Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cyrus wrote: »
    i dont think DD will walk big joe down, it will be more competitive than people think i reckon and DD will be in deep water at some stage but if i was betting id have it on him to win by KO 7th or 8th round.
    Worth noting that the longer the Kevin Johnson fight went on the less likely a Dubois ko victory looked. His power and snap seemed to fade quite a bit.

Yeah very exciting fight for all the reasons mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The cleaner and neater and more clinical punching from Dubois could see this end very early...

BUT, if Joyce can take a good shot, he has a good chance to press home and push the pace. He has a good engine....and we will see what Dubois is really made of

Dubois a deserved favorite, but not near to the level the bookies have him...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Joyce leaves himself very very open and he’s got busy but slow hands. Jennings caught him in the first round and he was very careful after that. If Dubois catches him early I can’t see him taking it. Getting through the first three rounds wont be easy. He’ll have to do well fighting defensively and I haven’t seen him do that at all yet in his career. If he gets through rounds 1-3 then he’s got a very impressive engine. He’s irked by how the bookies etc all see this and fighting with a bit of needle will do him no harm at all. He’s just got to channel it into the game plan. Gung ho is a bad idea for him. I feel like I’m looking hard to pathways for Joyce to win while those for Dubois look much more obvious. He’s got a job on his hands though. I think this is a much harder match for Dubois than he’s faced so far. That all said he is on the way up. This is still a stepping stone fight to European and world level. In your mid 20s that shouldn’t really bring your character into too much question. IF you’re in your mid 30s a big loss is a huge setback if you’ve got lofty ambitions. I have my doubts as to whether or not Joyce really fancies himself as a potential world champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Joyce may be slow and plodding, but he has a good engine.

I think Joyce might surprise a few posters here. I think he will be able to take Dubois's power and force a tko by round 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Joyce may be slow and plodding, but he has a good engine.

I think Joyce might surprise a few posters here. I think he will be able to take Dubois's power and force a tko by round 7.

Wouldn't surprise me ,
    I do think there is a great unknow in this fight ,
    I expect the above to happen maybe not in 7 but later on ,

I hope Dubois surprises me and get him out there quickly and in style
    Be great to see another top heavy weight emerge and I think Joyce is to old for that to be the case,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Wouldn't surprise me ,
    I do think there is a great unknow in this fight ,
    I expect the above to happen maybe not in 7 but later on ,

I hope Dubois surprises me and get him out there quickly and in style
    Be great to see another top heavy weight emerge and I think Joyce is to old for that to be the case,

Yes, i agree it would be good if that happens, but i just have the nagging feeling Dubois is not all he is cracked up to be. We'll soon see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I remember thinking David Price and Tom Dallas were on their way to becoming contenders :)

It’s always great to watch those fights live were the wheels fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,499 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well squinn2912 mentioned the most important thing I think.
    You'll know early in this fight if Joyce has any chance and it's about him keeping the gloves up.
    He leaves himself open and Dubois will put his lights out quickly if he isn't protecting himself.
    I think if he keeps out of trouble for a few rounds that he has a serious chance if Dubois tires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well squinn2912 mentioned the most important thing I think.
    You'll know early in this fight if Joyce has any chance and it's about him keeping the gloves up.
    He leaves himself open and Dubois will put his lights out quickly if he isn't protecting himself.
    I think if he keeps out of trouble for a few rounds that he has a serious chance if Dubois tires.

Worth noting also that Dubois has a mean left hook to the body and Jennings hurt Joyce bad with a body shot.

I don't think Joyce has the defensive ability to avoid taking shots early in this. He's just got to prove his durability. I'm not really convinced he's as durable as advertised but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Yes, i agree it would be good if that happens, but i just have the nagging feeling Dubois is not all he is cracked up to be. We'll soon see!

Same here. He has the smell of AJ about him in that he may look better than he is

• Advertisement

Some of the points mentioned making good sense to me. I think for Joyce to win he’s going to need to force Dubois to be on the back foot early on. Keep him honest and off balance with a good, quick jab. Defend better, especially to the body. Jennings really did hurt him and another shot may well have taken him out. But they can all be hurt.
    I dont think Joyce should approach things too cautiously. Nathan Gorman did that and he was overwhelmed. I think Joyce beats Gorman.
    Joyce has a big, long reach and a great output even if there’s not much steam in a lot of what he does. I just don’t see how he copes with being significantly slower than Dubois and without the same one punch power or neatness in combos. But Dubois is fairly untested. He needs to get in his face and ask him some questions. There are things he can do.

