Not too far off your PB so a good result considering the congestion.
    I need to do my report later, but I had pretty much the same experience as you, including mysteriously passing people twice in the park!

Seems to be fairly common unfortunately.

Maybe PB hunting (soft as my current one is) was optimistic given the lack of training lately. Talking to a lad from work afterwards, he's going to train hard for the BHAA K-Club 10k in April. That will be my last race before I take a break for exams. I ran it four years ago, and loved it, although for various reasons I haven't been back since. I'd love to say I could follow one of the 10k training plans closely, but college lectures and actually studying for exams hinder things considerably in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hard luck J, I know as well as anyone how a slightly below par performance feels - you're right, the congestion was a factor today for sure, although in many ways your race was very similar to mine.

Thanks for the vote of confidence btw. :p. Sorry to miss you for the cuppa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Nice meeting you again today. Sorry it didn't go to plan . I didn't pass any on twice to the best of my knowledge but why anyone would do that is beyond me . Who are they fooling only thems elves.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hard luck J, I know as well as anyone how a slightly below par performance feels - you're right, the congestion was a factor today for sure, although in many ways your race was very similar to mine.

Thanks for the vote of confidence btw. :p. Sorry to miss you for the cuppa.

Congrats on the PB! Great to have that in the bag, with the real goal race just two weeks away. I'll have to take a leaf out of your book re: positioning for the next big race. Interestingly enough, your clubmate who we ran the HM with finished just behind me. Sorry I missed you afterwards, I could see you when I was in the queue, but by the time I got my coffee you had moved away, and I was gone myself soon afterwards.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Nice meeting you again today. Sorry it didn't go to plan . I didn't pass any on twice to the best of my knowledge but why anyone would do that is beyond me . Who are they fooling only thems elves.

Likewise T. No worries, some days good, some days not so :rolleyes:
    5 miles seems to be a hard distance for me to get the hang of, but I'll keep trying!

Quick wrap up before January turns to February....

Mon 30/1 & Tue 31/1 - Rest

Nearest I got to running or anything related was reading up on the reports from Sunday. So many fine performances on the road and on line, well done all!

What it brought home to me was just how poorly I really did at the weekend. I don't feel like I raced at all; not a hint of DOMS today or yesterday. It's been tricky enough not having a real goal race the last while; and even if I did, I'm not sure I could give it the time it deserved at the moment. Good job we don't have more disposable income, or I could have been headed for a Mediterranean disaster in Barcelona :rolleyes:

Overall for January, on the positive side I really enjoyed the Masters XC races, the Leinster Masters in Dunboyne in particular. Testing myself in much higher standard fields (overall) than I'm used to should bring me on in other races eventually. Unfortunately I can't travel to Waterford for the Nats.

On the road, it wasn't so good. I went from blowing my lights in the first kilometre of the Tom Brennan, to minding myself to ridiculous levels in the Raheny 5. I finished ahead of MisterDrak and adrian522 in both Masters races, yet I was 2-3 minutes behind them on the road on Sunday. What does that tell you? I really need to learn how to start getting the best out of myself. Maybe a return to XC, in tough underfoot conditions, will be a step in the right direction.

Go dtí an chéad uair eile....Until the next time....

• Advertisement

Wed 1/2 - 5 miles @8:35 p/m

Back to an old loop I haven't run for a while. From the house around past the Carpenterstown shops up past Coolmine station, right down to Roselawn SC and headed for the top end of Blanchardstown village, before swinging left up the long drag towards Clonsilla, and then left again over the new bridge towards Porterstown. From the crossroads I've about a kilometre to go to the house. Comfortable enough throughout.

Thu 2/2 - Though Your Dreams Be Tossed And Blown

"They say we're young and we don't know,
    We won't find out until we grow"

Today's brutal weather conditions offered me an ideal opportunity to try and get some moral fibre together, with Saturday's XC in mind. The plan was for eight laps of Tír na nÓg, where the triangular outer path is roughly half a mile long. The longest side was into the wind and rain, and about 350m in length; I did this at the start of each lap. First few were tough, but I was gradually getting more comfortable, as the times will show. I hadn't intended this as a progression run, but that's how it (sort of) turned out, picking it up big time for the last circuit. Feeling great at the end of this!

Lap 1 - 4:28
    Lap 2 - 4:21
    Lap 3 - 4:09
    Lap 4 - 4:07
    Lap 5 - 4:07
    Lap 6 - 4:06
    Lap 7 - 3:59
    Lap 8 - 3:25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The plan was for eight laps of Tír na nÓg, where the triangular outer path is roughly half a mile long. The longest side was into the wind and rain, and about 350m in length; I did this at the start of each lap. First few were tough, but I was gradually getting more comfortable, as the times will show. I hadn't intended this as a progression run, but that's how it (sort of) turned out, picking it up big time for the last circuit. Feeling great at the end of this!

That park is about 10meters from my house :)

I once done a 3x2.5m marathon session in that park.
    21 laps including WU/CD.
    I hate running there now :) - although its ok for strides!!

That park is about 10meters from my house :)

I once done a 3x2.5m marathon session in that park.
    21 laps including WU/CD.
    I hate running there now :) - although its ok for strides!!

I wouldn't do anything like that many laps there, marathon training or not! I did have the park almost to myself for the half hour+ that I was there, which wouldn't have been the case had I stayed on the main road, around past the shops and through Riverwood etc. If I can keep my head in the game tomorrow, I reckon I'll get a much better finishing position than in last year's race (114/246).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck tomorrow J.....might spot you up there club session at 1000.....could be mucky for it!

I wouldn't do anything like that many laps there, marathon training or not! I did have the park almost to myself for the half hour+ that I was there, which wouldn't have been the case had I stayed on the main road, around past the shops and through Riverwood etc. If I can keep my head in the game tomorrow, I reckon I'll get a much better finishing position than in last year's race (114/246).

Good luck tomorrow J.....might spot you up there club session at 1000.....will be mucky for it!

FYP ;)

I'll probably be there from about 10:30....plan is to get a warmup lap done before the ladies race, which starts at 11, followed by my own at 11:30. Going up that hill three times will be tough, but if it goes well I'll feel like I really earned the post race treats!

https://bhaa.ie/events/garda-cc-2017/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Good luck J! You'll be up to your armpits in muck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

+1, enjoy the mud-larkking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Best of luck! Finally some decent muck and I'm missing it :rolleyes:. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Don't muck it up!

Thanks AM, it won't be a day for the show ponies I'm afraid....
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Best of luck! Finally some decent muck and I'm missing it :rolleyes:. Enjoy!

Thanks G, best to keep the main thing the main thing though? Sure you might have something similar for the Nats :)
    tang1 wrote: »
    +1, enjoy the mud-larkking!!!

Thanks B. 4 miles in these conditions may feel like 10 on the road, but I'm feeling ready! Best of luck in Trim, in case I forget!
    Singer wrote: »
    Don't muck it up!

Ba-dum tish!!!

Thanks B. :D

Sure I'll do my best :cool:

Good to finally chat to you properly this morning J I hope the race went well!

Fri 3/2 - Rest

Sat 4/2 - BHAA Garda XC, Phoenix Park

Pre Race

After last week's non effort, I couldn't use the six day turnaround as an excuse today. Besides, a return to XC in sticky conditions might bring the love back?

I got down to the Garda Boat Club about 10, only to find that all the parking in the grounds was gone. My bad. Plan B involved a scoot up the old N4 and into the park at Chapelizod Gate, where I promptly got stuck behind a gang of cyclists who were leisurely meandering their way around the S-bends :rolleyes:

Eventually, I got the car parked at the bottom of the Khyber. Trouble was, as this was my first BHAA race of 2017, I hadn't even registered, let alone got a number. So the first part of my warmup involved a jog back to the clubhouse, for what was mercifully a fairly quick registration process. Straight away back to the car, and up the hill to get ready for a warmup lap.