As for the wheels come off fights. They are great for generating discussion but I actually hate to see that. The aura gone forever. I love a seesaw fight where one is just about better than the other. It;s a bit like a penalty shoot out. I don’t like to see a team lose because their kicker froze or blasted it over the bar. I like to see positive things. When I’m rooting for a fighter though I do love an impressive ko so there’s clarity of thought for you all!!

Its nice when your prediction is on the money Joe with the late stoppage

Haha yea I think you should be getting more credit for the prediction too. Great performance from Joe. I’m not exactly shocked he won but I didn’t think he’d be as comfortable. He was doing damage from round 1 with a very intelligent jab.

So I expect Dubois to be inactive until the summer and then he’ll go back to KO collections against some cans. And that’s ok he’s 23 this level was likely too early for him. His team and he didn’t seem to have much of a plan other than to do what they always do. Joyce had a plan for Dubois and that’s what counted.

So Joyce where does he go next? The Usyk fight is the one he wants. I can see Usyk being in a gimme to wait on aj. A lot of moving parts at the moment. Pulev AJ is a good fight and there are no guarantees although I expect aj to win. Fury hasn’t said much lately other than to cancel his fight next month. Surely Whyte and Povetkin will reschedule soon unless there’s more to the Clovid story with Povetkin, I haven’t heard any more. So if it isn’t Usyk then who does Joyce go for?

A lot of talk that Yoka wasn’t great on Friday night, I didn’t see it but there’s a potential rematch for Joyce, especially if he wasn’t good.

If Dubois had won this fight we’d all be thinking Joyce was no good anyway but it was a good win. Now Joyce has won we’re full of new questions. Next match up for him needs to be a step up, at 35 if he’s going to come into world contention then he needs to get moving. I’d like to see him in a fight with the top guys. No one gets an easy night with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The general consensus is looking like
    Aj beats pulev and drops a belt to fight fury
    Usyk v Joyce duke it out for the belt

Too many variables really to be sure what’s going to happen

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

OmegaGene wrote: »
    The general consensus is looking like
    Aj beats pulev and drops a belt to fight fury
    Usyk v Joyce duke it out for the belt

Too many variables really to be sure what’s going to happen

You’d imagine usyk will have too much speed for joe but who knows

I like the juggernaut !

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Haha yea I think you should be getting more credit for the prediction too. Great performance from Joe. I’m not exactly shocked he won but I didn’t think he’d be as comfortable. He was doing damage from round 1 with a very intelligent jab.

So I expect Dubois to be inactive until the summer and then he’ll go back to KO collections against some cans. And that’s ok he’s 23 this level was likely too early for him. His team and he didn’t seem to have much of a plan other than to do what they always do. Joyce had a plan for Dubois and that’s what counted.

So Joyce where does he go next? The Usyk fight is the one he wants. I can see Usyk being in a gimme to wait on aj. A lot of moving parts at the moment. Pulev AJ is a good fight and there are no guarantees although I expect aj to win. Fury hasn’t said much lately other than to cancel his fight next month. Surely Whyte and Povetkin will reschedule soon unless there’s more to the Clovid story with Povetkin, I haven’t heard any more. So if it isn’t Usyk then who does Joyce go for?

A lot of talk that Yoka wasn’t great on Friday night, I didn’t see it but there’s a potential rematch for Joyce, especially if he wasn’t good.

If Dubois had won this fight we’d all be thinking Joyce was no good anyway but it was a good win. Now Joyce has won we’re full of new questions. Next match up for him needs to be a step up, at 35 if he’s going to come into world contention then he needs to get moving. I’d like to see him in a fight with the top guys. No one gets an easy night with him.

It’s a good thing it didn’t goto the judges one of them had Dubois 8/1 up starting the 10th

Joyce was controlling the fight from the 7th on imo and it was pretty even up to then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭normanoffside

It’s a good thing it didn’t goto the judges one of them had Dubois 8/1 up starting the 10th

Joyce was controlling the fight from the 7th on imo and it was pretty even up to then

Where are you getting that?

The scores were 7-2 DDD, 5-4 DDD and 7-3 Joyce

https://boxrec.com/en/event/818449/2565030

Where are you getting that?

The scores were 7-2 DDD, 5-4 DDD and 7-3 Joyce

https://boxrec.com/en/event/818449/2565030

Sorry must have been mistaken but the wide ddd card looked off imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

You’d imagine usyk will have too much speed for joe but who knows

I like the juggernaut !

Yes I think usyk will be way too fast for him but it only take a flurry of clatters and it’s all over

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Yes I think usyk will be way too fast for him but it only take a flurry of clatters and it’s all over

Not sure Joe lands them, and if he does, Usyk could take them. Joe is not a big hitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Sorry must have been mistaken but the wide ddd card looked off imo

One Judge gave DDD all of the first 6 and another Gave Joyce the 1st but DDD the next 5,
    Those first 6 rounds were very tight to be fair

En9Irw0XUAAdc3S.jpg

One Judge gave DDD all of the first 6 and another Gave Joyce the 1st but DDD the next 5,
    Those first 6 rounds were very tight to be fair

En9Irw0XUAAdc3S.jpg

They were but to score them all to DDD wasn’t right imo especially as he was marking up early joe was clearly getting to him constantly with the jab whereas DDD was fighting in flurries

Anyone else disappointed with bunceys interview ?

It was more about Dubois losing than Joyce winning

Difficult lads to interview. Not much going on

But, the manner of the loss would see the interviewer focus more on this..

walshb wrote: »
    Difficult lads to interview. Not much going on

But, the manner of the loss would see the interviewer focus more on this..

Dubois is very bad , joe ain’t great but he is better , but they kept cutting him off .

I’m sure he won’t care but it was a bit disrespectful imo .

Ive long given up expecting anything from Steve Bunce. Stealing a living. I think his best attribute is his accent? Parasite.

I thought more should have been made of Joyce having been a 3/1 underdog. He bossed that fight. Surprised by the scorecards. He was in control almost throughout. Not a scratch on him and Dubois eye was a mess and all around the nose area well beat up. Lips looked puffed too and he was breathing very heavily. Joe could still be fighting. He operates in a difficult 3rd gear and opponents find it very hard to get to him. This was a massive win for him and as I say he looked in charge most of the time.

Maybe less made of it since the most likely next fight is Usyk. He’s got a small pool of fighters that he can fight next. Either Usyk non title or fight for a belt. I wouldn’t be confident in saying who wins Joyce Usyk. I think he’d have a great contest with Whyte or Chisora and likely beat both. I think the big 3 all stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'm disappointed every time I hear the sound of Steve Bunce's voice. I absolutely cannot have him.

I think Joes a very smart fella when it comes to his boxing style,
    He uses a style that gets 100% oit of the abilities he has,
    He tries nothing flashy or even creative, he just keeps his length and hit you with 20-30% of his power as often as he can and hopes to just wear you down,

DDD tried to bait him into a fire fight and few tomes but Joe kept his discipline and stuck to the game plan amd DDD just had no answer to it

The manner of the defeat was pretty bad for DDD he basically gave up and ran put of ideas

Joe is no world beater but hes good at the basics, big, fit and tough as old boots

I think Joes a very smart fella when it comes to his boxing style,
    He uses a style that gets 100% oit of the abilities he has,
    He tries nothing flashy or even creative, he just keeps his length and hit you with 20-30% of his power as often as he can and hopes to just wear you down,

DDD tried to bait him into a fire fight and few tomes but Joe kept his discipline and stuck to the game plan amd DDD just had no answer to it

The manner of the defeat was pretty bad for DDD he basically gave up and ran put of ideas

Joe is no world beater but hes good at the basics, big, fit and tough as old boots

Yea I think you make a good point as always. There;s nothing flashy or exciting about JJ but he’s a nightmare to fight. The Usyk fight could be available in the next 6 months but if that gets put on the back burner then it will be because Usyk is having the AJ or Fury fight. Joe may well get a crack at Fury if AJ decided to take on Usyk (better chance of prolonging his reign) or if Pulev caused an injury (can see him beating aj). So where would Joyce go? I could see him fight Yoka he’s bound to fancy that at some stage.

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Yea I think you make a good point as always. There;s nothing flashy or exciting about JJ but he’s a nightmare to fight. The Usyk fight could be available in the next 6 months but if that gets put on the back burner then it will be because Usyk is having the AJ or Fury fight. Joe may well get a crack at Fury if AJ decided to take on Usyk (better chance of prolonging his reign) or if Pulev caused an injury (can see him beating aj). So where would Joyce go? I could see him fight Yoka he’s bound to fancy that at some stage.

Hes very boring but he does the basics very well
    I think because he became a pro so late in life he doesnt need to play upto his ego or try be something he is not he is happy just to do what he has to do to win,

Theres lots of good fights for him now, Whyte,Uysk, AVP, even Wilder, i could see ways he could ends up in the ring with any of then,
    In saying that he may not beat any of them

Advertisement