As I'm passing the Magazine Fort, wondering whether my warmup was too slow or whether two girls about 50 yards ahead were going too fast, I hear a shout from somewhere off to the right, and lo and behold it's scotindublin. Nice to chat to you C, hope this lives up to expectations :)

Having completed the warmup lap and watched some of the ladies race, I headed off to the start. I was so "in the zone" that I only realised when I got there that I hadn't taken off the base layer. Oh well, we'll struggle on! Got to chat to all the work gang who were running, and a good few others, before we set off.

Lap 1

This was the shorter lap of about a mile of the total race distance of 4 miles. I decided I'd go out hard and see how long I could hang on. I could see a couple of designated targets up ahead as we approached the gully into the bottom of the hill; one a work colleague, the other a lad from Porterstown parkrun, who I ran with for about 10 miles in DCM. Even though I nearly went on my @r$3 as we approached the bottom, I was still able to catch and pass both of them as we climbed the hill for the first time. This was soon followed by a steep and slippy downhill crossed by tree roots, but I managed to keep it together fairly well as we came up the short sharp climb back onto the start/finish straight.

Lap 2

This wasn't as successful unfortunately. I was starting to feel the effects of my pacy opening salvo, and a good few lads caught and passed me before we'd even reached the bottom of the hill again. I was trying to hang on to people as best I could, but it was by and large proving futile, apart from one fella I had a good battle with at this stage. I was stronger on the hills, yet he'd come back again on the flat sections. At the top of the course near the Papal Cross, we turned into the wind back down the start/finish straight, and I was conscious of the fact that this could be either where I really make progress or where it all falls apart. Another target came past (a guy with whom I've had a few good XC battles) and gave me a shout "Stick with me". Try as I might, I couldn't. The force was with him for sure; from looking at the photos, I reckon he made up at least another 10 places by the end.

Lap 3

I was really hurting now with another 1.5 miles to go, and more pursuers smelling blood. I couldn't get back to anyone, was on my own for long sections, and nearly down to walking pace struggling up the hill for the third time. Even the shorter hill up to the side of the Khyber Road was tough going. But I knew that the end was close and I had to dig in. The section up to the Acres Road gave a bit of respite, before we started to turn towards home. There was a convoy of about 7 or 8 runners in the distance, but I'd set my sights on a Rathfarnham runner who seemed to be struggling. As we passed the men's start line, I went further up the gears as best I could. But then yer man starts picking it up again with the finish in sight. Not fair! And then I hear a fella behind me getting shouts from supporters "GET HIM MIKEY!! COME ON MIKEY, GET HIM!!" Well, I'd been passed by enough people, shall we say, in the last 3 miles. I wasn't going to be caught by another in the last 50 yards!!! One last push all the way to the end, and I was in.

68th place in a time of 28:2x (I think); either way it's a course PB for me. I normally don't pay too much heed to times in XC, but this was noteworthy IMO, as while the underfoot conditions were very favourable the previous two years, today there were a number of sticky and slippy spots to work through. Also, by far my best finishing position in this race, a massive improvement on previous attempts; while I was also our third scorer.

By the way....some of you may have seen the photos on flickr, and noticed that I'm not wearing a bib, although I am wearing our shiny new white singlet :eek: Remember I mentioned being "in the zone" earlier? Only when I got to the finish and was quizzed about the bib's absence by the stewards, did I realise it wasn't on me. I reckoned it must have blown away or I knocked it off. Subsequently, I discovered that it was still in my jacket where I'd put it on registering; a sheepish handover at the results table ensued :o

It seems from the photos (haven't seen official results as I type) that we won a team prize, and our second scorer won his age category :) Congrats to KielyUnusual from around these parts on the race win. I reckon I was fully deserving of the coffee, cake and biscuits I worked through afterwards, while chatting to quite a few (including Marthastew) before I headed home. Quite a satisfactory day's work all round :D

Next

BHAA North County Farmers XC out in ALSAA on the 18th, followed by an attempt at a sub 6 mile at the same venue the following Wednesday.

Sun 5/2 - 5 miles @7:45-8:00 p/m (approx.)

Up with the larks in sub-zero temperatures to thaw out the car, before heading to Castleknock Gate to meet the club's early risers for an 8 AM start.

A group of about 12 (including AMK) set off along the same loop that we ran two weeks ago. The difference this time was, I was able to stay with the pace fairly comfortably, in spite of yesterday's exertions. Quick hellos to the 8:45 arrivals, before I left them to the trails and organised a lift to Rás na hÉireann headed home. Feeling very tired afterwards, but happy with a solid four days' work this week. Overall, things are on the up, considering I've had five races in the first six weekends of the year (along with two easy pace parkruns). Elsewhere today, lots of great Boardsie performances in the Trim 10 mile. I'll have to keep that one in mind for next year! Thanks for reading!
    J.

Great week J; back in the wagon again.

Great week J; back in the wagon again.

Thanks C. Yes, nice to feel like I'm making progress. I won't even get to a parkrun this weekend, let alone a race. That might not be such a bad thing however, after all the recent activity.

I suppose I needed a KUTH. Somebody on another thread some time ago (Krusty IIRC) said, regarding PBs, that you have to fight for them. In Raheny, I didn't, and got what I deserved.

I need to find that sense of desperation that some others here seem to be very good at..."I have to catch the runner in front!" whereas too often with me, it's closer to "Sure grand if I catch him (or her), if not never mind" :rolleyes:

Onwards to the next challenge so :)

• Advertisement

Mon 6/2 - Rest

I had a day off work, and toyed with the idea of going for a run to try and undo some of the damage from a calorific Super Bowl Sunday. In the end I didn't bother; a much healthier dinner followed in the afternoon, then college in the evening.

Tue 7/2 - Rest

Work, college, dinner etc. Sorry I just can't bring myself to do lunchtime runs in town at the moment. If/when I have a plan for a specific race (e.g. DCM 2017?) I might get involved in that again.

Wed 8/2 - Club track session, Santry - What Goes Around Just Comes Around

An ongoing weakness in what I'm currently doing is the lack of speed work. Finally, I went a small way towards rectifying that problem on a chilly night in D9. One downside of being the most active athlete in the club so far this year has been that actual training has suffered. I think one other lad has raced four times in 2017, with nobody matching my five outings.

I hadn't run in Morton Stadium since 1987, when in what I think was my last race there, I ran the 110m hurdles. I remember clouting the fourth or fifth obstacle and going on my snot. It felt like ages later when I crossed the finish line, long after all the other kids.

During the war, the finish line was in the corner next to Clonliffe's clubhouse, and it was here where our group assembled. The plan was 2 x 800, 2 x 400, and 2 x 800, with 2 minute recoveries. I hadn't done anything like this since last summer in Porterstown, and never 400s.

Even so, I lined up and tried to find a consistent pace as directed by the coach. The breeze was against us as we passed the covered stand, and I found it hard to keep the pace up through here. Even so, 3:10 and 3:09 wasn't too shabby; roughly around the pace I was doing them six months ago. And so it was on to the 400s. Only one lap! Definitely more effort involved, although I remember consciously easing off towards the end of the back straight of my opening stint. This proved to be a smart move, and I was delighted with my times of 1:24 and 1:25. A slight drop in times for the 800s to finish off the night, but 3:12 and 3:13 wasn't a massive deviation, all things considered.

A few easy laps and stretches to close out what was a very enjoyable workout. Even so, I might take some advice from last night on board and leave my sub-6 attempt till March, as I need some more of this type of training before I take on that milestone.
    J.

Thu 9/2 - 5 miles @8:33 pm

Cold and windy run on one of my Castleknock/Clonsilla/Blanch loops. Legs felt a bit tired after the previous day's speed work, all the more reason to keep this one easy.

Fri 10/2 - Rest

Sat 11/2 - 4 miles @8:15 p/m

With this being a college seminar weekend, I wouldn't even get to tackle a parkrun, let alone a race. Rather than let it all go to waste completely from a running point of view, I got out around 7 AM for two laps around the loop between the estates. Freezing, but it felt nice once I got going, especially with the sun rising as I shuffled around.

Sun 12/2 - Club run, Phoenix Park - 5 miles approx.

Having gone to Croke Park after college yesterday, it took what felt like forever to get some heat back into my body on conclusion of the Dubs' comeback.

Even so, I was back for more this morning at 8, at the Castleknock Gate. There were about ten of us up for this, and I followed the lead two doing 4:33/km, down Chesterfield but into a freezing raw wind. Thankfully it stayed dry! To be honest I was struggling to hang onto this, and dropped back to the main body before we turned onto Wellington Road.

Going up the Khyber I was falling back again, but thankfully I had a new (to me) guy for company as we made our way back around to Chesterfield. After we passed the Phoenix monument, I got a second wind, I suppose knowing I didn't have long to go. I caught up to the next two before crossing OS Road, but even though I picked up the pace a bit more coming back to Castleknock Gate, I couldn't close the gap to the lead group of six. Still, I'm very happy that I managed to get out and get it done. Few stretches and greetings to the 8:45ers, before I went home and got myself ready for another day in college. Thanks for reading :)
    J.

Mon 13/2 - Thu 16/2 - Steady Diet Of Nothing

Between college, work and other real life stuff, I never really had much of a chance to get the runners on. Unless I got up and ran at stupid o'clock in the morning that is, or late at night full of food. I did neither.

Fri 17/2

Managed to beat my deadline, and celebrated by going for a short run in Porterstown Park in the afternoon. I had planned to run a third lap, but was worried that I might end up over egging it with the possibility of a race tomorrow. As well as that, I was getting annoyed with having to dodge around more and more walkers and dogs as time passed by. Happy with the effort anyway!

Out - 4:44
    Lap 1 - 7:51
    Lap 2 - 7:32
    In - 5:10

After I got home, I decided to sign up for the Race Series bundle (including DCM - Wave 1 this year!!) and also the Great Ireland Run, which will be my last race before my exams. In addition, I registered for the ARC Cancer Support Men's Mini Marathon 10k for the fifth year in a row.

Something to focus the running related part of my mind over the coming months!

We also got the Graded Meets fixtures there a while ago. I'll have to decide nearer the time if I'm ready to become what some long time posters here would call a "track fairy". Evolution, not revolution!! :D

Sat 18/2 - BHAA XC, ALSAA

Yeah I know, that's a lot of CAPS. And I don't like shouting. But that's what I signed up for this morning, hoping to build on a strong showing in the previous BHAA event.

Registration was thankfully very quick, as I drove across from D15 like a demon as I was running late. That part taken care of, I took off for a warmup lap. There were some sticky stretches, in particular the section alongside the cemetery and the bottom of the course around the old throwing circle. Still, it wasn't near as bad as last year's slopfest.

Today's event was listed as a 5 miler, with a short run around to the start of the finishing chute, and then four laps from there.

Lap 1

I deliberately kept it a bit easier on the opening lap compared to the Garda race. With a longer race and overall stickier conditions, I thought it might be a wiser strategy. However, about half way through the fourth field (the one after the cemetery) my lace came undone, and I lost a shedload of places, and a fair bit of time and momentum redoing it. Frustrating, but I started making some of the ground back ASAP. Still a fair bit away from where I thought I should have been though.

Lap 2

I'm still making up plenty of places here, without being passed back. I catch and pass my old marathon buddy about three quarters of the way through the lap. No chat though, keep pushing on. I saw a clubmate taking photos at several spots during the race, but there was no smiling or shaping for the cameras today! To be honest, I was still in a fouler after the lace malfunction. One of the Fingal lads did a nice move on me. We were both catching a Portmarnock lad coming up to a gap in the hedges. I thought I'd get ahead of both of them, but then he dived down the inside, and left me stuck behind the other fella. A Master at work! I still got both of them soon afterwards.

Lap 3

I can see a lot of lads flagging up ahead, but I'm still feeling strong, and even after having to pass lots of runners twice, I've still got the energy to catch plenty more. Roll up behind, bit of a surge to get past - far enough ahead that they lose heart - and move on. Rinse and repeat. It was interesting to note many of them veering off the shortest route and looking for better ground (to use horse racing parlance). Not for me; the shortest way is almost always the best. There's a lad in a blue top trying his damnedest to hang on to me after I pass him, but I get rid of him before we reach the start area.

Lap 4

For a while now, I've been making ground on one of the more experienced runners. Still a class act, and his young lad's not so sluggish either ;) I caught up to him along the bottom of the course. As I passed him, he was actually encouraging me; there were plenty more for me to catch, he said. He may well have been correct, were it not for the fact that seconds later, the same lace as earlier came undone for the second time!! I lost three places as a result. I caught the first lad almost straightaway, but then a young lad in a Phoenix Park Runners top (who I passed twice earlier) appeared on my shoulder and went past. Where the funk did he appear from? We were approaching the turn for home now, and although I was gaining on the other two that passed me due to lacegate, an element of doubt hit as I struggled to push through the wind. Have I got the minerals?

DON'T SETTLE! YOU'RE FASTER THAN HIM!! Approaching the crown of the bend, I picked up the pace approaching the first guy (an Eir runner IIRC) He never saw me coming, as I was gone past him and into the finishing straight before he had a chance to react.

Now there's my friend from earlier. He's getting all the plaudits on the PA, which is fair enough, and on his way back from injury too. I'm still going after him!! Just a few seconds to go to the line, and I pick it up even more and it actually feels like I'm sprinting as I take him with about 30 yards to go. Don't know where I finished as I type, but my time was 38:25-38:30, about a minute and a half quicker than last year, over what most people seemed to think was a 5.2 mile (or thereabouts) course. Nowhere near most of the lads I ran with two weeks ago, but a reasonable way to finish my XC season.

It was also the last race on the ALSAA XC course as we know it, as two of the fields are to be converted to car parks. With the RTÉ race also set to disappear from the calendar after this year's event, there are very challenging times ahead for the BHAA in relation to finding new races. As for me, I'm due to head up to Carlingford in two weeks time, for a shot at the half marathon 10k. It'll be my longest race so far this year, and to be honest, I can't really say I'll be in shape to take on any longer distances until the summer at least. Thanks for reading!
    J.

Sun 19/2 - Club long run, Phoenix Park

I knew this would be tough going, after yesterday's race which was followed by scoops last night. But I wanted it to be. It would have been too easy to just sleep late, and then shuffle around on my own whenever I felt like it.

And so I arrived just in time for the 8 o'clock group heading out. This was the same route as last week for the first 5 miles, but it was at a faster pace - sub 4:30/km. Not surprisingly, I eased to the back before we turned off Chesterfield, and then fell off the back altogether on the way up the Khyber. Even so, I finished out this part as best I could, and then a couple of minutes later I was off again with the 8:45ers.

From Castleknock Gate, we headed towards White's Gate and did a loop of the perimeter of the Ordnance Survey grounds, before continuing towards Knockmaroon Gate and an up and down section through the Furry Glen. By this time I only had intermittent visual contact with most of the rest of the group. Which was fine, as I was still pushing myself along regardless. Down the hill and then back along the trail around the back of the Cheshire Home and St Mary's Hospital, before I deviated from the group route. As the main body headed for the Magazine Fort in the far distance, I swung left up the Acres Road and back up Chesterfield Avenue to the car. All in all, roughly 12 miles for the morning I think. I was really feeling the drag along Acres/Chesterfield into the wind, and was fairly wrecked by the time I finished. However, it was worth getting up and putting in the effort. Hopefully it will stand to me in the coming weeks.
    J.

Another low mileage week in the bag....

Mon 20/2 & Tue 21/2

Work + College = No Running :rolleyes:

Wed 22/2 - Irish Runner Paced Mile, ALSAA Rest

The original plan was to have a shot at sub-6 tonight. However, as outlined previously, I listened to the Santry crew and decided to leave it till March. Looking at the videos, it seems like I made the right decision. Even had the conditions been favourable, I still feel like I'm miles off that goal.

Thu 23/2 - 4 miles @7:39 p/m

Having cleaned up a bit of mess that Doris left behind her, I finally got out for a run! The intention was to do an eight lap stint in Tír na nÓg, similar to that of three weeks ago. It was still quite windy, but this time the breeze was at my back on the longest side of the triangle. First couple of laps weren't too bad, then it started getting busy. Fourth lap a lad comes in with his two kids, a dog and a football. After my second time bobbing and weaving through that little group, I had enough, and left the park for a loop around by the Carpenterstown shops and through Riverwood.

3:54/3:46/3:47/3:54 for the Tír na nÓg laps. 12:57 to complete the loop back around to home.

Fri 24/2 - Rest

Sat 25/2 - 4.1 miles inc. Porterstown parkrun

Another very windy morning in D15. As I listened to the howling outside, I decided that even beating my current course PB (20:36) would be very optimistic. We had to abandon our attempt to put up the gazebo beforehand, as there were too many concerns about its security! Anyway, I hadn't given myself a really good push in a parkrun since last summer, so I reckoned now was the time.

Off we went, with me in sixth after the opening two corners. There was a bit of a crosswind on the start/finish straight, then you could feel it against you on turning right. Once you went through the trees into the next field - WOOOOOF!!!! In other words, any advantage I might have gained on the best downhill section of the course was gone. It really was a battle the whole way round, as even on the flat part at the bottom of the course, there was a decent crosswind. The lad a bit ahead of me is normally sub 20 or 20 and shrapnel here. Not today though. I still didn't feel in the right shape to go after him. Behind me was the leading lady, but I was more concerned about the Tullamore runner whose footsteps were getting louder as we came up the second longer drag. We ran the second lap together, with me leading out and him using his experience and sitting behind as we got through the windiest sections. Third lap I had a couple of goes at dropping him along the bottom of the course, to no avail. As we reached the top of the first hill, he pushed on, and I didn't have a lot left in response. However, I still had enough of a gap back to the leading lady that I didn't feel threatened in relation to losing any more places. A decent workout, which I was glad I took on. Most people's times were way down on what they normally would be.

7th place in 21:37, and 1st in my age category :)

Sun 26/2 - Club run, Phoenix Park

This has evolved in the last while, from what used to be just the group at 8:45, to the three groups this morning. 7 AM was too rich for my blood in relation to starting this kind of run on a Sunday, so I drove around for the 8 AM start. There were about ten of us for this, which became a 6/4 split going down Wellington Road. It wasn't as fast as last week, but still quick enough that I was happy to hang back with the second group. Two of us pushed on a bit for the last mile of this opening 5 mile stint.

To the car for a swig of water, and then back for the 8:45ers. Surprised that we weren't running the trails of the last few weeks, but happy enough. About six led off into the distance, but there was a second group of 10 or so where I was. We went down the Ordnance Survey road, into the teeth of the gale and then headed for Knockmaroon Gate before some respite as we headed downhill towards the Glen Pond. Back up the hill to the Glen Road, and then a rookie error from me. The leaders had ducked off down a steep hill towards the pedestrian gate on Chapelizod Road. Leading the second group, I assumed that we would be following? To my horror, they continued on alongside the road, while I tore off down the hill, and then had to work my @r$3 off going up another hill to catch them again just after the Cheshire Home. Well that certainly surprised one or two :cool:

After going up from Chapelizod Gate and through the S bends, we turned and headed around the side of the Magazine Fort instead of going to the bottom of the hill. Still feeling a bit bunched after the earlier episode, I had to fight to hang on as we crossed towards the intersection of Acres Road and Khyber Road. On reaching Chesterfield, the main body of the group turned right, and that was my cue to wish them well and head back towards Castleknock Gate.

11+ miles for this morning, less than 20 for the week. Thanks for reading!
    J.

Mon 27/2 - 4 miles approx. @ 9ish p/m

I had a day off work, and went along with my wife's suggestion to go for a run in St Catherine's Park. It's a park that I like, although I haven't run there very often.

After a breakfast which included sausage rolls and a triple chocolate muffin, following on from last night's bottle of Malbec and yesterday's club run, no records would be set here!

My route began from the car park beside the dressing rooms, up the drag towards the railway line and west until I reached the edge of Leixlip and the path turned southwards. Back east again around the back of more GAA pitches, then down the steep and twisty hill from the dog run to the Liffey. I crossed the Liffey bridge here and turned around. There was a fella trying to cycle up the hill as I was coming back. Poor man had to get off and walk. I still took some small pleasure in catching him just as the path levelled off at the dog run, although he was back on the bike as I overtook him. The run alongside the sports pitches to the BMX track ended my longer loop.

I could have done this again if I'd pushed myself, but with a limited window of time to do this, I opted for a shorter loop to finish. On this occasion, instead of going as far west as I could, I turned left down the path past the reservoir to the second car park, and then alongside the pitches to the BMX track as above.

Another year older, and a nice bonus run to start the day, on a cold but sunny morning.

Tue 28/2 - Rest

Work today and a double in college tonight, so I won't be running.

February Review

Bit of a mixed bag I'm afraid. Mileage is still pitifully low; something around 78/79 for the month. Having raced five times in the first six weekends of 2017 (with two parkruns as well), I had one race (and a parkrun) in the three that followed. This may not have been such a bad thing! A strong performance in the Garda XC wasn't followed up at ALSAA, although footwear malfunctions didn't help. I made it to Santry for a club 800/400 session early in the month, but I haven't followed it up, and had to scrap the sub 6 minute mile attempt I had planned. However I am getting to more Sunday morning club runs, which has been a positive.

Fós Le Teacht / Still To Come

I'm off to the picturesque surrounds of Carlingford on Saturday, taking on the 10k as opposed to the half. Also on the list for March is our club race on the 19th, although I'm not sure if I'll run that one. This will be followed by a sub 6 minute mile attempt on the 22nd, and a long awaited return to the K-Club for the BHAA 10k on the 25th. Finally, if I've anything in the legs after the K-Club, I might head for Dunboyne the next day. Slán go fóill.
    J.

Happy Birthday J another year wiser!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Happy Birthday J. Put your feet up for 10 minutes!

• Advertisement

Happy Birthday J another year wiser!

Thanks C, hope you're right!
    kin9pin wrote: »
    Happy Birthday J. Put your feet up for 10 minutes!

Cheers A ! Yes indeed, the first few weeks were a bit mad with so many races. However, you may or may not remember that at one stage I hoped that I could go to the Barcelona Marathon next week. Now that would have been fun at the current levels of mileage :eek:

I'm currently at a stage where I haven't enough long runs in the bag to race beyond 10k, and not enough short stuff to entertain serious thoughts of a 5k (let alone a mile) PB. But that should start changing come May. Your London training seems to be coming along nicely, keep up the good work!

Advertisement